PDA

View Full Version : One week to go

LITTLE NELL
09-21-2008, 05:51 AM
What ifs;
Today is a huge with us heading to Minny after todays game.
If the Sox and Twins both win or lose--2.5 game lead, not bad.
If the Sox win and Twins lose---3.5 game lead, buy your playoff tickets.
If the Sox lose and Twins win---1.5 game lead, we are in trouble.

SBSoxFan
09-21-2008, 06:54 AM
What ifs;
Today is a huge with us heading to Minny after todays game.
If the Sox and Twins both win or lose--2.5 game lead, not bad.
If the Sox win and Twins lose---3.5 game lead, buy your playoff tickets.
If the Sox lose and Twins win---1.5 game lead, we are in trouble.

I don't understand this mentality. The twins are chasing the Sox. It doesn't suck to be the front runner.

I realize it would be more, maybe much more, comfortable if there weren't 3 games in Minnesota, but do most people around here assume the Sox will get swept? With the pitching the starters the Sox are running out, I don't think they will.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out, but I'm not going to freak out until at least next Sunday.

mikesouthside
09-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I know we are all locked in to this Twins series, but let's not forget who's after that. If we run into trouble in the Twinkiedome the Tribe would LOVE to stab us thru the heart.

LITTLE NELL
09-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't understand this mentality. The twins are chasing the Sox. It doesn't suck to be the front runner.

I realize it would be more, maybe much more, comfortable if there weren't 3 games in Minnesota, but do most people around here assume the Sox will get swept? With the pitching the starters the Sox are running out, I don't think they will.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out, but I'm not going to freak out until at least next Sunday.
I'm bumbed out because we should have wrapped this thing up by now.

SBSoxFan
09-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm bumbed out because we should have wrapped this thing up by now.

I can understand that. But let's not worry about the sky falling unless it actually does. :D:

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:27 AM
I like to think of it this way: This time last week, we were tied with the Twins. In the past week, we have put 2.5 games between us. That's huge! If we can have the same type of week as we did last week (4 wins), we're going to EASILY be in! I really like the position we are in.

balke
09-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I know we are all locked in to this Twins series, but let's not forget who's after that. If we run into trouble in the Twinkiedome the Tribe would LOVE to stab us thru the heart.

I'd like to see the Tribe try while the Sox are at home. I fully expect that series to be a Sox dominated series.

chisoxfanatic
09-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see the Tribe try while the Sox are at home. I fully expect that series to be a Sox dominated series.
I do too. They have yet to beat us at Comiskey this year.

comet2k
09-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Why worry? Because the Twins play their last road game today, and their last six are at home, where they win most of the time. Same is true for the Sox, but they have to play three in the Dome before they get home.

The Sox have the upper hand now, but they have to win at least one against the Twins.

The thing I like about the Sox's chances are that if they wind up within half a game of the Twins they get another shot at home against the Tigers. And if they end the season tied with the Twins, the playoff is here.

guillensdisciple
09-21-2008, 09:47 AM
The Twins have cooled down considerably since they had that run to catch up with the sox a while back. The only reason they are close to the sox is because the sox have been just as cold as they have.

YET the Twins didn't play well their last home stand losing to the tigers (2 of 3) and taking 2 from the royals. The Twins aren't playing good baseball, there won't be a considerable amount of home field advantage.

The sox can take this and run.

Evman5
09-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Winning today is all that matters right now...can't worry about what the Twinkies....i am looking forward to seeing how Danks does in a big pressure start

JB98
09-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Our manager assumes that we will get swept. I don't like the comment I heard from Buehrle about needing to "have at least a 2.5-game lead" going into the dome. I don't like all of Ozzie's crap about how we're actually a half-game behind, even though we have a 2.5-game lead.

We should be talking about going to Minnesota, winning the series and putting away the division. Instead, the team sounds fearful, and nothing about their play inspires confidence.

I often think Ozzie likes the "piranhas" more than he likes his own club. Just once, I would like someone to say the following:

"The Twins suck. They have only four good players on their club. I don't know how they've hung around for this long. They are doing it with mirrors. We're a better team than they are, and we're going to go prove it."

Have some confidence, for crying out loud. I'm not confident, because I don't sense any confidence coming from the guys wearing White Sox uniforms.

stockonline2
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Ozzie's comments about being ".5 games back" were purely tongue in cheek. He is merely poking fun at the notion everyone (a lot of fans included, but mostly the media) thinks that the Sox will get smoked in Minnesota.

Having respect for your opponent is not the same as being afraid. As a matter of fact, I think respecting your opponent is necessary when facing them.

Ozzie does not want to lose, trust me.

TDog
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM
The White Sox lead the Twins by three losses. Because to the game against the Tigers last weekend, the Sox have one less game in the upcoming week. The Sox need to maintain more than a one-game lead in the loss column to avoid bringing the Tigers back to for an encore visit to Chicago.

The Twins are chasing the White Sox. They are a desperate team. They have been playing like a desperate team, and their pitching has been going through hard times. Sometimes desperate teams win. Nobody on the Sox is taking the Twins lightly. Nobody on the Twins is taking the Sox lightly. Obviously every time the Sox play and don't lose and every time the Twins lose, the Sox get closer to making the postseason. But while the Twins see the upcoming series as an opportunity, they see it as a desperate opportunity.

ramblermgr9599
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
so if the Sox finish 1/2 back of MIN they have to beat Det. and then Min. to get into the playoffs.

if they finish 1/2 ahead of MIN they can either beat Det. and get in or lose to Det. and then beat Min. in a one game playoff.

Hopefully the Sox win it Friday night at home. I still remember Sept. 27, 1983 and being in the upper deck when the Sox won the AL West. Fans were literally throwing nachos and stuff, it was so much fun. I was 15 at the time.

FielderJones
09-21-2008, 10:54 PM
so if the Sox finish 1/2 back of MIN they have to beat Det. and then Min. to get into the playoffs.

if they finish 1/2 ahead of MIN they can either beat Det. and get in or lose to Det. and then beat Min. in a one game playoff.

Hopefully the Sox win it Friday night at home. I still remember Sept. 27, 1983 and being in the upper deck when the Sox won the AL West. Fans were literally throwing nachos and stuff, it was so much fun. I was 15 at the time.

I guarantee you, it wasn't (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105926) Sept. 27.

jabrch
09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Our manager assumes that we will get swept.

I highly doubt he assumes that. I don't trust a word any of these guys say - Williams and Guillen more than any. Everything is said for effect.

CHISOXFAN13
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I guarantee you, it wasn't (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105926) Sept. 27.

Could be a simple mistake. The Sox won the AL West on that date in 1993.

oeo
09-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Our manager assumes that we will get swept. I don't like the comment I heard from Buehrle about needing to "have at least a 2.5-game lead" going into the dome. I don't like all of Ozzie's crap about how we're actually a half-game behind, even though we have a 2.5-game lead.

We should be talking about going to Minnesota, winning the series and putting away the division. Instead, the team sounds fearful, and nothing about their play inspires confidence.

I often think Ozzie likes the "piranhas" more than he likes his own club. Just once, I would like someone to say the following:

"The Twins suck. They have only four good players on their club. I don't know how they've hung around for this long. They are doing it with mirrors. We're a better team than they are, and we're going to go prove it."

Have some confidence, for crying out loud. I'm not confident, because I don't sense any confidence coming from the guys wearing White Sox uniforms.

It's possible that they don't want to give the Twins any more incentive? I mean, the guys play the Sox like it's Game 7 every time out.

All I know is all pressure is on the Twins. They need a sweep. Don't give them any extra incentive going in because Ron Gardenhire feeds his team off of that crap.

TDog
09-22-2008, 12:14 AM

You have your dates wrong. The White Sox were in Oakland on Sept. 27, 1983, and they had a 19-game lead in their division. The 10-game season-ending roadtrip worked out OK, with the Sox winning eight times. But the race was over by then. You're probably thinking of Sept. 17, when Harold Baines drove in Julio Cruz with a sacrifice fly to clinch the division.

doublem23
09-22-2008, 12:25 AM

I really think you're misinterpreting the comments, especially from Ozzie. I believe he was trying to fire his guys up with another "us vs. the world" kind of thing. He never said, "I don't think we can win there," he said "nobody thinks we can."

Just my two cents. :shrug:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm sure they'd like a little payback for 2005. All the Indians had to do to win the wild card was take one game at home against a team that had already clinched. The Sox B-squad, led by the likes of Ross Gload, Willie Harris, and Brandon McCarthy, swept all three games and the Toons watched the playoffs on television.

Hopefully the Sox can take at least 2 of 3 in Minny so the Toons can't return the favor!

doublem23
09-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm sure they'd like a little payback for 2005. All the Indians had to do to win the wild card was take one game at home against a team that had already clinched. The Sox B-squad, led by the likes of Ross Gload, Willie Harris, and Brandon McCarthy, swept all three games and the Toons watched the playoffs on television.

I know what you're saying, but the Indians actually finished 2 GB the wild card in '05.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml

sunofgold
09-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Cleveland is playing pretty well lately. Lee is pitching on the 23rd, thus he will be pitching again on the 28th. Best to take 2 out of 3 from the Twins. Here are the three pitchers that we are probably going to face vs Tribe.

Scott Lewis - rookie but is 3-0 and pitching well vs. Danks
Zach Jackson - not pitching well vs. 5th start (don't think we would use Vazquez on three day rest)
Cliff Lee - going to win Cy Young vs. Vazquez

If we do have to play the make up game against DET...it looks like it would be Robertson making the start. Garcia is one slot ahead of him in the rotation. Imagine if it was Garcia scheduled in a possible make up game. Dang. But let's hope that there is no make up game. Buehrle would get make up game if necessary.

nasox
09-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Fans were literally throwing nachos and stuff, it was so much fun. I was 15 at the time.

But that was when nachos were a lot cheaper than they are now. Throwing nachos to celebrate a division title is prohibitively expensive. :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I know what you're saying, but the Indians actually finished 2 GB the wild card in '05.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_2005.shtml
Thanks for the reminder - as I recall (now), the Indians had to win AND the Red Sox had to lose for Cleveland to TIE for the Wild Card on the last day of the regular season. The Sox victory over the Toons combined with Boston's win over the Yankees accounts for the two-game difference.

I remember switching over to ESPN for the Red Sox/Yankees game as soon as White Sox/Indians was over. Peter Gammons seemed genuinely disappointed that our Sox had beaten the Indians, robbing his Sox of an on-the-field celebration at the end of their game (they had to settle for a lame mid-game pat-on-the-back fest in the dugout).

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I remember switching over to ESPN for the Red Sox/Yankees game as soon as White Sox/Indians was over. Peter Gammons seemed genuinely disappointed that our Sox had beaten the Indians, robbing his Sox of an on-the-field celebration at the end of their game (they had to settle for a lame mid-game pat-on-the-back fest in the dugout).
I heard that the Fenway crowd erupted pretty loud when the score to our game was posted as "Final." Just a handful of days later, that crowd was silenced by our Sox then sweeping them at that same ballpark. :bandance:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I heard that the Fenway crowd erupted pretty loud when the score to our game was posted as "Final." Just a handful of days later, that crowd was silenced by our Sox then sweeping them at that same ballpark. :bandance:
Funny how that works out - if all goes according to plan, we'll go from rooting very hard for the Tampa Bay Rays this past weekend to rooting very hard against them next week!

Jurr
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
The Sox have what in essence are playoff games the next 6 days. The goal for this team since day one was WIN A WORLD SERIES. Are we going to be posting happy messages on post game threads if this team gets swept out of Tampa? Nope. Would they be any happier if the team loses in the ALCS? Nah.

They need to get that playoff mentality going NOW. The '05 Sox played great baseball all year long until the last month. They loosened up and resumed their awesome play en route to an 11-1 finish. That team won 99 games despite having a sub-par August and September. Contreras, in that time, transformed into a dominant starter.

Has this team really put together a season of dominant baseball? Nope. They have won enough games to be in the postseason hunt, given the divison they were in. Now is the time that they need to turn it up a notch. No more sloppy execution. No more bullpen collapses. The playoff mentality needs to start this week. They need to win these games in Minnesota to not only put the division away but also to tell themselves "we believe we can compete with and beat anybody put in front of us".

That's it. Win these games. We don't want to see a team that backs into the playoffs. They need to be hot at the right time, and this is the time to get that way. Period.