PDA

View Full Version : An intersting article from whitesox.com

JermaineDye05
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080921&content_id=3521812&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Basically it's OC saying stuff a lot of us have been saying for most of the season. That this team doesn't seem to act like a first place one. It wasn't Cabrera necessarily bashing the team, just him saying that he'd like to see this team play to it's potential. I thought it was pretty interesting.

chisoxjtrain
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I have no problem with what OC says, as that is what it looks like a lot of the time when we are down.

Madvora
09-21-2008, 03:58 PM
He's telling the truth, but people don't want to hear that. Everything isn't sunshine with this team. There are plenty of times where they've looked really, really bad.
They've been yelled at ever since losing 3 out of 4 to TB back in late May. That got them going for about a week, but that was it. Verbal motivation isn't going to work. They need changes for next year.

Konerko05
09-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I have no problem with anything he said. He is exactly right.

You can see it in their faces and attitudes throughout the game. Cabrera said it perfectly. They are hoping for a win. They don't look like a team who knows they can win. Instead of getting pumped up when they score, they look relieved.

A lot of the attitude seemed to disappear when Quentin went down. He was a huge part of that first place attitude. He had a chip on his shoulder, and was not afraid to drive in big runs.

I keep thinking this team will finally start clicking, but time is wearing thin. I really thought Friday's win (coupled with two Twins losses) would catapult them on a roll. That could have been the moment where they never look back, but Saturday they came out flat as ever.

If they don't go into Minnesota with that first place attitude, the last couple games are going to be really interesting. At best, we would limp into the playoffs. I know anything can happen in the playoffs, but I'd like to see this team show signs of life before we get there.

Thank G-d (for Adele) for John Danks today.

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080921&content_id=3521812&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Basically it's OC saying stuff a lot of us have been saying for most of the season. That this team doesn't seem to act like a first place one. It wasn't Cabrera necessarily bashing the team, just him saying that he'd like to see this team play to it's potential. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Didn't Cabrera refer to the "killer instinct" specifically?

DoItForDanPasqua
09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree with him, but I wonder if he should have expressed that in the locker room instead of to the world.

But, like I said, I think he's right. The Sox have had solid starting pitching, power, and a good bullpen for a good part of the season. If they could do the little things and play the game right we'd be talking about the Twins ruining the Sox chances for home field advantage instead about worrying about if they can win the division.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with him, but I wonder if he should have expressed that in the locker room instead of to the world.
He has been doing it the best way he could--with his bat! I have no problem what O-C said. He's right on key, and hopefully today's game is the spark they'll use to get this ship right before it's too late.

oeo
09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
The guy has been here before and became a huge leader on that 2004 Red Sox team. Hopefully everything he came here for is all coming out at the right time (improved bat, defense, and leadership).

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 05:52 PM
I have no issues with what he said. I'm surprised that he did say them however, given that he's headed out the door in less then two months anyway.

But if someone needed to call out these guys for their bi polar play this season, then I appreciate him doing it now before hand, when they can still pull this off and get to the post season as opposed to "20/20 hind site"

Lip

Madvora
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I have no issues with what he said. I'm surprised that he did say them however, given that he's headed out the door in less then two months anyway.

But if someone needed to call out these guys for their bi polar play this season, then I appreciate him doing it now before hand, when they can still pull this off and get to the post season as opposed to "20/20 hind site"

Lip
Obviously he's headed out the door because the Sox look like they have some good alternate options, but I think Cabrera's choice would rather be to leave too. How could he be happy coming from the teams he has played on to this? This is his first impression of playing on the White Sox and it's probably making him just as sick as it's made most of the fans this year.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Mad:

Well the only real shortstop option they have is moving Ramirez but to do that they'd need to sign, say Hudson to play second.

They have options but some things have to fall into place for them to work.

But the other thing I found interesting in this is that the comments came from a newcomer, not Konerko who's seen this a lot in ten years or Buehrle who has been here eight years and so forth.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
OC is right on.

It's about time someone on this team calls out the anemic play by this club.

Enough with the happy smiles and little kids on the play ground crap from Swisher. Time to take this bull by the horn and act like you want it.