PDA

View Full Version : Final Game at Yankee Stadium

doublem23
09-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Totally Meaningless... Are you watching?

SoxandtheCityTee
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Nope. Entourage, Mad Men, and the portions of the Emmys that I am interested in. Those overlong award shows are perfect for the DVR . . . .

I want Mags back
09-21-2008, 04:18 PM
be watching Entourage, but I am DVR'ing it to watch at least the ceremonies and important parts with friend who is yankees fan tomorrow.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm going to watch the entire game. I think it is a shame that they are tearing down an institution such as Yankee Stadium. For less money, they could have played at Shea, while the Mets play at Citi Field, and restored the Stadium to its past glory.

It's really an indictment on our society that we can dispose of our history with a blink of an eye. Then the Yanks play up this being the last season like they are showing respect. If they were sincere, and thought it so important, they wouldn't be leveling it in the first place: the park was deemed structurally sound. I'm glad I had my chance to go there last week, but I mourn for our loss.

I want Mags back
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm going to watch the entire game. I think it is a shame that they are tearing down an institution such as Yankee Stadium. For less money, they could have played at Shea, while the Mets play at Citi Field, and restored the Stadium to its past glory.

It's really an indictment on our society that we can dispose of our history with a blink of an eye. Then the Yanks play up this being the last season like they are showing respect. If they were sincere, and thought it so important, they wouldn't be leveling it in the first place: the park was deemed structurally sound. I'm glad I had my chance to go there last week, but I mourn for our loss.

and where would people park

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM

They don't play many games at home at the same time. They shared Shea in 70s while they rebuilt Yankee stadium. So really, they both can play at Citi Field.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
It's really an indictment on our society that we can dispose of our history with a blink of an eye.

It would be an even bigger indictment, IMO, if our society were unable to advance.

I want Mags back
09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
They don't play many games at home at the same time. They shared Shea in 70s while they rebuilt Yankee stadium. So really, they both can play at Citi Field.

no, as in im sure they want to take down shea to create parking for Citi. Both playing at Citi would be the logical thing

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
It would be an even bigger indictment, IMO, if our society were unable to advance.

Yes, but you have to define advancement. I think a reasonable person can draw a distinction between progress in medicine and technology and institutions that mean something to people on a different level. It's foolish to think you are advancing every time you create something new. Yankee Stadium can be refurbished to meet modern needs while keeping its history in tact.

SaltyPretzel
09-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I went to a game last year, so that was my good-bye. The real stadium was torn down in the mid 70's.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 05:07 PM
You better believe I'll be watching this one. A small part of my heart is being tugged. I unfortunately never got to a game there.

alohafri
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Last game at Yankee Stadium. It's baseball. I'll watch.

getonbckthr
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Football.

Chisox353014
09-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Couldn't care less, really. Hopefully they lose and get officially eliminated. That'd be funny.

Sox It To Em
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM
You better believe I'll be watching this one. A small part of my heart is being tugged. I unfortunately never got to a game there.

Same here.

I'm getting teary-eyed watching all these greats. I'm obviously not a Yankee fan, but as a baseball fan, I have to appreciate the history.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
They just finished with the tribute to the pitcher's and no mention of Roger Clemens. Yet, mentions of Doc Gooden, Jimmy Key, David Wells, El Duque. Anyone know if there was an attempt to shut Clemens out of this?

soxfan2504
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
As much as I hate the Spank-mees, I think I'm utterly hooked by this. My hatred does not get in the way of my respect for the history that has taken place at YS. I got chills when I came home from the gym and turned on the pregame ceremonies. Babe Ruth's daughter throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, not to mention almost every living Yankee great is in the building? Holy ****.

That said, I still want to see the Yank-its lose badly to officially eliminate them, it smells like karma to me. The mere fact that their higher ups want to abandon this place just so they can make even more $$$ at the new site disgusts me.

It' s NYC, where half the people take the subway anyways, so there would be less of a need for parking, even for those who would come east of Flushing (via commuter rail, ala Metra) on Long Island. Greater density=less room for parking, but makes transit work infinitely better than in the burbs. It's precisely why the Urinal can afford to go without any official parking; there's a ton of people that can get there just by walking (or from further out, bus or train) because so many people are so close. It's one of my official counters to loser Cub fans who brag about attendance.

Yet it is the one thing that I'm jealous of Cub, er, Wrigley Field fans about. To me, it's a damn shame that the Cell is surrounded by an oversupply sea of parking, on which some semblance of an urban environment could be created.

Ideally, one without an oversupply of yuppies.

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2008, 08:03 PM
None of the above.

I care about the NFL as much as I do about the Yankees. Zero on both. :cool:

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I had to go with in-and-out. After all, the Packers are on.:gulp:

MarySwiss
09-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I had to go with in-and-out. After all, the Packers are on.:gulp:

And holding their own, Miller! Go, Pack!

I'm a Bears fan first, but a Pack fan second. (We had a summer home in Montello, Wisc., for 13 years.)

And whether you're a Pack fan or not, you have to give props to Rodgers who handled himself with dignity and grace during the whole Favre carnival.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 08:18 PM
And holding their own, Miller! Go, Pack!

I'm a Bears fan first, but a Pack fan second. (We had a summer home in Montello, Wisc., for 13 years.)

And whether you're a Pack fan or not, you have to give props to Rodgers who handled himself with dignity and grace during the whole Favre carnival.

Rodgers is an aloof, modern day Hamlet who can't shave his own beard let alone run a West Coast offense.

MeteorsSox4367
09-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I watched some of the ceremony and will check out some of the game. I hate the Yankees, but I'm a huge baseball history geek. When they announced the pitchers from the past, where the hell was Jim Bouton? He pitched well for the Yankees and wrote my favorite book of all-time, Ball Four.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Same here.

I'm getting teary-eyed watching all these greats. I'm obviously not a Yankee fan, but as a baseball fan, I have to appreciate the history.
I have to admit, I got a little teary-eyed myself. The overcommercialization of sports has allowed things like this to happen.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Ha, did anyone else just see that "There's only one October." commercial featuring ONLY our very own Sox?! Beautifully done, JD! :D:

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I have to admit, I got a little teary-eyed myself. The overcommercialization of sports has allowed things like this to happen.

Allowed things like what to happen?

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Reggie Jackson just said that Steinbrenner is not in attendance. He must really be frail to not attend this.

soxinem1
09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I've always loved the historic aspect of baseball, especially the old stadiums.

But for the arrogant modern NYY fan, it is fitting that after predicting and hoping A-Rod, Jeter, or some star hit the last HR in the park, that Jose Molina, with 18 career HR's entering the game, hits the last one.

thomas35forever
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
It was nice that they pulled Jeter in the middle of the inning so he could get a standing ovation. Part of me wanted to see him potentially make the last out though.

Michstate45
09-21-2008, 10:49 PM
It was kind of wierd seeing Rivera closing out a game with a world series-like atmosphere like tonight. I grew up watching this guy break my heart whenever the Yankees got in the playoffs.

But tonight I realized how long it's been since I've seen him in that kind of situation. And thinking about it, he may never be in that type of situation again, after being in it so much during the late 90's early 00's

Max Power
09-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I definitely watched. I spent many summers of my youth in upstate NY watching Yankee games with my grandfather, so I've always liked the Yankees. I finally got to a game at Yankee Stadium last month, which was special. I'm not old enough to remember anything that happened at Yankee Stadium before like 1990, but think of all the World Series games and other important games that have taken place there just since 1990. Unfortunately it's time to add another to the list of great stadiums that have met the wrecking ball during the last two decades.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Did anyone else get a little misty during the last inning, as well as the post-game festivities?...because I did. Just thinking of all of the history that's gone on in that ballpark gives me the chills. I regret not going there one of these last few summers. I had the time, but did not make the effort.

What a final game!

And now, our White Sox will be known as the last road team to win in that stadium.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Actually, it would have cost much, much more money. Just look at the insane price Chicago paid to redo Soldier Field. It is much more expensive to gut an existing structure than to build a new one. Just the amount of money required for upkeep is outrageous.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually, it would have cost much, much more money. Just look at the insane price Chicago paid to redo Soldier Field. It is much more expensive to gut an existing structure than to build a new one. Just the amount of money required for upkeep is outrageous.

More than 1.6 billion dollars?

LoveYourSuit
09-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Wrigley, Fenway, & Yankee Stadium are all dumps and have to go.

It's about time a historic franchise decides to turn the page on a crappy venue.

Red Sox and Cubs are far away from turning the page.

Kudos to the Yankees.

Bucky F. Dent
09-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I watched it. Did you know that Joe Morgan played there!?!
:puking:

doublem23
09-22-2008, 01:00 AM

Kudos to the Yankees.

Considering the average ticket price at Fenway Park is almost $105 and they've still recorded 400+ sellouts, I'd say the Red Sox don't need to do ****.

chaerulez
09-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Considering the average ticket price at Fenway Park is almost $105 and they've still recorded 400+ sellouts, I'd say the Red Sox don't need to do ****.

Well, if they built a modern park with 50,000 seats and had an average ticket price of $120, I think they'd probably sell that out too.

Yes part of the appeal of the Red Sox is Fenway, just like the Cubs with Wrigley, so for both of those teams to replace their popular stadiums and still draw they would need to continue to successful baseball teams. Although I don't think the Red Sox or Cubs would continue to draw if they were last place teams. At least not on a consistent basis.

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2008, 01:24 AM
I didn't watch, but not because of football. I just didn't care. I was watching drag racing on ESPN2.

So none of the choices worked for me.

gobears1987
09-22-2008, 01:31 AM
The final game at Yankee Stadium occurred 35 years ago. The stadium that saw its final game today is not the original Yankee Stadium, and is NOT the house that Ruth built.

If you want an analogy that fits Chicago, look at Soldier Field. I don't think anyone today looks at the current stadium and sees it as the historic stadium that was built in the 1920s. It is an entirely new stadium.

guillensdisciple
09-22-2008, 02:12 AM
It was actually touching to watch. Jeter made an excellent speech at the end. That was actually all I saw, the game didn't matter but I thought the closing ceremony would be pretty interesting.

Now on to Wrigley and Fenway regardless of revenue made.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Missed the game. No cable. I'm not a fan of hype or the Yankees- but that park had more history than Fenway or Wrigley fans could ever dream of.

I wouldn't have minded making it out there as I can be a nostalgia freak sometimes, but I never got around to it. It's a shame they didn't tear down Wrigley or Fenway instead. I will be crying for joy when those stadiums meet the wrecking ball and all those poser fans no longer have a place to party. Actually, the behavior of Red Sox fans over the past 5 years has made me respect the Yankees and Yankee Stadium a lot more. I'm excited they won't be in the playoffs this year, but at the same time- I've got to admit October kind of seems wrong without them... like Mario without Bowser and Bowser's Castle or something. At least we've still got the Red Sox and Cubs to root against...

~Steve

grv1974
09-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Wrigley, Fenway, & Yankee Stadium are all dumps and have to go.

It's about time a historic franchise decides to turn the page on a crappy venue.

Kudos to the Yankees.

Thank God someone finally said it!

BadBobbyJenks
09-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I was playing in traffic instead of watching that nonsense.

doublem23
09-22-2008, 07:12 AM
I didn't watch, but not because of football. I just didn't care. I was watching drag racing on ESPN2.

So none of the choices worked for me.

Conform, Nellie. Conform.

D. TODD
09-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Very well done by the Yanks. A nice sendoff for the house of champions.