PDA

View Full Version : If the Wild Card didn't exist....

Fenway
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Boston clinching the Wild Card last night prompted me to take a hard look at how Boston has benefited from the change to 3 divisions in 1994.

If we still had the 2 division, no wild card format in place Boston would have last made the playoffs in 1990 when they beat Chicago in the last game of the season.

In 1995 when they won the East Cleveland would have won the old AL East easily and last year they would have had to play Cleveland in a one game playoff.

Obviously the Wild Card and 3 division setup has changed everything. Champions like the Marlins (twice), Anaheim, Red Sox (2004), St Louis, Yankees (2000) would not have happened under the old format.

Today the Mets, Brewers and Philadelphia are still alive thanks to the new format.

My question... Is baseball better off today than before 1994?

soltrain21
09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
They acted like a bunch of knobs out there.

sox1970
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
It's not a perfect system, but baseball is way better off having eight teams in the playoffs.

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
:borass::tool
Ye$$$$$$$

voodoochile
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I like the excitement the WC brings to the game. It's certainly added a ton of money to the sport and thus it isn't going anywhere.

I have no problem with the current system. I wouldn't want to add more teams to the playoffs though. I can eventually see them adding two more teams and going to 8 divisions of 4 teams with winner take all in each division. Hopefully KC stays in the central and Cleveland goes east when that happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Sox-twinkies-toons-kittens together. It's proven to be a good rivalry generator through the years.

Fenway
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
They acted like a bunch of knobs out there.

Yeah it was a little over the top but the players wanted some fun with the home fans. Making the playoffs in MLB is still harder than any other sport.

asindc
09-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah it was a little over the top but the players wanted some fun with the home fans. Making the playoffs in MLB is still harder than any other sport.

I agree with this. I don't recall seeing champagne celebrations in football and basketball locker rooms for just making the playoffs. How any team wants to celebrate for doing so doesn't bother me, as long as I don't see another team besides the Sox celebrate at Comiskey.

soxfanatlanta
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Six billion in revenue last year.

'Nuff said.

TDog
09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I like the excitement the WC brings to the game. It's certainly added a ton of money to the sport and thus it isn't going anywhere.

I have no problem with the current system. I wouldn't want to add more teams to the playoffs though. I can eventually see them adding two more teams and going to 8 divisions of 4 teams with winner take all in each division. Hopefully KC stays in the central and Cleveland goes east when that happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Sox-twinkies-toons-kittens together. It's proven to be a good rivalry generator through the years.

I haven't thought a lot about it, but I could see a Great Lakes division, with the White Sox, Indians, Tigers and Twins. The Tigers and Twins aren't in Great Lakes cities, but they are in Great Lakes states. The National League would have to have the Cubs, Cardinalss and Brewers together at least, and the Yankees and Red Sox would have to stay together. The Giants, Dodgers and Padres and the A's and Angels would have to stay together. The Mariners might as well be in Ketchikan and Juneau, Alaska (and they do market themselves as the home team in those cities), for all the natural rivalries they have. But re-allignment doesn't always make sense. The Tigers and Blue Jays were broken up as were the Phillies and Pirates.

I'm not sure I would like any of that. I can accept baseball the way it is, but I don't particularly like the idea of a second-place team making the postseason, no matter how good they may be.

Oblong
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM

I agree with this. I think the way it is now is about as perfect as you can expect considering the goals of the league. Obviously they want to make money off the playoffs. We're never going back to 2 leagues and just 1 WS. Yes that may be the purest way but it just won't happen. The only change I'd support is 4 divisions and no wild card. But right now I like the wild card because I've seen too many teams have great years but be left out because the team ahead of them in the division just happened to be greater while some othe team gets in with 87 wins. Baseball's a marathon and if you have a great season, (95+ wins), then you should get in.

rocky biddle
09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Remember when the Giants ruined the "perfect season" in the Super Bowl last year?

That was awesome.

/**** Boston

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Six billion in revenue last year.

'Nuff said.

694 short of a Wall Street bailout! :o:

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Remember when the Giants ruined the "perfect season" in the Super Bowl last year?

That was awesome.
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/c/chris_farley/thumbnails/tn2_chris_farley_2.jpg

Sox4ever77
09-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Boston clinching the Wild Card last night prompted me to take a hard look at how Boston has benefited from the change to 3 divisions in 1994.

If we still had the 2 division, no wild card format in place Boston would have last made the playoffs in 1990 when they beat Chicago in the last game of the season.

In 1995 when they won the East Cleveland would have won the old AL East easily and last year they would have had to play Cleveland in a one game playoff.

Obviously the Wild Card and 3 division setup has changed everything. Champions like the Marlins (twice), Anaheim, Red Sox (2004), St Louis, Yankees (2000) would not have happened under the old format.

Today the Mets, Brewers and Philadelphia are still alive thanks to the new format.

Yankees won the AL East in 2000. The can't control the fact that the WC team, the Mets, won the NL.

captainclutch24
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Indians would have won the east in 2000 had it not been for realignment.

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
694 short of a Wall Street bailout! :o:

Nobody's perfect, especially Bud. :tongue:

eastchicagosoxfan
09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't like it. 162 games in four divisions should determine the final four. Add teams to get to eight divisions to increase the playoff pool. It's not going away; I realize that.

Adele_H
09-26-2008, 03:31 AM
...baseball wouldn't be quite as entertaining & competitive.