PDA

View Full Version : Playoff berths

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm looking at the standings, and it looks to me like (unfortunately) the Red Sox have clinched a spot. If they go 0-6, they will be 91-71. In order for us to at least tie them, we would have to go 5-2 (assuming we play the make-up game). In that situation, the best the Twins can do is 5-1 (because the Sox don't lose more than two games, so they have to win one of this upcoming series). The Twins would then be 89-73, behind both Sox teams. It's not possible in any scenario for the Twins to finish ahead of the Red Sox.

So at this point the wild card spot is off the table. We are fighting for the division only. Of course, that has realistically been the case for a few weeks now.

kjhanson
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
So at this point the wild card spot is off the table. We are fighting for the division only. Of course, that has realistically been the case for a few weeks now.

I thought about the same thing the other day. For a while there I was watching the Red Sox scores along with the Twins', but that's no longer the case. The only team that has any hope left for the wild card is.... the Yankees? Six out with six to play, but three of those are H2H with the Red Sox. So essentially they're three out with three to play. The Red Sox better not relax against the Indians. In somewhat related news, after last night's loss, Josh Beckett is a mediocre 12-10, 4.03 ERA on the year.

doublem23
09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
The only team now that has a chance to catch the Sawx are the Yankees, and even then, they would have to win out, the Red Sox would have lose out, and then the Yankees would need to beat them in a 1-game play-off.

The moral of the story is, get ready to play the A.L. East winner in ALDS.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I hadn't even looked at the Yankees' record. I thought they were already eliminated for some reason. Wishful thinking, I guess. :D:

doublem23
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I hadn't even looked at the Yankees' record. I thought they were already eliminated for some reason. Wishful thinking, I guess. :D:

Nope, but they cannot win the WC outright in the regular season anymore, they would need to play a 1-game play-off.