PDA

View Full Version : Outfield Defense Against the Twins

Lukin13
09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
I think this would be more up for discussion if the Sox were facing any left handed starting pitching next week; but alas Baker, Blackburn and Slowley are all RH.

Like many times this season, JD looked awful in RF last night (despite Hawk's calls for a Gold Glove) and while Griffey is sure handed and smooth in center, he has the worst range of any CF in baseball... by a mile. Wise hasn't cost us much in left thusfar, but I just have a feeling, and I am sure most would agree: that he isn't a very good corner outfielder.

I am sorry, but we are most likely going to get our hats handed to us in Minnesota if we go with:

LF: Wise
CF: Griffey
RF: Dye

"WE" will blame the pitching as our demise, but every ball that falls between Griffey and Dye will leave me wondering if Anderson or Swisher would have gobbled them up. Just watching the game last night I counted three plays that might have been made, that led to at least 15-20 extra pitches for Gavin and two runs.

I know Swisher is ICE COLD at the plate, and Brian struggles, and/or sucks against right handed pitching;

But I am pretty sure that if you ask the Twins if they could have found veteran hitters on the cheap, to replace the likes of: Punto, Everett, Casilla and Span... they will tell you sure.

But the Twinkies didn't go out at the deadline and get Griffey JR, Geoff Blum, Troy Glaus, Brian Giles or Gary Sheffield.

Why?

Because those kind of players DO NOT WIN IN THE DOME. They might produce a run or two more a week, but they end up costing much more than that in more pitches thrown by your staff, plays not being made and even direct errors leading to runs.

Why doesn't Ozzie take a page from Gardenhire's book (It sure seems to be a good book, right?) and try and play a little defense next week?

balke
09-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I think this would be more up for discussion if the Sox were facing any left handed starting pitching next week; but alas Baker, Blackburn and Slowley are all RH.

Like many times this season, JD looked awful in RF last night (despite Hawk's calls for a Gold Glove) and while Griffey is sure handed and smooth in center, he has the worst range of any CF in baseball... by a mile. Wise hasn't cost us much in left thusfar, but I just have a feeling, and I am sure most would agree: that he isn't a very good corner outfielder.

I am sorry, but we are most likely going to get our hats handed to us in Minnesota if we go with:

LF: Wise
CF: Griffey
RF: Dye

"WE" will blame the pitching as our demise, but every ball that falls between Griffey and Dye will leave me wondering if Anderson or Swisher would have gobbled them up. Just watching the game last night I counted three plays that might have been made, that led to at least 15-20 extra pitches for Gavin and two runs.

I know Swisher is ICE COLD at the plate, and Brian struggles, and/or sucks against right handed pitching;

But I am pretty sure that if you ask the Twins if they could have found veteran hitters on the cheap, to replace the likes of: Punto, Everett, Casilla and Span... they will tell you sure.

But the Twinkies didn't go out at the deadline and get Griffey JR, Geoff Blum, Troy Glaus, Brian Giles or Gary Sheffield.

Why?

Because those kind of players DO NOT WIN IN THE DOME. They might produce a run or two more a week, but they end up costing much more than that in more pitches thrown by your staff, plays not being made and even direct errors leading to runs.

Why doesn't Ozzie take a page from Gardenhire's book (It sure seems to be a good book, right?) and try and play a little defense next week?

Swisher is both ice cold at the plate and terrible in CF. So I wouldn't worry too much about whether he would've gotten to a ball Griffey couldn't. I think overall they get places about the same time. Essentially you've started yet another Brian Anderson thread.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Your best defense is pitching, and we have about the best possible starters going for us as we'll get. There might be a mistake or two; but, the key is for our pitchers to be able to pitch over them. I honestly think we've got the favored pitching match-ups in at least two of the three games, with the third being a toss-up to small advantage for us.

You play your Hot 9 regardless. You know the Twins' pitching in pretty much all facets has not fared well lately, so you've gotta take advantage of that and expose that. I'd honestly play Wise in at least 2 of the 3 there, because he has been hot lately.

SBSoxFan
09-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Your best defense is pitching, and we have about the best possible starters going for us as we'll get. There might be a mistake or two; but, the key is for our pitchers to be able to pitch over them. I honestly think we've got the favored pitching match-ups in at least two of the three games, with the third being a toss-up to small advantage for us.

You play your Hot 9 regardless. You know the Twins' pitching in pretty much all facets has not fared well lately, so you've gotta take advantage of that and expose that. I'd honestly play Wise in at least 2 of the 3 there, because he has been hot lately.

But Griffey sure hasn't been hot. So, who plays center?

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:52 AM
But Griffey sure hasn't been hot. So, who plays center?
Flip a coin and duck! :tongue:

I'd honestly give BA at least one start in the series. He can't be any worse than Swisher or Griffey.

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Flip a coin and duck! :tongue:

I'd honestly give BA at least one start in the series. He can't be any worse than Swisher or Griffey.

BA won't start if we are facing nothing but righties. OG has made that pretty clear.

What's the word on TCQ? He take that batting practice this weekend or not?

LJS1993
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Just as the "HUGE OUTFIELD" in New York had no impact on the performance of the club or Griffey, so will the same situation be in Minnesota. All this talk and it ends up being Dye in right that goofs up a play on the wall and costs the team a run in KC. :rolleyes: Junior can play right fairly well. He's thrown out some guys from right and really has no issues at that position. All this "scuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrryyyyyyy" Griffey in center, Wise in center, talk is really absurd and un-warranted. :rolleyes:
Pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching.......... Keep it in the park, and the plays are going to be made, pretty simple concept really. It never ceases to amaze me how many "Sox fans" are so wrapped up in the outfield defense, specifically Griffey, a man who yes isn't the same outfielder he used to be, but is still doing just fine in center. Watch Dye goof up on the wall again, knocks himself out cold, thus another inside the park HR. Now that would be funny.

scarsofthumper
09-21-2008, 11:18 AM
How about we just keep forcing grounders to 3rd the whole series?

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Just as the "HUGE OUTFIELD" in New York had no impact on the performance of the club or Griffey, so will the same situation be in Minnesota. All this talk and it ends up being Dye in right that goofs up a play on the wall and costs the team a run in KC. :rolleyes: Junior can play right fairly well. He's thrown out some guys from right and really has no issues at that position. All this "scuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrryyyyyyy" Griffey in center, Wise in center, talk is really absurd and un-warranted. :rolleyes:
Pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching.......... Keep it in the park, and the plays are going to be made, pretty simple concept really. It never ceases to amaze me how many "Sox fans" are so wrapped up in the outfield defense, specifically Griffey, a man who yes isn't the same outfielder he used to be, but is still doing just fine in center. Watch Dye goof up on the wall again, knocks himself out cold, thus another inside the park HR. Now that would be funny.

I don't see anything "funny" about that scenario. In fact it's borderline trollish to suggest something that probably gives half the posters on these forums nightmares to even consider.

You are a reds fan, right? We don't tolerate trolling around here, Reds fan. Next time, you gone...

LJS1993
09-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't see anything "funny" about that scenario. In fact it's borderline trollish to suggest something that probably gives half the posters on these forums nightmares to even consider.

You are a reds fan, right? We don't tolerate trolling around here, Reds fan. Next time, you gone...

Nope, not a Reds fan by any means. As I've stated numerous times before, I'm a fan of the game, nothing more, nothing less. No trolling here, just giving my opinion.

Brian26
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Your best defense is pitching

That's partially correct. Your best defense is good pitching with an appropriate defense backing it up. A flyball pitcher needs speed in the outfield to back him up.

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Nope, not a Reds fan by any means. As I've stated numerous times before, I'm a fan of the game, nothing more, nothing less. No trolling here, just giving my opinion.

Opinions that Sox players knocking themselves out while attempting to catch a flyball in the house of horrors known as the hump dome in the second to last series of the year while locked in a pennant race dogfight with the Twinkies would be funny is trolling, period.

Just so we're clear and all...

Lip Man 1
09-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Voodoo:

He took some "dry swings" (?) with a light workout stick. That's the last that I heard. I don't think he's actually gone on the field and faced live pitching yet.

He himself was quoted as saying no time table and that he was hoping to be back by the playoffs.

Lip