PDA

View Full Version : Sox Bars in Chicago

pnjguy
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Sup guys, im new to the board and it's great to see so many sox fans in one place, it's kind of refreshing considering all the cub fans that are around us all the time. We have some huge games coming up and would like to see some of the games without feeling like an idiot everytime i cheer or boo. Do you guys know of any Sox bars where i can feel free to be as loud or obnoxious as i want? The only ones i know of are the Store and Halligan's which are in Lincoln Park. Any others? I live in wicker park.

Jenks4Prez
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I have lived on the Lincoln Park due to school and work for the past 3 years and I don't think that a White Sox bar exists up here. If I want to watch the Sox at a bar, I go South.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Holiday Club @ Irving and Sheridan. Good food, too.

SoxGirl4Life
09-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Sup guys, im new to the board and it's great to see so many sox fans in one place, it's kind of refreshing considering all the cub fans that are around us all the time. We have some huge games coming up and would like to see some of the games without feeling like an idiot everytime i cheer or boo. Do you guys know of any Sox bars where i can feel free to be as loud or obnoxious as i want? The only ones i know of are the Store and Halligan's which are in Lincoln Park. Any others? I live in wicker park.

Why would you feel like an idiot cheering for your team?

dwalteroo
09-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Someone on here said Gannon's on Lincoln (just north of Irving Park) is Sox friendly. I haven't been there during a game, but love the bar otherwise.

Gavin
09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
You guys are pretty intimidated. I live in LP and have never had a problem asking a bartender to change one singular TV to the Sox game. I never get **** for it, either.

09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
The Bubble, aka The Double Bubble, 6036 N. Broadway in Edgewater, is Sox friendly. Michelob on tap for $1.75 a mug. Just north of the wonderful Moody's Pub.

Tree Hate Me
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Bob Inn -- 2609 W. Fullerton is a Sox bar.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this a few months ago.

Since you're in WP the closest spot to you is Lemmings on Damen & Moffatt. They only have one TV there but they always have the Sox on. Great beer selection too.

jackbrohamer
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Halligans at 2200 N. Lincoln. There was a story about it in the Sun Times in June, the owner is a Chicago Firefighter from the SE side who has a rule that more than half of the TVs have to be on teh Sox game when the Sox and Cubs are playing at the same time.

Fireplace Inn (1500 N. Wells) also always has the Sox game on

beasly213
09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
:welcome:

ajismyhero
09-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Bob Inn -- 2609 W. Fullerton is a Sox bar.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this a few months ago.

Since you're in WP the closest spot to you is Lemmings on Damen & Moffatt. They only have one TV there but they always have the Sox on. Great beer selection too.

I was going to recommend Lemming's in Bucktown also. And the Bob Inn is one of the better Dive's in Chicago.

Lincoln Square, besides Gannon's, also has The Daily, and last I checked, most of their bartenders are Sox fans, so it's not so bad there.

khan
09-23-2008, 05:39 PM
The beautiful Charm Cafe and Pub on Lawrence, just a block or two east of the Edens is extremely White Sox friendly.

The food is good, and the drinks are cheap too.

DaBears
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I spent a lot of time during the 2005 postseason run at The Store (Halsted and Armitage)... the owner is a Sox fan as are a few of the bartenders. TVs arent the best, but at least you'll feel welcome!

whitesox901
03-30-2009, 01:14 AM
I know your not supposed to bump an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with one already of been started but; are any Sox bars within walking distance of CTA-Subway stations?

DumpJerry
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
I know your not supposed to bump an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with one already of been started but; are any Sox bars within walking distance of CTA-Subway stations?
Yes, but which stations? There are too many to count.

Cangelosi CF
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Quencher's at Fullerton & Western. Great beer selection also! :gulp:

Foulke You
03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
"The Rail" Bar and Grill is right on top of the Damen Brown Line stop. I haven't been there in a couple years but they always used to be very Sox friendly. At least half the TVs were tuned to the Sox game and half the people sitting at the bar were Sox fans. Food was good and beer was reasonably priced for Chicago.

Here is the address:
The Rail
4709 N Damen Ave

cws05champ
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Whenever I have been to the Green Eye Lounge (on Homer near Milwakee/Western) they have had the Sox game on and the Bartenders were Sox fans.

WHILEPITCH
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
"The Rail" Bar and Grill is right on top of the Damen Brown Line stop. I haven't been there in a couple years but they always used to be very Sox friendly. At least half the TVs were tuned to the Sox game and half the people sitting at the bar were Sox fans. Food was good and beer was reasonably priced for Chicago.

Here is the address:
The Rail
4709 N Damen Ave

I second this as a great place to watch a game. However I believe my one issue has always been them going music over sports audio

To the person who had questions about CTA stops, the Bob Inn I think is near Brown line Western.

russ99
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Quencher's at Fullerton & Western. Great beer selection also! :gulp:

I love Quenchers, but for a Sox fan atmosphere, nothing beats Bob Inn a few blocks west. (whoops - didn't see the first page) :D:
Bob Inn is on Fullerton and Rockwell. It's pretty far from the Brown line. If you had to take the L, Blue Line California stop is the closest.

Lemmings is probably my #2 most regular bar, but I go there for the down-to-earth crowd (a rare find in the hood these days) and not specifically for Sox games.

WHILEPITCH
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
To the person who had questions about CTA stops, the Bob Inn I think is near Brown line Western.

Oops I meant the Daily

Thome25
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Welcome to WSI....and good luck in your quest to find a watering hole that is a comfortable place to root for our White Sox!!

areilly
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
"The Rail" Bar and Grill is right on top of the Damen Brown Line stop. I haven't been there in a couple years but they always used to be very Sox friendly.

Does anyone else remember when The Rail was Simply Ray's? Now *that* was a Sox bar.

First bar I ever loved. Oh how I miss that place.

Beer Can Chicken
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Does anyone else remember when The Rail was Simply Ray's? Now *that* was a Sox bar.

I remember it. It was a true SOX bar, SOX signs in the window and everything.
And now the The Rail.....I live a block away and rarely go there, that's how highly I think of it.

whitesox901
03-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes, but which stations? There are too many to count.

perferibly red or blue lines

Foulke You
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM

I agree that Ray's was a Sox bar but The Rail does a decent job of catering to the Sox fans who still frequent the establishment.

kittle42
03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Any bar that isn't in Wrigleyville, and even some of those (such as Schoolyard), generally will put the game on or already have it on. If you walk into a place that won't, walk to the next place.

areilly
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I almost forgot about Crabby Kim's at Western and Waveland. Sleaziest Sox bar ever.

EVER.

doublem23
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I almost forgot about Crabby Kim's at Western and Waveland. Sleaziest Sox bar ever.

EVER.

Obviously you have not been to Jim Thome's aunt's bar on the South Side of Peoria.

SouthSide2Ship
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Any bar that isn't in Wrigleyville, and even some of those (such as Schoolyard), generally will put the game on or already have it on. If you walk into a place that won't, walk to the next place.

ya ive noticed the employees at the schoolyard wearing sox hats/shirts

DumpJerry
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
perferibly red or blue lines
Where are you staying? There are hundreds of bars along the Red and Blue Lines. The previously mentioned Holiday Club is 1/2 north of the Sheridan stop on the Red Line.

russ99
03-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Where are you staying? There are hundreds of bars along the Red and Blue Lines. The previously mentioned Holiday Club is 1/2 north of the Sheridan stop on the Red Line.

And I've been there for a few games. Those guys are hardcore Sox fans, which is interesting considering how close it is to Wrigley.

AnkleSox
03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I've lived in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area for the better part of the past 6 years, and have rarely had trouble when asking to watch a Sox game. Really, unless you're in Wrigleyville (the immediate area, it's not synonymous with Lakeview) the game will probably already be on.

The northside has a LOT of transplants from other states as well as from the southside, so most bar owners realize that there are plenty of Sox fans as well as fans of the Cardinals, Brewers, Tigers, Twins, etc. They'd be doing themselves a disservice by refusing to accommodate fans of other teams.

I watched the World Series clincher at Lincoln Station on Lincoln and Fullerton, and the bar was packed to the brim with Sox fans. Afterwards, the streets were covered with people wearing black and white. Sure, there's more bars that will outright advertise cubs games, but there's probably a good chance that the owner/manager/bartender isn't even a cubs fan, and won't care if you request the Sox game. If he is, **** him, there's about 6 bars per block up here so you can take your business next door.

I might suggest Fearon's on Wellington and Ashland. It seems like they prefer the Sox there, and they have pretty good food for pretty good prices.

DumpJerry
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
And I've been there for a few games. Those guys are hardcore Sox fans, which is interesting considering how close it is to Wrigley.
The owner's g/f is a good friend of mine. She's a huge Sox fan.

areilly
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Obviously you have not been to Jim Thome's aunt's bar on the South Side of Peoria.

Which bar? I happened upon more than a few of them the years I lived in Peoria.

doublem23
03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Which bar? I happened upon more than a few of them the years I lived in Peoria.

Jan's Tap on Fremont 2 blocks west of Laramie St. Less than a mile from the Harrison Homes. :o:

areilly
03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Jan's Tap on Fremont 2 blocks west of Laramie St. Less than a mile from the Harrison Homes. :o:

Ah yes, good old Shankville. Can't say I spent too much time in that part of P-town.

doublem23
03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Ah yes, good old Shankville. Can't say I spent too much time in that part of P-town.

That place was the living, breathing definition of a "dive."