PDA

View Full Version : Why defeatist?

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Ancient history aside...

Why is acceptable for any member of the Sox organization to either state or imply, seriously or jokingly, in a phone interview or during a meet and greet conf... that we should all probably brace ourselves for another Metrodome Meltdown? That it is therefore imperative for the team to have built a comfortabe lead going into that series?

Are Sox or aren't Sox trying to win the World Series here? Did I blink and miss Blackburn, Perkins, Slowey and Co.' collective greatness? Has Minnesota won 14 of their last 15, leading the Sox by 4 games in the stadings with a week to go, or something?

Colliseum was the House of Horrors du Jour until... it wasn't. (Read: Sox played like a bunch of mangs, not a bunch of self-consious wussies, for a change - and voila, was Damaso Dotel away from sweeping).

I don't see why that HHH-M ****hole can't be next.

whitesoxwilkes
09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Who's with him?

I am!

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Who's with him?

I am!

guess... go ahead... guess... I dares ya... :D:

Time to take the gloves off...

chisoxmike
09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I was talking about this last night. When the Sox are talking about the series in the Garbage Dome they seem like they expect to lose.

Even Vazquez was asked last week about it and said something like "I don't like pitching in domes. So we'll see what happens."

I don't like the way the team talks about it. It's one thing for the fans to talk like that, but when the players come out and already seem to have a defeatist attitude about the series, it concerns me.

We'll see how much of a killer instinct this team has this week...

Go SOX!

WhiteSox5187
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
This is just so remincent of 2003 to me it's scary...having said that, **** '03 and let's kick the ****ing **** out of these Twins!

Bill Naharodny
09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I was talking about this last night. When the Sox are talking about the series in the Garbage Dome they seem like they expect to lose.

Even Vazquez was asked last week about it and said something like "I don't like pitching in domes. So we'll see what happens."

I don't like the way the team talks about it. It's one thing for the fans to talk like that, but when the players come out and already seem to have a defeatist attitude about the series, it concerns me.

We'll see how much of a killer instinct this team has this week...

Go SOX!

It starts with Ozzie. I don't know if he thinks he's taking pressure off his guys or what. And I know that anyone looking at the numbers would say that we ARE bad in the Dome. But you have to be positive. And when you say that you have to have more than a 3-game lead going into Minnesota (as he did), it sounds to me like you're giving your guys permission to fail up there. And you're also putting enormous pressure on your team ahead of the series, which might make them tight. And I think that, both yesterday and today, they were tight; they sure hit like it. (I am glad that they squeezed across enough runs today, and that Danks was awesome.)

Anyway, maybe Ozzie knows his team well enough to play this game. It just seems like, given statements from Buehrle and Vazquez, that they're taking him at face value about their chances up there.

Zisk77
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure what he said but, damn the torpedos, full spped ahead!

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Adele:

I must have missed something, can you please fill me in on what you are referring to?

I will say this, that I spoke with a senior member of the organization a few months ago and I said that I thought the Sox problem in Minnesota had now moved into the mental stage and they agreed completely with me.

It was the result of all the strange plays, the bad hop bounces, the losing fly ball's in the outfield, the blowing three run 9th innings leads they said.

-----

Given that, the Twins still think they can win this. Gardenhire went off according to the Sun-Times Sunday on a reporter who asked him yesterday about giving him a scouting report on the Sox since they'd be playing Tampa Bay in the playoffs.

Lip

Madvora
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM
It seems like every quote from the Sox about this upcoming series in Minnesota is about them losing these games. There is nothing about how exciting it is because we can actually go up there and gain some ground.
I personally have that attitude because I'm a huge pessimist, but I don't get why this view is coming from the organization itself.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Given that, the Twins still think they can win this. Gardenhire went off according to the Sun-Times Sunday on a reporter who asked him yesterday about giving him a scouting report on the Sox since they'd be playing Tampa Bay in the playoffs.

Lip
That probably was a Cubs fan who wanted to get Gardy even more pumped up for this series.

God, I'm nervous about this series coming up. I think we need Da Reverand again.

Foulke You
09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin anywhere
Just a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
He took the midnight train goin anywhere

A singer in a smokey room
A smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends

(chorus)

Dont stop believin
Hold on to the feelin
Streetlight people

:)

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Here's the Gardy story, it's towards the bottom of it, FYI:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1176093,CST-SPT-soxnt21.article

Lip

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 06:28 PM
the Sox problem in Minnesota had now moved into the mental stage and they agreed completely with me.

It was the result of all the strange plays, the bad hop bounces, the losing fly ball's in the outfield, the blowing three run 9th innings leads they said.

It's called 'baseball'. Bad baseball. Bad road baseball.

And if it's true that the team has developed a big-time mental block, then management & coaches are fundamentally failing in one of their biggest responsibilities. Moreover, based on numerous comments & innuendos, Ozzie & Co. may be adding proverbial fuel to the fire.

After 2005 especially, we should all be past that inferiority complex crap.

**** Minnesota; boil the piranhas.

Konerko05
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
The fact of the matter is, they shouldn't even be thinking about the past. Anything that ever happened in that ****hole is over. The past doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that matters is winning these next 3 games. No matter what stadium they play in, the White Sox are the better team. It's about time they realize.

Chisox353014
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
This is not a very good Twins team. We have the lead. It's all but over if we win 2 games.
The Sox should be coming up here thinking that they can leave with the Central Division title in their pocket.

whtsox13
09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Doesn't anybody want to clinch at home? 2005 we had no home clinchers for anything.

hi im skot
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Doesn't anybody want to clinch at home? 2005 we had no home clinchers for anything.

Give me the playoffs or give me death.

oeo
09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
It's called 'baseball'. Bad baseball. Bad road baseball.

Your posts are coming increasingly out of left field. I don't even know what to say about this statement. :nuts:

Marqhead
09-21-2008, 07:30 PM

To arms! To arms!

soxrme
09-21-2008, 07:32 PM
2 out of 3 and we are in, lets go SOX. Have some balls guys this is why baseball is so great:dtroll:

munchman33
09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
~George Santayana

thomas35forever
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
If there was ever a time for the Sox to put the past in Minny behind them, it's now. It's Game 7 of the World Series for the next three games. Play like they've never played in their lives. Kick the crap out of the nuisance known as the Twinkies. It begins now.

Konerko05
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
~George Santayana

Good quote, but it doesn't really pertain to anything in this thread.

beasly213
09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
All right. I'm sick of the Twins, I'm sick of their annoying ugly fans, I'm sick of that stupid dome, I'm sick of their ugly uniforms with their little league name patch on the back and I'm sick of the Sox giving so much praise for them in the dome.

Go in there Tuesday and set the tone. Kick their ass in all area of the game. Defense, bullpen, starting, and hitting. Follow it up again Wednesday, then put the final nail in their coffin on Thursday and come home to Chicago 2008 AL Central Division Champions.

Play smart and play hard.

White Sox White Sox Go Go White Sox! :shrug:

munchman33
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Ancient history aside...

Why is acceptable for any member of the Sox organization to either state or imply, seriously or jokingly, in a phone interview or during a meet and greet conf... that we should all probably brace ourselves for another Metrodome Meltdown? That it is therefore imperative for the team to have built a comfortabe lead going into that series?

Are Sox or aren't Sox trying to win the World Series here? Did I blink and miss Blackburn, Perkins, Slowey and Co.' collective greatness? Has Minnesota won 14 of their last 15, leading the Sox by 4 games in the stadings with a week to go, or something?

Colliseum was the House of Horrors du Jour until... it wasn't. (Read: Sox played like a bunch of mangs, not a bunch of self-consious wussies, for a change - and voila, was Damaso Dotel away from sweeping).

I don't see why that HHH-M ****hole can't be next.

Good quote, but it doesn't really pertain to anything in this thread.

:dunno:

MeteorsSox4367
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Rongey got me a little ticked off on the postgame show when he said that it was time for the "dreaded" three-game series with the Twins. Are the Sox not up 2 1/2 in the stinkin' division?

At this late date in the season, I'd much rather the Sox be up 2 1/2 then having to chase Minnesota.

Beat Minnesota in that stinkin' dome and let's get this damn thing over with already.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
If the sox get swept I would expect this attitude to be in question by all Sox fans. Honestly I believe the sox are going to come out to Minnesota with guns blazing. Someone in that clubhouse will step up and kick them all in the nuts.

Konerko05
09-21-2008, 08:31 PM
:dunno:

I don't think anyone in this thread meant to erase the player's memories.

Adele said.... ".......that we should all probably brace ourselves for another Metrodome Meltdown?"

That doesn't mean to forget what happened. That means to cut the negative attitude and stop dwelling on the past.

Besides, that quote is kind of out of context in a baseball sense. Even if every sox player literally forgot every game at the Metrodome, it wouldn't mean they are "comdemned" to lose. It's not like remembering it is really helping the case anyways.

I see what you were going for there, it just doesn't really work in this context.

DrCrawdad
09-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm feeling better about the Sox chances for holding onto the AL Central lead after reading this Twins blog (http://www.twinkietown.com/2008/9/21/618890/playoffs-the-twins).

http://assets.sbnation.com/community_logos/548/twinkietown.jpg
Thank you TwinkieTown
for making me feel better!

wxkid23
09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm feeling better about the Sox chances for holding onto the AL Central lead after reading this Twins blog (http://www.twinkietown.com/2008/9/21/618890/playoffs-the-twins).

Thank you TwinkieTown

Me too....

If we can win just one I think we make the playoffs as I don't think KC lets the Twins sweep them (KC is playing good ball lately)

SOX ADDICT '73
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Thank you TwinkieTown
"Twins Lose Series, 1 game to 2: Season over. Those results move the Twins from a 2.5 game gap to a 3.5 game gap, and with just three games left on the schedule the math just doesn't work out. That's elimination."

I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but I believe this is incorrect. If the Sox leave Minny with a 3.5 game lead, and get swept by the Toons while the Twins sweep the Royals, their lead will be down to a half-game. Wouldn't that kick in the "if necessary" status of the postponed Tigers-Sox game? If the Sox win that, they're a full game up and the division is theirs; but if they lose to the Tigers, they'll have a one-game playoff with the Twins (at U.S. Cellular, thanks to the coin flips) to decide the Central.

Essentially, if the Sox can take 2 of 3 in the baggie dome, they would need to lose five straight home games (3 against Cleveland, 1 against Detroit, and 1 against Minnesota) to miss the playoffs.

If any of the above is wrong, will someone please set me straight?

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
"Twins Lose Series, 1 game to 2: Season over. Those results move the Twins from a 2.5 game gap to a 3.5 game gap, and with just three games left on the schedule the math just doesn't work out. That's elimination."

I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but I believe this is incorrect. If the Sox leave Minny with a 3.5 game lead, and get swept by the Toons while the Twins sweep the Royals, their lead will be down to a half-game. Wouldn't that kick in the "if necessary" status of the postponed Tigers-Sox game? If the Sox win that, they're a full game up and the division is theirs; but if they lose to the Tigers, they'll have a one-game playoff with the Twins (at U.S. Cellular, thanks to the coin flips) to decide the Central.

Essentially, if the Sox can take 2 of 3 in the baggie dome, they would need to lose five straight home games (3 against Cleveland, 1 against Detroit, and 1 against Minnesota) to miss the playoffs.

You've got the right idea here. The original writer did not even consider the possibility of having to do that make-up game at the end of the season. Its possibility is non-existent to him. The likeliness in that scenario of the Twins making it are pretty small, however. Possibly as small as a team finishing undefeated this NFL season.

Thome_Fan
09-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin anywhere
Just a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
He took the midnight train goin anywhere

A singer in a smokey room
A smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile they can share the night

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends

(chorus)

Dont stop believin
Hold on to the feelin
Streetlight people

:)
:threadrules:

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think anyone in this thread meant to erase the player's memories.

Adele said.... ".......that we should all probably brace ourselves for another Metrodome Meltdown?"

That doesn't mean to forget what happened. That means to cut the negative attitude and stop dwelling on the past.

Besides, that quote is kind of out of context in a baseball sense. Even if every sox player literally forgot every game at the Metrodome, it wouldn't mean they are "comdemned" to lose. It's not like remembering it is really helping the case anyways.

I see what you were going for there, it just doesn't really work in this context.

Especially considering that in baseball/sports in general, "short memory" often times is not only not a liability but an asset.

Except when it concerns the goat-less curse of the HHHM, of course.

Remember, remember
The fifth of September
Gunpowder twinkie and Pohlad...

PS. Santayana should stick to guitar licks.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 10:50 PM

You've got the right idea here. The original writer did not even consider the possibility of having to do that make-up game at the end of the season. Its possibility is non-existent to him. The likeliness in that scenario of the Twins making it are pretty small, however. Possibly as small as a team finishing undefeated this NFL season.

I believe he was speaking more in the metaphorical sense, if the Sox win 2 of these 3 then yes, they technically haven't clinched the division yet, but for all intensive purposes, they have... It would take a complete meltdown and miracle for the Twins to pull it off.

Honestly, as long as they win 1, I'll be happy. If they win 2, I'll be ecstatic. If they win three, I'll be on Cloud 9.

jabrch
09-21-2008, 11:05 PM
It matters not what anyone says...Let's see what the 25 men DO.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I believe he was speaking more in the metaphorical sense...
I thought so at first, having myself used the words "season over" on more than one occasion (the day a beatdown by the Royals let the Twins finally vault over the Sox in the standings; after the Twins' "dreaded 14-game road trip", which found them exactly one-half game further back than when it began; when we lost Carlos Quentin for the season, etc.). But this guy also uses phrases like "the math just doesn't work out" and "elimination", along with no mention of the potential make-up game for the Sox, so I dunno...

It just occurred to me that even if the Twins SWEEP the series, as long the Sox matched Minnesota game for game the rest of the way, they'd still have a chance to make the playoffs (the aforementioned home game against Detroit, which, if won, would be followed by the tie-breaker vs. Minny at USCF). The more I think about this, the better I feel!

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2008, 12:23 AM
That probably was a Cubs fan who wanted to get Gardy even more pumped up for this series.

God, I'm nervous about this series coming up. I think we need Da Reverand again.

:rolleyes: Why does it always have to lead to this Cub Nation nonesense?

I hope you were not serious when you wrote that.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 12:41 AM
It just occurred to me that even if the Twins SWEEP the series, as long the Sox matched Minnesota game for game the rest of the way, they'd still have a chance to make the playoffs (the aforementioned home game against Detroit, which, if won, would be followed by the tie-breaker vs. Minny at USCF). The more I think about this, the better I feel!

I would feel better if the Sox treat the Twins in the upcoming series the same way the Cubs handled (then surging) Brewers in Milwakee back in June.

Step on the twinkie throats & crush their dreams, thank you very much.

Starting with Big Game Javy on Tuesday.

sullythered
09-22-2008, 01:53 AM
I would feel better if the Sox treat the Twins in the upcoming series the same way the Cubs handled (then surging) Brewers in Milwakee back in June.

Step on the twinkie throats & crush their dreams, thank you very much.

Starting with Big Game Javy on Tuesday.
Absolutely. **** the Twins. **** the ****ing baggie dome. **** Justin Morneau. **** piranhas and all other lake dwelling creatures. Let's just sweep the **** out of those guys and be done with it.

Oh, and John Danks is awesome.

BadBobbyJenks
09-22-2008, 03:39 AM
I cant wait to sweep these ****ers

soxfan2504
09-22-2008, 04:41 AM
**** the Twins. **** wussy baseball teams that play in trashbag football stadiums. **** Nick Punto and other crappy middle infielders that kill the Sox. **** people that overpronounce their OOOOOOOs.

And most of all, **** the Jerry Manuel era defeatist attitude (**cough** Javy **cough**). Kick some ass boys!

Hitmen77
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Thank you TwinkieTown

I don't think the Twins' chances are quite as low as this blogger suggests. I really don't think it's hard to see the Twins going 5-1 in their remaining games (at home vs. Sox and KC) while the Sox go 2-4 in our remaining games (at TwinkieDome and vs. red hot Indians). If that happens, we must win both the Tigers makeup game and the Twins tie-breaker game.

This thing is still ours to lose, but the Sox are going to have to really step it up these last 6 games. I hate to say it, but in the end we may end up wishing the Sox had won 1 more game this season (lots of blown games to choose from there).

cards press box
09-22-2008, 08:40 AM

You have the math exactly right. The Sox magic number is currently 5. If the Sox take 2 of 3 against Minny, the magic number will be 1 and, thus, the Sox will have clinched a tie for the division with the Cleveland series and possibly the Tiger game left. Under that scenario, the Sox would have to lose 5 straight home games to miss the playoffs.

beasly213
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
The pressure is ALL ON THE TWINS. Please look at the standings again on mlb.com foxsports.com yahoo sports, your local paper, USA today, your cell phone where ever and they all say the same thing...

The WHITE SOX are 2.5 games up and the Twins are chasing them. I can assure you that the Twins would much rather be in our position than their own. They are going to be pressing and trying to make things happen hopefully a little too much.

Even if the Twins win the first game. Pressure is still on them. They are chasing us not the other way around.

Go get um Sox.

palehozenychicty
09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
The Sox should play well this series, and go for the jugular. All of Ozzie's piranha nonsense needs to stop here. These guys aren't nearly as good as their other teams this decade. We shouldn't be losing to the Twins at all. The Angels don't lose to the A's. They have a superior organization and play like it annually in their division. The Sox need to start doing that in this division. Beating the Twins would set it off.

asindc
09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
The pressure is ALL ON THE TWINS. Please look at the standings again on mlb.com foxsports.com yahoo sports, your local paper, USA today, your cell phone where ever and they all say the same thing...

The WHITE SOX are 2.5 games up and the Twins are chasing them. I can assure you that the Twins would much rather be in our position than their own. They are going to be pressing and trying to make things happen hopefully a little too much.

Even if the Twins win the first game. Pressure is still on them. They are chasing us not the other way around.

Go get um Sox.

Thank You! I've been saying the same thing in other threads for the past couple of weeks. I understand being a bit anxious, but the Sox are simply in a much better position.

The Immigrant
09-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Under Ozzie Guillen, the Sox are 13-9 against the Twins overall and 6-6 at the Humpdome in games played after August 31st . I think we take 2 out of 3.

jabrch
09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
The Angels don't lose to the A's.

Really?

I believe LAA is 10-9 vs the As. And the As are 7 games under .500. The Sox potentially have a better record against the Twins who are 8 games over .500.

After the As completely dumped all their talent, they went to Anaheim and won 2 of 3. To prove it wasn't a fluke, they came home and (last week) took ANOTHER 2 of 3 from LAA.

And again - just to be clear, Minny is 8 games over .500 while Oakland is 7 games under .500.

BoysMom3
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I was thinking about this after yesterday's game when Ozzie said something about bringing poison for the Twins. We don't need them to be poisoned, and it just kind of ticked me off. We just go over there and whoop 'em. They're really not all that. Pfft. It absolutely is ours to lose. I'm a little bit nervous, sure, but I'm glad we have the lead and not the other way around.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 11:46 AM
A.J. had some matter of fact comments today to Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times. Those were basically, "we need to go there, play well and win."

He also had an interesting comment about some of his teammates being intimidated by the Metrodome but he didn't say which ones according to the story.

Lip

jdm2662
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I have to agree. Go into the crap dome with the attitude, we are going to kick their asses. No more mental gaffles, no more being afraid, etc. Kick their asses.

pudge
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
This is just so remincent of 2003 to me it's scary...having said that, **** '03 and let's kick the ****ing **** out of these Twins!

We were fading fast in '03 and the Twins were playing solid. It feels quite different to me. Granted, we're not exatcly tearing it up in September.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Ozzie's piranha silliness & 'marking-it-down-on-the-schedule-as-a-sweep-in-Minnesota-so-we-better-build-a-bigger-lead' nonsense.... is what it is and what it has always been:

A manager of a 120+ million juggernaut covering his ass in the event of (another) 2nd half underperformance.

:ozzie

"Don't look at me. It's not like I mismanaged a roster bursting at the seams with talent. No, it's those damned piranhas... no team can swim with them, no team can catch them"

twentywontowin
09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
We're going to sweep this ****ing thing and come home the division champs.

They have had eight weeks to pass us and haven't done it yet. We're not starting it now.

esbrechtel
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Here Here! :macho: Let's go get 'em!

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Adele:

The team payroll is NOT 120 million.

Lip

Thome_Fan
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Here Here! :macho: Let's go get 'em!

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...
:gulp:

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Adele:

The team payroll is NOT 120 million.

Lip

You're right - it's actually 121-and-change.

(Philly & LAA are pitching in about 7 Mill of that, but it doesn't change much.)

Just 5 short years ago, payroll sat around 50 Mill - in the year we hosted the AS Game, no less. Notoriously frugal Reinsdorf & 50-some-odd dwarfs didn't outspend the Dodgers and the Cubs only to see the team lay down in Baggiedome.

Daver
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
You're right - it's actually 121-and-change.

(Philly & LAA are pitching in about 7 Mill of that, but it doesn't change much.)

Just 5 short years ago, payroll sat around 50 Mill - in the year we hosted the AS Game, no less. Notoriously frugal Reinsdorf & 50-some-odd dwarfs didn't outspend the Dodgers and the Cubs only to see the team lay down in Baggiedome.

You, I , or anyone here have no idea what the team payroll is, just a guess, unless you have done something congress couldn't do and got the team to open their books.

The Immigrant
09-22-2008, 03:58 PM
You, I , or anyone here have no idea what the team payroll is, just a guess, unless you have done something congress couldn't do and got the team to open their books.

Virtually all free agent salaries are disclosed to the media, as are arbitration awards. The "books" have been open for a while when it comes to salaries. The only mystery is how much of the money Philadelphia pitched in for Thome's contract has been allocated to prior years.

You would have a point if that was a discussion about operating profits, but it's not.

Bob G
09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
A.J. had some matter of fact comments today to Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times. Those were basically, "we need to go there, play well and win."

He also had an interesting comment about some of his teammates being intimidated by the Metrodome but he didn't say which ones according to the story.

Lip

I would hope that every player has a winning kick butt attitude going into this series. This is a veteran team and it's ridiculous to be intimidated by anyone at any place.

Daver
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Virtually all free agent salaries are disclosed to the media, as are arbitration awards. The "books" have been open for a while when it comes to salaries. The only mystery is how much of the money Philadelphia pitched in for Thome's contract has been allocated to prior years.

You would have a point if that was a discussion about operating profits, but it's not.

Not really, the media is given a number, how true that number is a guess on anyone's part, but please feel free to believe exactly what is in the newspaper.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Not really, the media is given a number, how true that number is a guess on anyone's part, but please feel free to believe exactly what is in the newspaper.

Now I feel stupid referencing numbers that, apparently, have little basis in fact or reality. :o: :scratch:

Nevermind.

The Immigrant
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM

Now we are well into tinfoil hat territory.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Adele:

I don't want to go into it totally again (you must have missed this earlier) so the short version is this. Mark Gonzales and others have debunked the AP story about the Sox payroll. Gonzo said he knows of at least four contracts that the AP has listed that are wrong and he spoke to those players about it and they confirmed it.

The payroll is closer to 109 million. That may or may not include the money the Angels and Phillies are paying the Sox on the Cabrera and Thome deals.

I just don't think the Sox should be criticized for underperforming from the payroll standpoint. The numbers are a lot less then you have seen reported by the AP.

Lip

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Adele:

I don't want to go into it totally again (you must have missed this earlier) so the short version is this. Mark Gonzales and others have debunked the AP story about the Sox payroll. Gonzo said he knows of at least four contracts that the AP has listed that are wrong and he spoke to those players about it and they confirmed it.

Which 4 players?

Even if true, 110 Mill is still an all-time high for the White Sox organization. Not chump change.

JR & Co. expect results. 2006-2007 may be be written off, but Sox better deliver at least Postseason this year.

Daver
09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Now we are well into tinfoil hat territory.

it is in a teams own best interest to inflate their payroll numbers, because contrary to what the supreme court said in 1922, baseball is a business.

Beleive what you want, I really don't care.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 09:52 PM
it is in a teams own best interest to inflate their payroll numbers, because contrary to what the supreme court said in 1922, baseball is a business.

Is it legal?

Daver
09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Is it legal?

Ask the accountants.

fusillirob1983
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Ask the accountants.

I'm sure a third party auditor knows. Regardless of not being bound by the SEC, an organization that large should have audited financial statements. However their auditor isn't allowed to share any information, but they're likely aware of it.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm sure a third party auditor knows. Regardless of not being bound by the SEC, an organization that large should have audited financial statements. However their auditor isn't allowed to share any information, but they're likely aware of it.

Now is that legal?

SoxSpeed22
09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Uh...Go Sox.

thomas35forever
09-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I just sent this e-mail to Ozzie:
Ozzie:

I've been wanting to send you an e-mail for a long time now, and I figured this was the time to do it.

The reason I'm writing to you now is that I want this team to go into this week's series in Minny with fire, and lots of it. For too long, you guys have been giving the Twins too much respect and it seems like you go into games at the Dome with a defeatist attitude expecting to lose. Go into the series and expect a sweep. Do that and the division is yours. I would love nothing more than to have you guys celebrate in what has been the team's own House of Horrors during this decade. Celebrating at home would be nice, but as you said in Game 4 of the '05 World Series, "Lets go. Right now. Today. Don't wait for tomorrow." Screw Mauer, Morneau, Punto, Casilla, Span, Nathan, Gomez, and everyone else in the Twins organization. It's your year for the division. Tell your guys to play every game this series like its Game 7. The sooner this thing gets done with, the better.

Also, I'm calling a high school football game on the radio on Friday night, so it would be nice to call it knowing that my team is in the playoffs.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I just sent this e-mail to Ozzie:

Good e-mail. Would work better it were in Spanglish, but it comes from the heart.

I doubt it makes it past Ozzie's deputy chief of staff, though.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Wait! Ozzie has an e-mail address? A new world has been opened to me!

what is it if I may ask?

thomas35forever
09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Wait! Ozzie has an e-mail address? A new world has been opened to me!

what is it if I may ask?
He released it to the public in 2005 as ozzieguillen13@hotmail.com. If you're going to e-mail him however, I would suggest doing it wisely.

Adele_H
09-23-2008, 02:41 PM
He released it to the public in 2005 as ozzieguillen13@hotmail.com. If you're going to e-mail him however, I would suggest doing it wisely.

Hotmail?:scratch:

Adele_H
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM

'Permission to fail', is damn right.

Adele_H
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Oh, and all things considered - including Twinkie struggles going into the series, need to sweep, lack of Santana, Liriano.....

anything less than taking 2 of 3 this series in Minnesota would be a disgrace.

I will take it as a personal '****-you' from Ozzie, KW and Co. - to me and to my closest friends & family - if Sox can't win the next 2 games handily.

So what's it gonna be, Jermaine Dead, AJ Pierzncvbnvbnvnikowsky & Jimmy Slowswing? Will you step up?

delben91
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM

I will take it as a personal '****-you' from Ozzie, KW and Co. - to me and to my closest friends & family - if Sox can't win the next 2 games handily.

:rolling: