PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ryan looks at MVP ( and he votes this year )

Fenway
09-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Pretty obvious he not voting for Carlos Quentin

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/2008/09/the_dreaded_mvp.html

Gavin
09-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow. What a hack of a homer.

pearso66
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow. What a hack of a homer.

I think TCQ should win it, but the fact that he's hurt to finish out the season, and it's more than a week or 2, I think will play a big part of voting. I wouldn't doubt that the winner comes out of Boston

doublem23
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
No surprise, Bob Ryan is a bag of douche.

fusillirob1983
09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
If he's voting based on the "best player of the year" by his definition and not most valuable, I'd give it to A-Rod or Grady Sizemore (well I'd say he's about even with Pedroia), but I'd say A-Rod still had the best all-around season in the AL once again.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
No surprise, Bob Ryan is a bag of douche.
Show a little tact. Do you have any idea the personal hell this man went through this year?
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/28/keith_ryan_37_globe_sportswriters_son_found_dead/

1908<2005
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Pedoria should win it. Quentin finished the season cold and that may cost him

Lefty34
09-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Show a little tact. Do you have any idea the personal hell this man went through this year?
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/01/28/keith_ryan_37_globe_sportswriters_son_found_dead/

To teal or not to teal, that is the question...

Are you serious?

skobabe8
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Come on. A guy is off limits from criticism professionally because he's gone thru family tragedy? Doublem was not attacking on a personal level, so don't take it there yourself.

munchman33
09-21-2008, 07:44 PM

How about he isn't a very good journalist? :shrug:

Or are we not supposed to say that just because of something in his personal life? He has a very public job, one that he's ALWAYS been bad at. Not just today.

DaveFeelsRight
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
He's brutal to watch on PTI

slavko
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
You guys are making me feel guilty. The one time I saw him on PTI, he made the very reasonable statement right at the time Quentin went down that we would win or lose the division based on how we pitched, not because of the loss of one player. Seemed like an OK guy, but I don't watch regularly.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
How about he isn't a very good journalist? :shrug:

Or are we not supposed to say that just because of something in his personal life? He has a very public job, one that he's ALWAYS been bad at. Not just today.

First off, its never tactful to insult someone by calling them a feminine hygeine product. Insulting to Bob Ryan. Even more insulting to women here at WSI. From what I understand, Jon Garland can't be referred to as Judy because it implies that women are more inferior to men. Good policy and I support it. However, calling a man a "douche" is acceptable? Even more perplexing is that when that insult comes from the higher-ups at WSI.

Moreover, yes, Bob Ryan went through something that probably is the worst thing a human being can go through and he does deserve a break because of it. Maybe not a break on being a bad journalist who wrote a Boston-centric article, but certainly a break on any ad hominem attacks. Moreover, I think its a credit that after what he has gone through, he can be able to go back to work and get people worked up and talking again.

I've known a few people who have lost children. Some of them are people I never really liked. When it happened, it tempered by view of them. Hopefully, nobody here at WSI will ever go through what Bob Ryan has experienced. Attack the merits of the article, leave the man alone.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Come on. A guy is off limits from criticism professionally because he's gone thru family tragedy? Doublem was not attacking on a personal level, so don't take it there yourself.

So I'm to understand that if someone you did not know called you a "douche" you would take that as a professional criticism rather than a personal attack?

munchman33
09-21-2008, 08:18 PM
First off, its never tactful to insult someone by calling them a feminine hygeine product. Insulting to Bob Ryan. Even more insulting to women here at WSI. From what I understand, Jon Garland can't be referred to as Judy because it implies that women are more inferior to men. Good policy and I support it. However, calling a man a "douche" is acceptable? Even more perplexing is that when that insult comes from the higher-ups at WSI.

Moreover, yes, Bob Ryan went through something that probably is the worst thing a human being can go through and he does deserve a break because of it. Maybe not a break on being a bad journalist who wrote a Boston-centric article, but certainly a break on any ad hominem attacks. Moreover, I think its a credit that after what he has gone through, he can be able to go back to work and get people worked up and talking again.

I've known a few people who have lost children. Some of them are people I never really liked. When it happened, it tempered by view of them. Hopefully, nobody here at WSI will ever go through what Bob Ryan has experienced. Attack the merits of the article, leave the man alone.

Calling someone a female name as an insult is sexiest. Calling them a cleaning product that happens to be used on a female is not. There's a world of difference.

That article...nay, the body of work Bob Ryan has created up until this point...make him a complete and utter douche. If he doesn't quit, he should be fired. There are few worse at his job than he is, and that's always been the case.

gf2020
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Somebody call Patrick Swayze...

Lefty34
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
First off, its never tactful to insult someone by calling them a feminine hygeine product.

Actually, a "douche" is a device that is/can be used for the cleaning of any bodily cavity (male or female).

Insulting to Bob Ryan. Even more insulting to women here at WSI.

Women will only be insulted by it if they do not know the actual meaning of the term and/or are looking for something to be insulted about. Especially because the comment was made without an ounce of degradation aimed at women.

From what I understand, Jon Garland can't be referred to as Judy because it implies that women are more inferior to men. Good policy and I support it.

What does that have to do wit Bob Ryan being a bad journalist, and people calling him out on it?

However, calling a man a "douche" is acceptable?

You're right, there is a definite double-standard here at WSI. From now on, Carol Slezak is no longer a moronic journalist, she will now be referred to as "douche". Happy?

Even more perplexing is that when that insult comes from the higher-ups at WSI.

So mods at WSI are not allowed to rip a bad columnist for another bad column? That's just not fair.

Moreover, yes, Bob Ryan went through something that probably is the worst thing a human being can go through and he does deserve a break because of it.

A break from what? Work? Yes that is definitely allowable given the tragedy he went through, and I am sure that you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here who does not feel for the man. How about a break from the stupids? That is something that would help all of us non-brain dead people out.

Maybe not a break on being a bad journalist who wrote a Boston-centric article, but certainly a break on any ad hominem attacks.

But he is the one that wrote that article. It is his brain that is so behind the evolutionary curve that it allows him to write an article wanting Dustin Pedroia or Youkilis crowned the AL MVP. Bob Ryan is the problem, and it is moronic journalists like him that keep smarter, more able people from doing a better, more informative job.

Moreover, I think its a credit that after what he has gone through, he can be able to go back to work and get people worked up and talking again.

So it's a good thing that the guy can suffer through a tragedy and then continue on writing pointless, moronic drivel?

I've known a few people who have lost children. Some of them are people I never really liked. When it happened, it tempered by view of them.

While it is tragic that peolpe have lost their own children, it has nothing to do with their characteristics as people. To allow your opinions of someone to change just because of a tragedy they are going through (simply because of the tragedy, not because of any qualities un-earthed through said tragedy) is just as tragic as what the person is going through.

Hopefully, nobody here at WSI will ever go through what Bob Ryan has experienced.

Hopefully not.

Attack the merits of the article, leave the man alone.

But it is the man that wrote the article. It is the man that thinks that way. It is the man who is allowed to broadcast his biased and stupid thoughts to the entire world, and has no problem doing so. That must certanly warrant some personal attacks.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Calling someone a female name as an insult is sexiest. Calling them a cleaning product that happens to be used on a female is not. There's a world of difference.

That article...nay, the body of work Bob Ryan has created up until this point...make him a complete and utter douche. If he doesn't quit, he should be fired. There are few worse at his job than he is, and that's always been the case.

So let me get this straight - when most people hear the word "douche" - the cleansing of a body cavity comes to mind? Nice try.

You're right, there is a world of difference between using a female name to describe a man who can't perform and using a term that is common associated with the cleansing of a female to DEGRADE a man, with the latter being far worse.

skobabe8
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
So I'm to understand that if someone you did not know called you a "douche" you would take that as a professional criticism rather than a personal attack?

If Doublem knew Bob Ryan personally, it could be considered a personal attack. I know that Doublem does not know Bob Ryan personally and only knows his professional work, so I know when Doublem calls Bob Ryan a 'douche' he is attacking his professional work. Understand?

In addition, I've had plenty of over the phone encounters with customer service people at various credit card, cell phone, and satellite TV corporations that I thought were douche bags, even though I did not know them. Nothing personal intended.

32nd&Wallace
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Actually, a "douche" is a device that is/can be used for the cleaning of any bodily cavity (male or female).

Right, and that leaps to the minds of most people.

Women will only be insulted by it if they do not know the actual meaning of the term and/or are looking for something to be insulted about. Especially because the comment was made without an ounce of degradation aimed at women.

Point well taken. If you were a woman. But I would be careful about stating what women will and won't be insulted by. Which is why I doubt you are a woman.

What does that have to do wit Bob Ryan being a bad journalist, and people calling him out on it?

I didn't say it had anything to do with Bob Ryan. I was making a separate point.

So mods at WSI are not allowed to rip a bad columnist for another bad column? That's just not fair.

The mods at WSI should hold themselves to a higher standard. You don't want to offend women? Good policy. For the most part, the mods do a great job. But they need to police their own. Don't use offensive slang like "douche." Treat it like politics. If it has the possibility of offending someone, it will.

A break from what? Work? Yes that is definitely allowable given the tragedy he went through, and I am sure that you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here who does not feel for the man. How about a break from the stupids? That is something that would help all of us non-brain dead people out.

You do realize that there is life beyond sports.

While it is tragic that peolpe have lost their own children, it has nothing to do with their characteristics as people. To allow your opinions of someone to change just because of a tragedy they are going through (simply because of the tragedy, not because of any qualities un-earthed through said tragedy) is just as tragic as what the person is going through.

But you are making this about the man. Calling him a bad reporter and someone who doesn't know his sports is one thing, but you are making his personal character an issue by calling him a "douche" "idiot" "moron."

But it is the man that wrote the article. It is the man that thinks that way. It is the man who is allowed to broadcast his biased and stupid thoughts to the entire world, and has no problem doing so. That must certanly warrant some personal attacks.

No, because the man offers a stupid idea within the scope of their profession, never, ever justifies a personal attack. Especially with something as trivial as who will be the 2008 MVP?

You sound like a smart guy. But do you go to an office, where you work with other people, someplace where personalities converge? Where there is often a clash of ideas? In applying your logic, if someone uttered a stupid thought or did a stupid thing that justifies a personal attack on someone - i.e. calling someone a "douche" or a "scumbag"

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Can that guy have ANY more New England Chowdah? :rolleyes:

He and The Windsock have been equally bad on Around The Horn.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Ryan is leaving the Globe at the end of the year according to Fenway.

And personally I've never been a fan of his although I think his best sport was covering basketball.

Lip

forte
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Can that guy have ANY more New England Chowdah? :rolleyes:

He and The Windsock have been equally bad on Around The Horn.

Please stop with the personal attacks. Have you heard what that man has gone through this year?

Unbelievable.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
There is far too much thinking about the term "douchebag" in this thread.

A) I have no idea what Bob Ryan has been through, I only (unfortunately) know of him through his semi-coherent ramblings on PTI and his even more pathetic attempts at written journalism. Whatever he's gone through, if you take a personal insult from it because of similar circumstances in your own life, don't worry, he's only a deeeee-baaaaaag because

B) I think if you put a ball on a tee and gave Bob Ryan a bat, he'd still strike out. I need Bob Ryan's opinion on baseball the same way the boys at CERN need my opinions on quantum physics.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Please stop with the personal attacks. Have you heard what that man has gone through this year?

Unbelievable.
Do you even know what a personal attack is? Calling someone a *** or a ****. THAT'S a personal attack! It is not a personal attack when one points out that a columnist obviously only considers the NE and nothing else. It's the same thing as telling someone to stop drinking their Cubbie Kool-Aid. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Enough already of the over-sensitive crap.

nasox
09-21-2008, 09:52 PM

Call me tactless, but you're being a douche bag.

pmck003
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't agree with how he argues it esp since he seems to contradict himself, but you do have to consider one of those guys on Boston.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Call me tactless, but you're being a douche bag.

Knock it off.