PDA

View Full Version : Beer Cutoff at Wrigleyville Bars?

SaltyPretzel
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1179312,CST-NWS-beer23.article

"Maybe they're going to leave and go home so they don't drink and drive," Orozco said. :scratch:

Jerko
09-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, nobody will drink more BEFORE the cutoff to make up for it..... These rules are silly IMO.

Gammons Peter
09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
:gulp:They want to cut down on beer sales so they stop killing each other (see pg 15 in todays "Bright One")

FoulTerritory
09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
The article did say that the moratorium would be duplicated around US Cellular field if the Sox should make the playoffs too.

Sounds Draconian if you ask me. Weird.

skobabe8
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
The article did say that the moratorium would be duplicated around US Cellular field if the Sox should make the playoffs too.

Where??? Only Jimbos? They cant go all the way to Puffers, can they??

Jesus Christ, we have to suffer because Cubs fans are complete ****ing meatheads and cant control themselves.

kittle42
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
This is just plain stupid, is bad for local business, and won't happen.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Let them try to locate Puffers to ask them to cut off sales......

PatK
09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Someone should tell them there are no bars surrounding The Cell.

I'd like to see them not allow people to hang out around Wrigley during the playoffs, like they did with the Sox.

LoveYourSuit
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Jesus Christ, we have to suffer because Cubs fans are complete ****ing meatheads and cant control themselves.

I think going to Jimbos is suffering within itself.

#1swisher
09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Beer,booze sales, not beer,booze drinking. How many beers would you normally drink during this time?

kittle42
09-23-2008, 11:07 AM
beer sales, not beer drinking. How many beers would you normally drink during this time?

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Someone should tell them there are no bars surrounding The Cell.

They stated that - the "less populated" area around the Cell, like they said on CLTV.

They're never not going to let people congregate outside Wrigley; it's a neighboorhood. If there were homes DIRECTLY across the street on 35th, I'd see it happening. It's parking lots - in their minds, who would want to stand in a parking lot?

AnkleSox
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
As dumb as the Wrigleyville faithful are, I'm sure they'll be smart enough to order a pitcher or 2 per person before the 7th inning. This will probably lead to more drunkenness as people will probably be slamming more amounts of alcohol than they normally would if beer sales would just go on. Not to mention the inevitable increase in rounds of shots right before the 7th.

I think this is a stupid idea and could end up having the opposite effect that's intended.

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
If it's voluntary, why would a bar owner follow the request unless it came with a perk.

The easy way around it is to make people purchase a wristband in order to be served beer during the hour. In that way, no sales of beer would occur during the hour.

areilly
09-23-2008, 04:38 PM
...did anyone notice the article mentioned liquor sales could start up again once the game was over?

Let's be serious, does anyone really see this happening? This reeks more of political posturing than anything else; I suspect this is just Daley and the folks at City Hall trying to show certain international committees they're in a position of authority over sporting events held in their city.

kittle42
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
...did anyone notice the article mentioned liquor sales could start up again once the game was over?

Let's be serious, does anyone really see this happening? This reeks more of political posturing than anything else; I suspect this is just Daley and the folks at City Hall trying to show certain international committees they're in a position of authority over sporting events held in their city.

It's just stupid, and for the reasons stated here, won't work at all. Bars would totally allow patrons to order several drinks and stockpile them before the 7th inning cutoff, just as patrons inside Wrigley actually could do with only minor effort. Plus, all bets would be off after the final out of the game. It is utterly and completely pointless.

The Critic
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
This is just plain stupid, is bad for local business, and won't happen.
I agree with the first two, and I REALLY hope common sense takes over so the third point is correct.

Railsplitter
09-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounds to me like the work of Aldermen without enough stuff to do.

MarySwiss
09-23-2008, 08:17 PM
The thing I found interesting is the article said it would only occur if it was a clinch game.

Clinch game for whom? :cool:

skobabe8
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Let them try to locate Puffers to ask them to cut off sales......

Good god I am an ass.

DumpJerry
09-23-2008, 10:38 PM
It shouldn't happen.

It's called "thinning the herd."

He he.....

SteveFakeBlood
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree with everyone's comments on the stupidity of it, but with the exception of laws regarding DUIs most alcohol laws in this country are stupid (I didn't mention age, because it should be 18).

I do think the awesome aspect of this article is it was clearly enacted to apply to Cubs fans and Wrigleyville and to prevent violence and the Cell was thrown in as an afterthought, most likely after an alderman started clucking about unfairness and bias or prejudice. Reason # 100,000 Cubs fans are not saints- of course, explaining they're not to anyone outside of the Chicagoland area or St. Louis is a completely lost cause. The rest of America has bought into the ESPN propaganda that Cub fans are a higher form of human being. *Sorry, personal frustration at trying to explain to the majority of people in Florida why I'm rooting against the Cubs in the playoffs, I've met exactly one person who has a strong dislike for the Cubs*.

~Steve

kittle42
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I agree with everyone's comments on the stupidity of it, but with the exception of laws regarding DUIs most alcohol laws in this country are stupid (I didn't mention age, because it should be 18).

I do think the awesome aspect of this article is it was clearly enacted to apply to Cubs fans and Wrigleyville and to prevent violence and the Cell was thrown in as an afterthought, most likely after an alderman started clucking about unfairness and bias or prejudice. Reason # 100,000 Cubs fans are not saints- of course, explaining they're not to anyone outside of the Chicagoland area or St. Louis is a completely lost cause. The rest of America has bought into the ESPN propaganda that Cub fans are a higher form of human being. *Sorry, personal frustration at trying to explain to the majority of people in Florida why I'm rooting against the Cubs in the playoffs, I've met exactly one person who has a strong dislike for the Cubs*.

~Steve

Tell them all they have to do is spend any prolonged period of time in the presence of Cubs fans and they will understand COMPLETELY. I know several people who didn't care one way or the other about the Cubs, moved to my neighborhood, and we completely turned off of them by their horrible-acting fanbase.

Chicken Dinner
09-24-2008, 05:00 PM
If they're that worried about it, maybe they should just make Wrigley a dry stadium! :o:

kittle42
09-24-2008, 05:05 PM
If they're that worried about it, maybe they should just make Wrigley a dry stadium! :o:

What would they average after that, 15k a game? :D: