PDA

View Full Version : Could the Twins compete for first place in 2009....

NLaloosh
09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
with this lineup?

Uribe 3b
Getz 2b
Ramirez SS
Anderson CF
Wise RF
Owens LF
Brandon Allen 1B
Paul Phillips C
Brad Eidred DH

Could they teach these guys how to play baseball in one season? Would Owens bat .300 and steal 80 ? Would Anderson become a star in 2-3 years? Anybody think the Twins could compete with these players?

Mr.1Dog
09-24-2008, 11:20 AM
:o::scratch:

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Is AJ suffering from a chronic illness?
Is Dye going to tear his ACL in Spring Training?
Eldred?

The answer is no. The Twins won't compete with this lineup for first place, they will walk all over this lineup to finish ahead of the Sox.

However, the good news is that this lineup will not exist next year.

SaltyPretzel
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
:threadsucks

35th and Shields
09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Is AJ suffering from a chronic illness?
Is Dye going to tear his ACL in Spring Training?
Eldred?

The answer is no. The Twins won't compete with this lineup for first place, they will walk all over this lineup to finish ahead of the Sox.

However, the good news is that this lineup will not exist next year.

I think he was asking whether the Twins, not Sox, would compete for the division if that was their lineup.

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I think he was asking whether the Twins, not Sox, would compete for the division if that was their lineup.
I considered that possibility. This makes even less sense.

The Twins do not train guys in one year how to play. It is a system they integrate into the player's heads when they are drafted all the way through being called up.

chaerulez
09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
You do understand the Twins have the AL leader in batting average and a pretty good power hitter who leads the AL in RBIs. Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez aren't scrappy nobodies either, both were highly touted prospects they acquired, Young a former first overall pick. So yes they for every Punto in their lineup they have a guy who is expected to be really good. Not to mention the Twins have an above average starting rotation. The notion that the Twins just take a bunch of scraps who hit .250 and 10 HRs is a myth. Yes, all their players do all the little things right, but without Mauer and Moreanu they wouldn't be where they are right now.

Craig Grebeck
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
You do understand the Twins have the AL leader in batting average and a pretty good power hitter who leads the AL in RBIs. Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez aren't scrappy nobodies either, both were highly touted prospects they acquired, Young a former first overall pick. So yes they for every Punto in their lineup they have a guy who is expected to be really good. Not to mention the Twins have an above average starting rotation. The notion that the Twins just take a bunch of scraps who hit .250 and 10 HRs is a myth. Yes, all their players do all the little things right, but without Mauer and Moreanu they wouldn't be where they are right now.
Mauer and Morneau are great, but pretty much everyone (sans Kubel, a fluky Span and a barely average Young) else sucks.

I'm not buying the Carlos Gomez love. He is terrible.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
That's possibly the worst lineup in the history of baseball.

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
:hawk
Young man, this is why I, and not you, work in baseball. You need an eye for special talent.

wxkid23
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Mauer and Morneau are great, but pretty much everyone (sans Kubel, a fluky Span and a barely average Young) else sucks.

Morneau and Mauer carry that team. Without those two I believe the Twins would be one of the worst teams in the AL. The dome IMO adds a few W every year too.

oeo
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Then we can bring Andy Gonzalez and Darin Erstad back for the bench.

:moonwalk:

Craig Grebeck
09-24-2008, 12:38 PM
:hawk
Young man, this is why I, and not you, work in baseball. You need an eye for special talent.
This is sarcasm, right?

Please let this be sarcasm.

EndemicSox
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Gomez isn't much of a hitter, in fact, he is close to piss-poor, but his wheels in CF are necessary in that building. Uribe would be excellent on that surface as well.

Whatever the case, I hope they suffer when their team isn't built for natural grass, but I'm sure it will not take them long to fix the problems.

NLaloosh
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I've never seen a franchise before that can take a bunch of low draft picks and unheralded prospects and turn them into a bunch of big winners at the major league level on a regular basis.

Nick Punto is their SS ? What the heck is a Buscher ? Last night they looked like a bunch of kids on a playground playing keep away from a group of seniors from the home.

White Sox 221 homeruns/Minnesota 108 = more runs for Minnesota ? Do the White Sox not know how to play baseball? 3 years after winnning the World Series?

Rocky Soprano
09-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I've never seen a franchise before that can take a bunch of low draft picks and unheralded prospects and turn them into a bunch of big winners at the major league level on a regular basis.

Nick Punto is their SS ? What the heck is a Buscher ? Last night they looked like a bunch of kids on a playground playing keep away from a group of seniors from the home.

White Sox 221 homeruns/Minnesota 108 = more runs for Minnesota ? Do the White Sox not know how to play baseball? 3 years after winnning the World Series?

Your what hurts?

russ99
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
with this lineup?

Uribe 3b
Getz 2b
Ramirez SS
Anderson CF
Wise RF
Owens LF
Brandon Allen 1B
Paul Phillips C
Brad Eidred DH

Could they teach these guys how to play baseball in one season? Would Owens bat .300 and steal 80 ? Would Anderson become a star in 2-3 years? Anybody think the Twins could compete with these players?

If more than 2 of these guys are on the club next year, I'll be totally shocked.

I'll leave to the rest of you to debate as to which two...

thedudeabides
09-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Yet, astonishingly the Sox are ahead of them. :shocked:

Inexplicable with those low round draft picks of Mauer(1st overall), Delmon Young(1st overall), Cuddyer(9th overall), Denard Span(20th overall), Bonser(21st overall), Perkins(22nd overall), Baker(58th overall), Kevin Slowey(73rd overall), Morneau(89th overall), Buscher(93rd overall). To name a few. Those guys came out of nowhere!!!!!

And nobody ever heard Gomez and Liriano, who weren't available in the draft.

But this is the same as taking all of the bench players and borderline major leaguers from the Sox system and turning them into a winner. This is a solid argument.

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
This is sarcasm, right?

Please let this be sarcasm.
The opinions of Hawk are not necessarily the opinions of other people who live in the free world.

Haven't you noticed Hawk's total man-crush on Gomez? I did not look to see if you live in the Chicago area, so maybe you're spared Hawk talking about Gomez like he is the son Hawk wished he had.....

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Inexplicable with those low round draft picks of Mauer(1st overall), Delmon Young(1st overall), Cuddyer(9th overall), Denard Span(20th overall), Bonser(21st overall), Perkins(22nd overall), Baker(58th overall), Kevin Slowey(73rd overall), Morneau(89th overall), Buscher(93rd overall). To name a few. Those guys came out of nowhere!!!!!

And nobody ever heard Gomez and Liriano, who weren't available in the draft.

But this is the same as taking all of the bench players and borderline major leaguers from the Sox system and turning them into a winner. This is a solid argument.
Bonser and Liriano (and Joe Nathan) came up in the Giants' system and were dealt to the Twinks for AJ Pierzynski. This is why they boo AJ.

thedudeabides
09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Bonser and Liriano (and Joe Nathan) came up in the Giants' system and were dealt to the Twinks for AJ Pierzynski. This is why they boo AJ.

I know not all were originally drafted through the Twins, I was just pointing out these are not "low round draft picks" and "unheralded prospects" as was previously stated. In fact, it's the exact opposite.

sullythered
09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I am completely confused.

BadBobbyJenks
09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I chuckled thread creator.

Plug in Mauer and Morneau for Phillips and Allen and that is pretty much this years team....except they didn't get to run them through their assembly line in the minors.

35th and Shields
09-24-2008, 11:12 PM

Before the last 7 names you mentioned, you had a point.

asindc
09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Before the last 7 names you mentioned, you had a point.

Actually, even with those last seven players mentioned, his point holds true. It's not like no one else thought enough of any of the players mentioned to invest in them. To read some of the comments here, you would think the Twinkees were a bunch of misfit non-drafted FAs cobbled together somehow. His point is that it is not even close to being the truth.

NLaloosh
09-25-2008, 09:34 AM
I'll put it another way:

If the Sox had planned to field the Twins team before this season how many of you would have been on here bitching about how cheap the Sox are and how they wouldn't finish above the cellar with that bunch?

Craig Grebeck
09-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I'll put it another way:

If the Sox had planned to field the Twins team before this season how many of you would have been on here bitching about how cheap the Sox are and how they wouldn't finish above the cellar with that bunch?
If we had the starting pitching they did and one of the best-hitting catchers of all time, I'd feel pretty damn good.

That being said, if we traded Johan Santana for peanuts and Matt Garza for Delmon Young I'd be pretty pissed off.

ChiSoxFan81
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I am now stoopider fur having enturd dis thread

Railsplitter
09-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I am now stoopider fur having enturd dis thread

I'm no sure you are. Your sentance is grammatically correct and you spelled "thread" properly.