PDA

View Full Version : Regardless of what happens vs. Twins

gosox83
09-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Alright,

So it looks like the entire season comes down to the next three games, or at least the next three games are H U G E regarding whether we play in October.

Regardless of what happens vs. the Twins I must make a confession.

Looking forward to opening day now for approximately 26 years I must admit

that this was the least excited I have ever been as the season approached.

After the Sox lost so many games last year and with all of the deals that

occurred during the off season, I truthfully thought they had no chance

to make it to the playoffs this year. If you would have told me on March

31st that the Sox could basically guarantee post season baseball by

winning one or two games against Minnesota from Sept. 23-25 I would have

been ECSTATIC! So ,as I said, regardless of what happens this series

coming up vs. the Twins this season went beyond all my expectations like

no other season BESIDES 2005 of course.

ANYONE ELSE WILLING TO ADMIT IT??

YOUR THOUGHTS BACK IN MID TO LATE MARCH??

GO SOX!!

tstrike2000
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Was single spacing not available?? Definitely true, though. I had us in 3rd place to begin the season. That we're playing for the division and approaching 90 wins is unheard of compared to our feelings at the beginning. And we'll have something to root for when the Sox open up in Tampa for the ALDS.

asindc
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Alright,

So it looks like the entire season comes down to the next three games, or at least the next three games are H U G E regarding whether we play in October.

Regardless of what happens vs. the Twins I must make a confession.

Looking forward to opening day now for approximately 26 years I must admit

that this was the least excited I have ever been as the season approached.

After the Sox lost so many games last year and with all of the deals that

occurred during the off season, I truthfully thought they had no chance

to make it to the playoffs this year. If you would have told me on March

31st that the Sox could basically guarantee post season baseball by

winning one or two games against Minnesota from Sept. 23-25 I would have

been ECSTATIC! So ,as I said, regardless of what happens this series

coming up vs. the Twins this season went beyond all my expectations like

no other season BESIDES 2005 of course.

ANYONE ELSE WILLING TO ADMIT IT??

YOUR THOUGHTS BACK IN MID TO LATE MARCH??

GO SOX!!

I continue to be perplexed that so many people thought the Sox would not be any better this year than last. For that to have been true, the following would have had to occur, IMO:

1) Dye plays as badly as last year;

2) Contreras pitches as badly as last year;

3) Danks does not progress this year;

4) Floyd does not progress this year;

5) We find no suitable replacement for Crede's annual DL stint; and

6) The bullpen pitches as badly.

I didn't think 1, 2, 3, or 6 had a chance of repeating. Didn't know what to expect from 4 or 5, but even if they turned out to be true, no way did I think the whole team would perform as badly as last year's.

I'm interested to hear from others why they thought the team would perform as badly as 2007.

jabrch
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
I continue to be perplexed that so many people thought the Sox would not be any better this year than last.

Welcome to WSI.

whitesox901
09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
I was cautiously optomistic. im nieve, and i was probebly also in denial

ChiSoxFan81
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I am also guilty of lowered enthusiasm for the season opener. I eat and breathe White Sox, yet still I couldn't muster much hope for this season. Then again, Carlos Quentin and Alexi Ramirez were not names that I recognized at that point in time. However, after their valiant comeback effort against Sabathia, my interest was piqued, and I'm been on board ever since. Interestingly, I did pick the Sox to win it all in 2005 before the season started, but of course it got really hairy towards the end of the regular season. This year, oddly enough, I'm not worried, even going into Minny right now. I've had this strange sense of calm the whole year that they will get it done, although the playoffs are a much different animal.

beasly213
09-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I thought the Sox would be competitive because I wasn't buying into the Tigers and Indians hype.

I didn't think they would be in first place with 6/7 games to go. However now that they are anything besides at the very least an AL Central crown will be a failure.

If the win the Al Central anything besides a World Series title will be a failure.

Jeckle2000
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I find it hilarious how many Sox fans are going around acting like if we don't make the playoffs the season will suddenly turn into a complete failure. Don't get me wrong I want the Sox to go all the way but the fact that he managed to bounce back like this so fast after that nightmare season is impressive in it's own right. We've seen the emergence of Carlos Quentin who looks like he could be our franchise player in the future. We have seen both John Danks and Gavin Floyd emerge into legit major league starters who will be under our control rather cheaply for at least the next few years. We have seen Alexei Ramirez step up into not only one of best rookies in baseball but arguably one of the best IF's in baseball, and again we have him cheap for the next 3 years. And we have done all this without having a real lead off hitter and most of our offense struggling for most of the year. As far as I'm concerned we are only two or three peices away from becoming legit World Series contenders.

hellview
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
That's a **** attitude me boy...If the Sox choke and don't make the postseason it will be a collapse and a wasted season.

comet2k
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Before the season started I picked the Sox to win 83 games and finish third at best. Why? Because I never expected Danks and Floyd to be this good and didn't see either Quentin or Ramirez becoming bonafide stars. I also had doubts that Crede would be his old self or last the season -- about my only expectation that came true.

There appeared to be some big holes in March that had me worried. Despite some frustrations this season, the Sox have outperformed by expectations by a wide margin.

hellview
09-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I find it hilarious how many Sox fans are going around acting like if we don't make the playoffs the season will suddenly turn into a complete failure. Don't get me wrong I want the Sox to go all the way but the fact that he managed to bounce back like this so fast after that nightmare season is impressive in it's own right. We've seen the emergence of Carlos Quentin who looks like he could be our franchise player in the future. We have seen both John Danks and Gavin Floyd emerge into legit major league starters who will be under our control rather cheaply for at least the next few years. We have seen Alexei Ramirez step up into not only one of best rookies in baseball but arguably one of the best IF's in baseball, and again we have him cheap for the next 3 years. And we have done all this without having a real lead off hitter and most of our offense struggling for most of the year. As far as I'm concerned we are only two or three peices away from becoming legit World Series contenders.

The Sox have had some pieces emerge this season, but this isn't a good Sox team. They've been helped more by the AL Central being pathetic as a whole then them being a good team.

When you have the postseason in your grasp and you let it get away it's a wasted season and a collapse.

FielderJones
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
It doesn't even come down to the next three games. The Twinkies need help regardless. They would need the Jndjans to win at least one more game than the Royals win, then they might need the Tiggers help as well.

I'm not saying a disaster is impossible, but I do like our chances.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I had high hopes for this year because in my opinion 2007 was a fluke. We had a winning season every year in this decade except for 07 so I expected a rebound.
Back in the spring I also posted on WSI that Danks and Floyd would each win at least 12 games and most of you disagreed with me.

hi im skot
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
That's a **** attitude me boy...If the Sox choke and don't make the postseason it will be a collapse and a wasted season.

No way.

It's hard to call it choking when they've never had a commanding lead, plus barely hit "their stride" (whatever the hell that is).

I'll be bummed if the Sox don't make the playoffs, but if you can't see the good things that happened this season, I feel sorry for you.

PutItOnBoardYES
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Any word on lineups tonight?

thomas35forever
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I gave the Sox a 75-85 win window because I really didn't know what to expect this year. I did expect improve from '07 because after that, there was really nowhere to go but up. With 86 wins, this team has already exceeded my preseason predicition. To top it off with a division title would be complete. And as others have said, anything after that would be gravy. I still want another World Series ring though.

TDog
09-23-2008, 03:46 PM
... As far as I'm concerned we are only two or three peices away from becoming legit World Series contenders.

I believed coming into the season that the White Sox were legitimate World Series contenders, and I believe that today. Obviously, they have to win the division, which I projected in March as the weakest in baseball (I was wrong about that, not expecting the National League West and American League West to be as bad as they were.) I was wrong about the Rays as well.

I posted that I didn't think Detroit was a very good team and that Cleveland didn't have the pitching to win. I didn't expect Cliff Lee to have a great season. I also didn't expect the Twins to be very good.

Quentin developed quicker than I expected him to, and the White Sox miss him now. Crede proved to be a disappointment. I had low expectations for Swisher, and he has come close to fulfilling them. (I expected him to hit .240.) Konerko didn't play well early in the season. Dye came back as I expected, and I hope he picks up his game over the next month. After a slow start post-opening day, Thome has started to provide what I expected. Floyd and Danks are giving the Sox what I expected. Buehrle was disappointing early on, but I knew he would come back. The bullpen has been pretty much what I expected it to be -- sometimes brilliant but worn down at mid-season. If Fields surprised me it was only that I didn't expect him to get so many at bats.

You always vaguely expect there will be things you can't possibly expect in a baseball season. Aside from injuries to key people, I didn't expect Uribe would be playing third and playing it well. I didn't expect Griffey would be playing for the Sox. I didn't expect Wise to be playing for the Sox, and stand out as a bigger power threat than Griffey. Of course, I didn't expect Ramirez to be a power threat. Just look at the man.

The Sox have to survive this week. But if they do, they certainly are legitimate World Series contenders.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow the "loser" acceptance by this thread is a bit sickening.

Take a look around, the AL Central SUCKS. We are in a batltle with the Twins who IMO suck too. They lost their everyday anchor in Hunter and perhaps the best starting pitcher of this era in Johan this off-season.

I accept the fact that if on March 31 you would have told me that we would fall short with 88 wins and the Indians and Tigers would be ahead of us, I would have said to tip your hat to our Sox for giving us a chance at the end. But this is not the case. The Division was there for us to take it with the great collapse of the Tigers and Tribe.

No excuses.

Win the damn thing.

That's my attitude.

hellview
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
No way.

It's hard to call it choking when they've never had a commanding lead, plus barely hit "their stride" (whatever the hell that is).

I'll be bummed if the Sox don't make the playoffs, but if you can't see the good things that happened this season, I feel sorry for you.

It will be a choke cause the division should have been wrapped up weeks again. The Twins did exactly what we thought they would do on the road...they lost. But the Sox crapped the bed themselves and made this series in Minnesota important when the Sox should be rolling out Owens, Fields, Getz and others on to the field tonight.

It's a choke if the Sox don't win this pathetic division. Do you think Twins fans are content with the season when some people were picking them to come in last in the Central.

hi im skot
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
It will be a choke cause the division should have been wrapped up weeks again. The Twins did exactly what we thought they would do on the road...they lost. But the Sox crapped the bed themselves and made this series in Minnesota important when the Sox should be rolling out Owens, Fields, Getz and others on to the field tonight.

It's a choke if the Sox don't win this pathetic division. Do you think Twins fans are content with the season when some people were picking them to come in last in the Central.

Absolutely.

veeter
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM

It's a choke if the Sox don't win this pathetic division. Do you think Twins fans are content with the season when some people were picking them to come in last in the Central.First of all, Getz is hurt. Second of all, with all the Sox injuries, they've been held together with tape and paper clips. They're hanging in just fine, if they don't win it, it's been one hell of an effort.

TDog
09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
It's hard to call it choking when they've never had a commanding lead, plus barely hit "their stride" (whatever the hell that is). ....

People say the 1967 White Sox, who never held a commanding lead in the American League, choked the last week of the season. After the games of Sunday, Sept. 24, they were in third place, a game behind the Twins and a half-game behind the Red Sox. They were a half-game in front of the Tigers. Five games later, they were in fourth place, three games behind the Red Sox.

People said they choked because they lost two games in Kansas City, against hate A's who were in last place, and three games at home against the Senators, who were in ninth place. The A's and Senators were the only teams in the league that had scored fewer runs than the White Sox. Had the White Sox come home and swept the Senators, they would have forced a playoff with the Red Sox. Had they split the doubleheader and swept the Red Sox, they would have gone to the World Series. They didn't. do any of that stuff. They are remembered for choking. I recall in 2005 people posting about how Mike North recalled how the Sox only needed to win one game from the last five. Consensus was that the White Sox choked. People forget the details. Some people believe the 1967 White Sox choked worse than the 1969 Cubs.

If the White Sox don't win their division, it will be remembered as choking. People will forget they lost a starter to what is likely a career-ending injury. They lost their offensive MVP. They lost their All-Star thirdbaseman. Even if the Sox win a game in the Metrodome this week and end up losing the division, people will tell their kids about how the Sox only needed to win one game in Minneapolis. They had the champagne chilled, but got their butts swept out of town.

In reality, there is no choking. There is one team outplaying another to usurp opportunities. Baseball is a lot easier when you only have to watch it.

hellview
09-23-2008, 04:36 PM
First of all, Getz is hurt. Second of all, with all the Sox injuries, they've been held together with tape and paper clips. They're hanging in just fine, if they don't win it, it's been one hell of an effort.

Everytime has injuries so don't go to that card...I see people rejoicing that the Yankees aren't in the postseason. I don't see people feeling bad for them.

Injuries still don't make up for that fact that they've played like garbage the last month or so.

FielderJones
09-23-2008, 04:39 PM
As usual, Skanberg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2880901989_37d37e9ff5_o.jpg)'s got it nailed.

hi im skot
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Even if the Sox win a game in the Metrodome this week and end up losing the division, people will tell their kids about how the Sox only needed to win one game in Minneapolis. They had the champagne chilled, but got their butts swept out of town.

Which is, of course, completely untrue.

veeter
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Everytime has injuries so don't go to that card...I see people rejoicing that the Yankees aren't in the postseason. I don't see people feeling bad for them.

Injuries still don't make up for that fact that they've played like garbage the last month or so.Why don't take an english class.

khan
09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm always of the mood that tomorrow isn't guaranteed for the team, nor for any of us. We don't know how much longer some of the older guys will still be able to produce in the future. OTOH, we don't know if any of the youngsters will be anything of value in the future, either. We don't know how healthy the team will be in the future. So win the damn thing already!

Before the season, I thought that certainly a few players that I did not know too well would have to emerge for this team to compete, and that's happened.

I thought that Danks WOULD progress, but that Floyd would not. IF they both DID progress, then the Sox would be in position. This too has happened.

I thought that it was an absolute certainty that Crede would break his *****, and that's happened.

All told, we as a fandom may NEVER get another chance to see our team in a position to win ANYTHING. So we should enjoy this. Having said that, its WIN IT ALL, or nothing. Period.

hi im skot
09-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Why don't take an english class.

:rolling:

Amazing.

thomas35forever
09-23-2008, 05:05 PM
All told, we as a fandom may NEVER get another chance to see our team in a position to win ANYTHING. So we should enjoy this. Having said that, its WIN IT ALL, or nothing. Period.
Are you implying that this team will go through a generation of nothing but losing as the Pirates have?

veeter
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
:rolling:

Amazing.I had three kids asking me to help with their homework, give me a break. The irony is very funny though.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
The only way this year will be a choke job is if the sox come out of the series winning 2 of 3 and lose the rest of the games to give the division to the twins.

Other then that I don't think, even though they have exceeded expectations, the sox should finish now. No teams go into the season with a "let's do well and everyone will be happy" attitude. We know the goal is to win the championship, so why should we expect anything less every year?

Unless we are Pittsburgh, then there are no expectations.

lpneck
09-23-2008, 05:17 PM
If you had told me in March that the Sox and Tampa Bay would be playing in October, I would have wanted to know why MLB was implementing consolation brackets.

JB98
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
The Sox have definitely exceeded my expectations. Coming in, I thought this was a .500 club, give or take a few games.

But now that we've come this far, we might as well finish the deal. Opportunities like this don't come along every year, as all long-time Sox fans know.

Cuck the Fubs
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
I didn't think the Sox would be a bad team, and I expected a big turn around from the train wreck of 2007.

What I figured would keep us out of the post season would be the Tigers and Indians having MONSTER years.

They tanked, we played up to par and here we are today.

Now, if you would have told me the Twins would lose Hunter & Santana and still be chasing us down like this, I would have told you that you're insane!

GO WHITE SOX!

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
2007 was an outlier. I said that before the season began, but only the Econometrians believed me.

hi im skot
09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I had three kids asking me to help with their homework, give me a break. The irony is very funny though.

It's all good. :cool: