PDA

View Full Version : I would bat Konerko third right now

sunofgold
09-22-2008, 01:45 AM
He is our hottest bat right now and he can carry a team. Dye seemed to bat better in the fourth spot.

Konerko (if he stays hot) could come close to match the production from Quentin. I like Wise in the two hole. And don't play Griffey in CF in big ballparks, Griffey is fine in CF at US Cellular.

I would probably bat Uribe ahead of Swisher right now. Swisher is not hitting right now.

Cabrera - SS
Wise - CF
Konerko - 1B
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Ramirez - 2B
Pierzynski - C
Uribe - SS
Swisher - LF

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I like it, you slot Ramirez up one, which is actually beneficial as well.

captain54
09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Cabrera - SS
Wise - LF
Konerko - 1B
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Ramirez - 2B
Pierzynski - C
Uribe - 3B
Anderson - CF

nasox
09-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I would sit Swisher and play BA because, yes, Swisher is that awful right now. BA's defense would be much more beneficial than even a moderately improved Swisher.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Has this turned into a lineup thread? I'm not sure I like Konerko in the 3 hole, but certainly hitting him 4th or 5th is warranted. Still, Ozzie experimenting with it for a game might not be a good idea. Also, I say give Griffey a try at DH in at least one of the games, Thome's hitting .186 for the month, which is almost as bad as Swisher's .170. Griffey's .244 for the month and .245 with the Sox overall isn't exactly stellar, but he deserves a shot in a big game- after all, we traded two perfectly mediocre players for him.

My idea for game 1:

Cabrera SS
Wise LF
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Ramirez 2B
Griffey DH
Pierzynski C
Uribe 3B
Anderson CF

I agree that with a large outfield to roam in and very fast Twins runners- we're going to need BA in Center.
Keep Swish and Thome as late inning pinch-hitting possibilities if we need some more pop.

~Steve

kevingrt
09-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I would sit Swisher and play BA because, yes, Swisher is that awful right now. BA's defense would be much more beneficial than even a moderately improved Swisher.

I completely agree. BA needs to be in the line up over Swisher.

I also think that PK in the three hole would be nice to see. Maybe something, anything to spark this line up. And PK does have experience in the three hole so that helps too.

asindc
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
As much as I have always advocated for Dye in the 3-spot, PK is probably our best option for 3 in the short term. I also agree that BA should be starting in CF for the Minny games at least. I would sit Swisher (and play Wise ahead of him, batting him 2nd) and sub him in in late innings if we are protecting a lead. No time to coddle egos here.

kraut83
09-22-2008, 08:39 AM
As anti-BA as I've been all season, he should be the starting CF'er for the Twins series.

The Sox need his defense playing on that pool table surface.

oeo
09-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Since hitting the pine the last two games of the Yankees series, Swisher has looked alright. It's looking like he's starting to turn it around.

I could go either way.

esbrechtel
09-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Ha, in the middle of the season I never thought I would see this thread pop up at the end of the season :D:

jabrch
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I'd cut him. He sucks.

kjhanson
09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Since hitting the pine the last two games of the Yankees series, Swisher has looked alright. It's looking like he's starting to turn it around.

I could go either way.

In those ten at-bats, he has three hits, and he struck out three times. To get a grip on how sufficiently awful Nick Swisher has been since August 29th, try to get your head around the following (in 68 plate appearances):

.143 BA
.191 OBP (!!!)
.270 SLG
.461 OPS
Only 5 walks
24 strikeouts (211 annualized over 600 PAs)

In the same stretch, Brian and Dewayne have 65 combined PAs:

.276 BA
.308 OBP
.603 SLG
Only 3 walks
11 Strikeouts (annualized to 101)

Swisher's only saving grace through the first four months of the season was his ability to draw walks. That ability seems to have been lost, and with it, I assume, his playing time.

NLaloosh
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Ha, in the middle of the season I never thought I would see this thread pop up at the end of the season :D:

Did you think we'd be fighting to get Dwayne Wise and Brian Anderson into the lineup?

soxfanaticpaulie
09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
As much as I agree about playing BA in the baggie dome, I don't think Ozzie will do it. He might give him one start...but for as many times where it made perfect sense to me to give BA some starts, Ozzie has baffled me by not playing him just about every time...

oeo
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM
In those ten at-bats, he has three hits, and he struck out three times. To get a grip on how sufficiently awful Nick Swisher has been since August 29th, try to get your head around the following (in 68 plate appearances):

.143 BA
.191 OBP (!!!)
.270 SLG
.461 OPS
Only 5 walks
24 strikeouts (211 annualized over 600 PAs)

In the same stretch, Brian and Dewayne have 65 combined PAs:

.276 BA
.308 OBP
.603 SLG
Only 3 walks
11 Strikeouts (annualized to 101)

Swisher's only saving grace through the first four months of the season was his ability to draw walks. That ability seems to have been lost, and with it, I assume, his playing time.

Compare now to last week, and Swisher looks 100 times better. I'm not even talking about numbers, I'm talking about how he's looked at the plate. Last week he looked completely lost, the last few days he's looked a heck of a lot better. He's the one guy in that KC series didn't look like he was swinging for the fences.

We need Swisher's bat to come back, but with the way the offense has been struggling, we need all the defense we can get...so I'll agree Anderson should be there.

Konerko05
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Moving Konerko to the 3 spot is a very good idea. Cabrera has been swinging a hot bat, and we need someone who can capitalize. For the last month, Dye has been killing any chance we have at a big inning. Move Dye to the 5th spot to take some pressure off him.

thomas35forever
09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
If Paulie continues to play hot, this might happen. You know Ozzie's not going to do it just yet though. Then again, maybe there is less pressure on Dye when he bats cleanup. Couldn't hurt to try it out.

#1swisher
09-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I like it also, shake up the starting lineup.

russ99
09-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I would keep Dye at 3rd. I don't want to see Paul grounding into DPs in the first inning. Konerko's a prototypical #4 hitter.

I'd go with:

Wise
Cabrera
Dye
Konerko
Thome (A.J vs. lefties)
Alexei
A.J (Griffey vs. lefties)
Swisher (Anderson vs. tougher pitchers)
Uribe

barryball
09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I think this is how we should go the rest of the way and playoffs

Against RP or LP

Cabrera - SS
Wise - LF
Konerko - 1B
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Anderson - CF
Ramirez - 2B
Pierzynski - C
Uribe - SS

Is how we work in Swisher if at all and Griffey? I actually feel we need Griffey's presense somehow. Ozzie loves Wise's speed and overall play. I sit Swisher until next year and figure out how to play Griffey but not in the baggie.

russ99
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
I think this is how we should go the rest of the way and playoffs

Against RP or LP

Cabrera - SS
Wise - LF
Konerko - 1B
Dye - RF
Thome - DH
Anderson - CF
Ramirez - 2B
Pierzynski - C
Uribe - SS

Is how we work in Swisher if at all and Griffey? I actually feel we need Griffey's presense somehow. Ozzie loves Wise's speed and overall play. I sit Swisher until next year and figure out how to play Griffey but not in the baggie.

No way should Anderson and Ramirez hit one after the other. They're both better at taking bad pitches than earlier this season, but that makes life too easy for the opposing pitcher.

We'd need a more patient hitter between them, make that pitcher work more...

I'd really prefer Swisher's power bat and plate patience for the playoffs but Anderson's defense would be preferable in tough buildings, like the baggie-dome.

barryball
09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I think Swisher's problem is he is too patient and lets good stikes go by. He does a good job of lengthening his at bats but takes to many good pitches that are vey hittable. I have seem him stikeout way too much and typically without swinging.

sunofgold
09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Puts our three fastest guys on top of the order. Ramirez has been hitting a lot of home runs lately. Does seem though to hit into a lot of double plays b/c he hits the ball hard.

Right now Ramirez has nobody behind protecting him in the lineup. I strayed away a little from this idea b/c Ramirez's average has been down in September and the third hole might be too much pressure for the new guy. However, he does seem to adapt very well.

This might not be bad. Putting a good hitter like Dye behind the Missile could only help. I want to put Konerko ahead of Thome, however I don't really want two lefites in a row with AJ.

Cabrera
Wise
Cuban Missile
Dye
Thome
Konerko
AJ
Swisher
Uribe

I think that you have to keep Swisher in there. He does at least work the pitch count higher. And he does have more power than Anderson right now. Hopefully, he will work himself out of his slump (like PK did). But, I don't mind seeing BA in there.

Griffey has only hit 1 HR in 113 AB with the WHITE SOX. Hate to say this b/c I respect the guy..but do we really need him right now? He cannot handle large outfields. I would just bench him as use Thome as DH. Use Griffey only as a PH for ....Swisher.

jabrch
09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Late September is not when you want to take a rookie and move him to the #3 spot.

EuroSox35
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
OP, your lineup makes too much sense for Ozzie. I would take Anderson over Swisher, but yours still beat what Ozzie put out there today