PDA

View Full Version : Who do you acquire for next year.

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Although the 2008 season is not over, I would like to hear some thoughts and get a good discussion going on who of this list the Sox should make a huge effort to sign for next season given the current conditions.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

This is not the most complete or comprehensive list, nor is it totally up to date, but it might help stimulate this conversation.

Let's play GM....starting......NOW.....

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Let's play GM....starting......NOW.....Many of our posters do it all year long.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Ryan Zimmerman. Nationals look to rebuild. Again.

btrain929
09-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Adrian Beltre or Garrett Atkins for 3B. Reggie Willits for CF. Chone/O-Dog for 2B.

How will we get them? I have no ****ing idea.

getonbckthr
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
No. 1) Chone Figgins. Not a player like Chone Figine but THEE Chone Figgins :cool:
No. 2) Left handed relief pitcher
No. 3) 5th starter
No. 4) Move Konerko (if possible) and Dye. Why DYe? his value could be extremely high to where a team on the cusp could make a mistake in what they give up (example Mariners this year).

I want Mags back
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
what's the score?

EDIT: Thank you mods

LITTLE NELL
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't care who they are; but we need a proven leadoff man who can steal a base and a #2 hitter who can bunt and pull off a hit and run now and then. Aparicio and Fox would be just fine.

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2008, 02:51 PM
I can see KW pursuing Casey Blake/Mark Ellis.

asindc
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Ryan Zimmerman. Nationals look to rebuild. Again.

I think the Nats view Zimmerman as the future face of the franchise. Would love to see it happen, though.

gregoriop
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I would like to see Chone Figgins play for us.

whitesox901
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
1. Sign a 5th starter: Either C.C. Sabathia, Been Sheets, Oliver Perez or Pedro Martinez. CC Would of course be the best option, Another big Lefty Ace caliber pitcher in there with Mark. Sheets would be a good starter to add if he can stay healthy. Oliver Perez when he hascontrol, can be a damn good young starter. And Pedro can be a back of the rotation starter, as was Orlando Hernandez in '05.

2. If Getz isnt ready for second in 09' id say sign Mark Grudzielanek for a one year deal (Yes, another Royal on the White Sox)

3. Trade Konerko (If Possible) to LAA for Darren Oliver and Reggie Willitz.

4. The realistic option: Kenny William will go under the radar and make a trade thats gonna blow our minds! :tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Folks:

I'm not going to say that I'd be willing to bet my life on this, but given what's been happening this final week right in front of Kenny and given that Ozzie has been quoted numerous times the past two off seasons about it and from literally EVERYTHING I'm hearing from folks who should know about these things, the Sox are going after:

1. Chone Figgins
2. Orlando Hudson

Both long time Kenny favorites. Figgins would play 3rd with Hudson at 2nd and Ramirez moving to short. They are also going to need a starting pitcher but the things I'm hearing are they haven't decided how to approach that area. Many are in favor of bringing up Aaron Poreda into the 5th slot next year, some aren't and want the Sox to go the veteran route.

You can rule out, 100% definitely rule it out, that the Sox will spend the money to get a pitcher like C.C. Sabathia. That is simply not on the table.

Lip

alohafri
09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
1. Sign a 5th starter: Either C.C. Sabathia, Been Sheets, Oliver Perez or Pedro Martinez.

Pedro Martinez? I think I just saw his arm on the side of the Stevenson Expressway!

twinsuck1
09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
We need SPEED!!! Is there any chance of us trading for Brian Roberts? Is It just me or Is Chone Figgins a little overated by KW?

soxfan43
09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Folks:

I'm not going to say that I'd be willing to bet my life on this, but given what's been happening this final week right in front of Kenny and given that Ozzie has been quoted numerous times the past two off seasons about it and from literally EVERYTHING I'm hearing from folks who should know about these things, the Sox are going after:

1. Chone Figgins
2. Orlando Hudson

Both long time Kenny favorites. Figgins would play 3rd with Hudson at 2nd and Ramirez moving to short. They are also going to need a starting pitcher but the things I'm hearing are they haven't decided how to approach that area. Many are in favor of bringing up Aaron Poreda into the 5th slot next year, some aren't and want the Sox to go the veteran route.

You can rule out, 100% definitely rule it out, that the Sox will spend the money to get a pitcher like C.C. Sabathia. That is simply not on the table.

Lip

As much as I would love getting Figgins and/or Hudson, it does worry me both those guys spent a lot of time on the DL this year(had both those guys on my fantasy team too). I'd prefer to maybe take a gamble on one and try to find a guy with less injury history to fill the other hole. As far as moving Konerko goes, let's get serious here, the Sox are stuck with him. He's got full no trade protection and a high salary with no production to back it up. Face it. Paulie and Thome will 99.999% be back next year. The idea of trading Dye intrigues me though. He's obviously had a great year overall for the Sox but he is also the most realistic trade asset, unless Kenny tries to move Javy. This team needs to get younger, faster and more athletic. JD fits in none of those categories. If he can bring back some of those types of players, I'm all for it.

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
We need SPEED!!! Is there any chance of us trading for Brian Roberts? Is It just me or Is Chone Figgins a little overated by KW?
I'd love to get Roberts, but I don't think we have the pieces to get him, our best chance of getting him was trading for him in March with Fields...although with Hudson, Figgins and Alexei on the same team we'd have a lot of speed.

thedudeabides
09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Folks:

1. Chone Figgins
2. Orlando Hudson

Lip

Lip,

Help me out. I have seen on this site and many other that Figgins is a free agent and yet others say he is not. Anyone know for sure?

Evman5
09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
All I ask for is to create a more balanced team, which means a few less power hitters and some more speed/contact guys...no need to go all out Minnesota Twins style....but something along the lines of:

1. BA in centerfield- I think he is ready but others may disagree
2. I like Orlando Hudson for 2b
3. I like Chone Figgins for 3b

Put Figgins and Hudson at the top of the lineup. Maybe a lineup of:

2b- Hudson
3b- Figgins
LF- TCQ
DH- Thome
RF- Dye
1b- Konerko
C- AJP
SS- Alexei
CF- Anderson

I would probably look to unload one of Dye/Konerko/Thome. I am not sure what you do with Swish. Ideally I would have him replace Konerko if we were somehow able to trade him. Even this lineup if flawed with too many station to station hitters in the middle.

DSpivack
09-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Lip,

Help me out. I have seen on this site and many other that Figgins is a free agent and yet others say he is not. Anyone know for sure?

He doesn't have a contract per se (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim.html), but I believe the Angels still have his rights for one more season.

thedudeabides
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
He doesn't have a contract per se (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim.html), but I believe the Angels still have his rights for one more season.

I see, I guess that's where the confusion somes in. Thanks

btrain929
09-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Folks:

1. Chone Figgins
2. Orlando Hudson

Lip

Chone isn't a FA until after '09, so the question would be: 1) what would it take to get Chone off the Angels hands when he is just a 1 year rental (Konerko if Tex doesn't resign?), and 2) would we attempt to sign him to an extension to keep him here, or let him go after '09 for draft picks?

Lip Man 1
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Btrain and others:

Figgins is NOT a free agent there are some option clauses involved that will probably keep him in Anaheim one more season.

Again I can only pass along what a source in the media told me. The Sox will deal for Figgins as soon as the Angels sign Joe Crede. (Now if Kenny can find the evidence to press tampering charges against Boras and the Angels that might not come to pass.)

Figgins is not well liked by his teammates or the organization according to the same source. He might be had for a song if they are trying to dump him.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Btrain and others:

Figgins is NOT a free agent there are some option clauses involved that will probably keep him in Anaheim one more season.

Again I can only pass along what a source in the media told me. The Sox will deal for Figgins as soon as the Angels sign Joe Crede. (Now if Kenny can find the evidence to press tampering charges against Boras and the Angels that might not come to pass.)

Figgins is not well liked by his teammates or the organization according to the same source. He might be had for a song if they are trying to dump him.

Lip
I don't want to give up "Don't Stop Believing" or "Go-Go White Sox." Would they like that "R-O-W-D-Y that's the way we spell rowdy, woo!"

btrain929
09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
One guy I'd really like to see the Sox pursue is Derek Lowe. He'll be a FA, and has been posting sub-4 ERA's for the past 4 years. He's also more realistic then people suggesting CC and Sheets on this site. He'll give you his 200 IP's as well. I know he's 35 and I know he's been doing it in the NL, but if he'll take a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year, I'd jump on it. His sinkerball would play well at the 'Cell, too....

3 veterans in the rotations + 2 young guys = me likey.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-26-2008, 12:30 PM
If the Angels still have a hard-on for Konerko and cannot sign Teix, then perhaps Figgins can be had.

Boondock Saint
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I've just come to the conclusion that we have almost EXACTLY the same needs going into this offseason as we did the last. We need more speed, a CF that can hit for average and play defense, another starting pitcher, a 3B, and bullpen help.

We've taken huge steps forward in the last season, but we've also taken steps backward. Crede is as good as gone, and Uribe is not the everyday answer at 3rd. Griffey had better not be back considering that he isn't producing, and we've got him playing CF. Swisher is not a CF, and we don't have a spot for him unless we get rid of Konerko or Dye. So there's still a lot to do.

Tekijawa
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Somehow I see us ending up with the exact same team next year with the exception of Griffey and Cabrrera. What that means is older and slower and more reliant on the home run.

Figgens and Hudson will be signed by someone else and we will have been a close second for both of them. We will land these "favorites" maybe 7 years from now when they are old an washed up. I will not get hyped about any possibilities until they are in uniform.

Let me also say that we need to find some players that aren't "good guys". I'm sick hearing how great these guys are, let's get some jagbags. Some Jagbags that can bunt, steal a base, maybe go oposite field occasionally? Maybe some one who will be caught yelling at another guy in the clubhouse because he looks like he isn't trying. Every one looks too comfortable.

I think walker needs to go. I see his approach to batting as Swing Early, Swing hard! HR's are exciting but so is what the Twins did last night!

btrain929
09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I've just come to the conclusion that we have almost EXACTLY the same needs going into this offseason as we did the last. We need more speed, a CF that can hit for average and play defense, another starting pitcher, a 3B, and bullpen help.

We've taken huge steps forward in the last season, but we've also taken steps backward. Crede is as good as gone, and Uribe is not the everyday answer at 3rd. Griffey had better not be back considering that he isn't producing, and we've got him playing CF. Swisher is not a CF, and we don't have a spot for him unless we get rid of Konerko or Dye. So there's still a lot to do.

Eh, not really. As far as bullpen help, we came into this year having Jenks, Wassermann (ha), and nobody else. This year, we have Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel (he's still better than what other teams are throwing in the 6th/7th inn), and Carrasco. We might be looking to add 1 guy, where this offseason we were looking to add about 3-4.

SP, we came into the season having confidence in Mark and a little bit in Javy. Danks had a rough rookie year, Floyd was unproven, and Contreras was old and bad. Going into the offseason, I have confidence in Mark, John, Gavin, and Javy as a #3-4. So again, better.

We also did a great job of injecting youth and avg-above avg speed into our lineup with Alexei and Quentin.

I don't think our offseason will be a huge shakeup like some think. I DO hope to see solid upgrades at 3B, 5th starter, and CF, however. I'll gladly take Adrian Beltre/Chone Figgins, Derek Lowe, and Willy Taveras, and call it a day :)

Optipessimism
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Very good players I'd like to see the Sox target:
-Figgins
-Roberts
-Hudson depending on his salary and contract demands
-Furcal, again depending on contract length and salary requirements
-Juan Cruz - PLEASE get this guy, if he wants $6-7mil or less give it to him, he can set up, work multiple innings at a time, handle a large workload, and is a veteran with very good stuff

Lower cost, potential high reward players I'd like to see the Sox target:
-Jeremy Hermida - he's supposed to become available and I don't know who the Sox would move to play him but I want him on this team
-Willy Taveras - great CF, horrible year, very nice career apart from that and would be a great 9th option to turn the lineup over with the upside of becoming a lead-off man again
-Ian Snell - very good stuff, looks like a Coop project, signed longterm to a reasonable deal, maybe the Pirates would be interested in Swish straight up if they plan on moving LaRoche?
-Mark Grudzielanek - short term deal, cheap cost, good production, capable #2 hitter if Hudson's demands are outrageous

Jimmy Piersall
09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Somehow I see us ending up with the exact same team next year with the exception of Griffey and Cabrrera. What that means is older and slower and more reliant on the home run.

Figgens and Hudson will be signed by someone else and we will have been a close second for both of them. We will land these "favorites" maybe 7 years from now when they are old an washed up. I will not get hyped about any possibilities until they are in uniform.

Let me also say that we need to find some players that aren't "good guys". I'm sick hearing how great these guys are, let's get some jagbags. Some Jagbags that can bunt, steal a base, maybe go oposite field occasionally? Maybe some one who will be caught yelling at another guy in the clubhouse because he looks like he isn't trying. Every one looks too comfortable.

I think walker needs to go. I see his approach to batting as Swing Early, Swing hard! HR's are exciting but so is what the Twins did last night!

Speaking of jagbags,how about Nick Punto ? i could be wrong,but i
think he's going to be on the market.Could start some,play a couple
of IF spots and we know just how much of a prick he is...

guillen4life13
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I actually think moving Dye would be a decent idea. Sell high and bring in some good talent and fix the logjam in the outfield.

Put Swisher and Quentin in the corner OF spots and put Anderson in CF with Wise on the bench as the reserve OF.

I'd really be happy trading Dye for Brian Roberts and a decent farmhand if Roberts and the Orioles don't agree to a deal. The Sox would be trading a year or Dye for a year of Roberts plus a minor leaguer. I think that's a decent deal.

Then for 3B, trade for someone like Zimmerman as mentioned before.

The bullpen is a lot more confusing to me right now though.

SoxSpeed22
09-26-2008, 02:29 PM
What I want to happen is for the team to get more versatile.

Trades:
Chone Figgins: If the Angels land Crede or Casey Blake, Figgins becomes expendable. If the Angels also lose Mark Tiexiera to the Yankees or someone else, Jim Thome becomes an excellent trade option. Assuming the Angels can put together a good package of prospects and relievers.
Fernando Perez: If the Rays are in 'win-now' mode, they may sacrifice some of the future for the present. Perez has been a lead-off man for as long as he's played baseball. He can steal, play great defense at centerfield, but he is a rookie. I want him to lead off in the future, but not in 2009. Hopefully Jr. will want to go there and have a shot at winning as a DH or right fielder.

Free Agents:
Orlando Hudson: Cabrera is on his way out. Hudson is a great #2 hitter and should work well with Alexei.
Trever Miller: Gives us another lefty reliever, at least we can say goodbye to Boone Logan.
Jay Payton: Experienced utility outfielder who can spot-start games and pinch-run.

Lineup
3B- C. Figgins
2B- O. Hudson
LF- TCQ
RF- J. Dye
DH- P. Konerko
1B- N. Swisher
SS- A. Ramirez
C- AJ Pierzynski
CF- F. Perez

Bench
IF- J. Uribe
OF- B. Anderson
OF- J. Payton
C- T. Hall
IF- C. Getz

Starting pitchers
SP- M. Buehrle
SP- G. Floyd
SP- J. Vazquez
SP- J. Danks
SP- Duel between Richard and Broadway

Bullpen
CL- B. Jenks
RHP- S. Linebrink
RHP- O. Dotel
LHP- M. Thornton
LHP- T. Miller
P- Whoever loses between Richard and Broadway

Overall, some extra power is sacrificed for more speed and versatility. There are still home run threats, but there are also guys who can make things happen on the bases. Depending on the pitching, this is a more competitive team. The main problem is that there isn't a big power bat off the bench.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is assuming Contreras in gone for 2009.

gr8mexico
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
If I was GM I would start by trading Javier Vazquez(11.5MIL) Jermaine Dye(9.5MIL),and If I could Paul Konerko(12MIL) even If I have to eat some of the contract. Then Let Joe Crede(5.1MIL) and O.C(9MIL) go BYE BYE. I would save around 45 MIL. Then sign Orlando Hudson (9MIL),Rocco Baldelli(6.5MIL)with incentives and Oliver Perez(10MIL) and resign Uribe(1MIL). Then trade for Garrett Atkins(6MIL). That's a total of 32.5MIL.
1. Orlando Hudson 2B
2. Nick Swisher 1B
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Alexei Ramirez SS
5. Jim Thome DH
6. Garrett Atkins 3B
7. Rocco Baldelli CF
8. A.J C
9. Brian Anderson RF

SP. Mark Buehrle
SP. Gavin Floyd
SP. John Danks
SP. Oliver Perez
SP. Jose Contreras/Clayton Richards

The team becomes very young

Noneck
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Trades:
Chone Figgins: If the Angels land Crede or Casey Blake, Figgins becomes expendable. If the Angels also lose Mark Tiexiera to the Yankees or someone else, Jim Thome becomes an excellent trade option. Assuming the Angels can put together a good package of prospects and relievers.
Fernando Perez: If the Rays are in 'win-now' mode, they may sacrifice some of the future for the present. Perez has been a lead-off man for as long as he's played baseball. He can steal, play great defense at centerfield, but he is a rookie. I want him to lead off in the future, but not in 2009. Hopefully Jr. will want to go there and have a shot at winning as a DH or right fielder.

Thome for Figgins? Never going to happen.

Jr. for Perez? Forgetaboutit

Domeshot17
09-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I would like Roberts for 2nd Figgins for 3rd. We also need a front line true number 1 SP. A guy we can count on to win a game in the last series. Floyd isn't that, Danks might be in 2-3 years, Burls just isn't talented enough to be a number 1 and Javy does not have the stones to be one. Put a REAL ace in front of those 4 and its the best rotation in the AL.

go into 2009 with

1 Figgins 3b
2 Roberts 2b
3 Quentin LF
4 Dye RF
5 Thome DH
6 TCM SS
7 AJ C
8 Swisher 1b
9 Anderson CF (enough of this bull ****, I don't care what our 9 hitter brings us offensively, Anderson has too good of a glove to not use)

Rotation

Sheets
Danks
Burls
Floyd
Vaz

Thats a world series calibur team right there

also, I think the guy who is going to save the bullpen next year: Clayton Richard

soxfan43
09-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I actually think moving Dye would be a decent idea. Sell high and bring in some good talent and fix the logjam in the outfield.

Put Swisher and Quentin in the corner OF spots and put Anderson in CF with Wise on the bench as the reserve OF.

I'd really be happy trading Dye for Brian Roberts and a decent farmhand if Roberts and the Orioles don't agree to a deal. The Sox would be trading a year or Dye for a year of Roberts plus a minor leaguer. I think that's a decent deal.

Then for 3B, trade for someone like Zimmerman as mentioned before.

The bullpen is a lot more confusing to me right now though.

Dye for Brian Roberts and a prospect? Why on earth would Baltimore do that? THey are rebuilding, they have no use for an aging corner outfielder with no speed. If they move roberts, it's going to be for some prospects. Most likely prospects that the WHite Sox do not have.

PatK
09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I want a legitimate center fielder, leadoff man, and someone to replace Contreras (who will be out).

khan
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
If I was GM I would start by trading Javier Vazquez(11.5MIL) Jermaine Dye(9.5MIL),
I disagree. Both of these contracts are reasonable, given their production. Dye's is especially under-market, but his age and that he's only signed for one more year counterbalance this status. I'd keep both.

and If I could Paul Konerko(12MIL) even If I have to eat some of the contract.
Agreed, but I don't think this can happen. If it did, I'd be happy, because I don't think he's much of a leader, and he very well might be finitu.

Then Let Joe Crede(5.1MIL) and O.C(9MIL) go BYE BYE.
Agreed. Then hopefully, Kenny doesn't waste the compensatory pick(s) on yet another former football player that can't run, catch, throw, or hit for average.

Then sign Orlando Hudson (9MIL),Rocco Baldelli(6.5MIL)with incentives
I like both of these players to varying degrees, and I could envision a situation wherein both could end up here.

and Oliver Perez(10MIL)
No. I don't think this guy is very good. Besides, market price for this guy will probably be closer to ~$13 - $15M/year over 3 years. I can't see the chairman signing off on such a contract, either.

and resign Uribe(1MIL).
He's making more than that now; I doubt he'd take another pay cut. However, I think he's earned another year, IMO.

Then trade for Garrett Atkins(6MIL). That's a total of 32.5MIL.
I'd like to see Atkins, but I don't think there are enough pieces to trade for him.

I'd also rather have Figgins, but I don't exactly know how the Sox plan to get him on the team.

EuroSox35
09-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Is there any chance of us trading for Brian Roberts? Is It just me or Is Chone Figgins a little overated by KW?

I think he is by our fans a bit. I don't know, I have a feeling he's the type who'd come over and hit .240-.260

CashMan
09-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Put a REAL ace in front of those 4 and its the best rotation in the AL.

Rotation

Sheets
Danks
Burls
Floyd
Vaz

Thats a world series calibur team right there

also, I think the guy who is going to save the bullpen next year: Clayton Richard

Have you not been paying attention to the Brew Crew? It sounds like Sheets might have some sort of surgery on him arm. And you want to sign him?

CashMan
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
We also need a front line true number 1 SP. A guy we can count on to win a game in the last series. Floyd isn't that, Danks might be in 2-3 years, Burls just isn't talented enough to be a number 1 and Javy does not have the stones to be one.

I find this comical! I think Floyd can and will be a solid #2, Danks has the stuff to be an Ace, who was it last year who pitched a no-hitter? Javy is a .500 pitcher. Mark is a pitcher who wants the hitter to put it into play, which would require the best defensive team on the field.

chaerulez
09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't know how well Milton Bradley can play CF anymore, but they should look into getting him. He can't play the position any worse than Griffey, and I assume he is at least on par with Swisher.

WhiffleBall
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Is Philly going to be paying part of Thome's $13 million next year or do we have to pay the whole thing?

palehozenychicty
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I find this comical! I think Floyd can and will be a solid #2, Danks has the stuff to be an Ace, who was it last year who pitched a no-hitter? Javy is a .500 pitcher. Mark is a pitcher who wants the hitter to put it into play, which would require the best defensive team on the field.

These guys are good pitchers, but hardly feared. Nobody's losing sleep over them. Then again, there are only a handful of aces in the game, and nobody's giving them up for anything.

If you don't grow them, you need the money. We need to plant the seeds for one. If we can get one in front of Danks and Floyd, especially, then we're in business.

More athleticism would be nice, but I don't know how much they can do this offseason. Time will tell.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I've heard they are on the hook for five million or so.

Lip

spiffie
09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Is Philly going to be paying part of Thome's $13 million next year or do we have to pay the whole thing?
No one knows. MLB contracts are a private matter between team and player. Anyone who says otherwise is simply guessing.

gr8mexico
09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I disagree. Both of these contracts are reasonable, given their production. Dye's is especially under-market, but his age and that he's only signed for one more year counterbalance this status. I'd keep both.

Agreed, but I don't think this can happen. If it did, I'd be happy, because I don't think he's much of a leader, and he very well might be finitu.

Agreed. Then hopefully, Kenny doesn't waste the compensatory pick(s) on yet another former football player that can't run, catch, throw, or hit for average.

I like both of these players to varying degrees, and I could envision a situation wherein both could end up here.

No. I don't think this guy is very good. Besides, market price for this guy will probably be closer to ~$13 - $15M/year over 3 years. I can't see the chairman signing off on such a contract, either.

He's making more than that now; I doubt he'd take another pay cut. However, I think he's earned another year, IMO.

I'd like to see Atkins, but I don't think there are enough pieces to trade for him.

I'd also rather have Figgins, but I don't exactly know how the Sox plan to get him on the team.
If you trade Dye and Vazquez then I'm sure the Sox will have enough to trade for Atkins. Dye and Vazquez are the best pieces the Sox have that can actually bring in something good. The Sox need young players with positive attitudes. The way the economy is I'm not sure the owners would want to give out extra money next year. So im sure no one is going to pay Oliver 13 to 15 mil a year. That's Ben sheet type money

getonbckthr
09-26-2008, 06:06 PM
What is with the Orlando Hudson love? I'll Mark Grudzielanek to do the same thing for about 30% of the cost. Oliver Perez? He is no where near worth what he will get.

khan
09-26-2008, 06:08 PM
If you trade Dye and Vazquez then I'm sure the Sox will have enough to trade for Atkins. Dye and Vazquez are the best pieces the Sox have that can actually bring in something good. The Sox need young players with positive attitudes. The way the economy is I'm not sure the owners would want to give out extra money next year.
And that's why the Sox would be wise to hold onto Dye, who is well out-performing his contract. Vazquez's performance is even with his contract, under the current market conditions in MLB, so the Sox would be wise to hold onto him as well. Whether Vazquez is a big game player or not, his is a reasonable contract nowadays.

So im sure no one is going to pay Oliver 13 to 15 mil a year. That's Ben sheet type money
I disagree. If a festering piece of crap like Carl Pavano is making $11M/year, then a middling starter Oliver Perez can easily get a stupid GM to pay him $13M to $15M/yr. If Vazquez is making $11.5M/year, then Oliver Perez can easily get more money as well. These may be ridiculous prices for starting pitchers, but this is the market reality.

gosox41
09-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Although the 2008 season is not over, I would like to hear some thoughts and get a good discussion going on who of this list the Sox should make a huge effort to sign for next season given the current conditions.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

This is not the most complete or comprehensive list, nor is it totally up to date, but it might help stimulate this conversation.

Let's play GM....starting......NOW.....

Orlando Hudson, Willy Tavarez, & Chone Figgins.

I want speed.

gosox41
09-26-2008, 11:58 PM
What is with the Orlando Hudson love? I'll Mark Grudzielanek to do the same thing for about 30% of the cost. Oliver Perez? He is no where near worth what he will get.

Chronic back problems for Grudz.