PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to stay positive

thomas35forever
09-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Lock this thread if we lose tomorrow. This is only for posters who think we still have a chance. I'll start the list:

1) Floyd's won in the Dome this year

2) Sox haven't been swept since Wrigley

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:15 AM
1. The Twins are not that good.

2. We are due to finaly win a big game.

Konerko05
09-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I bet we could come up with a lot more than two reasons to stay negative.

chisoxmike
09-25-2008, 12:16 AM

I really wish people would stop saying this.

If they are not that good, what are the Sox?

SoxSpeed22
Worse things have happened. Go Gavin.

LoveYourSuit

If they are not that good, what are the Sox?

They are not that good either.

It's a bad division.

SoxSpeed22
09-25-2008, 12:17 AM

If they are not that good, what are the Sox?Not that good as well.
They should win less than 90 games, they went 12-18 in their 30 game stretch before this series and we failed to take advantage properly.

chisoxmike
09-25-2008, 12:21 AM
They're both good teams. That's it. They're good enough. They're nothing special. Both teams have major flaws that come out with their inability to win on the road.

For the Sox, I think it's more of a "heart" problem than anything else.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:21 AM
If the Sox cannot win a division when the two most talented teams have a very down year in the division..... I hold my breathe about the future of this club unless some major changes are made.

chisoxmike
09-25-2008, 12:23 AM
If the Sox cannot win a division when the two most talented teams have a very down year in the division..... I hold my breathe about the future of this club unless some major changes are made.

But your "two most talented teams" are not talented at all.

The Tigers were not anything special to start the season. The Indians downfall surprised me more than the Tigers crappy season.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2008, 12:26 AM
What are you talking about? They have the greatest CF in MLB and their DH is better than TCQ. Ask Hawk! He'll tell you all about that, and praise the "piranhas" to death!

I'm going to CVS Pharmacy to buy a huge bottle of Pepto Bismo.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
What are you talking about? They have the greatest CF in MLB and their DH is better than TCQ. Ask Hawk! He'll tell you all about that, and praise the "piranhas" to death!

You stop it now.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:29 AM
But your "two most talented teams" are not talented at all.

The Tigers were not anything special to start the season. The Indians downfall surprised me more than the Tigers crappy season.

Going into the season they were.

The Indians became a mess with injuries. Same can be said about the Tigers.

thomas35forever
09-25-2008, 12:30 AM
This thread has already diverted from its original purpose. This is not a thread for debate. It's for answering the question as to why we shouldn't stop believing.

chisoxfan4life
09-25-2008, 12:33 AM
No matter what happens we should be proud of how far the Sox have come this year. Nobody saw it coming. My best case scenario this spring was us being in a battle for the division with Cleveland (never thought the Twins, but it's basically the same thing). I knew the Tigers were overrated trash. So now on September 25th, the best case scenario has turned into worst case scenario so I can't be too upset.

That being said, there's too much presence in the clubhouse with Thome and Griffey (both of whom should really want a ring) for this team not to pull it out.

I'm expecting big things out of Gavin tomorrow night, I hope he's up to the challenge.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:37 AM
This thread has already diverted from its original purpose. This is not a thread for debate. It's for answering the question as to why we shouldn't stop believing.

Well, it appears everyone has folded their tents. There is nothing positive to say.

BNLSox
09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
1) Because the White Sox almost always win the pennant the year after the Red Sox win the series.

2) Because the city of Chicago deserves to be crazy with baseball for another month.

3) Because we've invested too many hours in this team to let a bunch of punks from Minny take this fun season away from us.

4) Because I need an excuse to avoid the upcoming (jewish) holidays and watch some October ball.

DSpivack
09-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Because I need to be distracted when in Texas at a friends wedding the weekend after next.

soxfan1965
09-25-2008, 01:29 AM
1. It ain't over till it's over.
2. Older Sox players without ring or even playoff experience won't let (or want) this one to slip away.
3. Sox have a knack for salvaging series and should be used to the intimidating atmosphere by now.
4. Dan Hampton spoke like a frustrated Sox fan this morning on the WSCR over their play. Great to have Dan pulling for the Sox!
5. KC is playing good baseball and must hate people thinking Minnesota is going easily beat them.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Because sooner or later according to the law of averages the Sox have to win a game in the House of Horrors. (Hopefully it's more then one a season...)

Lip

JB98
09-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Because we are a better team than the Twins, and it's about damn time we go out and prove it.

nysox35
09-25-2008, 02:56 AM
1. The pitcher we want out there to be the stopper is out there (Floyd)
2. We still control our own destiny.
3. Win tomorrow and the heat is back on them, in a big way.
4. Win tomorrow and we can still clinch as early as after Saturday's games.
5. Worst case scenario, we lose tomorrow, we still control our own destiny in forcing a playoff vs. MN, which would be at home, not to mention we are in Chicago for the final 3 (or 4) regular season games.
6. We have had some success against Slowey.
7. As someone said, Gavin has had success in the Dome.
8. If we can pull this thing off, Tampa will be our likely opponent. I'd prefer playing them to Boston.

Go Sox!

The Critic
09-25-2008, 03:45 AM

I was going to ask where the "L" was in Pepto Bismol, but then I remembered the Sox are using up all the L's this week.

Ziggy S
09-25-2008, 03:56 AM
Gavin is a rookie and a young un. However, Luke Skywalker was a teenager and he still managed to destroy two Death Stars and defeat Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. Floyd just needs to channel his inner Luke and use the Force and the hitters need to stop being a bunch of Jar Jars/Gungans. Heck, the Ewoks have shown more fight than the position "players" in the last week.

Malgar 12
09-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Gavin is a rookie and a young un. However, Luke Skywalker was a teenager and he still managed to destroy two Death Stars and defeat Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. Floyd just needs to channel his inner Luke and use the Force and the hitters need to stop being a bunch of Jar Jars/Gungans. Heck, the Ewoks have shown more fight than the position "players" in the last week.

Yeah but can Ewoks hit a curveball?!:D:

KyWhiSoxFan
09-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Floyd has been their best pitcher all year and he has beaten the Twins three times this year. If he can win, the Sox fate is in their hands and can clinch with a sweep of Cleveland or two wins vs. Cleveland and one loss by Minnesota. There is no reason to believe they can't win tonight.

esbrechtel
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
As much as Hawks Gomez love is kind of annoying, that kid can flat out play. You would all LOVE to have that kid on this club. I know I would. Yeah he still needs some seasoning, but hes pretty good.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2008, 09:49 AM
As much as Hawks Gomez love is kind of annoying, that kid can flat out play. You would all LOVE to have that kid on this club. I know I would. Yeah he still needs some seasoning, but hes pretty good.

Gomez would solve a lot of this team's issues of speed, bat control, and defense. He doesn't walk a lot, but he impressed me last year as a Met. They could use him right now.

Back to the thread....We still control our destiny. If we pull this one out tonight, then we'll be okay. I still think we'll hang on and win this thing regardless of what happens. But this team's one-dimensional style of play continually gets exposed in the Dome and must be addressed in the offseason.

voodoochile
09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah but can Ewoks hit a curveball?!:D:

Chewbaca for cleanup hitter - after all, the pitcher would throw him nothing but cookies since he'd rip of their arms if he didn't win...

slavko
09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Every time they've managed to catch up to us, they've fallen back. Why would this be different? Plus, Gavin's won 8 times after losses this year. If all else fails, we're due for a 5 game winning streak at home.

white sox bill
09-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Rather ironic that all of Baseball said the AL Central is the elite division. Turns out it's 2nd worst.

october23sp
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
If we lose tonight there will be no playoff game against minn. to go to the playoffs. They would hold the head to head tiebreaker. A tie at the end would give them the division.

asindc
09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Because the Sox are the better team.

Because it is very unlikely that Minny will run the table.

Because these are not your daddy's 2000 or 2003 Sox.

Because Minny needed a gift safe call at 2nd to win the game last night.

Because my man Dye is overdue for a HR.

Because Yogi Berra said it best.

TomBradley72
09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
If we lose tonight there will be no playoff game against minn. to go to the playoffs. They would hold the head to head tiebreaker. A tie at the end would give them the division.

No, that's not accurate. That only applies if two teams tie, and MLB is trying to decide who is the Division winner and who is the Wild Card.

If two teams tie for a Division's best record and the Wild Card is coming from another Division, a one game tie breaker decides it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/division_ties.shtml

So we could be playing until next Tuesday...if we need to play the make up game vs. Detroit and then the tiebreaker vs. the Twins.

PAWS UP!

ode to veeck
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
No, that's not accurate. That only applies if two teams tie, and MLB is trying to decide who is the Division winner and who is the Wild Card.

If two teams tie for a Division's best record and the Wild Card is coming from another Division, a one game tie breaker decides it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/division_ties.shtml

So we could be playing until next Tuesday...if we need to play the make up game vs. Detroit and then the tiebreaker vs. the Twins.

PAWS UP!

as it has several times in the past

ode to veeck
09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Twins activate Panniccia and send him in late in the game Thur with a 12-0 lead. Sox score 9 unanswered runs but still lose and then win next four games to head into the playoffs over The Twinkies

hellview
09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Because the Sox are the better team.

Because it is very unlikely that Minny will run the table.

Because these are not your daddy's 2000 or 2003 Sox.

Because Minny needed a gift safe call at 2nd to win the game last night.

Because my man Dye is overdue for a HR.

Because Yogi Berra said it best.

Who's to say the Twins still wouldn't have won since the game would have been tied 2-2. Also you could say that Thome should have struck out before he hit that double through the shift and later scored on the Griffey groundout.

So lets not play that card.

asindc
09-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Who's to say the Twins still wouldn't have won since the game would have been tied 2-2. Also you could say that Thome should have struck out before he hit that double through the shift and later scored on the Griffey groundout.

So lets not play that card.

Fair enough. I had to follow the game on gamecast, so I didn't know about the play until seeing it on morning highlights. I'm still freshly ticked off about it.

SteveFakeBlood
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you for this thread! I posted a thread essentially about being as pissed off about people's negative attitudes as I was about our offense's performance, but it disappeared (I guess I crossed the line with some of my statements- calling people "crybaby Cubs fans" was admittedly a bit much).

So here we are:
1) WE. ARE. STILL. IN. FIRST. PLACE. I don't like doing all caps for emphasis, but everyone has seemed to have forgotten this. I'm profoundly amazed by how many people gave up on the season last night, even though we still have a lead. 2005, anyone? We're not as good as that team, but sadly the same attitude was there.

2) People are selling Gavin short. He hasn't been good against the Twins this year... he's been unreal. In 4 starts against the Twins this year, he's 3-1 with a 1.24 ERA. I like our chances.

3) The Royals have manhandled the Tigers the last few games, we can't count on that to carryover, but remember when they swept the Tigers on the road in '06 which gave the Central title to the Twins? The Royals really relish playing the spoiler role and for all their crappiness, they've got guys who play with a lot of heart. I have a good feeling about them at least avoiding a sweep at the Dome.

4) Even if we lose tonight, we're still only half a game out, we've got three at home against the Tribe with Danks starting Friday night.

5) If we end Sunday night a half game out, we have a make-up game on Monday against the Tigers (who just got cuffed around by the Royals) and then a playoff against Minnesota at the Cell on Tuesday.

6) Momentum, Schmoentum. This is still our division to lose.

7) To stress the point yet again: When the going gets tough, the tough don't stop caring about their team.

~Steve

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Thank you for this thread! I posted a thread essentially about being as pissed off about people's negative attitudes as I was about our offense's performance, but it disappeared (I guess I crossed the line with some of my statements- calling people "crybaby Cubs fans" was admittedly a bit much).

So here we are:
1) WE. ARE. STILL. IN. FIRST. PLACE. I don't like doing all caps for emphasis, but everyone has seemed to have forgotten this. I'm profoundly amazed by how many people gave up on the season last night, even though we still have a lead. 2005, anyone? We're not as good as that team, but sadly the same attitude was there.

2) People are selling Gavin short. He hasn't been good against the Twins this year... he's been unreal. In 4 starts against the Twins this year, he's 3-1 with a 1.24 ERA. I like our chances.

3) The Royals have manhandled the Tigers the last few games, we can't count on that to carryover, but remember when they swept the Tigers on the road in '06 which gave the Central title to the Twins? The Royals really relish playing the spoiler role and for all their crappiness, they've got guys who play with a lot of heart. I have a good feeling about them at least avoiding a sweep at the Dome.

4) Even if we lose tonight, we're still only half a game out, we've got three at home against the Tribe with Danks starting Friday night.

5) If we end Sunday night a half game out, we have a make-up game on Monday against the Tigers (who just got cuffed around by the Royals) and then a playoff against Minnesota at the Cell on Tuesday.

7) To stress the point yet again: When the going gets tough, the tough don't stop caring about their team.

~Steve

Post more often. Good stuff, Steve.

asindc
09-25-2008, 12:57 PM

So here we are:

~Steve

Thank you, sir. To those who need to read this (and you know who you are), keep this in mind for the next few days.

09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I think this is exactly what the 2008 White Sox needed.

If they are going to win anything at all and make a run into late October they need to go on a hot streak.

We are NOT facing Johan Santana today. What a difference a year makes.

If we win tonight then the weekend series we swing the momentum to us for and go in hot like we did in 2005.

If we had clinched 2 days ago than we don't ride what I think this team needs to win into the playoffs.

sox1970
09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I think this is exactly what the 2008 White Sox needed.

If they are going to win anything at all and make a run into late October they need to go on a hot streak.

We are NOT facing Johan Santana today. What a difference a year makes.

If we win tonight then the weekend series we swing the momentum to us for and go in hot like we did in 2005.

If we had clinched 2 days ago than we don't ride what I think this team needs to win into the playoffs.

If it makes you feel better to think that...

chaerulez
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
A reason to stay positive would be the Twins have a very bad bullpen. Worse than ours. But we weren't able to get anything off Boof Bonser and his 5+ ERA last night, hopefully we are due.

Chisox353014
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM

So here we are:

~Steve

As frustrating as this week has been, things can go completely 180 after tonight. I'm still on board untill the bitter end.

cws05champ
09-25-2008, 02:18 PM
gavin is a rookie and a young un. However, luke skywalker was a teenager and he still managed to destroy two death stars and defeat darth vader and emperor palpatine. Floyd just needs to channel his inner luke and use the force and the hitters need to stop being a bunch of jar jars/gungans. Heck, the ewoks have shown more fight than the position "players" in the last week.
nerd alert!!!!

Lundind1
09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Hang in there. If it doesn't work then we know what has to be worked on. I am still happy and hopeful, as we have not been eliminated yet. If and when that happens, then I can be sorrowful.

manders_01
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM

So here we are:

~Steve

So true. And hopefully seeing AJ amped up after his out in the 9th means the tough play like they've never played before (and have some fun doing it too)! :smile:

As frustrating as this week has been, things can go completely 180 after tonight. I'm still on board untill the bitter end.

I'm with ya! :thumbsup:

nug0hs
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
No matter what happens we should be proud of how far the Sox have come this year. Nobody saw it coming. My best case scenario this spring was us being in a battle for the division with Cleveland (never thought the Twins, but it's basically the same thing). I knew the Tigers were overrated trash. So now on September 25th, the best case scenario has turned into worst case scenario so I can't be too upset.

That being said, there's too much presence in the clubhouse with Thome and Griffey (both of whom should really want a ring) for this team not to pull it out.

I'm expecting big things out of Gavin tomorrow night, I hope he's up to the challenge.

Better be careful. I got ripped apart in the other thread for saying nearly the same thing.

KenBerryGrab
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
C'mon, White Sox. You can do it!

ChiSoxFan7
09-25-2008, 04:54 PM
number 1 reason:

we are still in first. I'm surprised this hasn't been stated yet. :?:

but I know that it could change tonight but as of right now we are in the playoffs and that's all i need to know. As a lifelong sox fan i have discovered that you must take it one day at a time.

Let's GO GO GAVIN:bandance:

asindc
09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
number 1 reason:

we are still in first. I'm surprised this hasn't been stated yet. :?:

but I know that it could change tonight but as of right now we are in the playoffs and that's all i need to know. As a lifelong sox fan i have discovered that you must take it one day at a time.

Let's GO GO GAVIN:bandance:

It has been, but bears worth repeating.

whitesox901
09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Lock this thread if we lose tomorrow. This is only for posters who think we still have a chance. I'll start the list:

1) Floyd's won in the Dome this year

2) Sox haven't been swept since Wrigley

2. We are due to finaly win a big game.

Good Enough for me, GO SOX!

ChiSoxFan7
09-25-2008, 04:57 PM
number 2: (thanks to redsand for this one)

there's two songs that still play on my itunes.

DONT STOP BELIEVIN and THUNDERSTRUCK:rolleyes::D:

Law11
09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
1. Im sick of feeling negative today.
end of list.

JUST WIN !!

ChiSoxFan7
09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
It has been, but bears worth repeating.

my bad. i thought i read all of them:redface:

Desert Rat
09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, I finally get to see a home broadcast so that's my positive for a W tonight. Enough of the "circle me, Bert" Twinkie fans camera shots.
Although as my wife said last night, "there is just nobody we can count on anymore". Big test for Gavin and I think he gets it done. Will the offense?

hi im skot
09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
5JsQPcdXzfo

soxwon
09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
its all gonna work out great, we win tonight two of 3 vs clev, then take tampa bay, california and Da Phillies.
Its easy.

thomas35forever
09-25-2008, 05:33 PM
its all gonna work out great, we win tonight two of 3 vs clev, then take tampa bay, california and Da Phillies.
Its easy.
Where has Da Rev been in all of this?

hi im skot
09-25-2008, 05:34 PM

Dropping the ball.

My faith in Da Rev has wavered.

soxwon
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM

I posted a sermon before the Yankee series, but unfortunately, it didnt help.
Still keepin the faith, we'll win this division, just chill people.

ChiSox65
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
If we go 3-2 in the last 5....

Twinkies have to go 4-0 to beat us.

Let's do it.