PDA

View Full Version : Will the Yankees finish w/ better record than ALC winner?

Optipessimism
09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Right now the Yankees are only 0.5 game back from the Sox record-wise, even though they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

What are the chances the Yankees finish with a better record than the AL Central winner? They have 5 games left vs. Boston and Toronto, all on the road, while the Sox and Twins play each other, the Indians, and the Royals. I really hope this doesn't happen because it would be very embarrasing to make the playoffs knowing a team with a better record stayed home, and even moreso considering the difference in level of competition for each team down the stretch.

It's Dankerific
09-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Its why I've been cringing everytime i read that the yankees "suck" this year.

jdm2662
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Right now the Yankees are only 0.5 game back from the Sox record-wise, even though they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

What are the chances the Yankees finish with a better record than the AL Central winner? They have 5 games left vs. Boston and Toronto, all on the road, while the Sox and Twins play each other, the Indians, and the Royals. I really hope this doesn't happen because it would be very embarrasing to make the playoffs knowing a team with a better record stayed home, and even moreso considering the difference in level of competition for each team down the stretch.

Did Boston fans in 1990 feel embarrassed when they made the playoffs despise the Sox finishing the season SIX games ahead of them? Did Philly fans in 1993 were ashamed they went to the playoffs over a 103-win Giants team?

I think not.

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
The Cardinals and the loser of the AL East and perhaps the Marlins too this year will finish ahead of the Dodgers.

I guess it doesn't mean a thing.

I'm sure the '06 Cardinals pissed a ton of people for this also.

Madvora
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Comparing records doesn't work when you don't play the exact same schedule.

munchman33
09-24-2008, 07:14 PM

I'm sure the Yankees would also rather have our schedule.

sox1970
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM

So that includes the White Sox and Twins?

TommyJohn
09-24-2008, 07:43 PM

The 2006 White Sox placed 3rd at 90-72. The World Series winner was the Cardinals at 83-78. I have no sympathy, nor will I feel embarrassed.

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm sure the Yankees would also rather have our schedule.

agreed.

The AL Central very bad this year IMO.

The AL East this year might go down as the best division in baseball history (since the 3 division format).