View Full Version : Pitching matchups for the big three game set

illini81887
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Tuesday: Vazquez vs Baker
Wednesday: Buehrle vs Blackburn
Thursday: Floyd vs Slowey

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm glad Liriano pitched today and the Sox will miss him.

LITTLE NELL
09-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Game 1 is huge since the Twins figure they have to sweep. Javy has to come through like Danks did today and burst the Twins bubble.

DaveFeelsRight
09-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Yay no Liriano.

Jerko
09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
I'll say it now: Javy, ATTACK the ****in hitters. Do not nibble to these lightweights and let the 2 big guys hurt you. That is all. (I know, easier said than done).....

WhiteSox5187
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
If we win just one game we're in great shape obviously, but if we can win that first game, the division is ours. I think the Twins will be crushed and kinda give up if we win that first one...but I'd still rather us clinch at home!

DaveFeelsRight
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I dunno about Baker. He beat us last time in that 4 game set in the dome. I think it was 10-6

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
The only game I'm "iffy" about is Game 1. The other two we have a clear advantage, at least I think so. Javy's performance is extremely crucial here.

Sockinchisox
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Just win one, Just win one.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Just win one, Just win one.
I have a broom in my closet that wants to be unleashed!

Greedy? I know! But, I don't give a ****!

Sockinchisox
09-21-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a broom in my closet that wants to be unleashed!

Greedy? I know! But, I don't give a ****!

Haha, I wish.

Tomorrow is going to be a looonnnggg day.

chisoxmike
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Vazquez pitching scares the **** out of me.

Optipessimism
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Glad we've got Floyd up against Slowey. Slowey looks to be feeling the effects of a long season, but you never can count out a soft-tossing Brad Radke type against the Sox, especially this year's version.

sox1970
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
The Buehrle/Blackburn matchup is the one I consider a "must win".

If the Twins win the first game, the pressure will be on Buehrle to throw a great game. I think he will.

Keys to the series:
Good defense
Keep Gomez, Span, and Casilla off base.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Keys to the series:
Good defense
Is it just me, or will anyone throw up if you hear Hawk mention his love for Gomez ONE more time?

"Oh, he's the type of player you'd pay to see!" :rolleyes:

Optipessimism
09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The Buehrle/Blackburn matchup is the one I consider a "must win".

If the Twins win the first game, the pressure will be on Buehrle to throw a great game. I think he will.

Keys to the series:
Good defense
IMO Wise and Anderson have both out-played Griffey and Swisher so they should be starting in the OF, not only to help our defense but also because of their bats. Yes, I said it.

Keeping the greatest player in the world off base shouldn't be all that difficult because he's still Carlos Gomez, but Span and Casilla, being good baseball players, will be very tough to stop.

The key is keeping Mike Lamb, Adam Everett, Nick Punto and the like off base. The good players will do what they do, but I don't want to see our pitchers falling behind the garbage in the Twins lineup.

JermaineDye05
09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the game that the Sox probably have the best shot at winning is game 2. Buehrle has been pretty good of late and Blackburn has been roughed up in his last 2 starts. With Scott Baker and Kevin Slowey being pretty good all season for the Twins.

SpartanSoxFan
09-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I really, really wish we didn't have Javy going in the first game. Something tells me he is going to have another rough outing which could set the tone for the rest of the series.

munchman33
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
The only game I'm "iffy" about is Game 1. The other two we have a clear advantage, at least I think so. Javy's performance is extremely crucial here.

It's that attitude that's cost us so many games up there. I'm glad our guys are finally realizing it's going to take an all out effort just to stand a chance there.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
It's that attitude that's cost us so many games up there. I'm glad our guys are finally realizing it's going to take an all out effort just to stand a chance there.
Oh, please! My saying it here has no effect on the happenings on the field. :rolleyes:

veeter
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Is it just me, or will anyone throw up if you hear Hawk mention his love for Gomez ONE more time?

"Oh, he's the type of player you'd pay to see!" :rolleyes:My volume will be off for this series.

rdwj
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't know why, but I have a feeling we're taking 2 of three in the baggie dome. It's go time!!

JB98
09-21-2008, 11:54 PM
IMO Wise and Anderson have both out-played Griffey and Swisher so they should be starting in the OF, not only to help our defense but also because of their bats. Yes, I said it.

Keeping the greatest player in the world off base shouldn't be all that difficult because he's still Carlos Gomez, but Span and Casilla, being good baseball players, will be very tough to stop.

The key is keeping Mike Lamb, Adam Everett, Nick Punto and the like off base. The good players will do what they do, but I don't want to see our pitchers falling behind the garbage in the Twins lineup.

Mike Lamb plays for the Brewers now, so I'm pretty confident he won't be on base during this three-game set.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 12:02 AM
I love how people are expecting only one game here. I believe this can and will be the series that the sox break out and finally show why they should be a playoff team. Look for 2 of 3 or a sweep.

Yet again, I will probably be wrong, but I choose to be optimistic.

IronFisk
09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Vazquez pitching scares the **** out of me.

ditto - I predict doom game 1.

the other 2 are doable.

cws05champ
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
All three Twins pitchers we face have much better ERA's at home than on the road. I hope that we at least split the 1st two and hopefully win the rubber game. I'd love a sweep but I just don't see it unless the Sox offense goes bonkers.

Konerko05
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
It's going to get really ugly here if the Sox lose that first game.

If that's the case, I just hope the Sox don't curl up into defensive mode.

The first game is so huge for the psyche of everyone involved. It might dictate the rest of the series.

Sockinchisox
09-22-2008, 12:56 AM
My volume will be off for this series.

Same, TV will be muted the entire series.

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2008, 01:00 AM
If we win just one game we're in great shape obviously, but if we can win that first game, the division is ours. I think the Twins will be crushed and kinda give up if we win that first one...but I'd still rather us clinch at home!

I actually prefer to win it and sweep Minn there if we can.

1. Break their hearts for good.
2. Mentally it would be a huge boost for our club to win a a big road series versus a winning club at a dome (playing TB in the first round). This will be huge for a play off series we start on the road.

EuroSox35
09-22-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm not that worried, this team doesn't have the type of personality to shake or be nervous about a series. A sweep is a much bigger priority to them anyways, if they take the right mindset they can come in without a lot of pressure.

I think the game 1 result will be on the shoulder of the offense, get to Baker and we win. I expect to be game 2 to be high scoring, so I'm hoping Mark can step up. Game 3 I don't expect to score as much, so a bounce back game please Gavin.

I will also be watching on mute, I don't want to hear Hawk's Twin love, AND if there is one error or anything good going the Twins way, I don't want to hear crying about 'woe is us/only in the dome' crap

Bucky F. Dent
09-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Javy's performance will be critical.

He's been so damned hot & cold this year.

cburns
09-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Baker: 3.28 ERA, 1.06 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 7/31 and gave up 4 ER in 6 IP.

Blackburn: 2.92 ERA, 1.19 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 4/30 and gave up 3 ER in 7 IP.

Slowey: 3.04 ERA, 0.90 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 7/28 and pitched a complete game shut out.

That's likely what we will be dealing with this series against the Twins. It should be noted that we have lit up each of these pitchers at the Cell, so who knows what could happen. As always it will come down to pitching, hopefully the bullpen will be there for us. We will need Logan, Ramirez, and Thorton to get the job done against Mauer and Morneau especially.

Javy: 4.85 ERA on the road, 1.48 WHIP, hasn't pitched at Minnesota yet this season but was pretty good there last year and awful the year before.

Buerhle: 5.14 ERA away, 1.49 WHIP, pitched against Slowey on 7/28 to the tune of 4 ER in 5 IP. However, as mentioned in other places Mark has had good success in the Metrodome.

Gavin: 4.04 ERA away, 1.38 WHIP, has went twice on the road against the Twins, first time on 4/29 with 3 ER in 6 IP and then on 7/30 with 1 ER in 7.2 IP.

From these numbers Gavin looks to have the best chance against the Twins in the Metrodome. Javy will really need to sack up Tuesday night. I was hoping the Sox would have a 3.5 game lead going into the series for the worst case scenario but at the end of the day the Sox control their own destiny. Take care of business in this series so us fans don't have to sweat out facing the Indians and specifically Cliff Lee.

minastirith67
09-22-2008, 01:57 AM
When's the last time the Sox swept the Twins in the Metrodome? Or has it ever happened?

TDog
09-22-2008, 02:01 AM
The last time the Sox visited Metrodome, they lost three of four and left with a half-game lead. The Sox started three lefties to neutralize the good Twins lefty hitters, but the only game they won was started by Floyd, who pitched quite well. The first game wasn't close, which is how it usually goes in the Metrodome. Few teams adjust to the Metrodome well enough to win the first game of a series there. It's one of the reasons the Twins have such a solid homefield advantage.

I hope that having made two trips to the Metrodome already, the Sox have played there enough to diminish the first-game edge.

The Twins went 3-3 during their last six-game homestand. And they were playing the Tigers and Royals with Liriano starting twice. For this homestand, they face the White Sox and Royals with Liriano starting just once.

There is no reason for Twins fans to feel confident tonight.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2008, 03:11 AM
We've never been good in the Dome, the Twins will always be in it- and frankly, as long as they cruelly destroy our hopes and dreams almost every season they earn all the "Twin love" and respect Hawk and Ozzie give them.

That said, I'm pretty thrilled about the three pitchers we have going out there. Javy actually has beat the Twins both times he faced them, granted both were at the Cell and once wasn't a quality start, but his first three starts of this month were fantastic (and the advantage of his bad start against the Yankees was that it was shorter than usual, so hopefully he'll have a little bit more energy). I'm still worred, but I'm more worried about us against Baker at the Dome.

Buehrle is 21-12 in his career against the Twins and remains the heart, soul and guts of this pitching staff- even if he doesn't have his best stuff he'll keep us in a position to win. And Gavin Floyd is the biggest big game starter we have, besides the near no-hitter (one of the few Sox WINS I made it to this year)- he singlehandedly saved us from a 4 game sweep and has been there exactly when we needed him all year (I'm too lazy to look it up, but it seems like he's always winning rubber matches or preventing sweeps...).

I think we'll win either 1 or 2... I don't think we're going to clinch in Minnesota- but we're going to maintain a cushion and take care of business against Cleveland. Hopefully, I'm wrong and we can kick this getting embarrassed at the Dome business once and for all.

Even though it hurts to keep another Righty in the line-up, I'd like to see Konerko in the line-up for at least two of these games- he's been quietly having a big September... and Don't look now, but his season stats are pretty much what Joe Crede's are. Clearly we need to keep DeWayne Wise in Left every game since he's magically absorbed some of Carlos Quentin's powers. Other than that, I'm happy with whatever Ozzie does.

Sorry for the epic post. I'm seriously Sox-deprived living down in Florida, which is one of the reasons I decided to start posting here again. I'm considering buying the MLB.TV package solely to watch these three games. I've gotten by on Gametracker and box scores until now... but things are getting intense.

~Steve

chaerulez
09-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Much deal was made about how the team set it's rotation to make sure our best starters were going to pitch this three game series. If that's true why is Vazquez pitching game 1 and not Danks? I'd rather have Danks-Floyd-Buerhle. Danks has been our best pitcher the entire year. Oh well, here's to hoping Vazquez proves me wrong.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Much deal was made about how the team set it's rotation to make sure our best starters were going to pitch this three game series. If that's true why is Vazquez pitching game 1 and not Danks? I'd rather have Danks-Floyd-Buerhle. Danks has been our best pitcher the entire year. Oh well, here's to hoping Vazquez proves me wrong.

Yeah, I'm still thrilled with match-ups but you're right Danks has been better than Javy. My theory is that it's Ozzie saying to Javy "You're a 32-year-old veteran making a lot of money, prove you deserve it in a big game" or maybe a more respectful "You did it for us last year and you're the oldest guy in the rotation- you earned this important start". Danks has been a better pitcher this year than Javy, but I think this is a way of taking some of the pressure off Danks- plus I like having him open in the Cleveland series. If they can't do the job against the Twins, he's there in reserve to hopefully clinch in the first game vs. The Tribe.

~Steve

TDog
09-22-2008, 04:47 AM
... Danks has been our best pitcher the entire year. Oh well, here's to hoping Vazquez proves me wrong.

Danks has pitched in three games against the Twins this year. His worst outing of the year was against the Twins in April. A game at the end of July was among his worst outings of the year. His ERA against the Twins this year is 7.91. Twins hitters are hitting .349 against him and that is factoring in a win durin the sweep at the Cell where he didn't pitch badly. As the Sox were setting up their rotation for the last week of the season, I believe not starting Danks against the Twins was a priority. Insead, Danks is sheduled to start against Indians next Friday. The Indians are hitting .209 against him, and in his three games against Cleveland, he has an ERA of 2.89.

Vazquez hasn't pitched great against the Twins, who have hit .320 against him, but his ERA is nearly three runs lower. No matter how Vazquez pitches against the Twins, it is apparent the sox expect to hae a better chance behind him than Danks.

cws05champ
09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Danks has pitched in three games against the Twins this year. His worst outing of the year was against the Twins in April. A game at the end of July was among his worst outings of the year. His ERA against the Twins this year is 7.91. Twins hitters are hitting .349 against him and that is factoring in a win durin the sweep at the Cell where he didn't pitch badly. As the Sox were setting up their rotation for the last week of the season, I believe not starting Danks against the Twins was a priority. Insead, Danks is sheduled to start against Indians next Friday. The Indians are hitting .209 against him, and in his three games against Cleveland, he has an ERA of 2.89.

Vazquez hasn't pitched great against the Twins, who have hit .320 against him, but his ERA is nearly three runs lower. No matter how Vazquez pitches against the Twins, it is apparent the sox expect to hae a better chance behind him than Danks.
I love it when you analyze!! :smile:

doublem23
09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
When's the last time the Sox swept the Twins in the Metrodome? Or has it ever happened?

June 29 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200406290.shtml), June 30 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200406300.shtml), and July 1 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200407010.shtml), 2004.

asindc
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
The last time the Sox visited Metrodome, they lost three of four and left with a half-game lead. The Sox started three lefties to neutralize the good Twins lefty hitters, but the only game they won was started by Floyd, who pitched quite well. The first game wasn't close, which is how it usually goes in the Metrodome. Few teams adjust to the Metrodome well enough to win the first game of a series there. It's one of the reasons the Twins have such a solid homefield advantage.

I hope that having made two trips to the Metrodome already, the Sox have played there enough to diminish the first-game edge.

The Twins went 3-3 during their last six-game homestand. And they were playing the Tigers and Royals with Liriano starting twice. For this homestand, they face the White Sox and Royals with Liriano starting just once.

There is no reason for Twins fans to feel confident tonight.

I've said this all along: We should not be fretting about our position relative to the Twins, they are the ones who should be nervous. With all the injuries the Sox have sustained in the last two months, they have not been able to capitalize, even with getting Liriano back. Hats off for them for coming back last Thursday against the Rays and hanging up a 5-spot in the 9th, since it probably preserved any real shot for them. Bottom line is, though, they can't afford to lose more than 1 game against the Sox.

During the successful Sox seasons, the team has won important games up there late in the season. This team is capable of it as well. Go Go White Sox!

ajismyhero
09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
I've said this all along: We should not be fretting about our position relative to the Twins, they are the ones who should be nervous. With all the injuries the Sox have sustained in the last two months, they have not been able to capitalize, even with getting Liriano back. Hats off for them for coming back last Thursday against the Rays and hanging up a 5-spot in the 9th, since it probably preserved any real shot for them. Bottom line is, though, they can't afford to lose more than 1 game against the Sox.

During the successful Sox seasons, the team has won important games up there late in the season. This team is capable of it as well. Go Go White Sox!

Good attitude! We must remember that WE are in first place right now and that it's the Twins who are scrambling!

Carolina Kenny
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Here is my take. I sure hope I'm completely wrong.

I just feel that Javy is doomed to be the classic just good enough to lose pitcher. If he runs true to form, he will KO 7-10 but after two are out in the 7th will give up a crappy metrodome type hit and then another couple of hits after that to lose the game.

Burls will go down in history as a fan favorite and one of those rare guys that pitches for a long long time on the South Side. After Javy craps in his pants in the first game, all the pressure will be on Burhle. This is why he got the big contract, and why Ozzie trusts in him. That said he gives up a lot of hits and hard hit balls. I think this is another loss as the Sox get down early and can't catch up.

Gavin has in many ways been our best starter this year. He has however given up a ton of HR's. With all the pressure in the world on him Gavin implodes. This is another loss and a big one as the Sox look dead and get shut down.

Then its on to the hottest team in the AL, the Indians.

It's never easy.

chisoxmike
09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Baker: 3.28 ERA, 1.06 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 7/31 and gave up 4 ER in 6 IP.

Blackburn: 2.92 ERA, 1.19 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 4/30 and gave up 3 ER in 7 IP.

Slowey: 3.04 ERA, 0.90 WHIP at home, faced the Sox in the Metrodome on 7/28 and pitched a complete game shut out.

That's likely what we will be dealing with this series against the Twins. It should be noted that we have lit up each of these pitchers at the Cell, so who knows what could happen. As always it will come down to pitching, hopefully the bullpen will be there for us. We will need Logan, Ramirez, and Thorton to get the job done against Mauer and Morneau especially.

Javy: 4.85 ERA on the road, 1.48 WHIP, hasn't pitched at Minnesota yet this season but was pretty good there last year and awful the year before.

Buerhle: 5.14 ERA away, 1.49 WHIP, pitched against Slowey on 7/28 to the tune of 4 ER in 5 IP. However, as mentioned in other places Mark has had good success in the Metrodome.

Gavin: 4.04 ERA away, 1.38 WHIP, has went twice on the road against the Twins, first time on 4/29 with 3 ER in 6 IP and then on 7/30 with 1 ER in 7.2 IP.

Wow.

:ohno:

Jim Shorts
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM

I just feel that Javy is doomed to be the classic just good enough to lose pitcher. If he runs true to form, he will KO 7-10 but after two are out in the 7th will give up a crappy metrodome type hit and then another couple of hits after that to lose the game.

Burls will go down in history as a fan favorite and one of those rare guys that pitches for a long long time on the South Side. After Javy craps in his pants in the first game, all the pressure will be on Burhle. This is why he got the big contract, and why Ozzie trusts in him. That said he gives up a lot of hits and hard hit balls. I think this is another loss as the Sox get down early and can't catch up.

Gavin has in many ways been our best starter this year. He has however given up a ton of HR's. With all the pressure in the world on him Gavin implodes. This is another loss and a big one as the Sox look dead and get shut down.

It's never easy.

Your take sucks.

:wink:

delben91
09-22-2008, 12:12 PM

It's never easy.

Outstanding.

Saved me a bunch of time since now I don't even have to watch the games this week. Make sure you let BP know so that they can update their absurd playoff percentages.

sox102
09-22-2008, 12:23 PM

It's never easy.

Wow. No faith in the Sox, huh? *****! Sox are going to the playoffs this year and are going to win 2 of 3 and clinch on Friday night at home. I'll be there to see it!!!

DaveFeelsRight
09-22-2008, 12:26 PM

From these numbers Gavin looks to have the best chance against the Twins in the Metrodome. Javy will really need to sack up Tuesday night. I was hoping the Sox would have a 3.5 game lead going into the series for the worst case scenario but at the end of the day the Sox control their own destiny. Take care of business in this series so us fans don't have to sweat out facing the Indians and specifically Cliff Lee.Oh yuck. But hopefully the pitchers throw back to back to back perfect games :thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 12:33 PM

It's never easy.
So, in essence, Javy, Buehrle, and Floyd will **** the bed, while Baker, Blackburn, and Slowey will be "world-beaters" themselves?

Unreal!

Remember, all of the pressure is on the Twins at this point. It's all but over if they don't sweep this coming series.

khan
09-22-2008, 12:44 PM

I just feel that Javy is doomed to be the classic just good enough to lose pitcher.

Burls will go down in history as a fan favorite and one of those rare guys that pitches for a long long time on the South Side. After Javy craps in his pants in the first game, all the pressure will be on Burhle.

Gavin has in many ways been our best starter this year. He has however given up a ton of HR's. With all the pressure in the world on him Gavin implodes.

And here's my take:

Tuesday: Javy has a shaky start, giving up 3 runs in the first inning. But it doesn't matter: Alexei re-energizes his R.O.Y. candidacy by hitting for the cycle, stealing 2 bases, and winning the game with a 9th-inning 2 run HR. Sox win, 7-6. Magic number: 3.

Wednesday: Buehrle(sp.) pitches an absolute GEM, taking a shutout into the 7th inning. Dotel and Linebrink crap their pants, and let in 2 runs. But it doesn't matter: Wise comes to the rescue, continuing his hot hitting streak by hitting a 2 run HR to tie the game. Later, in extra innings, Bourgeois(sp.) saves the day first with a diving catch in the 10th inning with men on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs, and then by getting on with a leadoff double. He is then driven in by AJ with a sharp single down the RF line off the wiltering Joe Nathan. Sox win, 4-3. Magic number: 1

Thursday: Gavin Floyd has a rough start, giving up a 3 run HR to Joe Mauer in the 1st inning, then proceeds to shut the door for the next 5 innings. Meanwhile, the White Sox's determined offense picks up a run in the 3rd, via a Ramirez double, a fielders' choice, and a sacrifice by Uribe. In the 5th, Jermaine Dye goes deep for his 1st HR in over a month, to bring the score to 3-2. In the 8th inning, Griffey, who had been riding pine due to the craptacular turf surface, takes Nathan deep in a rare pinch-hitting appearance, with Cabrera on 1st. Bobby closes down the Twinkies in a 4-out save appearance. Sox win, 4-3. Sox clinch the AL Central.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, Khan drinks heartily, and cancels all client appointments for friday. And there was much rejoicing.

chisoxmike
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
For all we know Vazquez will be stellar and Buehrle will be horse****.

Who knows.

Go Sox!

:gulp:

asindc
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM

It's never easy.

Ummm... did you have your morning coffee today?

RockJock07
09-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Anyway you slice, Javy sets the tone for this series, he needs to cowboy the **** up.

gobears1987
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
June 29 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200406290.shtml), June 30 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200406300.shtml), and July 1 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200407010.shtml), 2004.
I believe the July 1st game was the game where Garland was against Santana. Garland gave up a solo shot in the first and Caballo hit a 2 run shot to left in the top half of the same frame. No one scored the rest of the game and Shingo got the save.

Dibbs
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Predictions crack me up.

Jurr
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
However it goes, there's no better fun than watching playoff-style baseball and having your team in the middle of it. GO SOX!