PDA

View Full Version : DET make-up game

downstairs
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Apologies if this is answered anywhere else...

If the season ends with the Sox up 0.5 games, I assume the game with DET needs to be made up? Because if they lose that, we're tied.

Any word on when this will be made up?

Foulke You
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
It would be made up the day after the season ends. Hopefully, we won't need it.

CHISOXFAN13
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM

If the season ends with the Sox up 0.5 games, I assume the game with DET needs to be made up? Because if they lose that, we're tied.

Monday.

CashMan
09-24-2008, 12:15 PM

After watching how the Sox played last night, I have a feeling we won't need to make it up.

Palehose Pete
09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Meh. If the team needs to play out the season on Monday, so be it. Better than tanking like they did last year. At least there's a chance to win, right?

salty99
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah you would think the Sox would have released info about the game time at least so people could make plans.

Mohoney
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Would this technically be the makeup of the Friday game or the Saturday game?

kjhanson
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah you would think the Sox would have released info about the game time at least so people could make plans.

It will be a night game. Guaranteed.

And no, I don't have a source.

salty99
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah I agree, you just think they would release it already. Same thing with the possible tie breaker game on Tues.

voodoochile
09-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Would this technically be the makeup of the Friday game or the Saturday game?

I don't think it will matter. It's a guaranteed sell out. They will honor any redeemed tickets from the unplayed game as much as they can, but I'm sure they will be looking to sell as many tickets as they can and roll over the left over stubs to next season or credit toward ST's.

Mohoney
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think it will matter. It's a guaranteed sell out. They will honor any redeemed tickets from the unplayed game as much as they can, but I'm sure they will be looking to sell as many tickets as they can and roll over the left over stubs to next season or credit toward ST's.

I only ask because I have 4 for the Friday rainout but only 2 for the Saturday rainout. I don't want to ask people to go if I don't have a ticket for them.

voodoochile
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I only ask because I have 4 for the Friday rainout but only 2 for the Saturday rainout. I don't want to ask people to go if I don't have a ticket for them.

They won't know if they need the extra game until the last minute. That would be after the final game against the Tribe completes. That instant, tickets would go on sale and most people will buy theirs as they leave the ball park right there at the open ticket windows (this is how the flubbies did it in 1997 - I think that was the year).

You in theory could cash in all 6 tickets. This isn't a straight makeup game. The Sox will sell new tickets (or I assume exchanged tickets) on a first come first serve basis. Once the park is sold out, no one else gets in regardless of who they are. I imagine the exceptions to this are sky boxes, but everyone else would be catch as catch can.

However, I admit, I am purely speculating, call the Sox box office and ask. I am sure they will have an answer for you.

salty99
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Those who have tickets for Sept. 13 get to use them for Sept. 29. Sept. 12 tickets are good for next season.

TDog
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Meh. If the team needs to play out the season on Monday, so be it. Better than tanking like they did last year. At least there's a chance to win, right?

It's more likely they would have a chance to lose into a tie with the Twins than win into a tie with the Twins. The game would be played if the Twins and Sox are tied in the loss column or the Sox have one fewer loss. Right now the difference is two games.

I am guessing both the game against the Tigers and the playoff against the Twins would be day games. The way some people think about postponements being the worst possible scenario for baseball, if there is a threat of rain, maybe the games should be moved to the Metrodome, assuming Milwaukee is out. Does the Miller Park roof still leak?

Sad
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Those who have tickets for Sept. 13 get to use them for Sept. 29. Sept. 12 tickets are good for next season.

from White Sox rep / email -

Saturday’s Game tickets
Valid for the September 29th game, if necessary. If the game on September 29 is not necessary, the White Sox will announce an exchange policy for the game on September 13. Fans not wishing to wait until the 29th may, instead, choose to exchange their tickets for today’s continuous double header, or any home game remaining this season.

so I'm thinking my tickets are good for the Monday makeup for the same seats I had originally on Sat Sep 13, and no exchange is necessary...

SSrep
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM

or if the sox are down 0.5 game

FielderJones
09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
The only official word on the Sox site is still the 9/14 press release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3473838&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws), which is the same as Sad's ticket rep email. No exchange is necessary, tickets and parking passes with the September 13 date are good for September 29.

I hope the game isn't necessary because we've already clinched
I hope the game is a night game if we do need it

sox1970
09-24-2008, 01:53 PM
The only official word on the Sox site is still the 9/14 press release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3473838&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws), which is the same as Sad's ticket rep email. No exchange is necessary, tickets and parking passes with the September 13 date are good for September 29.

I hope the game isn't necessary because we've already clinched
I hope the game is a night game if we do need it

Don't count on it. Remember, the Twins won't be getting on a plane unless they have to.

downstairs
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
or if the sox are down 0.5 game

Good point. Lets just win the next three games and be done with it.

Now a second thing to consider: I wonder how DET will play the game? Their season is done, and they have to show up for one game that means absolutely nothing to them, when they'd all rather be golfing.

Do they play second-stringers? Do they care? Does the concept of being a "spoiler" really matter- especially in this case?

Britt Burns
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Do they play second-stringers?

Does Detroit have any other kind of players this year? I can't decide if this should be in teal or not...

Hokiesox
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Just wondering, do we have any Jews on the team? Monday is Rosh Hashana.

hillbilly
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry if somebody answered already, but just to clarify - September 12th tickets can only be used in exchange for next season or was that counted as the first game of the doubleheader on Sept 14th? I was out of town the past 2 weeks and haven't really been up to speed with what happened.

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Sorry if somebody answered already, but just to clarify - September 12th tickets can only be used in exchange for next season or was that counted as the first game of the doubleheader on Sept 14th? I was out of town the past 2 weeks and haven't really been up to speed with what happened.
It may be used for any game next season as a gift certificate towards the purchase of tickets.

Huisj
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
from White Sox rep / email -

Saturday’s Game tickets
Valid for the September 29th game, if necessary. If the game on September 29 is not necessary, the White Sox will announce an exchange policy for the game on September 13. Fans not wishing to wait until the 29th may, instead, choose to exchange their tickets for today’s continuous double header, or any home game remaining this season.

so I'm thinking my tickets are good for the Monday makeup for the same seats I had originally on Sat Sep 13, and no exchange is necessary...

I had 4 tickets to the Saturday, Sept 13th game, but I live out of town and there's no way I could make it for a game next monday if they had to play then. Am I screwed? Initially, I had gotten an email saying I could exchange them for next spring, but then I got another email saying they were good for the monday game. Does that mean there's no chance I could exchange them for next year if they do have to play monday?

NoNeckEra
09-24-2008, 04:05 PM

I'll take that bet.
These "just in case" games are ALWAYS afternoon games, possibly as late as 3pm.

UofCSoxFan
09-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I'll take that bet.
These "just in case" games are ALWAYS afternoon games, possibly as late as 3pm.

I don't remember a "Just in Case" game but the last two one game playoffs (i.e. what our game with Minny would be) have definitely been night games. I remember the Cubs against either SF or the Mets at night and Padres against Colorado. I don't see why the Tigers game would be any different.

I don't know how broadcasting rights work, but I would think this game, if played, would be picked up by ESPN2 if possible (MNF on ESPN). I guarantee that the Twins playoff would be at night and I tend to think the Detroit game would be a night game as well. Again, why would the Sox ever want to play it in the middle of the day with 2/3 the stadium empty vs. in front of a sell out and possible national telecast?

NoNeckEra
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Again, why would the Sox ever want to play it in the middle of the day with 2/3 the stadium empty vs. in front of a sell out and possible national telecast?
Don't overthink this. Detroit is coming off a Noon central time game at home, and as such, would be in town by early Sunday evening.

salty99
09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
I had 4 tickets to the Saturday, Sept 13th game, but I live out of town and there's no way I could make it for a game next monday if they had to play then. Am I screwed? Initially, I had gotten an email saying I could exchange them for next spring, but then I got another email saying they were good for the monday game. Does that mean there's no chance I could exchange them for next year if they do have to play monday?

The way I read it, if they play on Monday you are screwed, but it can't hurt to call the box office and find out.

UofCSoxFan
09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Don't overthink this. Detroit is coming off a Noon central time game at home, and as such, would be in town by early Sunday evening.

I understand your point that there is no reason to delay the game til the evening for the benefit of the Tigers since they could get here in time for a 2pm start. I'm saying the benefit is the Sox would like to play the game at night b/c more Sox fans would be there. Not many people will be able to take a Monday off on what may be a one day's notice.

The point that was made earlier that MLB would likey want to play the game earlier so the Twins would know whether or not they'd have to fly down here is a valid one. This is more important if the Sox are 0.5 down going into the Tigers game since if the Sox lose it saves the Twins a trip. Still, the flight from Minneapolis to Chicago is about 80 minutes. It's not exactly a cross country flight. If the Sox started at 6:05 and finished by around 8:30, the Twins could easily hop on a flight and be here by midnight. Converesely, they could leave at 9 in the morning and be here by 11 easily, 7 or 8 hours before the game. In many cases the commute from Minnesota to Chicago may be quicker than a player living in the suburbs driving into Chicago.

I want Mags back
09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Just wondering, do we have any Jews on the team? Monday is Rosh Hashana.

no

Hokiesox
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
no

Guess I'll have to sneak a radio into my synagogue on Monday night or Tuesday if necessary.

chisoxmike
09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
no

I thought Wasserman was.

doublem23
09-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I thought Wasserman was.

I don't know if he is or not, but Wassermann with 2 n's (like our buddy Ehren) is a German surname, while Wasserman with 1 n is Jewish.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassermann