PDA

View Full Version : DJ to work for MLB network?

thedudeabides
09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I was just listening to MJH and they said DJ is talking with the MLB network, and had Ed Farmer on, and asked if he knew who would be announcing with him next year? Farmer said he didn't know.

Anyone else hear DJ won't be back at all?

munchman33
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone else hear DJ won't be back at all?

God I hope so.

btrain929
09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
There's a decent chance of it. He's out of the TV booth since Stone will be with Hawk, so either he'll be doing radio with us and letting Farmio ambush him on the radio (DJ won't be able to get 3 full sentences in during an entire game), or find another gig. But if there is little to no interest for him outside of the White Sox, he'll probably crawl back and take the WSCR gig with Farmer.

kraut83
09-23-2008, 04:29 PM
This would be good for him. IMO, DJ does a much better job when he's on a Fox broadcast than he does with Harrelson.

Rockabilly
09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I heard a rumor here in CA that Black Jack might be the new radio guy. If DJ goes elsewhere..

Lip Man 1
09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
This and that:

1. Unless Jack has totally changed what he's been saying for the past few years, I don't see it happening. Jack has consistently stated that until his kids are grown and out of the house he does not want to go through the grind of 162 games plus spring training. For whatever that may be worth to you.

2. When the news came out about Stone going to TV I spoke with a member of the organization and at that time (which I noted to myself) it sounded like they were already planning for life without DJ. I had a second source give me their impressions of what they thought the Sox were looking for and again I noted that it sounded like a done deal with DJ leaving.

We'll see.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Give me Eric Collins and push Farmio over to color once again.

I don't want Dave Wills back. He has forgot his true colors already.

doublem23
09-23-2008, 05:38 PM

:rolleyes:

What. The. ****. Ever.

The Critic
09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Give me Eric Collins and push Farmio over to color once again.

I don't know if I want Eric Collins, but moving Farmer back to color would be fine with me.
Farmer is audio nutmeg - a little is fine, but too much could kill you.

And I don't want Wills around anymore, but not because of any colors. I just didn't like his work.

Bill Naharodny
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know if I want Eric Collins, but moving Farmer back to color would be fine with me.
Farmer is audio nutmeg - a little is fine, but too much could kill you.

And I don't want Wills around anymore, but not because of any colors. I just didn't like his work.

Agree on Wills, but I reckon that makes us the minority in these parts.

MeteorsSox4367
09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
As for Eric Collins, no thanks. Blandness followed by more blandness. Nope.

As for DJ, he lived in a condo building in the South Loop that was maintained by my brother. In fact, DJ even signed some cards for me. The bottom line with DJ is that he's a very nice man, but just a horse(bleep) announcer. Too many cliches and too much reliance on phrases like "thought process" and "he's gonna go ahead and..."

If DJ does get the gig with MLB, I wish him nothing but the best.

As for Dave Wills, I was able to do color with him on an Evergreen Park HS football game some years ago. Obviously, he's moved on to bigger and better things. Really good announcer, really good guy.

cards press box
09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Agree on Wills, but I reckon that makes us the minority in these parts.

Yes, it does. Wills would be my top choice for the radio booth if DJ leaves.

The Immigrant
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Is Ventura completely out of the picture for the radio gig?

I want Mags back
09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Is Ventura completely out of the picture for the radio gig?

ive heard the same story for him as Black Jack, waiting on the kids to get older

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I heard a rumor here in CA that Black Jack might be the new radio guy. If DJ goes elsewhere..

Unless the California courts took his kids away, your source is wrong.

Huh? So, when he is calling a Rays' game, he is supposed to be a Sox homer? He works for the Rays, so he will talk them up. It's not like the Rays crapped in their pants this year....

The guy grew up southside and a lifelong Sox fan and a darn good WSIer.

DaveFeelsRight
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
I hope he finds work. I like the guy but as everyone else here agrees, he's not good in the booth.

Rocky Soprano
09-23-2008, 06:47 PM

You also heard rumors about a ton of trades...

FedEx227
09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I hope he finds work. I like the guy but as everyone else here agrees, he's not good in the booth.

He's really not all that bad, when he does Fox games he seems comfortable and comes off quite well. Ditto for Chris Singleton. It's the guys they are doing it with.

Stone has been great, but those Sox radio games are still pretty brutal, and Hawk has been unbearable this year.

I don't think Stone/Hawk for a whole season is going to work out, they'll be pissed at each other in the 5th inning.

"Where was that pitch?"

"Outside corner."

"That's just poor umpiring"

"I thought it was a fair call."

*5 minutes of silence*

"Why isn't Bert Blylevin in the Hall of Fame?"

"Statistically, his numbers just are not there as far as a HOF pitcher"

*5 minutes of silence*

I can't wait.

Brian26
09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Ditto for Chris Singleton.

Singleton still looks like a deer-in-headlights on ESPN from what I've seen.

"Why isn't Bert Blylevin in the Hall of Fame?"

"Statistically, his numbers just are not there as far as a HOF pitcher"

*5 minutes of silence*

:rolling:

Lip Man 1
09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Folks:

Again I've heard from a very, very good source that Dave is out of the picture (I posted this in another thread when the news first came out about Stone).

He's signed a three year deal to stay in Tampa.

Lip

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Singleton still looks like a deer-in-headlights on ESPN from what I've seen.

:rolling:

You could see it on the radio too.

I don't give a **** how much CLR loves him, he's awful.

DrCrawdad
09-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I hereby volunteer my services to the White Sox to be their radio play-by-play guy.

Hey guys, just think if it were given to Mike North!

LoveYourSuit
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Unless the California courts took his kids away, your source is wrong.

Huh? So, when he is calling a Rays' game, he is supposed to be a Sox homer? He works for the Rays, so he will talk them up. It's not like the Rays crapped in their pants this year....

The guy grew up southside and a lifelong Sox fan and a darn good WSIer.

I think that should be irrelevant to him being a good hire for the job or not.

I honestly never liked his style to begin with nor I have appreciated the way he expresses himself about the Sox in his last few intervies he has done on Chicago radio. It's like he has turned the page on his roots.

puckereduppiet
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I liked DJ, hope he finds a position best suited for him.:gulp:
Working with Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson must have been difficult, it surely sounded like it at times.

clarkent
09-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Folks:

Again I've heard from a very, very good source that Dave is out of the picture (I posted this in another thread when the news first came out about Stone).

He's signed a three year deal to stay in Tampa.

Lip

So who is the new favorite now? Is Rongey a possibility?

alohafri
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Did you hear the games between the Rays and cubs? Wills was so excited about the stomping the Rays gave the Chicago National League ballclub. His southside roots were coming out.

That being said, I have heard rumors (from Lip if memory serves me) that he has signed a long term deal to stay in Tampa. Good for him, he calls a nice game.

Optipessimism
09-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Please no. Nothing against him, but let's bring in someone who knows more about the game than the average fan who played baseball growing up.

Since we have no trouble bringing in ex-Cub guys, why not throw a bunch of money at the Brennaman-Grace duo? Are they still with the D'Backs for TV or are they just doing Fox broadcasts now? I like those guys.

Meanwhile, keep Farmer and DJ around as broadcast "alternates" who can sub in for Hawk when he becomes too annoying.

Rocky Soprano
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM

I hope not.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I've heard they are looking specifically for a former MLB player. Don't know who the favorites would be or even who would be interested.

Lip

PatK
09-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Mark Grace= the suck.

09-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I've heard they are looking specifically for a former MLB player. Don't know who the favorites would be or even who would be interested.

Lip

If they are so interested in pairing up a hitter with a pitcher (like Stone and Harrelson), it would seem to rule out McDowell, in addition to his family issues you've mentioned.

I just hope it's not another green broadcasting rookie.

Who with a White Sox connection (as a player) has some broadcast experience? Not counting DJ for this discussion.

Rockabilly
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Black Jack did a interview here in CA a few days after he filled in on the radio for Stone.

He made a comment that he would love to do that full time... If it was for the Sox or another organzation..

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
No Neck:

The usual suspects I guess...Ron Kittle, Tommy John, Steve Lyons, Bill Melton come to mind.

Lip

Rockabilly
09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
No Neck:

The usual suspects I guess...Ron Kittle, Tommy John, Steve Lyons, Bill Melton come to mind.

Lip

NO Steve Lyons ugh

I think Kittle would do a fine job..

SoxyStu
09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
No Neck:

Lip

Did Cangelosi's name come up before, too?

eriqjaffe
09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
:farmer
"You know, I think I'd really work well with Harold Baines, who did not attend St. Rita's, by the way. Our styles would really coordinate well. How about it, Harold?"

:harold
"___________________________________________"

:farmer
"Couldn't have said it better myself. By the way, folks, don't forget that, if the Sox have to play Detroit on Monday, although I hope they don't, it'll be the feast of Archangel Gabriel."

Rockabilly
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
What about Jeff Torborg I think he would do a great job...

MeteorsSox4367
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
What about Jeff Torborg I think he would do a great job...

On the subject of former Sox managers, how about Bevington?

MrRoboto83
09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Tommy John possibly?

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Melton would be nice but is he willing?

Taliesinrk
09-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Bevington declined due to his training regiment. He's in Canada attempting to jump onto the MMA scene.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I think Torborg would be outstanding. Also cross Ron Kittle's name off the list.

Here's the latest on DJ:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080924&content_id=3541732&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

MeteorsSox4367
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Bevington declined due to his training regiment. He's in Canada attempting to jump onto the MMA scene.

:D:

Awesome. Thanks for making me laugh at work.

Taliesinrk
09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
:D:

Awesome. Thanks for making me laugh at work.

I aim to please..

PaleHoser
09-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Only if they could pair him with Phil Garner.

downstairs
09-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Steve Lyons?

ssirish317
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know if DJ has given the Sox an answer as to whether or not he will accept their offer to join Farmer in the radio booth?