PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Cabrera Questons Current Sox Winning Additude

Jpgr91
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
OC was interviewed today by Boers and Bernstien today. The interview can be found on http://www.670thescore.com/

One of the guys ask OC to compare this Sox team to other teams he has played on. OC said that "We do not come out every night as winners. We come out every night hoping to win." OC basicly said other winning teams he was on did not accept any loss, where as with this sox team they have a "get them tomorrow" additude.

Interesting perspective from a proven winner.

Jpgr91
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Mods ~ I attempted to post this in the clubhouse, seeing as a current player is interviewed about the teams current additude. The thread was auto moved to whats the score, maybe because of the score link?

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
He was also quoted saying the same on whitesox.com
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080921&content_id=3521812&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

veeter
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I didn't have to hear this from Cabrera. It's right in front of me on t.v., damn near every night.

SpartanSoxFan
09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
This "proven winner" did an amazing job tonight proving how clutch he is...let's check the stat sheet, shall we??? 1-4 with a GIDP. Very mediocre.

Lesson learned...karma is a bitch, keep your damned mouth shut, and let your bat do the talking. Sheesh. This team and all their damned talk makes me want to vomit. :rolleyes:

Jpgr91
09-23-2008, 09:57 PM
This "proven winner" did an amazing job tonight proving how clutch he is...let's check the stat sheet, shall we??? 1-4 with a GIDP. Very mediocre.

Lesson learned...karma is a bitch, keep your damned mouth shut, and let your bat do the talking. Sheesh. This team and all their damned talk makes me want to vomit. :rolleyes:

Not to make this about OC, but he does have 1 WS ring and 2 Gold Gloves. Yes, talk is cheap, but it is imposible to deny that OC has been around some very good baseball teams. Clearly, he does not see this team as having the mental make up of a winner.

veeter
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
OC has one ring.

gregoriop
09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
And doesn't run out pop flies.

Jpgr91
09-23-2008, 10:07 PM
OC has one ring.

You are right, my bad.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
OC has one ring.

And many phone calls.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 10:24 PM
What is "additude?"

Is it like attitude?

By the way, there is no auto-direct of threads. They are opened where the original poster opens it. It might get moved later, but this one was opened in WTS by the original poster.

Jpgr91
09-23-2008, 10:25 PM
What is additude?

Is it like attitude?

I don't quite know, I went to public school obv.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't quite know, I went to public school obv.
So did I. K-12. Chicago Public Schools, no less.

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
So did I K-12. Chicago Public Schools, no less.

Which obviously was successful in aiding your comprehension ability despite missellings.

Insignifcant misspellings. <fragment>

Do I need to explain? :rolleyes:

Holy crap, who cares.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Which obviously was successful in aiding your comprehension ability despite missellings.

Holy crap, who cares.
I know, I know.....

"It's the Internet. It doesn't matter."

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM

God forbid a player on this team calls everyone out for their ****ty play and attitude. Then he becomes the bad guy :rolleyes:

How dare he.

CHISOXFAN13
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
God forbid a player on this team calls everyone out for their ****ty play and attitude. Then he becomes the bad guy :rolleyes:

How dare he.

I don't mind him doing it, but he's the same ******* who made a habit out of calling the press box.

He's been below average at best.

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't mind him doing it, but he's the same ******* who made a habit out of calling the press box.

He's been below average at best.

Yes, he's hardly anybody who is worthy of calling anyone out. There's maybe 2 people - 3 tops and he is not one of them.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Cabrera has not been anything exciting. He's been like a lot of other guys on this team; he's had some good stretches and some dismal stretches. I seriously don't see where he thinks his performance entitles him to call anybody out.

chaerulez
09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Probably the only players that have earned the right to call anyone out would be Dye, Thome, Jenks, Danks and Floyd. Maybe add Buehrle to that list. I would say Quentin except he has to take blame for his stupid hit my hand with my bat routine.

JohnTucker0814
09-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Not to make this about OC, but he does have 1 WS ring and 2 Gold Gloves. Yes, talk is cheap, but it is imposible to deny that OC has been around some very good baseball teams. Clearly, he does not see this team as having the mental make up of a winner.

Wasn't his 1 WS ring with the Red Sox in '04... and if I remember right they got him at the trading deadline to replace Nomar, so he was only on a WS team from August-September during the regular season and I don't remember him doing anything to help them come back from a 3-0 defecit to the Yankees...

asindc
09-24-2008, 08:26 AM

Holy crap, who cares.

I very much care, and I'm concerned that more people don't.:?:

As for OC, he hasn't wanted to be here from the beginning, so I take what he says at face value, but with a grain of salt. If he was performing up to last year's level, I would be more inclined to give it credence. But since he is not,...

Domeshot17
09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
This kind of pisses me off as a Sox Fan. I don't care who says it, it could be MacDougal, they are 10000% right. This team has ZERO NONE ZILCH Killer Instinct. They play hesitant, trying not to lose. They don't have high energy, they don't come out thinking lets take it to the other team. It's like having 25 Jon Garlands this year even with him gone.

OC is right so I have no problem with him holding his team mates accountable./

North Sox Sider
09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
This kind of pisses me off as a Sox Fan. I don't care who says it, it could be MacDougal, they are 10000% right. This team has ZERO NONE ZILCH Killer Instinct. They play hesitant, trying not to lose. They don't have high energy, they don't come out thinking lets take it to the other team. It's like having 25 Jon Garlands this year even with him gone.

OC is right so I have no problem with him holding his team mates accountable./

I also agree. Its like we are back in the Jerry Manuel era. Lets go get'em tomorrow. We are getting to the point where there will be no tomorrow. I am really surprised that this is coming from a Ozzie Guillen team. We have so many experienced and veteran players...maybe that is the problem. The core of our 2005 team is satisfied with their 2005 outcome that there is no real push. I just dont understand it. I know we are not in the clubhouse everyday but where is the fire. How come our batters havent hit some watercoolers when they leave men on base and hit a weak pop up.

Of course I am overreacting but I cant remember a team that has done well at times frustrate me at the same time. It is really weird

asindc
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
I also agree. Its like we are back in the Jerry Manuel era. Lets go get'em tomorrow. We are getting to the point where there will be no tomorrow. I am really surprised that this is coming from a Ozzie Guillen team. We have so many experienced and veteran players...maybe that is the problem. The core of our 2005 team is satisfied with their 2005 outcome that there is no real push. I just dont understand it. I know we are not in the clubhouse everyday but where is the fire. How come our batters havent hit some watercoolers when they leave men on base and hit a weak pop up.

Of course I am overreacting but I cant remember a team that has done well at times frustrate me at the same time. It is really weird

Or pound the knob of the bat with their hands... uh, oh right. Not a good idea. I do understand your frustration, but I don't get the sense that they are not hungry. I think they are tired and worn down. One of the downsides to having a "veteran" squad.

jabrch
09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Calling out your teammates in public, on a radio show, after a bad loss, makes you a bad teammate.

white sox bill
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Speaking of Garland, I never thought he was a slacker or didn't care because of his laid back attitude. Anyone remember former Viking coach Bud Grant? Mr Stoneface. You couldn't tell if he was a) Winning b) Losing c) Wanted to have sex with his wife or d) Wanted to go hunting. Of course, maybe given some of those options, he might pick D.:smile:

DumpJerry
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Speaking of Garland, I never thought he was a slacker or didn't care because of his laid back attitude. Anyone remember former Viking coach Bud Grant? Mr Stoneface. You couldn't tell if he was a) Winning b) Losing c) Wanted to have sex with his wife or d) Wanted to go hunting. Of course, maybe given some of those options, he might pick D.:smile:
Same could be said of Tom Landry.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Having big temper tantrums and smashing things with a bat doesn't show "competitiveness," it shows a lack of maturity. Whether or not Cabrera is "right" is a matter of opinion. None of you are in the clubhouse; you have no idea how much "fire" is shown.

If Cabrera is so right about the attitude needed, how come he isn't tearing up the league? Apparently many of you think he has the answer.

whitem0nkey
09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Calling out your teammates in public, on a radio show, after a bad loss, makes you a bad teammate.

Yep,

after hearing the comments yesterday, I now understand why the sox dont plan on resigning him.

OC comments may have been correct, but you dont do that if your a good teammate. you take those comments and say them in closed doors in front of your team.

Anyway lets end our World Series drought and win it in 08!

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Well, you have to look at it this way. Cabrera does not have a long term investment here with the Sox and his time to win is NOW. This is the only year he is playing for right now. And if he sees things that concern him about his teammates attitude that will keep him from winning this particular year, he needs to call them out. He should care less if he will piss the other guys off because he will not be here beyond this year.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, you have to look at it this way. Cabrera does not have a long term investment here with the Sox and his time to win is NOW. This is the only year he is playing for right now. And if he sees things that concern him about his teammates attitude that will keep him from winning this particular year, he needs to call them out. He should care less if he will piss the other guys off because he will not be here beyond this year.How much less should he care?

He just needs to go look in a mirror, and figure out what he can do to spark things. By calling out the rest of the team, he is (by implication) saying that his contribution is just fine.

RCWHITESOX
09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, you have to look at it this way. Cabrera does not have a long term investment here with the Sox and his time to win is NOW. This is the only year he is playing for right now. And if he sees things that concern him about his teammates attitude that will keep him from winning this particular year, he needs to call them out. He should care less if he will piss the other guys off because he will not be here beyond this year.

The Sox have been anything but consistant. You never know what your going to get from game to game. Even if they get into the playoffs their going to have to be on fire with their station offense. Their definitely going to have to play over their heads with this team to get into the World Series; and that is a fact because team balance is something that they definitely do not have!

asindc
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
How much less should he care?

He just needs to go look in a mirror, and figure out what he can do to spark things. By calling out the rest of the team, he is (by implication) saying that his contribution is just fine.

That's the real problem I have with him saying this in public after an important loss. Like I said earlier, if he was performing up to par, I would find it less objectionable.