PDA

View Full Version : Why was Broadway warming up in the third?

sunofgold
09-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Top of the third and Broadway was warming up. At first, I thought that Javier was injured or something. I kinda wanted Broadway in the game b/c I knew where Javier was headed in that game.

Broadway has never pitched in the Metrodome. Never know. Maybe he pitches well there. And yes I am desperate for some good pitching in the Dome.

I imagine Broadway comes in if one of our starters struggles in the next two days. Let's hope though that he doesn't. But, if he does, let's hope that he pitches well in the Dome.

Cannot wait until the Twins move to their new stadium. The Dome is not White Sox friendly.

Konerko05
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Top of the third and Broadway was warming up. At first, I thought that Javier was injured or something. I kinda wanted Broadway in the game b/c I knew where Javier was headed in that game.

Broadway has never pitched in the Metrodome. Never know. Maybe he pitches well there. And yes I am desperate for some good pitching in the Dome.

I imagine Broadway comes in if one of our starters struggles in the next two days. Let's hope though that he doesn't. But, if he does, let's hope that he pitches well in the Dome.

Cannot wait until the Twins move to their new stadium. The Dome is not White Sox friendly.

He was sending a message to Vazquez. Ozzie seems pretty fed up with him.

Broadway wasn't coming in the game after Vazquez. Richard was going to replace him. He chose to warm Broadway up so he didn't have Richard warming up multiple times in one game.

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Two thoughts on this:

- I think he was just getting work in
- If we have to use Broadway, we're already ****ed.

I lied, I have a third:

- Not having a good record at a field should NOT translate to losing important games by 8 runs. That's submission.

guillensdisciple
09-24-2008, 12:24 AM
He was sending a message to Vazquez. Ozzie seems pretty fed up with him.

Broadway wasn't coming in the game after Vazquez. Richard was going to replace him. He chose to warm Broadway up so he didn't have Richard warming up multiple times in one game.

Absolutely right, his intention was to send a message, he was doing the right thing. Javy is weak, and him ignoring Ozzie's comments like that make what Ozzie did justified.

That guy doesn't want to compete, change to cubby blue, we don't allow it here.

sunofgold
09-24-2008, 12:25 AM
What is the point of warming up a pitcher if you know that you aren't going to use him?

CHISOXFAN13
09-24-2008, 12:26 AM
What is the point of warming up a pitcher if you know that you aren't going to use him?

To send a message to a pitcher who has a ****ty history of success in big games. It's pretty clear what the point was.

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
To send a message to a pitcher who has a ****ty history of success in big games. It's pretty clear what the point was.

Not to me. What was the message? Keep this up, and I'll leave you in for another 2 innings/3 ER? Because that is exactly what he did....

Daver
09-24-2008, 12:31 AM
The only purpose was to give all the baseball experts something to speculate about.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 12:40 AM
The only purpose was to give all the baseball experts something to speculate about.

Ha!

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 12:50 AM

Ha!

So make the experts' job of Monday quarterbacking easy on Friday?

Super - They'll all look smart now while we lose games we can't afford.

I tend to believe he tried to bluff a leopard into believing his spots were tiger stripes.

They're not and/so it didn't work.

Javy flat out said he didn't really care - was going back home to Puerto Rico some day a happy wealthy guy win or lose.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Javy flat out said he didn't really care - was going back home to Puerto Rico some day a happy wealthy guy win or lose.

Vazquez is a .500 pitcher. You know what you're getting with him. He's a decent middle of the rotation type. This has been obvious for years. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

EuroSox35
09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Absolutely right, his intention was to send a message, he was doing the right thing. Javy is weak, and him ignoring Ozzie's comments like that make what Ozzie did justified.

That guy doesn't want to compete, change to cubby blue, we don't allow it here.

Yeah, that's the brilliant meatball thinking, if a guy doesn't succeed, he either didn't want to or try hard enough. I guess the 1st and 3rd innings was him teasing Sox fans. The guy is facing the biggest game of the year on a tough environment on the road, the last thing he needs is the manager putting a ton of crap in his head...

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Vazquez is a .500 pitcher. You know what you're getting with him. He's a decent middle of the rotation type. This has been obvious for years. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

I'm not. In fact, I pointed out earlier he's not even a .500 pitcher anymore.

SpartanSoxFan
09-24-2008, 12:54 AM

Again, this is some bull**** cop-out he came up with to hide his overbearing fear of pitching in a pressure situation. Translation:

"After I get my brains beat in and we don't make the playoffs, I will go hide with my tail between my legs in Puerto Rico." :rolleyes:

kittle42
09-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, that's the brilliant meatball thinking, if a guy doesn't succeed, he either didn't want to or try hard enough. I guess the 1st and 3rd innings was him teasing Sox fans. The guy is facing the biggest game of the year on a tough environment on the road, the last thing he needs is the manager putting a ton of crap in his head...

If you listen to some on this board, anyone who succeeds obviously tries their hardest and has the proper passion and heart and killer instinct. Anyone who fails does not.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Again, this is some bull**** cop-out he came up with to hide his overbearing fear of pitching in a pressure situation. Translation:

"After I get my brains beat in and we don't make the playoffs, I will go hide with my tail between my legs in Puerto Rico." :rolleyes:

Vazquez is not someone who can be relied on day in and day out. He's on sometimes and off sometimes. He reminds me a lot of myself in my job. Not a good thing for whatever team he is working for, but a good philosophy on life, I think.

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM

He's getting paid over $10M for a career...well, ****ty record. He needs to step up and the manager said so. He's being paid for it and so far, he's been terribly unreliable.

That's not filling heads with crap; that's saying that you are being counted on here to earn what you keep and help your team.

And he failed and failed miserably.

Javy may have crap in his head, but it was there long before Ozzie said anything.

SpartanSoxFan
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
If you listen to some on this board, anyone who succeeds obviously tries their hardest and has the proper passion and heart and killer instinct. Anyone who fails does not.

Its not a matter of "trying." You can "try" all you want but if your mindset is not right to compete, if you don't have that confidence that you WILL succeed, you are not putting yourself in position to succeed.

Like the old saying goes, "Whether you believe you can (win) or not, you're right."

kittle42
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Its not a matter of "trying." You can "try" all you want but if your mindset is not right to compete, if you don't have that confidence that you WILL succeed, you are not putting yourself in position to succeed.

Like the old saying goes, "Whether you believe you can (win) or not, you're right."

I need to remember this the next time I'm playing poker! :D:

BainesHOF
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
A much better question is why did Ozzie bring in Carrasco and Ramirez? They're two pitchers who could very well be used in the next two games. Why give Minnesota a look at them in a first-game blowout? To me, that was ridiculous. Wasserman and/or Broadway should have closed the game.

Domeshot17
09-24-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't think the killer instinct is a personal trait but a team trait. All year long we have left a lot on the table. It is the downside of not having a lot of youth or speed on the team, when you get a little flat there is no way to energize it. Honestly, and most know I am not a fan of this guy at all, I hope we see Owens tonight. We need that little bit of life a stolen base can put into you. The turning point in last nights game was clearly all the stolen bases in the big inning. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Especially with a young kid on the bump, give him something to worry about with Owens on first and watch him lay a cookie to JD, thats how I see it.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Especially with a young kid on the bump, give him something to worry about with Owens on first and watch him lay a cookie to JD, thats how I see it.

Your post doesn't address how Jerry Owens actually manages to get to first base.

asindc
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
A much better question is why did Ozzie bring in Carrasco and Ramirez? They're two pitchers who could very well be used in the next two games. Why give Minnesota a look at them in a first-game blowout? To me, that was ridiculous. Wasserman and/or Broadway should have closed the game.

I normally don't 2nd guess our WS-winning manager, but I have to admit I was surprised that he didn't decide to let Wasserman finish up and save other arms for the next few games. We'll if it makes a difference.

As for Broadway warming up, maybe he just needed to get some work in.

alohafri
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM

I don't think anyone is surprised...more frustrated. Here is a guy who can be so dominant one game, striking out 10, throwing a shut out, and the next game look like he is pitching in his second career outing.

The way things stand right now, if we make the playoffs, I make Vazquez my #4 pitcher behind Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks in that order.

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
It was obvious to me.

KW was showcasing Lance for a trade for Kubel in the off season.

kittle42
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
The way things stand right now, if we make the playoffs, I make Vazquez my #4 pitcher behind Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks in that order.

No question.

FedEx227
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Your post doesn't address how Jerry Owens actually manages to get to first base.

Duh! He's Chicago tough.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
So make the experts' job of Monday quarterbacking easy on Friday?

Super - They'll all look smart now while we lose games we can't afford.

I tend to believe he tried to bluff a leopard into believing his spots were tiger stripes.

They're not and/so it didn't work.

That was one of the more disappointing articles I've read about a guy before a big game. When I read that, I knew the Sox were in trouble with him on the mound.

I can't wait for the offseason and for KW to trade him. I can't stand him; he's not a competitor. All he cares about is strikeouts.

oeo
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
It was obvious to me.

KW was showcasing Lance for a trade for Kubel in the off season.

How will Kubel make a living if he can't face Sox pitching?

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
How will Kubel make a living if he can't face Sox pitching?
More importantly, how will the Twins beat us if Kubel doesn't hit 3,276 home runs against us every year?

Domeshot17
09-24-2008, 01:21 PM

I know, hence the real reason I strongly dislike Owens.

FedEx227
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I know, hence the real reason I strongly dislike Owens.

His sub-par ability to play the game a baseball?

Outside of his mediocre hitting, awful defense and Juan Pierre-like arm he's a pretty solid player.