PDA

View Full Version : Inexcusable

Viva Magglio
05-15-2002, 10:44 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I was not in the chat room tonight because I was actually at the game in my capacity as a split season ticket holder. You know, for all the money I spend on this team, the least I would expect is a g**damn concerted effort on their part to provide some sort of return on my investment. I realize that Ismael Valdez and John Rockers are having halfway decent seasons, but they are not Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax for Christ's sake! Two hits? We only got two g**damn hits??? Once again, I thought Todd Ritchie pitched a good enough game to deserve a win. Yet, his teammates on offense let him down once again. How absolutely uninspiring they were tonight!

We swung on first pitches left and right, especially late in the game. A three run deficit is like a thirty run deficit to our listless batters. Where's the passion? Is this ballclub even interested in making the few of us who go there cheer for them?

I don't expect us to win all 162 games, and I realize at various times throughout these 162 games that we will not be focused all the time. However, this was only Game 40, and we have gone through the motions too many times already throughout those forty games.

If you think we can just sleepwalk our way to the division title, don't hold your breath waiting for the champagne celebration. I realize Minnesota has a much easier schedule in the early going than we do, but they are not going to roll over and play dead for us. We now trail them by 1 games, and games like tonight's will only serve to keep us behind them. Meanwhile, Cleveland is beginning to show some signs of life. We lead them by only 2 games.

Before we start speculating on what our playoff rotation should be, let's make sure we get there first. Don't dismiss this as a "sky is falling" rant or think we will win this division by default. Winning the AL Central is certainly not out of the question for us, but it is by no means a forgone conclusion. If we don't start playing competitively on a consistent basis, someone instead of us will win the AL Central. And if we win the division, I do not want us to be in and out of the playoffs like we were last time.

I want our team, our franchise, and our fandom to escape this never-ending malaise, and tonight's effort (or lack thereof) only prolongs it.

baggio202
05-15-2002, 11:30 PM
i dont consider your post a rant... i actually think you make some very good points....your right the sky is not falling....but this team does not inspire me in any way like the '00 team...my first thought after tonight's game was...ok..we went 1-1 with buehrle and ritchie...now what???...we need two of three from the bottom of the rotation..anyone confident that will happen???....

if someone could find this stat..id really love to know what our team batting average is in games where after the 6th inning we trail by 3 runs or less...its has to make clayton's average look like ty cobb's best season....maybe it just seems this way but man...every close game we lose its..one,two ,three,one two three,one two three after the sixth inning...

i knew there was no hope of a comeback tonight...i really miss the excitement of that '00 team...no matter how far we were down..they came back enough to make you think that no deficit was too much to overcome...if we are down one run i feel like turning off the tube and going to bed...i never will but i feel like it

duke of dorwood
05-16-2002, 08:21 AM
I was there too-they were so boring that I wrote in a bunch of votes for Walnuts. The worst thing was Lee swinging at the first pitch after Thomas walked, Valentin went 3-1 before grounding out. That was our final scoring opportunity. This Valdez was only in the high 80's. No excuse for 2 hits.

foulkesfan11
05-16-2002, 08:45 AM
Last night's game was really boring. I was there too. I think we need a sharp-shooter for Gabe Kaplar. What's the deal with him? 4-4 & then robbing The Choice of a homerun? We make this guy look like an all-star.

HawkDJ
05-16-2002, 05:06 PM
I wasn't so surprised. This isn't the first time Valdes has pitched good against us and history usually repeats itself, especially against us.