PDA

View Full Version : The Official: C'Mon Gavin!!!!!!! Thread

BigP50
09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
biggest game of his life.

we score runs and we most likely win, it's that simple

tomorrow would be a great time to break out of this slump!!!!!!!!!

up 1.5 or down .5

It all comes down to tomorrow

C'MON GAVIN!!!!!!

JUribe1989
09-24-2008, 10:59 PM
We can't ask so much of Gavin all the time. He's been our only pitcher worth a damn most of this season in important games. I'd like to see him pitch great, but the Twins are flying with momentum and we held them in check tonight and still lost.

Floyd would have to do something like 8 IP, 1 ER or something to win tomorrow.

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
if he can only allow 2 or 3 runs I think we got this.

we need runs early and often

DaveFeelsRight
dye better not start tomorrow

kevingrt
Perfect game time. He might need to go 11 to get the W still though.

HawkDJ
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
If Gavin gives up 3 runs we're toast. Where's the C'Mon offense score a ****ing run thread?

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM

who do u want instead?

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:02 PM
who do u want instead?what has he done this series? give swisher a start.

EDIT: what has dye done this month? jack****

DSpivack
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
what has he done this series? give swisher a start.

Yeah, let's start a .220 hitter instead of the guy who's been our 2nd best hitter this season.

Start Swisher in LF, that I'm fine with.

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM

I don't know, Dye is struggling but he has way more power.

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, let's start a .220 hitter instead of the guy who's been our 2nd best hitter this season.

Start Swisher in LF, that I'm fine with.but dye hasnt been preforming this month.

kevingrt
09-24-2008, 11:06 PM
but dye hasnt been preforming this month.

But Swisher hasn't been performing the whole season minus what two games? Good logic there buddy.

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:07 PM
But Swisher hasn't been performing the whole season minus what two games? Good logic there buddy.swisher hasnt started a few games. maybe he has his head straight? whats your excuse for dye not doing anything for this series?

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:08 PM
swingin' at bad pitches

DSpivack
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM
swisher hasnt started a few games. maybe he has his head straight? whats your excuse for dye not doing anything for this series?

Why single Dye out? No hitter has been doing anything this series, save maybe Griffey.

kevingrt
09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
swisher hasnt started a few games. maybe he has his head straight? whats your excuse for dye not doing anything for this series?

I have no excuse. But does Ozzie rely on someone that has not hit all season or rely on someone that has not hit for like 15-20 games (ever since the TCQ injury)?

Real tough decision there.

Bucky F. Dent
09-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Game of the year.

Get it done, Gavin!:praying:

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Why single Dye out? No hitter has been doing anything this series, save maybe Griffey.pierzynski has been getting hits. so has alexei and OC. thome has had a few hits and there. if anything, dye, uribe and konerko hasnt been doing anything

voodoochile
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM

EDIT: what has dye done this month? jack****

You still don't bench a guy like Dye. He's been too productive for too long in a Sox uniform. A crappy month is not a reason to sit Jermaine Dye in the biggest game of the year, period. Anyone who says different has no clue.

Swisher for Wise and put him in the leadoff slot where he can draw some walks.

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I have no excuse. But does Ozzie rely on someone that has not hit all season or rely on someone that has not hit for like 15-20 games (ever since the TCQ injury)?

Real tough decision there.actually since the O's series he hasnt been hitting haha

swishasweet
09-24-2008, 11:14 PM
It's always hard to sweep a team...no matter what the situation is. I don't think Wise should start again tomorrow. Give Swisher a chance. He's had plenty of time to think about his game with all the sitting hes done lately.

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 11:16 PM
You still don't bench a guy like Dye. He's been too productive for too long in a Sox uniform. A crappy month is not a reason to sit Jermaine Dye in the biggest game of the year, period. Anyone who says different has no clue.

Swisher for Wise and put him in the leadoff slot where he can draw some walks.look, i love dye. sure he is productive but he isnt productive this month and thats the point. give him a day off and get it together and give someone like swisher who's been riding the bench and keeping it warm a shot.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 11:16 PM
BigP50:

They only allowed three runs tonight remember?

Lip

kevingrt
09-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Gavin should just listen to David Bowie- Under Pressure all night. Because that is what tomorrow is going to be about.

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
It's always hard to sweep a team...no matter what the situation is.
Agreed, but the Twins' confidence and the Sox's pressure are both unbelievably high. I know we haven't gotten swept since Wrigley, but I'm preparing for the absolute worst for tomorrow.

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM
man if we can win tomorrow there is no doubt in my mind that we will win the division.

if we lose, we have a chance but it will be hard

swishasweet
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
man if we can win tomorrow there is no doubt in my mind that we will win the division.

If we lose tomorrow you would basically have to figure we'd have to win the final 4 games (one against cliff lee). I don't see that happening

Harry Potter
09-24-2008, 11:25 PM

I'm glad you see the glass half-full, but it's past your bedtime kid

BigP50
09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
BigP50:

They only allowed three runs tonight remember?

Lip

yea I know I just don't see this suckage going through each one of the games

munchman33
09-24-2008, 11:27 PM
It might be better for the team's confidence is we simply forfeit tomorrow's game. Then we can concentrate on four straight to earn a one game playoff at home. We take another loss like that where we so obviously look like half the team the Twins are, we might not win another game this season.

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM
It might be better for the team's confidence is we simply forfeit tomorrow's game. Then we can concentrate on four straight to earn a one game playoff at home. We take another loss like that where we so obviously look like half the team the Twins are, we might not win another game this season.
:dtroll:

The Dude
09-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Why do you think that? We have scored a total of 3 runs in the last two games (minus garbage time HR.) ****ing Buehrle got a loss today after only 3 runs. I think 0-1 run or bust the way this god forsaken team has played

PaleHoser
09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
swingin' at bad pitches

I missed Uribe's first at-bat tonight, but I don't think he has seen a pitch the first two games of this series that he hasn't swung at.

SteveFakeBlood
09-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, my computer failed when trying to respond to the "We are in trouble" thread- so I thought I'd start my own imploring you guys to stop acting like crybaby Cubs fans. Because you're not. You're knowledgeable good Sox fans. So ****ing act like it. WE. ARE. STILL. IN. FIRST. PLACE. Wait to give up on the season until we at least move to second. Even then it'd be short-sighted, but this is completely insane.

Cuck the Fubs said it very eloquently on the "We are in trouble" thread:

"What the **** is wrong with you guys?

Still in first place correct? Yes!

Gavin has been in several of these "must win" games this year and has done his job.

We win tomorrow, take 1.5 lead coming home.

**** the Indians, we'll own their asses at home. I fully expected to leave the Twinkie dome taking one of three.

Guess what, I still think they will, the vast majority of you think the SOx should just go home now.

Get a ****ing spine!:angry:"

I'm willing to bet most of you were also giving up and whining and pissing and moaning in September '05 too. I heard so many '69 Cubs comparisons that year and so much crying, when WE NEVER LOST THE LEAD. This is almost as embarrassing as the performance by our offense tonight.

Sure, we sucked- but it's still our division to lose and if we perform with any level of decency tomorrow and this weekend, WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION.

There will be plenty of time to cry and whine and give up hope and say "I told you so" if or when we're mathematically eliminated. Until then, show some damn pride.

~Steve

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Dear Gavin Floyd,

I have to sell my house if you lose tomorrow....

Please give it your all....

Sincerely,

Ian

WhiteSoxOnly
09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately, my computer failed when trying to respond to the "We are in trouble" thread- so I thought I'd start my own imploring you guys to stop acting like crybaby Cubs fans. Because you're not. You're knowledgeable good Sox fans. So ****ing act like it. WE. ARE. STILL. IN. FIRST. PLACE. Wait to give up on the season until we at least move to second. Even then it'd be short-sighted, but this is completely insane.

Cuck the Fubs said it very eloquently on the "We are in trouble" thread:

"What the **** is wrong with you guys?

Still in first place correct? Yes!

Gavin has been in several of these "must win" games this year and has done his job.

We win tomorrow, take 1.5 lead coming home.

**** the Indians, we'll own their asses at home. I fully expected to leave the Twinkie dome taking one of three.

Guess what, I still think they will, the vast majority of you think the SOx should just go home now.

Get a ****ing spine!:angry:"

I'm willing to bet most of you were also giving up and whining and pissing and moaning in September '05 too. I heard so many '69 Cubs comparisons that year and so much crying, when WE NEVER LOST THE LEAD. This is almost as embarrassing as the performance by our offense tonight.

Sure, we sucked- but it's still our division to lose and if we perform with any level of decency tomorrow and this weekend, WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION.

There will be plenty of time to cry and whine and give up hope and say "I told you so" if or when we're mathematically eliminated. Until then, show some damn pride.

~Steve

:bandance: Expect to see many of these tomorrow night.

munchman33
09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
:dtroll:
**** off.

I'm so sick ****ing and tired of being called a troll for stating the obvious. Personal attacks are against the rules.

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
**** off.

I'm so sick ****ing and tired of being called a troll for stating the obvious. Personal attacks are against the rules.
I did not attack you. I just said it's ludicrous to forfeit a game like this. Get a grip.

Dub25
09-25-2008, 12:01 AM

Yeah, ok. I know he has sucked but c'mon.

KingXerxes
09-25-2008, 12:09 AM
They'll win tomorrow, and even if they don't, Minnesota will have a let down against Kansas City after the White Sox series.

Dub25
09-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Why single Dye out? No hitter has been doing anything this series, save maybe Griffey.

Good call, tonight's score:

Griffey, Jr; 2
Twins: 3

Dub25
09-25-2008, 12:12 AM
look, i love dye. sure he is productive but he isnt productive this month and thats the point. give him a day off and get it together and give someone like swisher who's been riding the bench and keeping it warm a shot.

No time for a day off.

Dub25
09-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Dear Gavin Floyd,

I have to sell my house if you lose tomorrow....

Please give it your all....

Sincerely,

Ian

Dear Gavin Floyd,

What this guy said and add to it that my 7 month old will not be able to get more formula to survive.

Sincerely,

Dub25

munchman33
09-25-2008, 12:45 AM
I did not attack you. I just said it's ludicrous to forfeit a game like this. Get a grip.

I didn't say to forfeit. I said the team's confidence would be better off if we forfeited. As in the effects of losing like we've been losing to the Twins would leave us to play worse the following four games.

JB98
09-25-2008, 12:47 AM

Swisher for Wise and put him in the leadoff slot where he can draw some walks.

I agree, put Swisher in. But not at leadoff. Put Cabrera back in the leadoff spot.

SBSoxFan
09-25-2008, 12:49 AM
**** off.

Well, if it writes like a troll ...

Go Gavin!!!!!! :bandance:

Go White Sox offense!!!! :bandance:

Frontman
09-25-2008, 12:54 AM

Mark allowed 3. I'm not holding out for hope that only 2 or 3 runs is enough of a shut down to keep the Twins from winning.

To be so dang close, then to watch it fall apart is frustrating as all hell.

LoveYourSuit
09-25-2008, 12:56 AM
If Gavin wins this game for us tomorrow..... you have to pencil him in as the game 1 starter for ALDS. It would be his turn to pitch anyways.

Sad
09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
If Gavin gives up 3 runs we're toast. Where's the C'Mon offense score a ****ing run thread?

no kidding :angry:

esbrechtel
09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I vote to start Swisher in LF. Personally, I am really sick of all of the Dewayne Wise love. I will admit I ate crow in Detriot when I was angry they pinch hit for BA (he hit a slam) and then when he scored on the Thome Sac-fly. But besides those two plays the guy does not play like a speed guy. Uribe on first no outs, Wise with the perfect opportunity to bunt a guy over for OC (who has been getting base hits like its his job) what does Wise do? Swings for the fence and a weak grounder to the pitcher GIDP....

I want to play a guy who at least looks like he gives a damn...

Law11
09-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, ok. I know he has sucked but c'mon.

Id bench him (Dye) too. He is swinging a tired bat. Put Swisher (how could he do any worse at the plate and he has better legs in the OF) in right and keep jr in CF. Have JD coming off the bench tonight.

oeo
09-25-2008, 08:57 AM
I vote to start Swisher in LF. Personally, I am really sick of all of the Dewayne Wise love. I will admit I ate crow in Detriot when I was angry they pinch hit for BA (he hit a slam) and then when he scored on the Thome Sac-fly. But besides those two plays the guy does not play like a speed guy. Uribe on first no outs, Wise with the perfect opportunity to bunt a guy over for OC (who has been getting base hits like its his job) what does Wise do? Swings for the fence and a weak grounder to the pitcher GIDP....

I want to play a guy who at least looks like he gives a damn...

Haven't people said the same thing about Swisher...that he doesn't look like he gives a damn?

Why do results only determine whether you 'give a damn?' Up until the last couple games, Wise was our hottest hitter; no one questioned his heart, then. Why is it being questioned now? Same thing with Javy. He **** the bed on Tuesday, but that doesn't mean he doesn't 'give a damn.' These guys have worked their asses off for seven months now, and their playoff hopes are on the line...they care more than any of us here. Now, I don't like their demeanor in this series (they really look like they don't want to be in that piece of **** dome), but to say some of them don't care? GMAB.

MCHSoxFan
09-25-2008, 08:59 AM
biggest game of his life.

We score runs and we most likely win, it's that simple

tomorrow would be a great time to break out of this slump!!!!!!!!!

Up 1.5 or down .5

it all comes down to tomorrow

c'mon gavin!!!!!!

yes sir!!!

SoxFan78
09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
What the Sox need is to score early and often. Give Gavin a cushion, and once he has that, he can just shut them down. I'm thinking 2 in the first, 1 in the second, another 2 or 3 in the 4th inning. The Sox need to get the Twins down early and score early and often.

If the Sox get down early, or if its a close game, it won't look good.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON

JungleJimR
09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
If Gavin wins this game for us tomorrow..... you have to pencil him in as the game 1 starter for ALDS. It would be his turn to pitch anyways.

Floyd was the only Sox that stepped up in NY. When he repeats that effort tonight - I suggest we have our MVP.

esbrechtel
09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Up until the last couple games, Wise was our hottest hitter; no one questioned his heart, then.

Dewayne Wise is a poor mans Ray Durham with less power....I do not think results make me question a guys heart...that said last night we are down 1, leadoff man on for Wise, which for a speed guy thats good with the bat he should bunt, whether he gets the sign or not, that is sacrificing for the team. Especially when our hottest hitter OC was on deck and Uribe could score from second on a base hit...what did he do? He swung for the fences and grounded out to the pitcher. Double play, ouch.

Chisox353014
09-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Griffey has driven in all of our runs this series. How pathetic is that?

oeo
09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Dewayne Wise is a poor mans Ray Durham with less power....I do not think results make me question a guys heart...that said last night we are down 1, leadoff man on for Wise, which for a speed guy thats good with the bat he should bunt, whether he gets the sign or not, that is sacrificing for the team. Especially when our hottest hitter OC was on deck and Uribe could score from second on a base hit...what did he do? He swung for the fences and grounded out to the pitcher. Double play, ouch.

A 'speed guy' is supposed to bunt?

You know what I say to bunting: **** it. Especially with this team. Even if we do get the guy over, we still have to get him in (which has been the big issue all year). Wise has been coming up with big hits lately, he should be swinging the bat.

white sox bill
09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
We WILL win tonight....Gavin will pitch good, not great...key will be can our offense pull off a miracle and score more than 3 runs? If we end up wining it all, we will have surpassed the 06 Cards for the most incompetent team in recent memory to hold the trophy. Hell 88 wins may do it, imagine if the Windsock was still tying for the ST

BeviBall!
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
I love how this team consistently puts all of the pressure on the starting pitchers because they can't score. You could see the strain on Buehrle's face in the early innings last night.

Let's hope Slowey starts feeling the pressure as this game is bigger for the Twins than the previous two have been

ChiSoxFan81
09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I have faith in Gavin. I think he'll pitch his guts out. However, the offense needs to score at least 4 runs no matter what Floyd is doing. Simply, the Sox need to beat Minnesota at their own game. Try stealing a couple bases. We need sac bunts. I know, I know, that's not our game and we wait for the home run. When Wise walked to lead off last night, I was hoping he'd take off or Cabrera would bunt him over. I know it's the 1st inning, but we need to get an early run and set the tone and let the Twins know we can play that game too. If it failed, I could deal with it. But at least try. Waiting for the taters is no way to run an offense. We've seen where that offense has gotten us from 2002-2004. Result: Minnesota Central Division Champs. For the love of God, scrape some runs together!!!

Soxman219
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
What the Sox need is to score early and often. Give Gavin a cushion, and once he has that, he can just shut them down. I'm thinking 2 in the first, 1 in the second, another 2 or 3 in the 4th inning. The Sox need to get the Twins down early and score early and often.

If the Sox get down early, or if its a close game, it won't look good.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON

How about 5 in the first, 3 in the second and 6 in the third.:dunno:

white sox bill
09-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Simply, the Sox need to beat Minnesota at their own game. Try stealing a couple bases. We need sac bunts.

I agree completly...but this is like asking the Pope to turn Jewish. Heres Farmer with the call

"Now Uribe takes off for 2nd, OC shows bunt, misses it by a foot, Mauer takes the ball out of his glove to show home plate umpire the stitching. they both agree its still usable and now Mauer throws to 2nd and Juan is out!"

ChiSoxFan81
09-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree completly...but this is like asking the Pope to turn Jewish. Heres Farmer with the call

"Now Uribe takes off for 2nd, OC shows bunt, misses it by a foot, Mauer takes the ball out of his glove to show home plate umpire the stitching. they both agree its still usable and now Mauer throws to 2nd and Juan is out!"

Ha! Yeah, most likely. But dammit, I just want to see them try once. I can deal with it if it doesn't work. But the station-to-station, wait for the long ball approach has me at my wits end. I want to see some BASEBALL, not home run derby. If they go down trying some small ball, I'll survive. Like Hawk says, it takes us 4 hits to score a run in the dump dome. It might take zero if we can get 'em over and get 'em in.

MeteorsSox4367
09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
One of the primary things I want to happen is the Sox actually get a hit with men in scoring position. None of this popout to shortstop crap with RISP.

I know Wise has played well for the Sox, but TWICE last night he had opportunities with men on base and his swing could not have been longer if he were on the 18th tee somewhere.

The Sox' inability to hit with RISP really makes me wish Quentin were healthy.

BeviBall!
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
The Sox' inability to hit with RISP really makes me wish Quentin were healthy.

That's the only reason?

Mohoney
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I didn't say to forfeit. I said the team's confidence would be better off if we forfeited. As in the effects of losing like we've been losing to the Twins would leave us to play worse the following four games.

Oh yeah. Nothing is better for your confidence than quitting before you even try.

:whoflungpoo:

Foulke You
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Wise is a good bench player. I don't question his heart either. Wise is a great guy to have on a winning team to spot start, pinch run, and provide depth. See Gload, Ross. See Ozuna, Pablo. When you play said bench player every day in a pennant race, that player gets exposed for what he is. Nick Swisher needs to play tonight in LF. For better or worse, he is a big part of our future and also an emotional leader on this team.

Blueprint1
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
How about Dye actually does something in this game. The guy has all but disappeared in the last two weeks.

oeo
09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
How about Dye actually does something in this game. The guy has all but disappeared in the last two weeks.

I would have preferred if he disappeared...instead of grounding into a double play at every opportunity. :mad:

If you're going to suck ass, then strike out, pop out...do anything but constantly hitting a weak grounder to the left side.

Foulke You
09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Dye's swing has looked all wonky during this slump of his. He has been fouling a tremendous amount of pitches straight back and looks off balance, especially when he is trying to hit the outside corner pitches. We all know Dye can carry you when he gets hot but I almost wonder if he is putting too much pressure on himself in that 3 hole? Of course, we don't have a lot of options for the 3 spot because Thome and Konerko have cooled off too.:(:

Iwritecode
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Munchman = Rosenbloom? (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/09/sox-should-forf.html)

esbrechtel
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
That article makes me sick....saying a professional baseball team should forfeit makes me sick, If you are going to lose go down swinging don't just lie down on the mat....

Iwritecode
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
That article makes me sick....saying a professional baseball team should forfeit makes me sick, If you are going to lose go down swinging don't just lie down on the mat....

If this team can't win in Minnesota then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. This is the exact same type of thing they'll face against Tampa in the first round...

Foulke You
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
If this team can't win in Minnesota then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. This is the exact same type of thing they'll face against Tampa in the first round...
Quite true, except that Tampa is a superior team to the Twins. However, I don't believe the Sox get psyched out at Tropicana like they do at the Metrodome.

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
This is the exact same type of thing they'll face against Tampa in the first round...

Except Tampa is a way better team than the Twins.

Procol Harum
09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Gotta win tonight or we're toast--I really can't envision a good outcome if we're swept, leave down by half a game, and play the Tribe while the Twins feast on the Royals in the Baggydome.

That said, I will be dancing in the street if we do win tonight--In fact I'd be tempted to label it a Grade B miracle. This team has nearly as many holes as the ones in its bats. I loved a line that I heard Mike De Luca use on the Score this morning--something to the effect that this is a team that gets a guy to third and then hopes someone will hit a homer to drive him in--truer words never spoken. :mad:

Britt Burns
09-25-2008, 12:51 PM
C'mon Gavin...you've been The Man all year. keep it up!

SteveFakeBlood
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Haven't people said the same thing about Swisher...that he doesn't look like he gives a damn?

Why do results only determine whether you 'give a damn?' Up until the last couple games, Wise was our hottest hitter; no one questioned his heart, then. Why is it being questioned now? Same thing with Javy. He **** the bed on Tuesday, but that doesn't mean he doesn't 'give a damn.' These guys have worked their asses off for seven months now, and their playoff hopes are on the line...they care more than any of us here. Now, I don't like their demeanor in this series (they really look like they don't want to be in that piece of **** dome), but to say some of them don't care? GMAB.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm tired of people being so quick to turn on players. Also, I apologize for comparing people to "crybaby Cub fans" earlier, that was crossing a line, I think.

But let's get to the point of what this thread is about.... GAVIN FLOYD.

Look at his starts against the Twins this season:

4/29 @ the Dome (L) 6 IP, 3 ER
5/6 @ the Cell (W) 8 1/3 IP, 0 ER
6/8 @ the Cell (W) 7 IP, 2 ER
7/30 @ the Dome (W) 7 2/3 IP, 1 ER
TOTALS: 3-1, 1.24 ERA

I doubt he'll give up more than 3 runs. It's on our offense. People forget the pendulum sometimes swings back, a streaky offense is unpredictable- they're just likely to score 8 runs tonight as they are to get shut out. Let's hope it's the former.

~Steve

kevingrt
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Gotta win tonight or we're toast--I really can't envision a good outcome if we're swept, leave down by half a game, and play the Tribe while the Twins feast on the Royals in the Baggydome.

That said, I will be dancing in the street if we do win tonight--In fact I'd be tempted to label it a Grade B miracle. This team has nearly as many holes as the ones in its bats. I loved a line that I heard Mike De Luca use on the Score this morning--something to the effect that this is a team that gets a guy to third and then hopes someone will hit a homer to drive him in--truer words never spoken. :mad:

Dancing in the streets? That is all. I will be popping the champagne bottles. Not for clinching the AL Central, because we will have not. But for beating the Twins in a f-ing dome.

ajismyhero
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
We can win this thing. We just need cincer up and hunker down!

munchman33
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Munchman = Rosenbloom? (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/09/sox-should-forf.html)

Steve reads this site, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the idea from me.

Craig Grebeck
09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Steve reads this site, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the idea from me.
It is horrible, this idea.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
It is horrible, this idea.

It's tongue and cheek. There's no way a professional team, in this day and age, could ever forfeit a game.

That said, forfeiting, while a bad idea in general, would give us a better chance at winning the division than playing this game and losing another game to the Twins the way we've been losing them. We're really looking at winning four straight after today and then winning a one game playoff in order to make it. It would be easier without taking another devastating loss tonight.

Iwritecode
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
It's tongue and cheek. There's no way a professional team, in this day and age, could ever forfeit a game.

That said, forfeiting, while a bad idea in general, would give us a better chance at winning the division than playing this game and losing another game to the Twins the way we've been losing them. We're really looking at winning four straight after today and then winning a one game playoff in order to make it. It would be easier without taking another devastating loss tonight.

WINNING tonight would give them the best chance to win. Then they would have to look for a sweep of the Indians at home or 2/3 minimum and hope KC can take 1 in the Dome.

Even the thought of forfeiting a game is a loser's mentality and not what a team with any kind of playoff hopes should even be thinking about.

MeteorsSox4367
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
That's the only reason?

No, there are a ton of reasons why I wish TCQ were healthy and playing. His clutch hitting is one and the fact that it seems like the Sox need a fire lit under their collective asses being another.

ajismyhero
09-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Can someone please explain to me why we are allowing someone to talk about the benefits of forfeiting in a thread entitled "Official, go get 'em Gavin"?? Seriously, NO ONE has agreed with you so far, so save it for the Twinkie board.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
WINNING tonight would give them the best chance to win. Then they would have to look for a sweep of the Indians at home or 2/3 minimum and hope KC can take 1 in the Dome.

Even the thought of forfeiting a game is a loser's mentality and not what a team with any kind of playoff hopes should even be thinking about.

Winning tonight would be ideal. But I guarantee...if we lose tonight, we might win one more game for the rest of the season. Don't discount how demoralized the team is. These last two games have been absolutely brutal. We're playing so incredibly badly, it's embarrassing.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Can someone please explain to me why we are allowing someone to talk about the benefits of forfeiting in a thread entitled "Official, go get 'em Gavin"?? Seriously, NO ONE has agreed with you so far, so save it for the Twinkie board.

Steve Rosenbloom did. So that's one person.

UofCSoxFan

This place has sucked the past week. All the fairweather fans are coming out of the woodwork to say "I told you the Sox weren't good." Whatever.

I espeically love guys you see in some other threads that joined back in 2006 and have less than 300 posts and have 10 posts in that thread condeding the division to the Twins. Bunch of trolls.

oeo
Winning tonight would be ideal. But I guarantee...if we lose tonight, we might win one more game for the rest of the season. Don't discount how demoralized the team is. These last two games have been absolutely brutal. We're playing so incredibly badly, it's embarrassing.

Munchman and his guarantees...

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Steve Rosenbloom did. So that's one person.

I don't think I've agree with anything Steve Rosenbloom has said in the past year, including comments on the Sox, Bears, and Bulls. The guy is a moron that panders to the meatball fan in Chicago.

Carolina Kenny
09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Dear Mr. Gavin Floyd,

Please win this game tonight. I will serve you and bear your children.

Sincerely Yours,

Carolina Kenny

munchman33
09-25-2008, 03:28 PM
This place has sucked the past week. All the fairweather fans are coming out of the woodwork to say "I told you the Sox weren't good." Whatever.

I don't see how acknowledging the reality of a baseball team's talent level has anything to do with what kind of fan you are. That's some flubs fan bull**** reasoning, and it has no place on a board about real baseball, like we have here. Sox fans know better, and we expect better. I'll root for the team to win, but I'm not gonna pretend we're world beaters when we're a pretty average team with deficiencies that have been obvious since before the season that are now being exploited and causing our demise.

MushMouth
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

kevingrt
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Great quote. Hopefully the whole team won't be on Gavin's back tonight and some of them can help him out.

Law11
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't see how acknowledging the reality of a baseball team's talent level has anything to do with what kind of fan you are. That's some flubs fan bull**** reasoning, and it has no place on a board about real baseball, like we have here. Sox fans know better, and we expect better. I'll root for the team to win, but I'm not gonna pretend we're world beaters when we're a pretty average team with deficiencies that have been obvious since before the season that are now being exploited and causing our demise.

Why is it when folks deal in reality you get thrown under a bus around here.
It aint like we want em to lose.

Hell I might even blow off some fireworks after 10 tonight if they win:wink:

BeviBall!
09-25-2008, 03:44 PM
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Guy never played an inning of September baseball in his life.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Why is it when folks deal in reality ...It's your version of reality, also known as an opinion.

ChiSoxFan81
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Light it up!

soxpride724
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a feeling about tonight. Gavin has held the twins in check this year for the most part, just do it on the road buddy.

Adele_H
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Floyd needs to do what Buerhle & Vazquez couldn't:

mow Twinkies down at least first time through the order (first 3 innings), and see if Sox can scratch 2-3 runs off Slowey early to take control of the game and force the Twins to work uphill. Then hopefully they'll start adding (solo HR) here and there, creating a mini-panic in the Twins dugout.

Floyd will need his best curveball and even his show-me change-up. It's doable.

The fewer baserunners the better as Floyd/AJ are very easy to run on, and Floyd doesn't like the stretch all that much in general.

Iwritecode
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Losing tonight would be pretty demoralizing but forfeiting would be equally demoralizing if not moreso IMO.

Something needs to happen to lift this team back up. Winning would do that. The only way to win is to play the game.

Heffalump
09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Whatever happens tonight (I think Gavin will shut 'em down BTW). This isn't over if we lose this game. The Sox will pull it out and hang on to the division in the end. Hang tough guys!

To all the spazzes like Munchman - why do you even watch the games and call yourself a Sox fan if you are just going to constantly be negative about them? I just don't get it. This team is not the '27 Yankees, but then again, ALL of the so-called experts picked them to be crap this year and they have fought hard all year long to stay in it. Why not hang with them till the end - either way?

GO SOX

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM

If you actually acknowledged this team's actual talent level I wouldn't have a problem.

You are talking about forfeiting this game instead of actually playing it? You think the Twins are a more talented team?

Yes this Sox team isn't the best team in baseball this year. Yes this team isn't even as good as the 2006 team that didn't make the playoffs. Still, this team only needs to win its next 4 games to guarantee a playoff spot. The Seattle Mariners have the ability to win 4 in a row. This is baseball. Any team can win on any given night. Usually 4 or 5 at-bats determine the outcome. Usually 1 or 2 pitches can swing an at-bat. That leaves a lot of room for volitility in terms of wins and losses. Hell, the best teams in baseball loose 40% of their games. This isn't the NFL or college basketball.

You've been pissing your pants the past 2 months. I agree there is major cause for concern, but this defeatest crap is for losers, not "realists" as you call yourself.

I don't know how long you've been a Sox fan. I've been one for about 18 years since moving to Chicago. I've admittedly had it better than a lot of older guys, but at the same time, I've been through many many down years. I realize that not every year will be like 2005 and you need to enjoy playing meaningful games the last week in September instead of cowering under impeding doom at any sign of failure or adversity.

thedudeabides
09-25-2008, 04:20 PM

This is officially the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site. And that is saying a lot.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 04:21 PM
If you actually acknowledged this team's actual talent level I wouldn't have a problem.

You are talking about forfeiting this game instead of actually playing it? You think the Twins are a more talented team?

Yes this Sox team isn't the best team in baseball this year. Yes this team isn't even as good as the 2006 team that didn't make the playoffs. Still, this team only needs to win its next 4 games to guarantee a playoff spot. The Seattle Mariners have the ability to win 4 in a row. This is baseball. Any team can win on any given night. Usually 4 or 5 at-bats determine the outcome. Usually 1 or 2 pitches can swing an at-bat. That leaves a lot of room for volitility in terms of wins and losses. Hell, the best teams in baseball loose 40% of their games. This isn't the NFL or college basketball.

You've been pissing your pants the past 2 months. I agree there is major cause for concern, but this defeatest crap is for losers, not "realists" as you call yourself.

I don't know how long you've been a Sox fan. I've been one for about 18 years since moving to Chicago. I've admittedly had it better than a lot of older guys, but at the same time, I've been through many many down years. I realize that not every year will be like 2005 and you need to enjoy playing meaningful games the last week in September instead of cowering under impeding doom at any sign of failure or adversity.

You expect us to win three games against the tribe, and beat Cliff Lee to boot? We barely got away with one win the last time we faced them. They've been playing great baseball the last month.

It isn't realistic to EXPECT to sweep that series. It might not even be realistic to expect to win two games. There's a huge difference between "possible" and "realistic." Sweeping that series is anything but likely.

I think most agree that we need Gavin to pitch nearly perfect tonight to stay in this thing. And even then, we have to score runs.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 04:23 PM

I'll bring the beer!

CHISOXFAN13
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
You expect us to win three games against the tribe, and beat Cliff Lee to boot? We barely got away with one win the last time we faced them. They've been playing great baseball the last month.

It isn't realistic to EXPECT to sweep that series. It might not even be realistic to expect to win two games. There's a huge difference between "possible" and "realistic." Sweeping that series is anything but likely.

I think most agree that we need Gavin to pitch nearly perfect tonight to stay in this thing. And even then, we have to score runs.

How many games have the Indians won here? Cliff Lee pitched in at least one of them. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Oh and the ****ing Royals beat the Twins in the Metrodump two weeks ago, too. Can't wait for your next response.

Don't you think it's a problem when NOBODY agrees with a damn thing you say?

BRDSR
09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Why do you think that? We have scored a total of 3 runs in the last two games (minus garbage time HR.) ****ing Buehrle got a loss today after only 3 runs. I think 0-1 run or bust the way this god forsaken team has played

Alright, so now we're applying the Crede rule to everybody. How many RBIs does Ramirez have this year? I don't think 43 is going to be enough for ROY.

cws05champ
09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I think people realize they are a flawed team but will root for them regardless. Your "idea" of forfeiting would be better for the team psyche over playing and losing is rediculous. Have you ever played any sport at any level?
I don't give a damn who you are playing or how many times you've been beaten by that team. When it is time to play you go out there and do your dam best to win. If you don't step on the field because you think you can't win, you have lost more than just the game. You have lost your competetive spirit and your will to win. To forfeit is a losers mentality that will propogate throughout the organization and last more than this one game.
Good lesson for the youngsters out there....you can't win, so don't try.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 04:32 PM
How many games have the Indians won here? Cliff Lee pitched in at least one of them. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Oh and the ****ing Royals beat the Twins in the Metrodump two weeks ago, too. Can't wait for your next response.

Plenty of people agree with me. Most people have been bullied out of it because of the Kool-Aid type mentality that's been here since we won in 2005.

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 04:33 PM

At home? I expect to win 2 of 3 and think we'll win all 3. We beat Cleveland already this year with Lee on the mound. The Indians have won exatcly 0 games at the Cell this year.

Seriously. 2 months ago when the lead dropped to about 2 games you said there was cause for concern. Now that there actually is cause for concern, you're saying we might as well abandon all hope for the year.

It must suck going through life with the attitdude "just give up when things look difficult, be scared to death when victory isn't gauaranteed."

Admitting your team is probably going to lose is one thing when your team is a 70 win team. Predicting defeat against teams that can beat you but are vastly less talented is completey different.

Seriously, if you don't want adversity, the Angels and Cubs look like they'll have pretty easy roads to the playoffs the next few years and I'm sure they'll have plenty of room on their bandwagons.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I think people realize they are a flawed team but will root for them regardless. Your "idea" of forfeiting would be better for the team psyche over playing and losing is rediculous. Have you ever played any sport at any level?
I don't give a damn who you are playing or how many times you've been beaten by that team. When it is time to play you go out there and do your dam best to win. If you don't step on the field because you think you can't win, you have lost more than just the game. You have lost your competetive spirit and your will to win. To forfeit is a losers mentality that will propogate throughout the organization and last more than this one game.
Good lesson for the youngsters out there....you can't win, so don't try.

Maybe I'm biased because I don't want to watch them lose that way again tonight.

People here don't realize how flawed the team is. Anytime you speak poorly about a player's abilities, five hundred posters come to his defense.

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Maybe I'm biased because I don't want to watch them lose that way again tonight.

People here don't realize how flawed the team is. Anytime you speak poorly about a player's abilities, five hundred posters come to his defense.

Everyone on here knows this team has flaws. Do you not think the Twins, or, ****, the Indians have flaws?

If you are out of Huggies, then don't watch the game. I'm sure the Sox won't notice that you aren't tuning in. They'd play these games in front of an empty audience if they had to.

cws05champ
09-25-2008, 04:37 PM

Then say that...I know it would be better for my Psyche if I didn't have to watch them lose again tonight. That is not the same as a team psyche and confidence level that actually has to play and compete..

thedudeabides
09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Plenty of people agree with me. Most people have been bullied out of it because of the Kool-Aid type mentality that's been here since we won in 2005.

You really think highly of yourself, don't you?

Make an argument with facts and one that is realistic and people won't jump all over you. State the team is better off forfeiting a game and expect people to call you out.

Or just keep on thinking everyone is on your side, but they're afraid of the man behind the curtain. :kukoo:

I was hoping to come in here to join a discusion about tonights game. Instead, there is a discussion about whether to not to forfeit tonights game?

If you don't want to read the 'kool-aid' drinkers rooting for their team, go read one of the 50 dark cloud threads out there. Or is it your goal to shed darkness on anything positive?

Law11
09-25-2008, 04:52 PM

I agree with what he's saying. the whole forfeit thing was said in jest but the sweeping Cleve thing is not realistic. The people who think its a done deal that we'd handle cleve are the same ones that were making clinch predictions last week and how we'd sweep KC. When lately have we shown anything that resembles a team that will just turn it on and sweep the Tribe. Once again its not that it WONT happen but its not realistic to think that it will. Hell if they do.. Friggin FANTASTIC!! Either way a loss tonight and we will need help from KC.

Anybody can beat anybody at anytime.. Look at Detroit today vs tampa. 4 lightweights hitting Hrs off one of Tampa's aces..
To say we'd unequivocally sweep Cleveland is ridiculous.
All it takes a bad inning to kill that noise.

Just win tonight and right this ship for this weekend where a sweep isnt needed!

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Then say that...I know it would be better for my Psyche if I didn't have to watch them lose again tonight. That is not the same as a team psyche and confidence level that actually has to play and compete..

No kidding.

Thinking this team is going to win or at the very least has a chance to win is not drinking kool-aid.

The very frustrating thing about this team is they can lose to anyone and look like crap and beat anyone and look like sure fire champions because they rely strictly on the home run. It's not how you'd ideally build a team, but through injuries and guys like Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens not being able to hit, this is the team we have. The thing is, we could get swept in the first round of the playoffs, but we also very well could get hot as a team for 15 games and win the whole damn thing. The key is getting in the tournament.

Just becasue this team has played bad the past month of the year, doesn't mean they can't put a month of good baseball together. Hell, you put the Nationals in a 5 game series, a 7 game series, and another 7 game series, and they'll when all 3 at least 1 out of 20 times. That's just the nature of the game. And some people wouldn't even want to attempt to hit that 1 out of 20 time. And we're an even better team than that.

Hell, Vegas odds still have the Sox ant 13:1 to win the World Series. I'd take a 1 in 14 shot any year, and some of you don't want to try b/c of those 13 times we'd fail. Lame.

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree with what he's saying. the whole forfeit thing was said in jest but the sweeping Cleve thing is not realistic. The people who think its a done deal that we'd handle cleve are the same ones that were making clinch predictions last week and how we'd sweep KC. When lately have we shown anything that resembles a team that will just turn it on and sweep the Tribe. Once again its not that it WONT happen but its not realistic to think that it will. Hell if they do.. Friggin FANTASTIC!! Either way a loss tonight and we will need help from KC.

Anybody can beat anybody at anytime.. Look at Detroit today vs tampa. 4 lightweights hitting Hrs off one of Tampa's aces..

Just win tonight and right this ship for this weekend where a sweep isnt needed!

If you don't think the Indians can be swept, the very same thing can be said for the Royals, who I believe are 16 and 7 over their past 23 games.

You people are talking out of both sides of your mouths. One one hand it's impossible to sweep a descent team at home (I agree it's difficult), yet the many think Twins are going to sweep us tonight, no questions asked. A team playing with nothing a lot of young players with nothing to lose can be very dangerous, as long as that team is the Indians. The same standard doesn't apply to the Twins, apparently.

My problem doesn't lie in people seeing flaws in the Sox or seeing reasons the Sox won't make the playoffs. My problem is these same "fans" refuse to acknowledge the same flaws and same barriers to the postseason that other teams face.

To make the playoffs, the Sox don't need to be the best team in baseball. They don't even have to be the eighth best team in baseball. They just have to be better than the 4 other teams in their division. To say that isn't POSSIBLE if we lose this game, even though we would STILL control our own destiny, is insane.

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Another thing, given how hard it is to sweep teams, do people seriously see the Twins wining 7, or possibly 8 in a row (if a playoff is needed) to close out the season?

I sure as hell don't. That's what they'd have to do for us to have to not be able to survive a loss to Cleveland, even if we lose today.

BigP50
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
here's the thing with the game

Gavin will most likely be good but can the O step it up

Law11
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Another thing, given how hard it is to sweep teams, do people seriously see the Twins wining 7, or possibly 8 in a row (if a playoff is needed) to close out the season?

I sure as hell don't. That's what they'd have to do for us to have to not be able to survive a loss to Cleveland, even if we lose today.

I agree with you all teams have flaws but lately we dont exploit those flaws at our end on our opponents with any regularity.

Can KC get a game in Minn of course they can but here we go again relying on help when we had this in OUR hands to take care of.

A win tonight squashes ALL THIS garbage.

SteveFakeBlood
09-25-2008, 05:16 PM

Let's clarify things here. That statement qualifies as realistic and reasonable. Kudos to you, Law11.

Munchman suggesting we forfeit a game and saying everyone who disagrees with him (on a positive-minded thread, no less) that the season's over (while we're still in 1st place) is an idiot with a "Kool-aid mentality*" isn't realistic or reasonable.

Thinking we're going to sweep the Indians isn't realistic, either- but neither was Carlos Quentin hitting 36 homers this year, Alexei competing for Rookie of The Year, Gavin Floyd winning 15+ games, etc. So let's just root for the Sox to win every game and give up when we're mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs or eliminated from the playoffs. Because until then, pretty much anything can happen.

~Steve

* Also comparing the concept of fans believing a team can win a division with a 1/2 game lead and at least 4 games (possibly 5 or 6) left to flub fans believing their team will win the World Series every season is comical and embarrassing.

UofCSoxFan
09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree with you all teams have flaws but lately we dont exploit those flaws at our end on our opponents with any regularity.

Can KC get a game in Minn of course they can but here we go again relying on help when we had this in OUR hands to take care of.

A win tonight squashes ALL THIS garbage.

You do realize that we still don't need help if we lose tonight. We likely will need help, but we still control our own destiny.

I agree winning puts us in a lot better place, but this is still VERY far from decided if we lose today.

munchman33
09-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Let's clarify things here. That statement qualifies as realistic and reasonable. Kudos to you, Law11.

Munchman suggesting we forfeit a game and saying everyone who disagrees with him (on a positive-minded thread, no less) that the season's over (while we're still in 1st place) is an idiot with a "Kool-aid mentality*" isn't realistic or reasonable.

Thinking we're going to sweep the Indians isn't realistic, either- but neither was Carlos Quentin hitting 36 homers this year, Alexei competing for Rookie of The Year, Gavin Floyd winning 15+ games, etc. So let's just root for the Sox to win every game and give up when we're mathematically eliminated from making the playoffs or eliminated from the playoffs. Because until then, pretty much anything can happen.

~Steve

* Also comparing the concept of fans believing a team can win a division with a 1/2 game lead and at least 4 games (possibly 5 or 6) left to flub fans believing their team will win the World Series every season is comical and embarrassing.

http://www.answers.com/topic/tongue-in-cheek

Oh, and before the season I said Carlos would hit over 40 if he played everyday.

Malgar 12
09-25-2008, 07:54 PM

It's busy popping out weakly to foul territory.