PDA

View Full Version : Scenario Analysis

twentywontowin
09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
As we stand today:

White Sox - 86-71
Twins - 86-72

Now, for the Twins to clinch, they need to be up a full two games on us in the win column, since one game won't do it and you can't win half a game.

With a win tonight, we force Minnesota to have to sweep the Royals to clinch.

With the White Sox winning tonight, we need to pull off two wins out of the possible four left to play without needing help in Minnesota losses.

We're still plenty alive.

chaerulez
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
A win tonight almost makes the last two games moot and puts the Sox in a very favorable position. Three games would have passed, and the Twins only gained one game on the Sox.

It would force some sort of meltdown by the Sox and a sweep by the Twins (which is still hard to do against any team even a bad team like the Royals) for them to have a chance. Basically all the Sox had to do was one game to almost clinch, but now they've put the pressure on themselves by losing the first two.

twentywontowin
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
A win tonight almost makes the last two games moot and puts the Sox in a very favorable position. Three games would have passed, and the Twins only gained one game on the Sox.

It would force some sort of meltdown by the Sox and a sweep by the Twins (which is still hard to do against any team even a bad team like the Royals) for them to have a chance. Basically all the Sox had to do was one game to almost clinch, but now they've put the pressure on themselves by losing the first two.

It basically comes down to a win tonight keeps our destiny in our hands.

comet2k
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The Sox magic number is stuck at 5, but the Twins have lowered their's to 6 from 10.

If Sox win tonight, their magic number drops to 3, and they have 3 games vs. Indians and, if necessary, 1 vs. Tigers and 1 vs. Twins to make that number.

Twins win tonight and their magic number is 4, and the Sox can't afford to lose any to the Indians.

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
As has been said in another post, if the Sox win tonight the past two games are rendered moot and we're in an ok spot (even though we should be in a bit better of a spot)...if we lose tonight, we still have a chance...but...man, it's not good.

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
The Sox magic number is stuck at 5, but the Twins have lowered their's to 6 from 10.

If Sox win tonight, their magic number drops to 3, and they have 3 games vs. Indians and, if necessary, 1 vs. Tigers and 1 vs. Twins to make that number.

Twins win tonight and their magic number is 4, and the Sox can't afford to lose any to the Indians.

I feel like if we can get the W tonight, it puts the ball in their court. Remember, this is virtually the same Twins team that came from behind 2 years ago around this time to steal the division from the "mighty" Detriot Tigers even though the T's were the best team that year.

WhiteSox5187
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I feel like if we can get the W tonight, it puts the ball in their court. Remember, this is virtually the same Twins team that came from behind 2 years ago around this time to steal the division from the "mighty" Detriot Tigers even though the T's were the best team that year.
It's not even close, that team had Hunter, Santana and Radke...this team has Morneau and Mauer.

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
It's not even close, that team had Hunter, Santana and Radke...this team has Morneau and Mauer.

Yes but they pulled it off. The coaching staff is the same. Some managers are underrated and Mr. Ron G is one of them in Minnesota. They sometimes do just enough to get by.

I don't always ask for a WS title, but look at the Yankees. They fired Joe Torre and he is going to get in with a different team. Just getting there year after year should be something to celebrate, let alone winning it.

Guess I am saying that I have to give some credit to the Twins coaches for keeping them in this when they were going to be in or near last place, right moves at the right time.

When I said same team, I meant it in terms of what we have seen over the years with the coaching staff. Very sorry if I was a bit off in my wording, I sometimes have trouble with that.

I hate the scenario, but I still have to give the Sox the upperhand on this one.

FielderJones
09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
It basically comes down to a win tonight keeps our destiny in our hands.

Nope, we have our destiny in our hands regardless.

To avoid a playoff game with us, the Twinkies need the Jndjans to win one more game than the Royals win. If the Sox and Twinkies both sweep their final series, the Twinkies need the Tiggers to win game 162. If we win that game, the Twinkies have to beat us in our house.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
As we stand today:

White Sox - 86-71
Twins - 86-72

Now, for the Twins to clinch, they need to be up a full two games on us in the win column, since one game won't do it and you can't win half a game.

With the White Sox winning tonight, we need to pull off two wins out of the possible four left to play without needing help in Minnesota losses.

We're still plenty alive.

If the Twins run the table on KC, we have to win 3 of the 4 games at home to avoid the Tie Breaker vs Minn.

So we do need Minn to drop at least 1 vs KC to avoid having to play on Monday unless we sweep the Tribe also.

NoNeckEra
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Even if Min wins tonite, they can't clinch by sweeping K.C.
They can only clinch a tie, forcing us to play Detroit Monday to finish tied, and force a Tuesday playoff at the Cell. This assumes we match their K.C. wins with wins against Cleve.

nsdjoe
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Even if Min wins tonite, they can't clinch by sweeping K.C.
They can only clinch a tie, forcing us to play Detroit Monday to finish tied, and force a Tuesday playoff at the Cell. This assumes we match their K.C. wins with wins against Cleve.

Of course they can clinch by sweeping KC. If they win tonight, they're .5 up. If they sweep and we win 2/3, they'll be 1.5 up and have clinched.