PDA

View Full Version : Is Tomorrow the Biggest Game of the Year?

stevied23
09-23-2008, 11:02 PM
If they win tomorrow, they get back to being up 3 games in the loss column and can carry a little momentum going into the final game.

If they lose, the pressure really falls on them to avoid the sweep on Thursday and go into the Cleveland series on a sour note.

Thoughts??

thomas35forever
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Not tomorrow, but the day after will be if we lose. We start with a clean slate tomorrow. There's no letting up. Win one game and we'll leave Minny in first. That said, I suppose I'd trust either Buehrle or Floyd before trusting Vazquez. Sadly, if we make the playoffs, you know we're going to see Vazquez at some point. We can't go into the playoffs with three starters and I don't want Richard or Broadway to take his spot if filled.

Noneck
09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
At this point of the season and in the situation the Sox are in, the "next" game will be the most important until they clinch or are eliminated.

realflava23
I say the 3rd game which is Thursday. It's either going back home with 1.5 or 2.5 game lead depending on tomorrow's outcome or come back home trailing .5 game.

Daver
No.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Not tomorrow, but the day after will be if we lose. We start with a clean slate tomorrow. There's no letting up. Win one game and we'll leave Minny in first. That said, I suppose I'd trust either Buehrle or Floyd before trusting Vazquez. Sadly, if we make the playoffs, you know we're going to see Vazquez at some point. We can't go into the playoffs with three starters and I don't want Richard or Broadway to take his spot if filled.

Tomorrow is and i sure as hell hope they come out with some fire
after getting their asses kicked tonight.A loss tomorrow and the
snowball is officially rolling...as for the playoffs,provided we get
there,and i do think we will,Vasquez would have to be on the
shortest leash possible if he was starting.I mean the first sighting
of a yellow stain on his pants and he's out of there.

SpartanSoxFan
09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
:welcome:

I think it is a must-win. If the Sox lose tomorrow, I think the Twins will have all the momentum they need to finish the sweep. If the Sox win tomorrow, they are back where they started, up 3 games in the loss column. Night-and-day difference.

DSpivack
09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Well, in a way, yes. The biggest game of the season is always the next one.

JB98
09-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, in a way, yes. The biggest game of the season is always the next one.

Yep. Tomorrow is the biggest game of the year. And then, Thursday's game will be the biggest of the year.

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I think tomorrow is huge. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that the winner of tomorrow's game wins the division. No teal intended or implied.

If the Twins win tomorrow, they steamroll the Sox for the sweep. Sox fall out of first, magic number stays at 5 with 3 more to play, and the Sox need KC to beat the Twins at least once to keep hope alive.

If the Sox win tomorrow, they are guaranteed to leave Minneapolis in 1st place and, with the magic number down to 3, in control of their own destiny.

SMO
:gulp:

CHISOXFAN13
09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I think tomorrow is huge. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that the winner of tomorrow's game wins the division. No teal intended or implied.

If the Twins win tomorrow, they steamroll the Sox for the sweep. Sox fall out of first, magic number stays at 5 with 3 more to play, and the Sox need KC to beat the wins at least once to keep hope alive.

If the Sox win tomorrow, they are guaranteed to leave Minneapolis in 1st place and, with the magic number down to 3, in control of their own destiny.

SMO

Your statement is wrong. Even with a sweep, the Sox are even in the loss column. If each team wins out, which includes the Monday make-up, the Twins come here Tuesday.

Noneck
09-24-2008, 12:18 AM

If the Twins win tomorrow, they steamroll the Sox for the sweep. Sox fall out of first, magic number stays at 5 with 3 more to play, and the Sox need KC to beat the wins at least once to keep hope alive.

SMO

If this happens both Sox and twins will have the same amount of losses, the only reason the twins will be in 1st is because they will have played 1 more game than the Sox.(which is the detroit game if necessary) The Sox will still control their own destiny and wont need kc.

nccwsfan
09-24-2008, 12:30 AM
From here on out the next game is the biggest game of the year.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
I won't say it's "must win" or the biggest game of the year" but what I will say is that if they blow it Wednesday, the pressure could be extremely difficult to handle for Thursday in a place filled to capacity with Twins fans and a young pitcher on the mound not used to that type of pressure.

And the pressure would be huge on everyone else on the team as well. And we've seen how some of these guys are handling the pressure already in September.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
I don't think it matters for this group of guys.

They just go about their business as OC says. If they win great and if not then that's fine also. Their is always tomorrow.

IronFisk
09-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Yes. if Buehrle can't close the door - we're toast.

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2008, 12:47 AM
We need Buehrle to pitch even better than he did at Yankee Stadium, for we all know the **** that goes on in that dump.

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 12:50 AM
We need Buehrle to pitch even better than he did at Yankee Stadium, for we all know the **** that goes on in that dump.

When does the blame start going more towards the players rather than a stupid venue the opposing team plays in?

guillensdisciple
09-24-2008, 01:27 AM
When does the blame start going more towards the players rather than a stupid venue the opposing team plays in?

Thank you!!!! Players create their own destiny... Hawk was talking about some sounds, which didn't make any sense. The reason why everything goes wrong is because the Sox play like crap. They do nothing right, so why not have a team trample all over you. Both these teams are looking for a playoff spot, at this point of the year where you play shouldn't matter. The players should be pumped enough by the fact that there is a chance they could be in the running for a championship.

If the sox don't win it, they didn't want it, regardless of what they say. Today they looked dead, if it continues this season will be OVA.

KingXerxes
09-24-2008, 01:27 AM
I won't say it's "must win" or the biggest game of the year" but what I will say is that if they blow it Wednesday, the pressure could be extremely difficult to handle for Thursday in a place filled to capacity with Twins fans and a young pitcher on the mound not used to that type of pressure.

And the pressure would be huge on everyone else on the team as well. And we've seen how some of these guys are handling the pressure already in September.

Lip

Lip - My thoughts exactly. If the White Sox lose on Wednesday, there will be tremendous pressure on Thursday.

The way to avoid this would be to win on Wednesday, and I'm fairly confident that they will.

Lundind1
09-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I hate the idea of jumping ship, but I just have a horrible feeling about this whole thing. The Sox can't win in that place for some reason, and it isn't the venue. I think it is a Gardenhire that is doing this to us. They just match up better. And here I thought that for once, just once the Sox were going to have their number, just once, like the 4 game sweep a few months ago. They are going to try to return the favor now.

asindc
09-24-2008, 09:20 AM
No.

sox1970
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Damn right it's the biggest game of the year. It's the last week of the season and against the team chasing them. Of course it is.

JungleJimR
09-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Lip

Not a must - that would be if we had to play
Detroit again.
In so far as this young pitcher we have pitching on Thursday - I personally saw him in full wind up with the bases loaded in front of 55,000 screaming Yankee fans strike out Giambi in a 13 pitch battle.

He can handle the pressure. And if it comes down to his winning the only one in Minn, then he is our MVP. He is close to it now anyway.

alohafri
09-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Lip

This is exactly why I think today's game is the biggest game of the year. As much as I wanted a sweep against Minnesota, I would settle for winning one game. With that, we leave the Dumpdome still in first place. Winning today accomplishes that. Not winning today, the pressure is on.

Soxman219
09-24-2008, 12:08 PM

There is no mystique about the Glad-Bag Dump Dome. We won two out of three in Oakland last month and we always suck at that place. If we can win there, we can definitely win here.

captain54
09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
The biggest "games' of the year are the games we've given away in the last couple of months. I can think of at least 6 off the top of my head..

the thing should have been over with last week.....crappy bullpen, inconsistent offense, missed offensive opportunities have all led to this...

twentywontowin
09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Every game, from Game 1 to Game 162, is more important than the next. With what we have on the line currently, even more so.

rdwj
09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
It's the biggest game of the year so far.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
It is the second-biggest game of the year. If they lose tonight, tomorrow is the biggest game of the year because if they get swept, the Twins will win the division.

jabrch
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Today is the biggest game of the year - until we clinch.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Captain:

Apparently Kenny agrees with you according to the newspapers today. He said the Sox should be ten games better then they are and should have already clinched it.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Wednesday's game is the biggest since the Crede walk off HR game against the Tribe in 05. If we don't win tonight the Twins will probably sweep us and we will go home a half game out. It won't be easy at home with the Tribe playing like they did in the 2nd half 05.

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Captain:

Apparently Kenny agrees with you according to the newspapers today. He said the Sox should be ten games better then they are and should have already clinched it.

Lip

This the reason I get annoyed when people come out here and simply say things like:

- 2 of 3 ain't bad
- let's get them tomorrow.
- this is one of those 60 you just put on the "L" column
- it's only one game.
- you will have nights like this

and the list can go on.

EVERY game counts IMO and should be played this way.

If the Sox lose this thing, it will not be because of this crappy September. Go back and look at April, May, & June when quality start after quality start was pissed away. Then the implosioin of this bullpen the second half.

Enough with blaming the Crappy Dome for our bad play too.

BigP50
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
assuming we lose this will be NO DOUBT THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR.

we lose then we are down .5 game

if we win they we have a 1.5 game lead