PDA

View Full Version : Minaya to get 4-year extension

palehozenychicty
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
linkee (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09242008/sports/mets/source__4_more_years_for_minaya_130464.htm)

Why is beyond me, as he is one of the worst GMs in the game. I don't care that they signed Johan. He gave Castillo a 4-year deal after his numbers declined across the board over the last three years! :o:
I don't have to mention Heath Bell and others. I know that the Wilpons don't run their ship well, but this is unreal.

WhiteSox5187
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
linkee (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09242008/sports/mets/source__4_more_years_for_minaya_130464.htm)

Why is beyond me, as he is one of the worst GMs in the game. I don't care that they signed Johan. He gave Castillo a 4-year deal after his numbers declined across the board over the last three years! :o:
I don't have to mention Heath Bell and others. I know that the Wilpons don't run their ship well, but this is unreal.
Wasn't Heath Bell a Steve Phillips guy?

chisoxjtrain
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I have absolutley no respect for him after the manner in which he fired Willie Randolph.

palehozenychicty
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Wasn't Heath Bell a Steve Phillips guy?

Nope. Minaya gave him up at the beginning of 2006 with Royce Ring for Jon Adkins! :o:, and Ben Johnson.

palehozenychicty
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I have absolutley no respect for him after the manner in which he fired Willie Randolph.

It was definitely ugly. But don't be fooled, as the Wilpons, namely Jeff, wanted Willie out and pressured Minaya to make a move. Like many things, he handled it terribly. The team has played better under Manuel, but Minaya's desecration of the pen with ridiculous deals for aging players has left the team a dead one walking. If they get in, I don't see how they win two games with that pen.

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
This deal is ridiculous. His team pulled off the biggest chokejob in history last season and could do it again this season. I can't see the Mets being a perrenial threat anytime soon.

veeter
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm sick of GM's, given blank checks to buy whomever they want, being lauded. Minaya, Hendry and Dombrowski come to mind. They're all overrated.

asindc
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sick of GM's, given blank checks to buy whomever they want, being lauded. Minaya, Hendry and Dombrowski come to mind. They're all overrated.

That's why I generally defend KW's efforts. He has shown true skill in working within a set budget. Any half-wit can outbid for multiple players, like Cashman is able to. You want to impress me, build a better team with less money.

WhiteSox5187
09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Dombrowski doesn't belong in that group, the only time he bought whomever he wanted was in '97 with Florida and then the subsequent dismantling of that team got them the players to help in '03. Dombrowski has done pretty well everywhere he's gone. Minaya and Hendry, not so much.

Optipessimism
09-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Dombrowski doesn't belong in that group, the only time he bought whomever he wanted was in '97 with Florida and then the subsequent dismantling of that team got them the players to help in '03. Dombrowski has done pretty well everywhere he's gone. Minaya and Hendry, not so much.
True.

The Tigers have their own Kenny Williams-like roundhouse kick acquisitions. They picked up Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago, dealt soon-to-be-incarcerated Ugie Urbina to the Phils for Placido Polanco, picked Armando Galarraga off the scrap heap for basically nothing, etc.

The Willis extension and the Renteria trade where they gave up Jurrjens are the only really bad moves they've made that I can think of.

WhiteSox5187
09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
True.

The Tigers have their own Kenny Williams-like roundhouse kick acquisitions. They picked up Carlos Guillen for Ramon Santiago, dealt soon-to-be-incarcerated Ugie Urbina to the Phils for Placido Polanco, picked Armando Galarraga off the scrap heap for basically nothing, etc.

The Willis extension and the Renteria trade where they gave up Jurrjens are the only really bad moves they've made that I can think of.
Agreed, the Renteria trade though is kinda like Kenny's Todd Richie trade, it made sense at the time (plus Renteria has a very good history with both Dombrowski and Leyland) but it just hasn't worked out. I still don't understand why he'd give Willis the extension.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Agreed, the Renteria trade though is kinda like Kenny's Todd Richie trade, it made sense at the time (plus Renteria has a very good history with both Dombrowski and Leyland) but it just hasn't worked out. I still don't understand why he'd give Willis or Cabrera the extensions.

Cabrera's numbers look good at season's end, but he hasn't been a feared hitter in their lineup. Then again, when your pitching staffs are so bad, nobody's worried about stopping you. You've stopped yourself. Willis, well, I guess he had too much Jamesons that night.

chaerulez
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
That's why I generally defend KW's efforts. He has shown true skill in working within a set budget. Any half-wit can outbid for multiple players, like Cashman is able to. You want to impress me, build a better team with less money.

Cashman's philosophy wasn't to try and out spend for aging veterans that was Steinbrenner's call. The Yankees farm system, which built those title teams in the 90's was up until just the past couple years a joke, and Cashman is responsible for building it back up. Cashman knows what he's doing, but he's been tied at the hands since 2001 because Steinbrenner started to take more control.

champagne030
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Dombrowski was being lauded when he really didn't have $.50 to spend.

jdm2662
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Cashman's philosophy wasn't to try and out spend for aging veterans that was Steinbrenner's call. The Yankees farm system, which built those title teams in the 90's was up until just the past couple years a joke, and Cashman is responsible for building it back up. Cashman knows what he's doing, but he's been tied at the hands since 2001 because Steinbrenner started to take more control.

It's no concidence he built the farm system up with the core players when Steinbrenner was suspended by the league in the late 80s/early 90s. Those teams also had solid role players like Scott Brosius. It wasn't like those teams bought every super star out there. Sure, you can still field a competive team with that approach, but it doesn't necessarily win you championships. The Yankees haven't won a World Series since 2000 for a reason.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
It's no concidence he built the farm system up with the core players when Steinbrenner was suspended by the league in the late 80s/early 90s. Those teams also had solid role players like Scott Brosius. It wasn't like those teams bought every super star out there. Sure, you can still field a competive team with that approach, but it doesn't necessarily win you championships. The Yankees haven't won a World Series since 2000 for a reason.

It was actually Bob Watson and Stick Michael that started the nucleus of Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, and Posada, but Cashman did make excellent signings and deals later on for El Duque, Cone, Brosius, David Wells, and Alex Rodriguez. He's made a lot of bad deals too.

I think he's a lot like Kenny in that he makes good shrewd moves, but he's missed several times in FA. Then again, the Yankees can afford to make mistakes up to a certain point. It finally caught up to them.

asindc
09-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Oh, I agree that Cashman is a good GM. I just use him as an example because it is the most glaring. And I agree that philosophy came from The Boss himself, not so much Cashman.