PDA

View Full Version : The single reason we'll win this division.

JUribe1989
09-23-2008, 11:15 PM
So I was sitting in Middle East Politics the other day after our big loss against the Yankees and the Twins big comeback to start the TB series, and I decided to figure out every way the Sox could make the playoffs.

I came up with one that I found to me the most plausible, and I swear to you I wrote this last Friday morning and it has followed exactly like this. This is the way the Sox will finish out the season. This is what I have had written down since Friday.

9/19: Sox W vs KC, Twins L vs TB +2.5
9/20: Sox L vs KC, Twins L vs TB +2.5
9/21: Sox W vs KC, Twins W vs TB +2.5
9/22: Off Day
9/23: Sox L vs MIN +1.5
9/24: Sox W vs MIN +2.5
9/25: Sox W vs MIN +3.5
9/26: Sox L vs CLE, Twins W vs KC, +2.5
9/27: Sox W vs CLE, Twins W vs KC, +2.5 Clincher

Mark it down, it's going down like that. So says my Middle East Politics notebook. :gulp:

thomas35forever
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
That means I won't miss anything Friday night when I call high school football.

OldRomanPizza
09-23-2008, 11:26 PM
So I was sitting in Middle East Politics the other day after our big loss against the Yankees and the Twins big comeback to start the TB series, and I decided to figure out every way the Sox could make the playoffs.

I came up with one that I found to me the most plausible, and I swear to you I wrote this last Friday morning and it has followed exactly like this. This is the way the Sox will finish out the season. This is what I have had written down since Friday.

9/19: Sox W vs KC, Twins L vs TB +2.5
9/20: Sox L vs KC, Twins L vs TB +2.5
9/21: Sox W vs KC, Twins W vs TB +2.5
9/22: Off Day
9/23: Sox L vs MIN +1.5
9/24: Sox W vs MIN +2.5
9/25: Sox W vs MIN +3.5
9/26: Sox L vs CLE, Twins W vs KC, +2.5
9/27: Sox W vs CLE, Twins W vs KC, +2.5 Clincher

Mark it down, it's going down like that. So says my Middle East Politics notebook. :gulp:

So if this doesn't happen is it Osama's fault?

chisoxfanatic
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
:tealpolice:

IronFisk
09-23-2008, 11:38 PM
not too shabby - other than you're lucky as hell.

if it follows that pattern - start betting as a career.

guillensdisciple
09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
not too shabby - other than you're lucky as hell.

if it follows that pattern - start betting as a career.

Without a doubt.... impressive!

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2008, 12:43 AM
That's quite a stomach-churning way to win it; but, I'll take any method of winning the division before the make-up game. We have to give our rotation the needed rest for Tampa.

KingXerxes
09-24-2008, 12:52 AM
The White Sox will win this division because sweeping a series isn't all that likely - ever.

Take one out of three in Minnesota and you leave up a game and a half.

Take two out of three from Cleveland (while Minnesota does the same with Kansas City) and it's over.

DaveFeelsRight
09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
I think we face Lee on sunday. Doesn't help that the indians are red hot right now.

CHISOXFAN13
09-24-2008, 08:54 AM
I think we face Lee on sunday. Doesn't help that the indians are red hot right now.

Lee hasn't been the lights-out version in jis last two outings (ND, loss).

esbrechtel
09-24-2008, 09:16 AM
All we need is just 1 win against this damn twins team....cmon guys get it done!

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 09:31 AM
All we need is just 1 win against this damn twins team....cmon guys get it done!
After looking at the season's results, I've learned that the last time we got swept was at Wrigley in the third weekend in June. No way do we leave Minny without a win.

Jenks4Prez
09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
No way do we leave Minny without a win.

If you say so.

JorgeFabregas
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
My mom will be at that 9/27 game. I believe the only other game she's attended was September 27, 1993. :cool:

JUribe1989
09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
My mom will be at that 9/27 game. I believe the only other game she's attended was September 27, 1993. :cool:

It's Soxstiny.

Procol Harum
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey--I've got stinkin' tickets for Friday and I'm lookin' for that to be a good time. Why are you doin' me wrong?? :whiner:

esbrechtel
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Sunday is fan appreciation day what better way to appreciate the fans than with a champagne celebration?

Sad
09-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know if this scenario has been discussed in another thread...
but why can't we still clinch it with this series even with the loss last night?

IF we win these next 2 against the Twinkies... does it matter what we do against Cleveland? We would have a 3 1/2 game lead at this point...
Wouldn't this essentially clinch even though the magic number would technically be 1?

Heading into tonight's game, we are tied 8-games each against Minnesota...winning the next 2 would bring it to 10-8 in favor of the SOX.

Worst case scenario:
IF then Cleveland would sweep us, and IF Minnesota would sweep KC, we would then have only a 1/2 game lead...

However, why would MLB force the SOX to play the Monday makeup game vs. Detroit (to make up the 1/2 game difference) if by losing we would then be tied with Minn. but already have the tiebreaker in-hand?

Unless head to head competition isn't the first tiebreaker? :scratch:
I thought it was...

Am I missing something obvious?

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Isn't head to head competition the first tiebreaker?
Only if the other team is guaranteed a playoff spot. The team who won that head-to-head tiebreaker wins the division, while the 2nd place team gets the Wild Card. In our case, however, the 2nd place team will not make the playoffs, so that head-to-head thing is irrelevant.

assrevolution
09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Worst case scenario:
IF then Cleveland would sweep us, and IF Minnesota would sweep KC, we would then have only a 1/2 game lead...

However, why would MLB force the SOX to play the Monday makeup game vs. Detroit (to make up the 1/2 game difference) if by losing we would then be tied with Minn. but already have the tiebreaker in-hand?

Unless head to head competition isn't the first tiebreaker? :scratch:
I thought it was...

Am I missing something obvious?

There are no tiebreakers via record for teams where one of them would be out of the playoffs. They play the game. I love this about baseball. The Sox could realisticly be in a position to clinch the division with a win in just one of last 3 games of the season, starting on SUNDAY!

Sad
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
There are no tiebreakers via record for teams where one of them would be out of the playoffs. They play the game. I love this about baseball. The Sox could realisticly be in a position to clinch the division with a win in just one of last 3 games of the season, starting on SUNDAY!

DOH! Stupid theory... :redface:

NLaloosh
09-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Yes. And, in that case Bush bombs North Korea.

thomas35forever
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes. And, in that case Bush bombs North Korea.
Uhh...political?:?: