PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be in the Twins' shoes?

TheOldRoman
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
We all know the history the Sox have with the Metrodome. We have had some bad luck (and bad play) in the ****hole this decade. This season, we are 1-5 in Minnesota. We go into this series with a 2.5 game lead and a magic number of 5.

While the Twins haven't had a long history of losing in Chicago, we have taken them to the woodshed at the Cell this year. We are 7-2 at home against the Twins, have have outscored them by two runs per game.

I haven't seen a thread with general predictions on the series, but I am sure many of us are expecting to be disappointed. Therefore, I am wondering who would rather be in the Twins shoes.

Since they have played as badly in Chicago as we have in Minnesota, would anyone here prefer to be down 2.5 with a magic number of 10? Would we have them right where we want them? We would finish the week at home against KC, and the Twins would get Cliff Lee and Co. at home (with a make-up game if necessary).

IMO, I would much rather be where we are now. All the pressure is on the Twins. They have to win at least two games to have a shot, and even then, they still don't control their own destiny.

Tragg
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Hell no. We have a 3 game loss-column lead with 7/6 games left. This "we can't win in the concrete dome" is a bunch of bunk. and if we don't, we deserve to lose this division.
Man up and kick the Twins in the teeth this week.
And for goodness sakes, put good defenders out there and play good defense - dont' give them any runs.

DumpJerry
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Those stinky shoes? No way!

jabrch
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
No freaking way...

They need to sweep us to get into the race. If they lose 2 of 3 they are toast. Even if they lose 1, they are still chasing.

I wouldn't trade spots.

SBSoxFan
09-22-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll take the Sox position any day. Worse case, I think the Sox win one. That leaves them with having 5 home games, if necessary, to win 3. That number goes down if KC can take one in Minnesota. Don't forget Mn went 3-3 during their last homestand.

WhiteSox5187
09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
**** no, I always want to be in first place.

It's Time
09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Not a chance. That said, they probably feel that they will sweep, so who knows?

The Twins have to sweep. If they don't (If they win 2 of 3), they'll be 2 back in the loss column with 3 to play.

socaljeff
09-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Hell no. We have a 3 game loss-column lead with 7/6 games left. This "we can't win in the concrete dome" is a bunch of bunk. and if we don't, we deserve to lose this division.
Man up and kick the Twins in the teeth this week.
And for goodness sakes, put good defenders out there and play good defense - dont' give them any runs.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion. You are 100% correct ... if we can't beat the Twins in their own house, we don't deserve to win the division - it's that simple. And the last thing we want is to put ourselves in a position where we NEED to twin 2 of 3 against a hot Cleveland team that is 17 games over .500 since the All Star Game.

DumpJerry
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Winning some games at the Dump Dome will be good practice for when we go to its twin in Tampa next week.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
If anyone thinks it would be better in their shoes they have problems. Both teams are feeling heat but the Twins are going to be playing with a LOT of pressure on them whereas the sox just have to deal with the fact that if they don't win it there they can still come back home and win it.

crashwave
09-22-2008, 11:15 PM
As a Twins fan, in a word: No.

I would MUCH rather be in the White Sox shoes. The Twins realistically need a sweep to stay alive; if the Sox win even one game at the Dome, they'll go home up 1.5 games, and I can't see them coughing up that lead with a chance to close out at home.

Metrodome advantage aside, this series matches a super-young Twins team with serious bullpen issues (our new 8th inning guy was in Class AA a couple weeks ago) that has beeen losing steam lately against a White Sox team with veteran leadership that has shown their mental toughness numerous times already this year. These aren't the 2003 White Sox; they're tougher, in my opinion. A Twins sweep seems pretty unlikely to me.

AND...if it comes to the Detroit game on Monday, NO WAY does Detroit win that one.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 11:31 PM
No.

But I'd swap Dye & Thome for Mauer & Morneau in a heartbeat.

I'd even throw in Linerbink.

RockJock07
09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Look the Twins need to win 2 or 3 to make this a race. I think the Sox are extremely focused and then know it comes down to these 3 games, win 2 of 3, were pretty much in.

hawkjt
09-22-2008, 11:58 PM
If the twins were coming into Soxpark 2.5 up with 7 to play like us, as a sox fan I would be thinking sweep in our park cus we have dominated vs the twins at home. Starting pitching usually is the difference in series like this and I like our starters just a hair better than the twins.
Win the first game and the pressure will mount even more on the twins.
Javy needs to attack,please.

M & M will keep the twins viable forever. I hate that the Sox will have to face them for another million games. :angry:

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2008, 12:01 AM
As a Twins fan, in a word: No.

I would MUCH rather be in the White Sox shoes. The Twins realistically need a sweep to stay alive; if the Sox win even one game at the Dome, they'll go home up 1.5 games, and I can't see them coughing up that lead with a chance to close out at home.

Metrodome advantage aside, this series matches a super-young Twins team with serious bullpen issues (our new 8th inning guy was in Class AA a couple weeks ago) that has beeen losing steam lately against a White Sox team with veteran leadership that has shown their mental toughness numerous times already this year. These aren't the 2003 White Sox; they're tougher, in my opinion. A Twins sweep seems pretty unlikely to me.

AND...if it comes to the Detroit game on Monday, NO WAY does Detroit win that one.:welcome:

As long as you just want to talk baseball, glad to have you.

SoxSpeed22
09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
The Twins have to sweep in order to make it interesting. This years Twins are much worse than the teams from before. The only reason that they're still in it is because of our injuries, bullpen ineptitude and their .311 batting average with RISP, which has been dropping.
Even though that "stadium" has been a tough place to play. I would much rather be us than them.

oeo
09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
If the twins were coming into Soxpark 2.5 up with 7 to play like us, as a sox fan I would be thinking sweep in our park cus we have dominated vs the twins at home. Starting pitching usually is the difference in series like this and I like our starters just a hair better than the twins.
Win the first game and the pressure will mount even more on the twins.
Javy needs to attack,please.

M & M will keep the twins viable forever. I hate that the Sox will have to face them for another million games. :angry:

Mauer, I believe, is a free agent after 2010. It will be awfully tough to re-sign him then.

btrain929
09-23-2008, 08:06 AM
"If ya ain't first, you're last...."

asindc
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Alright, who's the guy who voted to be in 2nd place, 2.5 games behind (3 in loss column) with 6/7 games to go? Come on now, 'fess up!

asindc
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
The Twins have to sweep in order to make it interesting. This years Twins are much worse than the teams from before. The only reason that they're still in it is because of our injuries, bullpen ineptitude and their .311 batting average with RISP, which has been dropping.
Even though that "stadium" has been a tough place to play. I would much rather be us than them.

There is an article on foxsports.com that talks about Minny's success with RISP. The Minny players and Gardenhire talk about their approach to batting practice as being the key. A few front office guys from around the league are quoted as saying that is basically bunk. Everyone else seems to regard it as a statistical anomaly. I can't find the story right now, but it was accessible yesterday. If anyone finds it, please link to it.

palehozenychicty
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Hell naw. You play to win the division.

guillensdisciple
09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Alright, who's the guy who voted to be in 2nd place, 2.5 games behind (3 in loss column) with 6/7 games to go? Come on now, 'fess up!
Maybe he just wanted to be a non- conformist. I respect that.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Mauer, I believe, is a free agent after 2010. It will be awfully tough to re-sign him then.I don't think so. They'll do pretty much whatever it takes to sign him, and he grew up a Twins fan in St. Paul, so he'll want to stay.

oeo
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't think so. They'll do pretty much whatever it takes to sign him, and he grew up a Twins fan in St. Paul, so he'll want to stay.

You know the situation better than I do, but money always has the last say. And I'm not necessarily talking from Mauer's end, but instead the Twin's end. 'Whatever it takes' doesn't sound like the Twins business plan.

ChiSoxFan81
09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
How about no.

We've been in first since mid-May aside from a couple days of being .5 back. No way I want to be down 2.5 with 6 to go under any circumstances unless it's because of a miracle comeback.

I'm tired of all the gloom and doom about the baggie dome and the Twins. We're not playing murderer's row, and our history there has no bearing on this series. It's 3 baseball games, we have the pitchers we want going. Our history in Oakland didn't stop us from winning out there this year. At worst, we get one game, and we're still in great shape. Let's go Sox!!!

Dice
09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
For tonight(as well as the rest of the series) we need to win these to clinch the division.

For the Twins, they need these just to stay alive.

Right now, I'd rather be in the White Sox shoes.

Iwritecode
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/images/not-me.jpg

pmck003
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Want to make sure this is right; if the Sox win just one game they'll be up 1.5 games going against Cleveland. So even if they win just 1 game against Cleveland and the Twins sweep KC, the Sox will have the makeup game against Detroit at home. Win that, and the Twins come to Chicago to determine the AL Central.

Knock on wood, but hopefully this would be the worst case scenario. If I was to gamble, I'd put all my extra money on the Sox winning at least one game in each series; have to figure either Floyd or Burls step up and dominate one of those games or maybe even Javy reacts and gets it done tonight. Similar thinking in the Cleveland series as well; course if the Sox take one in MIN they could get swept by Cleveland if the Royals can win 1 game against the Twins. I think you would wanna check the lead posioning in your Walleye if you'd rather be in the Twins shoes.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2008, 01:08 PM
You know the situation better than I do, but money always has the last say. And I'm not necessarily talking from Mauer's end, but instead the Twin's end. 'Whatever it takes' doesn't sound like the Twins business plan.I may be proven wrong in the end. I said they'd do "ALMOST whatever it takes." The Mauer family is huge in twin cities sports (I had one of his cousins in several classes; he was on the D-I hockey team.) I think the Twins will pay more than they'd normally pay, Mauer will take a hometown discount, and they'll find a way to get it done.

skottyj242
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
http://angel33sj.tripod.com/funnypics/ThreadSucks.JPG

UofCSoxFan
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Was a poll really necessary for this? I mean as of now the voting is 109:1 against.

Who in their right mind would rather be down 2.5 with a week left? Sweeping a series is very difficult to do against even bad teams, even with homefield advantage.

TheOldRoman
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Was a poll really necessary for this? I mean as of now the voting is 109:1 against.

Who in their right mind would rather be down 2.5 with a week left? Sweeping a series is very difficult to do against even bad teams, even with homefield advantage.Yes, I wanted to show how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. A lot of people are dreading this series, but the task is much more difficult for the Twins. As nervous as we are about this series because of our struggles in the dome, we are still better off that the Twins.

TommyJohn
09-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, I wanted to show how we would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. A lot of people are dreading this series, but the task is much more difficult for the Twins. As nervous as we are about this series because of our struggles in the dome, we are still better off that the Twins.

Psh. The Twins aren't even breaking a sweat.

thomas35forever
09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Amazing how after tonight's disaster, four more people voted that they'd rather be in the Twins shoes.

guillensdisciple
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Amazing how after tonight's disaster, four more people voted that they'd rather be in the Twins shoes.

:scratch:

doublem23
09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Psh. The Twins aren't even breaking a sweat.

Psh, they probably ****ing should be, they have to beat our 2 best pitchers otherwise they're basically screwed.

asindc
09-24-2008, 08:22 AM

I've said this all year: Some people lack a sense of perspective. Anyone who would trade places with the Twinkees right now is nuts. It is always better to have the lead, especially with only 5/6 games to play.