PDA

View Full Version : Let the Yankees elimination party begin

Fenway
09-21-2008, 03:17 PM
The Yankees have been officially eliminated from the post-season for the first time since 1993.

:bandance::gulp::D:

jamokes
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I guess money can't buy you everything..............next year doesn't look too go neither!

doublem23
09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Nice. BTW, we need to keep track of the M's who are on pace to become the first $100 million, 100-loss team.

They both suck. How grand! :moonwalk:

Fenway
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Actually the Boston Globe miscalulated so the Boston magic number is still 1...

It would be only poetic justice if Baltimore wins tonight and the final out at Yankee Stadium puts Boston into the playoffs.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Actually the Boston Globe miscalulated so the Boston magic number is still 1...

It would be only poetic justice if Baltimore wins tonight and the final out at Yankee Stadium puts Boston into the playoffs.

How can you miscalculate a Magic Number? It's basic subtraction.

I think poetic justice now would be for the Yankees to somehow catch the Sawx and beat them in the 1-game play-off.

soxpride724
09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I'd rather have them in the playoffs than the Sawx but oh well. No one expected Tampa to be so damn good.

SpartanSoxFan
09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
As much as I despise the Yankees, you know that they are going to have a good year next year. They will go out and sign and acquire 2 front line starting pitchers (probably Sabathia). They certainly have all the offense they would need to be decent.

Railsplitter
09-23-2008, 06:54 PM
:bandance:

The Yankers Have gone longer without a Series win than our Sox.

sox1970
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Ok, NOW the Yankees are done.

Fenway
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes the Yankees are indeed dead in September for the first time in 15 years.

They will reload for 2009 as I expect them to give CC whatever he wants and most likely Manny will wind up there as well.

Big question in NYY land is does Cashman survive. He talked Hank out of trading for Santana and if the Mets survive I think Cashman is gone. It would be folly for the Yankees to fire him but Hank is not happy and he won't blame himself....so.

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah! Boston is safe in maintaining a consistent tradition of being 2nd best in their division.

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
I guess money can't buy you everything..............next year doesn't look too go neither!

They have alot of $ coming off their books. ALOT.

Fenway
09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah! Boston is safe in maintaining a consistent tradition of being 2nd best in their division.

Theo has always said just getting in gives you a 12.5 shot at winning it all in October.

I can also tell you he looked at monitor of White Sox game and he said he is mystified by the White Sox looking so bad tonight.

drewcifer
09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Theo has always said just getting in gives you a 12.5 shot at winning it all in October.

I can also tell you he looked at monitor of White Sox game and he said he is mystified by the White Sox looking so bad tonight.

Well, I guess I'm burned.

Theo didn't think much of the '05 White Sox team either if I recall correctly (you know - the year after which he was....gone).

EuroSox35
09-24-2008, 12:49 AM

To bad he didn't tune in around the 4th inning, Dr. Harrelson explained it for all of us...

chaerulez
09-24-2008, 12:55 AM
The Yankees will likely also get AJ Burnett who is another Carl Pavano waiting to happen. Even if they get CC, CC needs to prove he can show up in big games. He had a really bad ALCS last year. Sample size, I know, but CC-Burnett-Mussina-Hughes-??? isn't automatically better than Lester-Mastuzaka-Beckett-Wakefield-??? (who isn't to say the Red Sox don't make a run at CC either) and not to mention Kazmir-Shields-Garza-Sonnastaine-Jackson/Price looks like it's still the top rotation in the AL East. I think the Yankees will also need to get Texieria, but Baltimore is looking to make a push for the hometown guy and they are in big need of getting a big name to fill seats. And Posada, Damon, Matsui, Abreu, and Jeter all get another year older. Cano struggled a lot this year. Even if the Yankees get CC, Burnett, Sheets (another injury risk) and Texieria I wouldn't pencil them in back to the playoffs.

drewcifer
09-24-2008, 01:05 AM
The Yankees will likely also get AJ Burnett who is another Carl Pavano waiting to happen. Even if they get CC, CC needs to prove he can show up in big games. He had a really bad ALCS last year. Sample size, I know, but CC-Burnett-Mussina-Hughes-??? isn't automatically better than Lester-Mastuzaka-Beckett-Wakefield-??? (who isn't to say the Red Sox don't make a run at CC either) and not to mention Kazmir-Shields-Garza-Sonnastaine-Jackson/Price looks like it's still the top rotation in the AL East. I think the Yankees will also need to get Texieria, but Baltimore is looking to make a push for the hometown guy and they are in big need of getting a big name to fill seats. And Posada, Damon, Matsui, Abreu, and Jeter all get another year older. Cano struggled a lot this year. Even if the Yankees get CC, Burnett, Sheets (another injury risk) and Texieria I wouldn't pencil them in back to the playoffs.

Abreu won't be on the Yankees next year. Neither will Giambi. They'll clear some payroll room.

But, I believe to move Burnett, it's a club controlled trade which means he won't be going to NY either. And CC will like stay in the NL IMO, and probably move West.

I wouldn't pencil them in for the playoffs next year either - Cashman will have to do alot and alot smarter and it's probably going to take more than a 1 year absence to get back.

palehozenychicty
09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
They're definitely not a lock to return next year. They have a lot of money coming off the books e.g. Pavano, Abreu, Pettitte, Giambi, Mussina, but if Cashman stays around, he'll resign them all except Pavano. That's just how the Pinstriped Puppet rolls, although a GM with stones would let them all walk.
I think CC with the Yankees would be a disaster in time, along with Burnett. Burnett doesn't have the physical or mental makeup to throw well in the Bronx, and CC isn't a slam dunk. He's lost a lot of important games for the Indians and now Brewers, and few people mention it.
If anything, they should see what they can get with Cano for that slow outfield. He's one of their few pieces with trade value, and management is getting tired of his lapses.

Giving A-Fraud a deal until 2019 wasn't bright either. It's not like they're asking him to assume a leadership role with the team or hit the ball when it matters. He sucks, and I know people on this board like him, but if you saw him play every day, you'd call him a bigger Soriano. Believe me.

Overall, they haven't recovered from that 0-3 comeback by Boston. I secretly think it's one big reason why their detonating the stadium.

Malgar 12
09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
To bad he didn't tune in around the 4th inning, Dr. Harrelson explained it for all of us...

Ahhh...Dr. Harrelson...no doubt he talked about the scrappy Twins, playing the game the right way, catching us at the right time, cuz we're scuffling, dadgummit.

EuroSox35
09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Ahhh...Dr. Harrelson...no doubt he talked about the scrappy Twins, playing the game the right way, catching us at the right time, cuz we're scuffling, dadgummit.

Actually he added a new dimension to it last night, which is talked about in this thread http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106146