PDA

View Full Version : We're not Sox Fans, we're anti Cubs fans that can't find a we hate the Cubs forum

Pages : [1] 2

CantuSox
09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Saw this hat @ Walmart in Sterling, IL (area where I live). It made me laugh out loud! Bet they will be discounted in a few more weeks!

rdwj
09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow - that's lame

thomas35forever
09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
They have t-shirts saying the same thing.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
P.T. Barnum was right.

kittle42
09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Talk about the perfect foot in mouth apparel.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Talk about the perfect foot in mouth apparel.

Just about every Cub fan I know will have their leg to the thigh in their mouths in a few weeks.

Madscout
09-19-2008, 07:09 PM
If I was a cubs fan, I would not be happy with that. They don't need anymore **** to jinx it. Not that I believe in curses or anything, but this kinda **** is the stuff that will fire up a team that is playing you.

DeadMoney
09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
If the Cubs don't win it all, it's going to be an awful hard fall for Cubs fans.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Gang:

Just a warning so that you don't lose it. Be prepared to have the Sox game on WGN-TV Saturday interrupted by Cubs post game celebration / activities if they clinch by beating the Cardinals.

WGN has never failed to break into programming since 1983 when either the Sox or Cubs have clinched.

It's just bad timing that it might happen when the Sox are on and in a dogfight.

You may want to have your radio or MLB audio ready just in case.

Lip

slavko
09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Buy! Buy! You're going to have a helluva market in a few weeks. I would proudly wear one everywhere.

kittle42
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I hope the Cubs clinch tomorrow, because I have free tickets for Sunday.

Carolina Kenny
09-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Gang:

Just a warning so that you don't lose it. Be prepared to have the Sox game on WGN-TV Saturday interrupted by Cubs post game celebration / activities if they clinch by beating the Cardinals.

WGN has never failed to break into programming since 1983 when either the Sox or Cubs have clinched.

It's just bad timing that it might happen when the Sox are on and in a dogfight.

Lip

The media is self-important. Free your mind. Go White Sox

Dub25
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Gang:

Lip

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the Royals coverage will be on the baseball package mix channel. For those of you that have this, you know what I'm talking about.

However Lip, if WGN does this and I'm not doubting you, does Jerry have a beef over this?

Noneck
09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Since the cubs-cards is a Fox game, does Fox have exclusive rights to post game celebration?

Dub25
09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Since the cubs-cards is a Fox game, does Fox have exclusive rights to post game celebration?

Up until 6PM they do... I think. Then after that all bets are off.

Brian26
09-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Based on the quality and craftsmanship of that hat, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's not an officially licensed mlb product.

FedEx227
09-19-2008, 11:51 PM
If the Cubs don't win it all, it's going to be an awful hard fall for Cubs fans.

Yeah I really can't wait. It will hurt to see them win a World Series definitely, not too much anymore after 2005. But if they lose...wow... I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces.

oeo
09-19-2008, 11:58 PM

This is the best opportunity they've had in a LOOOOOOOOONG time. If they don't do it this year, I don't think they ever will.

FedEx227
09-20-2008, 12:01 AM
This is the best opportunity they've had in a LOOOOOOOOONG time. If they don't do it this year, I don't think they ever will.

Yeah, everything has fallen in complete place for them all year. They've escape a prolonged struggle, escaped major injuries, stayed hot... like oeo said it's this or it for awhile.

TDog
09-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I haven't seen WGN in years. It would seem odd that coverage of one local team vying for a division title would be interrupted to cover celebrations for another team winning the division title. Is there any doubt the Cubs will win their division? Clinching Saturday would be an anticlimax. It isn't even a matter of the Cubs not having won the division in decades. They won their division last year, and they won their division five years ago. The White Sox winning their division in a dogfight would be a much bigger news story, twists and turns in the race and the injuries that seemed to doom the season. Why would coverage of the White Sox quest for its division be interrupted?

But as I said, I haven't seen WGN in years. I wouldn't care one way or another if the station has no respect for news judgment.

soxpride724
09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Thats awesome that you stopped to photograph that.

UofCSoxFan
09-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Seriously. I grew up on Pearl Jam, have seen them live twice and own every CD. This is about 1,000,000 times worse than Jimmy Page selling out to Cadillac. This is selling out to a team with a bunch of sellout fans. Nothing like a noncomformist rocker jumping on the Cubbie Blue bandwagon :puking:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/68151

UofCSoxFan
09-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Ugh.

Sox fans already get screwed out of watching the Twins Rays, which is also on Fox. Now this. I don't really blame WGN but this is just really unfortunate. I hope if nothing else they give us a picture in picture. I mean these are huge games for the Sox. If only this were on CSN...at least they could switch the Sox over to CSN plus.

MisterB
09-20-2008, 12:42 AM
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/website/wikijam/images/thumb/7/77/Eddie_Vedder_2006_concert.jpg/250px-Eddie_Vedder_2006_concert.jpg
"I'll lie and say that I root for them...Can't find a better team..."

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 12:51 AM
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/website/wikijam/images/thumb/7/77/Eddie_Vedder_2006_concert.jpg/250px-Eddie_Vedder_2006_concert.jpg
"I'll lie and say that I root for them...Can't find a better team..."

They showed in the news that Eddie Vedder payed a touching tribute to Dewey Cox before his final life-summarizing performance at the Grammys. So the two wrongs cancel each other. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

oeo
09-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Gang:

Lip

They wouldn't, they couldn't...they probably will. What a douchebag move if it happens.

LoveYourSuit
09-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Gang:

Lip

I 100% disagree with you on this one Lip.

First of all, the Cubs have not won many divisions to begin with and none have ever taken place during an actual White Sox telecast on WGN. Their is no such past history to indicate that this will all of sudden happen now.

Second, it is the "Sox telecast" and any "interuption" of such programming will have come with consent of the White Sox. This is not ESPN, where MLB gives them the right to interupt a game for something historic like Zambrano's No hitter or Bonds hitting his "historic" record breaking HR. The local team telecast never breaks away for such historic events.

Put it this way, the Chicago Bears are the story in Chicago Sports every year. If CSN is airing a Hawks or Bulls Game during a Bear game and even a playoff game, CSN will NOT interrupt programming to go to the Bear Post Game Show. If I'm not mistaken, it happened either on the last Bear Super Bowl or one of the play-off game wins. The Hawks were on and we got no post game show.

What you might see, and this being a HUGE MAYBE, will be a ticker on the bottom of the screen re-directing viewers to CLTV to catch the locker room coverage at Wrigley. Besides, fans will have CSN as another outlet to go to, they cover the Cubs also (not just WGN).

CubKilla
09-20-2008, 01:32 AM
God..... that song sucks

Nice attempt though

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 01:44 AM
The BEST scenario here, since we know the Cubs will win their division, would be for the Cardinals to win tomorrow, and the Brewers/Reds game to go long into extras, with the Reds winning it in like the 12th inning or so. If that happens, Cub fans won't get to celebrate in Wrigley Field. :D:

cnw8052
09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Did you notice both Wal Mart stores in Sterling and Rock Falls have TONS of Cardinals and Cubs items, but not much in the way of White Sox???

UGH!!!!:angry::angry:

Saw this hat @ Walmart in Sterling, IL (area where I live). It made me laugh out loud! Bet they will be discounted in a few more weeks!

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2008, 05:13 AM
I never understood why Kurt Cobain hated Eddie Vedder so much...until now.

harwar
09-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the Royals coverage will be on the baseball package mix channel.

the royals are not broadcasting saturday or sunday ..

Jaffar
09-20-2008, 06:29 AM
I think he's been tied to the Cubs for awhile but this song isn't new, he performed it live, last August at the Vic when the Cubs were going all the way THAT year.

cws05champ
09-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I would buy one just to have it next year at the Cubs/ Sox series after the Cubs blow it this year.

I'm sure the true die hard fans are not happy about all this destiny talk....they truely won't beleive until it happens.

white sox bill
09-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Didn't Veeder rip on the Sox in one of his concerts a long time ago?

white sox bill
09-20-2008, 08:31 AM
The question begs: If roles were reversed, would the media interupt cub game for Sox clincher?

oeo
09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
The question begs: If roles were reversed, would the media interupt cub game for Sox clincher?

Not likley, unless the Cubs were already eliminated. If the Sox were eliminated, I wouldn't really care, either.

Too bad for WGN that they can't get their own coverage in.

white sox bill
09-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I was at HS Football game last PM, and yep, you guessed it, over intercom they gave score that Reds were beating up on Brew Crew and the crowd went wild. Did they update the Sox/Royals game? Keep in mind this is in Illinois. Now I realize that the spotlight is on the cubs who are clinching, but bet if I go to the same game this coming Friday, when the Sox could possibly be clinching, there won't be a peep about it over the loudspeaker.

Risk
09-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Not sure about that. However, I know that "Uncle Fester" himself, Billy Corgan did though.

Risk

guillensdisciple
09-20-2008, 09:32 AM
If it annoys you that much why not turn it off for a few minutes and listen to the radio? If that is inconvenient, just change channels. That is what I will be doing.

PatK
09-20-2008, 09:34 AM
I saw a guy wearing a Cubs shirt that had a Cubs logo on the front, and on the back "8" and above it "It Happened".

Medford Bobby
09-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Gang:

Lip

I'll be curious if the local stations will break into live shots of Cub fans celebrating in the streets around Wrigley. Last year all the 10 oclock news had lots of overkill coverage. And of course Cub fans "overkill" the celebration winning the division. Save some for game 7 of the NLCS....:o:

Max Power
09-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Vedder is from Evanston and has always been a Cubs fan. I was at one of his solo shows at the Auditorium Theatre where he recorded a version of this song. I daydreamed through it. I'm capable of liking a musician- and even non-musician- even if we cheer for rival baseball teams.

Vestigio
09-20-2008, 10:30 AM

From what I've heard, he said **** the Sox at some concert.

I read the lyrics yesterday, and they were god awful. What the hell Vedder?:upsidehead:He will always be second fiddle to Chris Cornell (eventhough I'm not crazy about some of his new leaked music)

TheMilkman
09-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I may be imagining it...but didn't Jack McDowell used to hang out with Vedder in the early 90s?

rocky biddle
09-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I may be imagining it...but didn't Jack McDowell used to hang out with Vedder in the early 90s?

Didn't Vedder used to wear a Sox hat that Blackjack supposedly gave him? That's the story I heard a while back.

I've always irrationally hated Pearl Jam. In my mind, this is just another in a long line of ****ty songs he's put out.

PaleHoser
09-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Does it come in pink? :D:

Soxman219
09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I'll be curious if the local stations will break into live shots of Cub fans celebrating in the streets around Wrigley. Last year all the 10 oclock news had lots of overkill coverage. And of course Cub fans "overkill" the celebration winning the division. Save some for game 7 of the NLCS....:o:

I remember that, I was watching a Family Guy I have never seen and then it cut to the Cubs celebration. I was pissed! That would be a kick to the nuts if WGN pulls that crap off.

Dibbs
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
When is the last time a Chicago baseball team has gone to the playoffs two years in a row?

...and I don' tthink they would take the game off. That would be crazy.

PatK
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Does it come in pink? :D:

To be honest, it was a strange shade of red.

mccoydp
09-20-2008, 11:38 AM
LOLZ.

Keep chasing that dream, sheep. :redneck

grv1974
09-20-2008, 11:40 AM

Well, these will be on clearance soon, after the Cubs choke again. :D:

Lip Man 1
09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Love:

You may be right, we'll see later in the day I guess.

But again I stand by the statement that WGN since 1983 has never failed to break into programming with celebration / locker room stuff since the Sox clinched in 1983.

I don't know if a Sox game happened to be broadcast in 98, 03 or 07 when the Cubs got in. (Since WGN wasn't doing the Sox in 1984 or 1989.)

Lip

Medford Bobby
09-20-2008, 12:15 PM
If it annoys you that much why not turn it off for a few minutes and listen to the radio? If that is inconvenient, just change channels. That is what I will be doing.
Yea but I might actually be watching the Ronco infomercial quick rice cooker special...:D:

Lukin13
09-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll be watching.... hoping for a champagne slip, and acl tear!

aryzner
09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't mind Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder but I can honestly say I'm getting sick of the sudden obsession (I've heard it on the radio multiple times now) with this song he did over a year ago.

Soxfanspcu11
09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I haven't seen WGN in years.Why would coverage of the White Sox quest for its division be interrupted?

I think that you pretty much answered your question right there.

I think that a lot of people will tell you that in the past, as in 20+ years ago, that wgn used to be a lot more Sox friendly. Meaning, that they really treated both teams a little more equally.

It has really only been that in the past few years that wgn has really become pro-scrub, anti-Sox. (Let's not forget their little news story from 2005 where they sent a crew to U.S. Cellular to ask fans why the stadium was not full, 2 HOURS BEFORE 1ST PITCH!!!!!! The ****ing game was SOLD OUT!!!) So it really should not be a surprise at all. Infact, I would not be surprised at all if they just completely took the Sox game off and showed scrubs celebrations, fans celebrations, an interview w sum bum on the street, could be Ronnie, could not be. And on and on like that.

Hopefully, the scrubs clinch via the Brewers being absolutely terrible and do not clinch on the actual field. That way, all the scrubs players will be at home or at the bar or whatever and they will not actually take the Sox off the air.

We shall see I guess. I have My radio ready though just in case.

getonbckthr
09-20-2008, 12:50 PM
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/dc/11/ddbb_1.JPG

anewman35
09-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Hopefully, the scrubs clinch via the Brewers being absolutely terrible and do not clinch on the actual field. That way, all the scrubs players will be at home or at the bar or whatever and they will not actually take the Sox off the air.

I don't think that would stop them. They'd just show drunk idiots running in the streets in Wrigleyville.

areilly
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM

Vedder and Pearl Jam bass player Jeff Ament were along for McDowell's New Orleans barfight, yes.

Soxfanspcu11
09-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again. The National League BLOOOOWS!!!

I realize that anything can happen in the Playoffs, but there is one thing that can not happen. And that is a National League Team beating an American League team. Sorry scrubbie fans, but it is just not going to happen.

The disperities between the 2 leagues right now is not even close. Case in point, last year. Colorado was ON ABSOLUTE FIRE!!! Hottest team EVER!! What happened to them once they had to face the AL? Umm, well, I think We all know what happened. :D:

Chez
09-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Well count Eddie among the throng of soon to be disappointed/heartbroken/shattered/cursed/long-suffering/etc.

I still like Pearl Jam.

WHILEPITCH
09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll respect this more than Cusack, who comes around wearing his Sox hat in 05 after declaring he was anti long before.

After your youth is over you get one and stick by it.

Jpgr91
09-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Do you remember the last good thing Eddie or PJ did since 1991?

Yeah, neither do I.

FoulTerritory
09-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Do you remember the last good thing Eddie or PJ did since 1991?

Yeah, neither do I.

Ah, perhaps you never listened to Vs., or Yield, or Binaural, or even the new Avocado for that matter.

I like PJ, and don't mind that Eddie likes the Cubs, but he DID wear a Sox hat on MTV unplugged in I think it was 93. So, there is a little weirdness about this.

And btw, he did say "**** the White Sox" at his solo show at the Auditorium Theater last month after he played that cubs song.

skobabe8
09-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I think that you pretty much answered your question right there.

I think that a lot of people will tell you that in the past, as in 20+ years ago, that wgn used to be a lot more Sox friendly. Meaning, that they really treated both teams a little more equally.

It has really only been that in the past few years that wgn has really become pro-scrub, anti-Sox. (Let's not forget their little news story from 2005 where they sent a crew to U.S. Cellular to ask fans why the stadium was not full, 2 HOURS BEFORE 1ST PITCH!!!!!! The ****ing game was SOLD OUT!!!) So it really should not be a surprise at all. Infact, I would not be surprised at all if they just completely took the Sox game off and showed scrubs celebrations, fans celebrations, an interview w sum bum on the street, could be Ronnie, could not be. And on and on like that.

We shall see I guess. I have My radio ready though just in case.

Sorry to thread hijack, but I dont remember this at all. Can you elaborate?

Woofer
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM
As a long time Vedder/Pearl Jam fan, I've thought that Eddie stood as the anti-establishment, anti-corporate, deep thinking type of person. The whole Cubs loving thing must come from some deep memory of his childhood, because the Cubs seem to me to be every thing that he stands against.
This song has been an ongoing project since last summer, I actually think it is much better than any other Cubs song that I've heard. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that we will be hearing alot of this song the next month or so. It will probably be everywhere, lets just hope the Cubs die a quick death in the playoffs and the song fades away.

doublem23
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
When is the last time a Chicago baseball team has gone to the playoffs two years in a row?

The Cubs went to the World Series three straight years from 1906-1908.

whitesox901
09-20-2008, 03:31 PM

thats a pretty good point

thomas35forever
09-20-2008, 03:44 PM
The Cubs went to the World Series three straight years from 1906-1908.
And that's the reasoning of someone I know as to why the Cubs are better than the Sox seeing as we have never won two World Series in a row.

white sox bill
09-20-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm temped to say that the wrong one is alive and the wrong one is dead....but I won't:smile:

TheOldRoman
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Didn't Vedder used to wear a Sox hat that Blackjack supposedly gave him? That's the story I heard a while back.

I've always irrationally hated Pearl Jam. In my mind, this is just another in a long line of ****ty songs he's put out.Hating Pearl Jam is not irrational. Eddie Veddy piece a flaming pile of ****. Him putting out this song doesn't change that in either direction. By the way, I heard the song, and it is absolutely terrible. There is one line like "our heroes in pinstripes of blue, we can pretend we are heroes, too.":lol:

CantuSox
09-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Did you notice both Wal Mart stores in Sterling and Rock Falls have TONS of Cardinals and Cubs items, but not much in the way of White Sox???

Yeah:mad:. I understand the Cubs stuff because you got alot of people drinkin the Cubbie Kool Aid around here, but Cardinals stuff!:angry:

Soxfanspcu11
09-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry to thread hijack, but I dont remember this at all. Can you elaborate?

There is a thread about it on here somewhere.

But basically hat happened was that the Sox were doing really well, in first place and all that and wgn sent out a crew to cover the game and the fans.

Well, it was a Saturday night game IIRC and the place was Sold Out. wgn sent in their crew to interview fans 2 hours before first pitch. I guess pretty much when the gates first opened. And then they went around interviewing people, asking them that "Don't you think it's strange that this team is in 1st place and yet nobody is here?" And of course they showed the fans saying stuff like, "Yeah it is weird. I don't get it?" and "We drove here from Iowa to check this place out and I am shocked!".

That was then followed by a camera panning around the park to show like 10 people in the stands.

And that was pretty much it. Infact, thinking about it now makes Me want to choke someone. :angry:

Lukin13
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Who needs EV when we have: 5921 ????

I actually sat right in front of Kerry Wood at a PJ show in '03.

Ed has always been a big Cubs fan, although he did sport a Sox hat in the early 90s because he was close pals (and even arrested once with) BlackJack.

Ed is also very close to Theo Epstein whom I have seen sidestage twice.

Yes, I have been to numerous (like 50) PJ shows; and YES, they are the best live arena rock band in the world.

If you listen to the bootleg from the Auditorium shows (where this song was recorded) you can hear me and others booing loudly after the performance.

TheOldRoman
09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Whatever happens, we will see just how biased the media is next week, should the Sox clinch. We know the level of hysteria in the media when the Cubs won the division last year. The Sox didn't get that level of coverage until they won the pennant in 05. They had ****ing helicopters out showing morons in the streets, "commentators" talking about how it was so great for the city, etc. I remember all the hub bub over the Cubs making the playoffs in 1998 and 2003, but I was working the night the Sox won in 2000, so I didn't get to see it. I was excited for 2005, because I wanted to see all the news coverage when the Sox won the division. Well, the Sox weren't even the lead story on several of the Chicago broadcasts.

We know the media will blow its collective load and be in ecstasy when the Cubs clinch tonight or tomorrow. But when the Sox clinch a week later, it will be almost non-existent. And when the DO discuss the Sox making the playoffs, it wont be without prefacing it with the Cubs making it, and how it is great for Chicago.

SoxSpeed22
09-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I suppose we'll find out in 3 more innings. The Cardinals are making it interesting with a 4 run 6th.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't think that would stop them. They'd just show drunk idiots running in the streets in Wrigleyville.

Don't you mean urinating in the streets in Wrigleyville? :cool:

alohafri
09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
At the very least, the game should be over before OUR game starts.

And Dave Wills' boys are helping us again!:D:

manders_01
09-20-2008, 05:14 PM
OMG - they're already showing close ups of the trixies with tears in their eyes. :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 05:17 PM
OMG - they're already showing close ups of the trixies with tears in their eyes. :rolleyes:

Awwwww!

But don't sweat it, Amanda. They'll be crying real tears soon enough!

manders_01
09-20-2008, 05:21 PM
And so it really begins. For those of you entrenched in Chicagoland, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :praying: Now matter how provoked, let's prove once again that we are the more respectable fans. :thumbsup:

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:22 PM
And that's the reasoning of someone I know as to why the Cubs are better than the Sox seeing as we have never won two World Series in a row.

I'm glad they're not living in the past.

turners56
09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Please, get that "Go Cubs Go" song out of my head. PLEASE!

This just makes me want the Sox to clinch at home even more.

Sockinchisox
09-20-2008, 05:25 PM
They're shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood for a division championship. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
09-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, the loveable losers have won the division. WGN interrupted their programing for it. If I was watching "My Wife and Kids" I would be pissed. I am not watching the coverage on WGN, so I don't know if they have addressed the Sox game or if they will show it at 6.

Watching ABC, they decided it was necessary to put a scroll across the top of the screen saying they would have coverage as soon as the game ended. If it wasn't Notre Dame playing, they probably would have cut in. But they will probably give us the same treatment.

turners56
09-20-2008, 05:27 PM
They're shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood for a division championship. :rolleyes:

And I heard one firework fired off when the Sox won the series. :rolleyes:

SoxGirl4Life

That's ok.

Last year, in my neighborhood, they shot off fireworks when the Diamondbacks swept. We have bigger things to grab our attention tonight and for the next week.

Viva Medias B's

Isn't that illegal?

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Unlike us, they don't know what it's like to win the whole thing, so this is basically the best thing they have. :wink:
And so it really begins. For those of you entrenched in Chicagoland, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :praying: Now matter how provoked, let's prove once again that we are the more respectable fans. :thumbsup:
No worries, Amanda. Our Sox are going to the playoffs too! That has to tick Cub fans off just a little. They finally have a great season; but, so have our Sox. When we won the whole thing, having that super 99-win season, their team was like 30 games worse.
Please, get that "Go Cubs Go" song out of my head. PLEASE!

This just makes me want the Sox to clinch at home even more.
Nahhhh! No matter what, I wanna clinch IN the Baggie Dome.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I heard fireworks being shot off about 2 1/2 hours ago. I thought it was odd, considering that the Sox aren't even home right now, so they wouldn't be shooting off the fireworks for the start of the game. Then I remembered, it's probably just some dumb Cub fan getting all excited over just clinching a division. We Sox fans know what the REAL prize feels like.

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought for sure they'd have commemorative 1908 hats.

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Don't pay attention to any of this crap, Cubs will go 3 and out in the 1st round.

Frontman
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
My hats off to them, as they won back to back divisions. The Sox haven't done that in my lifetime; so congrats and all that.

Hopefully, we'll see them against the White Sox in the third week of October.

Otherwise, meh. I'm not sweating the coverage.

Rockabilly
09-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Congrats to the Cubs...

Cuck the Fubs
09-20-2008, 05:39 PM
They'll breeze through the sorry ass NL which is actually fine by me.

By that time the media hype and fans will have reached " THIS IS THE YEAR" critical mass.

Then they will lose in the World Series to a superior AL team ( which hopefully ends up being our Sox ) and then the Chicago area will need to be on a flood watch for all the tears that flow from the broken hearted flubbie lovers.

Back to back division titles....yipee!

Win the whole damn thing, then talk ****.

alohafri
09-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Since when is Hinsdale cubbieland?

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2008, 05:41 PM
My hats off to them, as they won back to back divisions. The Sox haven't done that in my lifetime; so congrats and all that.

Otherwise, meh. I'm not sweating the coverage.
In my lifetime I've seen the Sox in 2 WS with a World Championship, Cubs have'nt won a thing.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 05:41 PM
This has to suck if you're Rich King. He's doing his best to be objective like the good little soldier that he is, but the subtle Sox bias creeps out now and then.

Good for you, Rich!

Edit: And look at the bright side; at least we'll be able to enjoy our game.

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Sign in the outfield already proclaiming them the NL champs.

Don't even know what they've won...

eriqjaffe
09-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Ed has always been a big Cubs fanYeah, a guy I work with (who's a huge Cubs fan) went to a Cubs fantasy camp a few years ago, and Eddie Vedder was one of the other...uh...campers.

Sockinchisox
09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Since when is Hinsdale cubbieland?

No idea, I'd like to know that to.

alohafri
09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
All I can say is if the Sox are not on at 6:00 like they are supposed to be, my ass is calling Channel 9.

Noneck
09-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I just hope when the Sox clinch the Div. it will not be such an extravaganza. The type of celebration going on now is embarrassing for only a Div. Championship.

alohafri
09-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Sign in the outfield already proclaiming them the NL champs.

Don't even know what they've won...

They just focused on the stereotypical cub fan...a guy wearing a "shut up and drink your beer" shirt.

turners56
09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Nahhhh! No matter what, I wanna clinch IN the Baggie Dome.

I've said this before. The last time we clinched in that dump, we got swept in the playoffs.

Rockabilly
09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
When we win the division in the next few days.. Sox fans will show a lot more class than these losers..

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I just hope when the Sox clinch the Div. it will not be such an extravaganza. The type of celebration going on now is embarrassing for only a Div. Championship.

Don't worry. I'm fairly certain there will be WAY less coverage

Rockabilly
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
All I can say is if the Sox are not on at 6:00 like they are supposed to be, my ass is calling Channel 9.

I totally agree with you.. The Sox better be on at 6pm

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Oh, I think you can count on that. :smile:

Edit: SoxGirl4Life, Jinx, you owe me a Coke!

Noneck
09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Don't worry. I'm fairly certain there will be WAY less coverage
I am not talking about the coverage as much as the fans and players type of celebration.

Whitesoxfan23
09-20-2008, 05:51 PM
LOL. These Cub fans that they are interviewing on WGN, really showcase how ignorant Cub fans are.

alohafri
Oh, I think you can count on that. :smile:

The motto of the Chicago sports media..."if we don't cover it, did it really happen?"

TheOldRoman
All I can say is if the Sox are not on at 6:00 like they are supposed to be, my ass is calling Channel 9.If you have a number to call, please post it. I am turning on WGN in exactly 14 minutes, and if the Sox aren't on, I will be pissed.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
If you have a number to call, please post it. I am turning on WGN in exactly 14 minutes, and if the Sox aren't on, I will be pissed.

Second that!

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Why are their shirts brown? or black? Or is my eyesight going?

alohafri
09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
If you have a number to call, please post it. I am turning on WGN in exactly 14 minutes, and if the Sox aren't on, I will be pissed.

From the WGN website: 773-528-2311

chisoxfanatic
If that happens, may it be known that you're covering all of my game reports here at WSI next year, because I would die of cardiac arrest.

eastchicagosoxfan
The Cubs are the first Chicago baseball team to make the playoffs two years in row since the 1907-08 Cubs. Now I hope the Sox make them realize that "it don't mean a thing without that ring".

SoxGirl4Life
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
The Cubs are the first Chicago baseball team to make the playoffs two years in row since the 1907-08 Cubs. Now I hope the Sox make them realize that "it don't mean a thing without that ring".

Oh God. Please tell me we're not gonna hear that all week.

Rockabilly
09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
it better not be a split screen either..

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Be prepared to see all of the buildings here lit up in Cubbie Blue next Monday.

illini81887
09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Yay we get the game

alohafri
09-20-2008, 06:01 PM

No, we'll be hearing that goddamn Steve Goodman song.

alohafri
09-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Now for some real baseball!

TheOldRoman
09-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Call off the dogs, the Sox are on.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Give credit where credit is due. Reserve the greatest accolades for the greatest achievements.

skobabe8
09-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Call off the dogs, the Sox are on.

:D:

I love how we get all amped up at a chance to to jump all over WGN.

Quentin08
09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm fairly certain the local media (CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, Fox, CLTV etc.) will cover the 2 teams equally during the playoffs. I'm not worried at all that it won't be fair coverage. From the moment the Sox clinch, 'Sox and Cubs in the Playoffs' will be the top story on every broadcast. I think whoever is playing at home at the time will be the lead story.. it should be interesting to see who they start off when they're both at home.

The national media is a different story. They've always ignored the Sox and given the Cubs all the attention. But here in Chicago, I expect massive Sox coverage, esp since this will be the first year since 1906 that both team are in the playoffs.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm fairly certain the local media (CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, Fox, CLTV etc.) will cover the 2 teams equally during the playoffs. I'm not worried at all that it won't be fair coverage. From the moment the Sox clinch, 'Sox and Cubs in the Playoffs' will be the top story on every broadcast. I think whoever is playing at home at the time will be the lead story.. it should be interesting to see who they start off when they're both at home.

The national media is a different story. They've always ignored the Sox and given the Cubs all the attention. But here in Chicago, I expect massive Sox coverage, esp since this will be the first year since 1906 that both team are in the playoffs.
Wanna bet?

Dan Mega
09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Who cares?

Congrats Cubs. Now go Sox.

Brian26
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Wanna bet?

Do you get the local Chicago television feeds in Chandler, Az? If not, how would you know?

Brian26
09-20-2008, 06:32 PM
No, we'll be hearing that goddamn Steve Goodman song.

Have already heard it twice on XRT today.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Do you get the local Chicago television feeds in Chandler, Az? If not, how would you know?

Well, I sure as hell got it via WGN today. But thanks for checking in with your opinion. Which means as much to me as it usually does.

Brian26
09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Well, I sure as hell got it today.

You got what? Cubs postgame celebration on WGN superstation? You're basing your opinion of local television media coverage on that? A.) that's not really a local channel, and B.) that's not supposed to be unbiased.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 06:43 PM
You got what? Cubs postgame celebration on WGN superstation? You're basing your opinion of local television media coverage on that? A.) that's not really a local channel, and B.) that's not supposed to be unbiased.

Shut up. For once.

Brian26
09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Shut up.

I'm seriously just curious how you can make a judgement about the local Chicago television media when you live in Arizona. It doesn't seem logical. I could understand a comment on radio coverage because it is possible you could listen to certain streams over the internet occasionally, but how would you have firsthand knowledge of how fairly Paula Ferris or Mark Giangreco treat the Sox?

Bill Naharodny
09-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Have already heard it twice on XRT today.

You mean, WCUB?

It begins with the ever-arrogant big-timer, Lin Brehmer. Hey, Lin, I used to enjoy your station because it played good music. Now, between the commercials and your incessant Cub blather, for chrissakes, 93.1 might as well be removed from my radio.

TommyJohn
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM

I don't think so. What we will hear is "the Cubs made the postseason in back-to-back years! The 2005 White Sox didn't do that!" In fact, I'll wager that Giddy Greg will say that very thing in his next giddy column.

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm seriously just curious how you can make a judgement about the local Chicago television media when you live in Arizona. It doesn't seem logical. I could understand a comment on radio coverage because it is possible you could listen to certain streams over the internet occasionally, but how would you have firsthand knowledge of how fairly Paula Ferris or Mark Giangreco treat the Sox?

Well, since you seem to be serious, I'll answer this. I have family and --yes, believe it or not!--friends in Chicago who keep me up-to-date on what's going on. I also monitor the Sun-Times and Trib Web sites on a daily basis.

Here's a thought. I've tried to avoid confrontations with you. Why don't you do the same? Or is that not possible for you? If not, what's your problem?

Brian26
09-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I also monitor the Sun-Times and Trib Web sites on a daily basis.

Really has nothing to do with local television media coverage. That's like me commenting on restaurant quality in Arizona because I have friends there and read the Phoenix paper online. :scratch:

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Really has nothing to do with local television media coverage. That's like me commenting on restaurant quality in Arizona because I have friends there and read the Phoenix paper online. :scratch:

Okay, you win! :rolleyes:

1908<2005
09-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Who gives a s***

MarySwiss
09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Who gives a s***

Apparently, he does.

Quentin08
09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
All I really care to watch is the local television media coverage. I don't pick up the papers; those are always yesterday's news anyway. When I check online, I either come here or whitesox.com. And when I'm in the car, I keep it on the Score. So I really won't be subjected to unbiased coverage in the upcoming weeks.

It's gonna be a blast watching the local coverage. It's going to be huge. Nothing else will matter in Chicago if both teams are in the playoffs.
.. this offense needs to wake up though.. and stay awake. :(:

turners56
09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
BTW guys. The media might say that the Cubs are the first team to reach the playoffs in two consecutive years. Well, the Sox also won two divisional championships in a row in 1993 and 1994. Unfortunately, the strike screwed us over.

kittle42
09-20-2008, 07:53 PM
BTW guys. The media might say that the Cubs are the first team to reach the playoffs in two consecutive years.

Half the people at Wrigley today likely thought this. The other half thought they won the World Series.

anewman35
09-20-2008, 08:10 PM
BTW guys. The media might say that the Cubs are the first team to reach the playoffs in two consecutive years. Well, the Sox also won two divisional championships in a row in 1993 and 1994. Unfortunately, the strike screwed us over.

Come on, you're really reaching. The White Sox themselves don't claim they won anything in 1994. Yes, we were good in 1994, but the season was far from over, and you'll just look petty and silly if you try to claim this. They did something we didn't, it sucks, but deal with it.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 08:18 PM
They did something we didn't, it sucks, but deal with it.
It's easy for me to deal with it knowing we've seen something they still haven't. Just remind them about rings, guys...It's seriously that easy.

EndemicSox
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Color me happy to see winning a division is still pretty special in a 162 game season. Congrats to the Cubs players...let them celebrate...they deserve it...

anewman35
09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Color me happy to see winning a division is still pretty special in a 162 game season. Congrats to the Cubs players...let them celebrate...they deserve it...

Yep. I hate the Cubs, and, sure, some of their fans are a little too excited about it, but we'll (hopefully) be excited in a few days, too. Some of you are SO anti-Cub that you blow perfectly normal things totally out of proportion and it makes you look silly.

34rancher
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Come on, you're really reaching. The White Sox themselves don't claim they won anything in 1994. Yes, we were good in 1994, but the season was far from over, and you'll just look petty and silly if you try to claim this. They did something we didn't, it sucks, but deal with it.

Actually, I believe we fly a banner that says AL Central champs 94.

soxpride724
09-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Winning your division two years in a row is pretty impressive. But it's not a Championship, who cares,really?:scratch:

anewman35
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Actually, I believe we fly a banner that says AL Central champs 94.

Nope. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjparnell/173052849/

34rancher
09-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Nope. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjparnell/173052849/

Did we used to? I swear I didn't even think we won until once when Isaw it at the park in some fashion.

Medford Bobby
09-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Isn't that illegal?
I threw firecrackers off my deck in Mount Vernon, WA when the Sox won the A.L. Championship.....
http://tbn7-beta.google.com/images?q=tbn:sU3uj4Vt6Hsz1M:http://www.digital-images.net/Images/2002/Potpourri2/ChineseFirecrackers_0598.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.digital-images.net/Images/2002/Potpourri2/ChineseFirecrackers_0598.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bikoyski.multiply.com/journal/item/188/Stupid_Firecracker_Stories&h=508&w=762&sz=132&hl=en&start=2&um=1&usg=__qKIulcTLiJ7i8gGcmRDSywDd9uQ=&tbnid=sU3uj4Vt6Hsz1M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfirecrackers%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa% 3DN):cool:

Medford Bobby
09-20-2008, 10:52 PM

All I know is Jill Carlson was the only reason I peaked at the post game coverage....:bandance:

Frankfan4life
09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
If the Sox also win their division, the media will have a stroke trying to "balance" the coverage. The good news is that signs all around the city will have to include both teams. It's a good thing that both teams have names consisting of no more than four letters.

DumpJerry
09-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Vedder and Black Jack are good friends. That does not mean he can't be a Cub fan.

This ranks as a big "so what?"

I want Mags back
09-21-2008, 02:33 AM
I've said this before. The last time we clinched in that dump, we got swept in the playoffs.

you know that we actually didnt "clinch" in the dome in '00, right?

doublem23
09-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Vedder has always been a Cub fan, he's not a bandwagoning carpet-bagger like John Cusack, who fawns all over the Cubs whenever he can until the Sox make it to the World Series.

viagracat
09-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah:mad:. I understand the Cubs stuff because you got alot of people drinkin the Cubbie Kool Aid around here, but Cardinals stuff!:angry:

The whole state outside the Chicago area is pretty much Cubs or Cardinals. So what?

I don't need a "White Sox Nation" kind of fanbase. Pulling for a "popular" team doesn't make you a better person. I'm very comfortable being a die-hard Sox fan. Anyone who doesn't understand that, the hell with 'em.

alohafri
09-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I just checked my cubune sports section. It has a foldover ad for a book entitled This is the Year. You would think they learned something from Bartman, the Mets, the Diamondbacks, etc. to tempt the baseball gods like that.

ChiSoxGirl
09-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I just checked my cubune sports section. It has a foldover ad for a book entitled This is the Year. You would think they learned something from Bartman, the Mets, the Diamondbacks, etc. to tempt the baseball gods like that.

I was hoping someone would post/start a thread about this! Are they serious with This Is the Year?! Talk about putting the cart before the horse... damn! In my opinion, The Cubune's sports section is more of a rag today than it ever has been. I feel like keeping it just so I can compare it to the Cubune's sports section the day the Sox win the Central.

And did you see where any news about the Sox was? Way in the bottom, left hand corner in tiny font, there's a picture of home plate with the number "six" on it. And you have to flip all the way to page six to find any stories about the White Sox. But, you know, there's no bias. :rolleyes:

slavko
09-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Neither have the Cubbies.

This has to suck if you're Rich King. He's doing his best to be objective like the good little soldier that he is, but the subtle Sox bias creeps out now and then.

Good for you, Rich!

Or, Rich (sweet guy) acts objective and we see it as Sox bias because we're used to the other alternative.

anewman35
09-21-2008, 11:10 AM
And did you see where any news about the Sox was? Way in the bottom, left hand corner in tiny font, there's a picture of home plate with the number "six" on it. And you have to flip all the way to page six to find any stories about the White Sox. But, you know, there's no bias. :rolleyes:

They just clinched yesterday. We played a forgettable game that didn't change the standings and isn't really news at all. Today's sports section SHOULD be about the Cubs. I can't imagine how you'll react if we clinched and they happen to mention the Cubs on the front page, too.

MarySwiss
09-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Neither have the Cubbies.

Or, Rich (sweet guy) acts objective and we see it as Sox bias because we're used to the other alternative.

I believe Rich is on record as being a Sox fan. In which case, although he was doing his job as well as he always does, it couldn't have been much fun for him.

roylestillman
09-21-2008, 11:30 AM

Will be as collectable as that other Tribune publication "DEWEY BEATS TRUMAN!"

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 11:30 AM
They just clinched yesterday. We played a forgettable game that didn't change the standings and isn't really news at all. Today's sports section SHOULD be about the Cubs. I can't imagine how you'll react if we clinched and they happen to mention the Cubs on the front page, too.

Not only that, but the back page is considered prime real estate in any section of the newspaper because it's easy to get to.

Brian26
09-21-2008, 11:40 AM

I believe Rich is on record as being a Sox fan. In which case, although he was doing his job as well as he always does, it couldn't have been much fun for him.

If you knew anything about Rich King's life, you'd know that worrying about covering a Cubs clincher is probably the last thing on his mind.

Juice16
09-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Not sure about that. However, I know that "Uncle Fester" himself, Billy Corgan did though.

Risk

To Billy's credit, he did say was rooting for the Sox in 2005 and Cubs fans that weren't were lame.

dwalteroo
09-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Reportedly you could text something into THE MIX (101.9, a la the Eric and Cathy station) and they would send you a text with every time the Vedder Cubs song was scheduled to be on this weekend.

Enough said.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
To Billy's credit, he did say was rooting for the Sox in 2005 and Cubs fans that weren't were lame.

Cub fans who were rooting for the Sox in '05 were lame.

gregoriop
09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
From what I've heard, he said **** the Sox at some concert.

I've never heard of this and I follow every show. He good-heartedly called them a minor league team 20001129, but Sox fans hate him anyway and just throw in he's likes the Cubs more than the Sox (he does still like them), and that makes it worse.

Besides, who cares what musicians think about baseball? They aren't any better or worse than other fools that blindly follow the Cubs.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Here you go:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2435

Lip

cub killer
09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I can't believe this ****. Are you ****ing kidding me? The scrubs get a wrap-around, covering the ENTIRE front and back pages. The White Sox DID NOT get that much coverage when they won the WORLD SERIES. You have got to be kidding me, I can't believe they gave the 100 year losers that much coverage for a flimsy little division title. 8 teams go to the playoffs nowadays, a division title is NOT that big of a deal!

There's already a Cubune, why does the Sun-Times have to raise the north siders on a pedestal? I still cannot believe the big deal they made over a 1 in 8 playoff berth.

When the Sox won the division, wire to wire, in 2005, they did not cover up the ENTIRE front and back page. The Sox had a MUCH better run to a division crown in '05 than the flubs have this year.

Why do we keep getting shortchanged. Is going 11-1 in the postseason just not enough? The Sox have done more than enough to earn ALOT more respect than the bull**** media gives 'em.

Hey Sun-Times, **** YOU

MCHSoxFan
09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Amen!

Fenway
09-21-2008, 02:56 PM
ESPN thought it was humerous that the way it was folded it looked like

AL CHAMPS

:scratch:

DaveFeelsRight
09-21-2008, 02:58 PM
im looking at the sun times issue the day after the sox won the world series and theres a huge front page picture with them celebrating that says "CHAMPS"

the back has an ad for ford and when you open it up, it has the game 4 recap

anewman35
09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't believe this ****. Are you ****ing kidding me?

Blah blah blah. Who cares? Does it change anything about 2005? Does it change the fact that we're probably making the playoffs too? Turn the page. It's not hard. They might very well do the same thing when the Sox clinch, so at least save your bitching until then.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
all the boston globe does is cover the red sox

cub killer
09-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Blah blah blah. Who cares? Does it change anything about 2005? Does it change the fact that we're probably making the playoffs too? Turn the page. It's not hard. They might very well do the same thing when the Sox clinch, so at least save your bitching until then.

We won the World Series, pal. As the guy above me said, they stuck a frickin Ford ad on our coverage. I think we have the right to be pissed.

I hope people join me in complaining to them if they shortchange us when we clinch this week. We can't just sit back and lie down while the Sox get disrespected. That's exactly what the scrub sheep want us to do. They want us to say "well, it's their town, what r ya gonna do". F that

anewman35
09-21-2008, 03:41 PM
We won the World Series, pal. As the guy above me said, they stuck a frickin Ford ad on our coverage. I think we have the right to be pissed.

I hope people join me in complaining to them if they shortchange us when we clinch this week. We can't just sit back and lie down while the Sox get disrespected. That's exactly what the scrub sheep want us to do. They want us to say "well, it's their town, what r ya gonna do". F that

What they did three years ago really has nothing to do with what they did today. For all you know, totally different people could have been involved with making the decisions they did. And if they do give us less coverage when we clinch, well, that doesn't really matter at all either, but, sure, free free to complain. I bet they won't, though, since it would be really obvious if they were shortchanging one team in the same week. And, just so you know, I'm pretty sure the "scrub sheep" generally don't really care what we think, just as we shouldn't give a **** what they think.

chisoxmike
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmmm...

Looking at my wall I have the 2000 and 2005 Sun-Times covers framed from when they clinched the division.

The 2000 one has a big photo of Maggs and Frank with campaign flying and the headline reads "CHAMPS!" At the bottom it is the start of the article by Richard Roeper that says "It's Time To Get Excited About Our Sox!"

And that's it.

The 2005 cover had Jenks and A.J. high celebrating and the headline reading "YES!"

Both are full page covers. Big deal.

I hope when/if the Sox clinch the division I have another nice cover to frame and put it with the 2005 ALDS, ALCS, and World Series clinching covers and my divison title covers.

areilly
09-21-2008, 04:10 PM
There's already a Cubune, why does the Sun-Times have to raise the north siders on a pedestal? I still cannot believe the big deal they made over a 1 in 8 playoff berth.

Do you really think the Sun-Times is the place to go for editorial neutrality or balanced coverage?

Simply put: there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans. The Cubs doing something is bigger news than the Sox doing it. The news which affects more people gets more coverage, end of story. This is the foundation of every general news publication since the dawn of time: know thy audience.

ChiSoxGirl
09-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Well, I wholeheartedly apologize for using this forum and thread to vent my frustration. I should've known this is the kind of response I'd get from at least one person on the board.

I'm typically not one to be Cubsessed, nor do I always post in "What's the Score?," but this bothered me- not so much the front page coverage, but the whole thing about This Is the Year did, and I wanted to use this forum and thread to see if people were in agreement with me. As per usual, I should have known better. And people wonder why my post count has gone down significantly over the last year or so....

cub killer
09-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Do you really think the Sun-Times is the place to go for editorial neutrality or balanced coverage?

Simply put: there are more Cubs fans than Sox fans. The Cubs doing something is bigger news than the Sox doing it. The news which affects more people gets more coverage, end of story. This is the foundation of every general news publication since the dawn of time: know thy audience.

That doesn't mean we shouldnt do anything about that. We should not accept that. This was once a Sox town, there's no reason we can't turn the tide. I hope you don't feel it's hopeless because I sure as hell don't.

Disco, breakdancing, beanie babies and all other fads eventually died. The flubs are no different. Let's just speed up the process to where their "popularity" becomes just a memory. There's no pride like Sox pride, let's make them feel it.

twentywontowin
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
The fact you're considering the Sun Times as a source of serious journalism is great.

cub killer
09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
The fact you're considering the Sun Times as a source of serious journalism is great.

what newspaper should I switch to then

areilly
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Any that don't have the word "Chicago" in the title. You can get the same news from any number of sources.

alohafri

Streetwise! :redneck

chisoxfanatic
Screw buying the newspapers. You can always view them online. I've only bought 1 Sun Times paper since the Sox won the World Series, and that's because my picture was in it.

Quentin08
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, I wholeheartedly apologize for using this forum and thread to vent my frustration. I should've known this is the kind of response I'd get from at least one person on the board.

I'm typically not one to be Cubsessed, nor do I always post in "What's the Score?," but this bothered me- not so much the front page coverage, but the whole thing about This Is the Year did, and I wanted to use this forum and thread to see if people were in agreement with me. As per usual, I should have known better. And people wonder why my post count has gone down significantly over the last year or so....

Because people aren't in agreement with you? Shouldn't that make it go up? :scratch:

The one thing I'm preparing myself for is the inevitable annoying interviews we'll see with those obnoxious ticket brokers. Why does the local news have to interview those guys so much? ...I'm sure we'll hear "everyone seems to think this is the year, so Cubs playoff tickets are going for $1000 more than Sox tickets.":rolleyes:

cub killer
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Hey don't listen to those guys who would talk smack to a fellow Sox fan. Our fan base is not about that. I see way more comraderie and brotherhood at Comiskey than I'd ever see at the urinal.

You're totally right in your post. Scrub fans have been saying "this is the year" for a century now, and it has not been their year in every one of those seasons. for 99 straight years. It gets kinda old after the first 50. So I agree with you 100%, they should realize that they say that EVERY season, to no avail, and should see how ridiculous they look at this point. They take The Boy who Cried Wolf to a whole new level. Any other fan would be embarrassed to utter the same phrase, year in and year out.

We didn't spew such nonsense in our 88 year drought. But when we did say "this is our year" in 2005, guess what, it WAS. The scrub sheep better never forget that.

Don't get discouraged by the guys who naysay you here, they don't know any better. Keep posting here and venting all you want, that's what this site is for. Hopefully those who are mean to ya will realize that Sox Nation is one unit, and we shouldnt dis each other.

alohafri
09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
The one thing I'm preparing myself for is the inevitable annoying interviews we'll see with those obnoxious ticket brokers. Why does the local news have to interview those guys so much? ..."everyone seems to think this is the year, so Cubs playoff tickets are going for $1000 more than Sox tickets.":rolleyes:

And those fools will pay it. A few years ago, before the Cell renovations, I sat in the upper deck for a Sox/cubs game (may have been 2003 or 2005). I think I paid 25 bucks per ticket. These goofy cub fans sitting behind us said that they paid $200 per ticket! And I didn't get the impression that they were yanking my chain. When I told them I didn't pay that much for All Star Game tickets in the lower deck boxes, one guy said, "well, I really wanted to see this game."

alohafri
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I can't imagine how you'll react if we clinched and they happen to mention the Cubs on the front page, too.

And they will too. I can see it now..."Sox Clinch!...a week after the Cubs".

soxpride724
09-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again. The National League BLOOOOWS!!!

I realize that anything can happen in the Playoffs, but there is one thing that can not happen. And that is a National League Team beating an American League team. Sorry scrubbie fans, but it is just not going to happen.

The disperities between the 2 leagues right now is not even close. Case in point, last year. Colorado was ON ABSOLUTE FIRE!!! Hottest team EVER!! What happened to them once they had to face the AL? Umm, well, I think We all know what happened. :D:

With 83 wins the Cardinals of 06 managed to go on the road mind you, and still take it to the Tigers in a 4 game sweep.

soxpride724
09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't worry dude, these Cub fans need something positive to remember this year by when it's all said and done.

With that being said, I do agree that they get WAYYY more attention than the Sox but **** man that aint never gonna change.

**** the Scum Times and their staff, as a poster mentioned earlier, why are you even purchasing that trash?

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Once again measuring column inches and coverage sizes.

Get the **** over it people. The Cubs are the news this year. What don't you get?

Unreal.

#1swisher
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
$

cub killer
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
With that being said, I do agree that they get WAYYY more attention than the Sox but **** man that aint never gonna change.

Dude, we CANNOT think that way man! We can take back this ****ing town, those scrub fans AINT ****.

just don't have that mindset, man, we will own this mother****er. The White Sox are a real team, the other team is ****.

The way the 05 team kept pecking away at the opposition en route to glory, that's how we gotta slowly take down the scrub "popularity" in this town until they're as popular as the Sky (although they're not as manly)

1908<2005
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow you guys are all babies.
Waaa the Tribune has Cub bias!
Waaa the Sun Times has Cub bias!
Waaa WGN has Cub bias!

They clinched the division of course they are getting the front page.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-10/20185351.jpg
http://www.myteamprints.com/images/baseball/lrg/2193WhiteSox.jpg
http://chicagofantasybaseballcamp.com/images/DailyHerald.jpg

So much for your attack.

Vestigio
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I've never heard of this and I follow every show. He good-heartedly called them a minor league team 20001129, but Sox fans hate him anyway and just throw in he's likes the Cubs more than the Sox (he does still like them), and that makes it worse.

Besides, who cares what musicians think about baseball? They aren't any better or worse than other fools that blindly follow the Cubs.

Someone already reaffirmed what I said in this topic. Dont get me wrong, PJ is my second favorite band, and I knew Vedder was a cubs fan beforehand. I just lost some of his respect when he made this song.

soxpride724
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Dude, we CANNOT think that way man! We can take back this ****ing town, those scrub fans AINT ****.

just don't have that mindset, man, we will own this mother****er. The White Sox are a real team, the other team is ****.

The way the 05 team kept pecking away at the opposition en route to glory, that's how we gotta slowly take down the scrub "popularity" in this town until they're as popular as the Sky (although they're not as manly)

When Jerry Reinsdorf elected to go to cable and the Cubs went to the Superstation that is what changed the table when both teams were once equal, as I have heard it from some older Sox fans. If Lip is here he can explain it as I've heard his explanation before.

So they get more attention, this isn't a popularity contest and attendance and tv ratings dosen't win you a ring.

Woofer
09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Damn, I love seeing those again. Hope we can repeat that feeling soon.

1908<2005
09-21-2008, 07:03 PM

The Cubs own us in the TV ratings this season. Yes I know we beat them in 2006 but that was one of their worst years in team history and we had a solid season.

pierzynski07
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Let's wait to see what they do for us the day after we clinch before complaining about the coverage from three years ago. For all we know, they'll probably do the exact same thing.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM

i'm with u, dood! let's take it to the streets! we will rise again! slogans!

WSox597
09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey, it could be worse. We get the fishwrapper that is the Joliet Herald.

High school sports get more ink than all Chicago pro teams. And they even list them as Chicago in the standings, like it's an out of town team.

But have no fear, even in that miserable excuse for a newspaper, the Cubs get more ink than the Sox.

The Cubs inevitable collapse this year will get more ink than the Sox even if they pull their heads out of their nether regions and win it all.

I can deal with that if it happens, especially this year.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
With 83 wins the Cardinals of 06 managed to go on the road mind you, and still take it to the Tigers in a 4 game sweep.
It was a five-game series. Detroit actually won Game Two.

Still, go Dodgers, Phillies, or Mets!

soxpride724
09-21-2008, 08:12 PM
It was a five-game series. Detroit actually won Game Two.

Still, go Dodgers, Phillies, or Mets!

My bad, I didn't watch much if any of that series lol.

Be affraid of the Dodgers Cub fans, lol.

cub killer
09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
So they get more attention, this isn't a popularity contest and attendance and tv ratings dosen't win you a ring.

Tell that to the scrub sheep. Every time I argue with them, I tell them that WE won the World Series and they respond with "we have more fans!"

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Tell that to the scrub sheep. Every time I argue with them, I tell them that WE won the World Series and they respond with "we have more fans!"

i make all important decisions in my life based on newspaper cover photos

anewman35
09-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Well, it's true. They DO have more fans. Of course they're going to use anything they can - what, you expect them to say "you know, you're right. I give up. Go Sox!"? If the situation was reversed, and they'd won the World Series, wouldn't you use anything you could think of to try to defend your team?

ChiSoxGirl
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Because people aren't in agreement with you? Shouldn't that make it go up? :scratch:

The one thing I'm preparing myself for is the inevitable annoying interviews we'll see with those obnoxious ticket brokers. Why does the local news have to interview those guys so much? ...I'm sure we'll hear "everyone seems to think this is the year, so Cubs playoff tickets are going for $1000 more than Sox tickets.":rolleyes:

No, because I'm not one for confrontation. If people disagree with or try to prove me wrong, I just let it go. Besides, I probably don't have a good comeback or enough knowledge basis about the ins and outs of the team like so many other people here do to respond back at them. I don't like to post often because I don't want to look stupid with the things I say or comments I make. Typically, I make one post a week- my TBGR on Saturdays- and anything past that one post is kind of unusual for me.

Rockman218
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Sun-Times, **** YOU

**** them with a ****ing light bulb!

Medford Bobby
09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
No, because I'm not one for confrontation. If people disagree with or try to prove me wrong, I just let it go. Besides, I probably don't have a good comeback or enough knowledge basis about the ins and outs of the team like so many other people here do to respond back at them. I don't like to post often because I don't want to look stupid with the things I say or comments I make. Typically, I make one post a week- my TBGR on Saturdays- and anything past that one post is kind of unusual for me.

I think it's the anxiety and suspense of finally winning the division and this slow finish to achieve this, is just too much. I feel crappy now because the Bear game was brutal :angry:to watch, and I should feel good that at least the Sox got a victory!:)

cub killer
09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, it's true. They DO have more fans. Of course they're going to use anything they can - what, you expect them to say "you know, you're right. I give up. Go Sox!"? If the situation was reversed, and they'd won the World Series, wouldn't you use anything you could think of to try to defend your team?

What's with all the scrub sympathy (scrubathy?) around here? Do you guys understand what the scrub sheep say about us? They say the worst things in the book. Ligues and trailer trash and illiterates and ghetto. etc. Scrub sheep talk constant **** and some of you guys here sympathize with those imbeciles. They'll only laugh at you more for stickin up for them. They'll start with that "They wish they were like us"

Do you know they think we wish we were scrub fans like them? They think we don't switch only because we feel we're stuck, but if we could go back, we'd be scrub fans at an earlier age.

They think they're superior and if they see Sox fans sticking up for them, that'll only make them into bigger ****in *******s. Don't feed their egos.

Watch, I'm gonna get responses saying "you're generalizing them" or "i have good friends who are cub fans and they're not like that". I don't think we should show them fools any love at all, they're an embarrassment to our city.

Imagine if all of us were cold to them, without apologies. Then they'd think twice before they talk all the smack that they do. But they think we're a rag-tag, harmless group. That we don't matter. Sympathizing with them only gives them more power in a city where they wrongly have too much already.

Stand up for your ****ing team and quit sympathizing with the enemy!

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
What's with all the scrub sympathy (scrubathy?) around here? Do you guys understand what the scrub sheep say about us? They say the worst things in the book. Ligues and trailer trash and illiterates and ghetto. etc. Scrub sheep talk constant **** and some of you guys here sympathize with those imbeciles. They'll only laugh at you more for stickin up for them. They'll start with that "They wish they were like us"

Do you know they think we wish we were scrub fans like them? They think we don't switch only because we feel we're stuck, but if we could go back, we'd be scrub fans at an earlier age.

They think they're superior and if they see Sox fans sticking up for them, that'll only make them into bigger ****in *******s. Don't feed their egos.

Watch, I'm gonna get responses saying "you're generalizing them" or "i have good friends who are cub fans and they're not like that". I don't think we should show them fools any love at all, they're an embarrassment to our city.

Imagine if all of us were cold to them, without apologies. Then they'd think twice before they talk all the smack that they do. But they think we're a rag-tag, harmless group. That we don't matter. Sympathizing with them only gives them more power in a city where they wrongly have too much already.

get a grip, hangar...

anewman35
09-21-2008, 09:36 PM

I hate the Cubs. I hate Cubs fans, and I want them to lose as much as possible. But the kind of **** you're saying above makes you (and Sox fans) look bad, not them. It's fine to hate the Cubs, it's fine to want them to lose, but, come on, if you think they're so bad don't drop down to their level. Worry about your team, not about what some other team's fans might or might not be thinking, or what some newspaper prints on the cover.

cub killer
09-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I hate the Cubs. I hate Cubs fans, and I want them to lose as much as possible. But the kind of **** you're saying above makes you (and Sox fans) look bad, not them. It's fine to hate the Cubs, it's fine to want them to lose, but, come on, if you think they're so bad don't drop down to their level. Worry about your team, not about what some other team's fans might or might not be thinking, or what some newspaper prints on the cover.

I disagree. if we don't get vocal about it, the media will only continue to piss on us as if we're a non entity.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I disagree. if we don't get vocal about it, the media will only continue to piss on us as if we're a non entity.

you need to detail a five-point plan for victory. anything less is admitting defeat.

AnkleSox
09-21-2008, 10:21 PM

Baseball is a sport. Sports are played and viewed for recreational purposes.

cub killer
09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
you need to detail a five-point plan for victory. anything less is admitting defeat.

Now you're talkin'. Let's paint this town black and white

areilly
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Now you're talkin'. Let's paint this town black and white

So how are we going to do it?

guillensdisciple
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
This kind of crap can cause violence? Is this **** really worth it. It is a sport, why are we fighting over something we have no control over?

I LOATHE cubs fans but I am not going to go into revolutionary crap over it. It is obvious that the chicago media is bias so we just have to stick it out and transfer sox love down the generations. Breed REAL baseball fans not the bull**** they throw out over there.

Then at the end of it all, regardless of our coverage, we will know who the real fans are. If we try to act out on the anger that we harbor against them we will fall into their stupid trap.

The cubs suck... a lot. What the sox need to shut those guys up is one more championship. We take it down, we can settle the controversy forever.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
So how are we going to do it?

Paint, damn you, PAINT!

:superman:

slavko
09-21-2008, 11:05 PM
When Jerry Reinsdorf elected to go to cable and the Cubs went to the Superstation that is what changed the table when both teams were once equal, as I have heard it from some older Sox fans. If Lip is here he can explain it as I've heard his explanation before.

Long before there was a Reinsdorf, Bill Veeck kept track of the unequal coverage and hounded the newspapers about it. So "Some Older Sox Fans" would be wrong.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2008, 11:21 PM
What I don't understand is how every one else in America sympathizes with the cubs? Does anyone else know that they haven't won in a hundred years? Does anyone else know that they say the same desperate crap every year to make themselves feel better? Does anyone know that they have a fan base that is overtaken by absolute idiots? Does anyone know that they are an embarrassment to the game of baseball?

I remember last year they made a big deal about the Phillies 10000 losses being the most out of any team. People were saying that it was horrible and the Phillies were eaten alive for a few days. The cubs however can't win a world series, have a ton of losing seasons for one hundred years, and no one notices. Instead every damn sports writer falls in love with them and glorifies them for the rest of the world.

Why has no one recognized failure when it is in front of their eyes? It makes me sick that last week ESPN posted a sympathy video about cubs fans. How many of them can you actually say deserve a world championship? How can you consider yourself loyal when you allow your team to fail for so long? Isn't it a fans job to ask for success? What are you paying for if you don't demand greatness?

Maybe someone should have said that Cubs fans are idiots for being around for so long, not loyal. I am not saying they should have left to the sox but instead made some active push to see improved baseball for the past 100 years.

No, no one writes about that, instead we have to hear about their greatness.

Go Sox! Tear another hole in the pride of those damned cubs fans!

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2008, 11:41 PM

Dude, get off the Red Bull. You sound like a 12 year old.

The popularity **** will not change, even if we 10 championships and they continue to suck. It is what it is. Be happy being a fan of our club and quit worrying about everything else.

EuroSox35
09-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I disagree that a division title is not a big deal, and let's delay the hatred, since you'll have the perfect chance to prove a bias or not when they cover ours

EuroSox35
09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
The Cubs own us in the TV ratings this season. Yes I know we beat them in 2006 but that was one of their worst years in team history and we had a solid season.

Yeah, and we had a terrible season last year, just like they did in 05. The moral of the story is that the city is full of bandwagon fans, which is why it's not worth getting wrapped up in ratings, attendance, etc

And even if they were consistently far and away better in those categories, I still wouldn't care, they've been pumped up as the type of team bandwagoners or casual fans go after, like all these Lakers fans that pop up with no connection to LA, and people around the league/who follow the team know that. I'd rather be a affiliated as a true fan for true reasons than the flavor of the week

Bucky F. Dent
09-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Never had much use for Pearl Jam in the first place.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
This song played on Q101 and I almost threw up. Had to change the station, it was too unbearable to listen.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm filing this under: HE'S. A. CELEBRITY. We've got Mayor Daley, Richard Roeper, Shani Davis, Twista and I guess, Obama (yes, I know I forgot a few people... blah blah). They've got well... pretty much everyone else. I mean think about it- what celebrity doesn't want to get to go to a ballgame, get a free jersey, plug your latest project to millions of people on TV with softball questions from baseball commentators, all for the price of singing in front of some completely drunken idiots who will worship you for it. Vedder's been a Cub fan for a while, though. I think he was one of the first celebrities to sing after Harry Caray died. It's also basic demographics- where have a lot of the celebrities from the Chicago area come from? North suburbs. And where did they move to the second they finished high school or college so they could desperately cling to being "from Chicago"? The North side. Some of them didn't care about sports, but the ones who did naturally gravitated to the Urinal.

Granted not all celebrities come from the North, Kanye, Common, Rhymefest, Jennifer Hudson and Mr. T are all from the Southside of the city but none of them seem to care much about baseball. At least we've got Twista rockin' our gear.... I guess.

Whatever.

~Steve

johnr1note
09-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Look guys, all we have to do to silence all of this is win the 2008 World Series!

soxfanatlanta
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Look guys, all we have to do to silence all of this is win the 2008 World Series!

That ought to do it.

TomBradley72
09-22-2008, 09:15 AM
We received plenty of great media coverage in 2005. The Cubs have a larger fan base...and a much bigger fan base within the media (lots of relocated people)....so they are always going to get more coverage.

Which will just make it all the sweeter when we're moving on to the ALCS and the Cubbies and their fans are waking up on the floor like a college frat party, the morning after they've been eliminated in the ALDS, asking themselves, "What happened?".

PatK
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Bah, they can have all that coverage and ink.

It makes their inevitable exit from the playoffs that more sweet to enjoy.

geraldfritz
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, just keep in mind, Choketober is coming fast.

ChiSoxFan81
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I was a little irked too, but let's wait and see if the Sox get the same treatment when they clinch. If not, then we have a problem.

Iwritecode
09-22-2008, 10:47 AM

Come to Rockford and you'll find Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers. :thud:

I just figure that the Sox stuff is selling so fast they can't keep it in stock. :cool:

Chez
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
The Cubs are more popular than the Sox. Not only is that point indisputable, but it's one of the many reasons I enjoy being a Sox fan!

kittle42
09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
This kind of crap can cause violence? Is this **** really worth it. It is a sport, why are we fighting over something we have no control over?

I LOATHE cubs fans but I am not going to go into revolutionary crap over it. It is obvious that the chicago media is bias so we just have to stick it out and transfer sox love down the generations. Breed REAL baseball fans not the bull**** they throw out over there.

Then at the end of it all, regardless of our coverage, we will know who the real fans are. If we try to act out on the anger that we harbor against them we will fall into their stupid trap.

The cubs suck... a lot. What the sox need to shut those guys up is one more championship. We take it down, we can settle the controversy forever.

Thanks to you and several others for actually bringing rational thought into this thread.

Soxfanspcu11
09-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Oh My God. Your kidding right?

The Cardinals did not Win that Series. Detoilet lost it. I thought everyone knew that.

Oh Well.

And if you think that the National League actually has a shot against the American League, then I have some Prime Real Estate in Florida that I think would be just perfect for you. Also, I will see you around October 28th or so and see what you think then. Cheers! :gulp:

russ99
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
My take is let the numbskulls have their fun.

As long as we make the playoffs they'll be easy to ignore, and think of the entertainment value if the Cubs blow it as usual.

The only thing I'd get really upset with on this unequal coverage is if the Sox and Cubs both get in, and the network would push all the Cubs games to night games (like the Yankees) and give the Sox a crappy schedule where I can't watch the games.

russ99
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
What, you guys didn't buy the "It's gonna happen" commemorative pewter bear figurine set?

:D:

white sox bill
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh My God. Your kidding right?

And if you think that the National League actually has a shot against the American League, then I have some Prime Real Estate in Florida that I think would be just perfect for you
That would be a few blocks from the Grand Canyon right?

All joking aside, yes the AL is quite a bit better, however something happens in the playoffs and you can throw all those dress rehersals aside.

SOXPHILE
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
What I don't understand is how every one else in America sympathizes with the cubs? Does anyone else know that they haven't won in a hundred years? Does anyone else know that they say the same desperate crap every year to make themselves feel better? Does anyone know that they have a fan base that is overtaken by absolute idiots? Does anyone know that they are an embarrassment to the game of baseball?

I remember last year they made a big deal about the Phillies 10000 losses being the most out of any team. People were saying that it was horrible and the Phillies were eaten alive for a few days. The cubs however can't win a world series, have a ton of losing seasons for one hundred years, and no one notices. Instead every damn sports writer falls in love with them and glorifies them for the rest of the world.

Why has no one recognized failure when it is in front of their eyes? It makes me sick that last week ESPN posted a sympathy video about cubs fans. How many of them can you actually say deserve a world championship? How can you consider yourself loyal when you allow your team to fail for so long? Isn't it a fans job to ask for success? What are you paying for if you don't demand greatness?

Maybe someone should have said that Cubs fans are idiots for being around for so long, not loyal. I am not saying they should have left to the sox but instead made some active push to see improved baseball for the past 100 years.

No, no one writes about that, instead we have to hear about their greatness.

Go Sox! Tear another hole in the pride of those damned cubs fans!

And that pretty much sumarizes why I have hated the Cubs, their fans, and the whole media driven "Cub aura", since the middle of the 1984 season.

areilly
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM

To their credit, the Cubs' brand of loserdom is very pretty. Philadelphia, Cleveland and the like certainly can't claim that.