PDA

View Full Version : OF Positioning?

EuroSox35
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Hawk sometimes talks about how some teams never change their OF position, while others change on every hitter.

Where do the Sox rank on this scale?

I for one am sick of bloop after bloop after bloop against the Twins. It seems bizarre that something like this would be the reason for the Twins killing us with that game so many times, but when I watch this team, year after year (and now in the last week of the season) still unable to handle a rundown, a bunt, etc, I wonder if the coaches even work on this crap, and can't say that nothing would surprise me at this point...

SBSoxFan
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Tonight, anyway, it certainly seemed like they were playing too deep. I think I'd take my chances; only Mauer, Morneau, and Kubel have the consistent ability to hit the ball deep.

Konerko05
09-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Tonight, anyway, it certainly seemed like they were playing too deep. I think I'd take my chances; only Mauer, Morneau, and Kubel have the consistent ability to hit the ball deep.

It didn't really matter where they set up tonight with that collection of players in the outfield.

Compare tonights Twins outfield with the Sox. It's downright awful.

Adele_H
09-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Hawk sometimes talks about how some teams never change their OF position, while others change on every hitter.

Where do the Sox rank on this scale?

They rank in 'OF positioning' just about where they rank in:

-INF positioning
-baserunning (speed)
-baserunning (smarts)
-OF range (CF-RF)
-Fielding %
-holding the runner (pitcher)
-holding the runner (middle INF)
-throwing out runner
-rundowns
-bunting
-hit-n-runs
-hitting oppo
-hitting on the Road
-hitting w. RISP, 2 outs
-hitting against good-to-excellent pitching

that is to say, not highly.

Thank G-d for such a (self-proclaimed) fundamentals maestro as Ozzie - or we'd be in real trouble.

Konerko05
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
-rundowns

Thank G-d for such a (self-proclaimed) fundamentals maestro as Ozzie - or we'd be in real trouble.

I don't understand how they are still this bad at executing rundowns. I can honestly say that my brother's little league team executes rundowns better.

You would think after the first botched rundown, Ozzie would have bit their heads off and had them doing drills the next day. Instead, they seem to be getting worse. The worst part about it is these rundowns are coming from "smart" baseball players like Pierzynski, Swisher, and Cabrera. It's embarassing. Gardenhire was probably laughing at Guillen's White Sox all game.

Brian26
09-23-2008, 10:41 PM
It didn't really matter where they set up tonight with that collection of players in the outfield.

Compare tonights Twins outfield with the Sox. It's downright awful.

Dewayne Wise in particular was brutal tonight with his circle-the-wagons routine on every flyball hit to LF, not even considering the throwing mistakes.

Adele_H
09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Dewayne Wise in particular was brutal tonight with his circle-the-wagons routine on every flyball hit to LF, not even considering the throwing mistakes.

I forgot about throwing - even Jermaine Dye hasn't made a throw worth his reputation in a long time.

Adele_H
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
They rank in 'OF positioning' just about where they rank in:

-INF positioning
-baserunning (speed)
-baserunning (smarts)
-OF range (CF-RF)
-Fielding %
-holding the runner (pitcher)
-holding the runner (middle INF)
-throwing out runner
-rundowns
-bunting
-hit-n-runs
-hitting oppo
-hitting on the Road
-hitting w. RISP, 2 outs
-hitting against good-to-excellent pitching

that is to say, not highly.

It's embarassing. Gardenhire was probably laughing at Guillen's White Sox all game.

I doubt it. Twins have been playing some pretty bad baseball coming into the series themselves. Gardenhire was probably a little relieved, if nothing else.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I didn't get to watch or listen last night. Could someone fill me in on what happened in the outfield? I've read about the triple past Griffey, which I can guess would have been a line out with a center fielder playing center field. But what did Wise do? How many bloopers were there?

Adele_H
09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't get to watch or listen last night. Could someone fill me in on what happened in the outfield? I've read about the triple past Griffey, which I can guess would have been a line out with a center fielder playing center field. But what did Wise do? How many bloopers were there?

--Griffey turned an out into a lead-off triple that seemingly TKO-d Vazquez.
--Dye didn't read the ball well, slow wheels; had to pull up on a "double" by Young in the next play, although that wasn't an easy play by any means.
--Wise circling the wagons act, culminating with stupidly throwing home instead of 2nd.