PDA

View Full Version : If there's a strike...

MarqSox
05-15-2002, 08:26 PM
It makes it hard to care about the game when the players talk strike.

Soxheads
05-15-2002, 08:43 PM
God, I wish all this stuff would just end.

KruseControl04
05-15-2002, 09:24 PM
If they do strike, I'm gonna be really pissed. I'll threaten to stop watching baseball when they come back, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Baseball is life.

sox_fan_forever
05-15-2002, 09:51 PM
God, I wish all this stuff would just end.

That's the way I feel. I'm so tired of hearing about it.

Baseball is life.

It's that way for me also so no matter what I will always come back.

ode to veeck
05-15-2002, 09:56 PM
they pull that s__ again, and baseball's really not a sport anymore, may as well make don king the comish, come to think of it that would be a step up even without a strike, bud's worse than back of the yards white trash from canaryville

harwar
05-16-2002, 07:50 AM
The owners & players will always be able to do what they want because they know that the fans will always come crawling back.I was praying for a boycott by the fans in 95 just to let these scumbags who want a stoppage know that they can't get away with it.I will NEVER get over the fact that they canceled the World Series in 94.I'm a long-suffering White Sox fan and i love baseball more than anything but if they kill this season than i quit and i hope they all rot-in-hell.

Clarkdog
05-16-2002, 09:42 AM
I caveat my vote by saying, I would be pissed about a work stoppage, but I would come back, but ONLY if there were changes made to improve the competitve balance of the league.
The Yankees have won 38 pennants and 26 world championships in 100 seasons, something a bit one-sided about that.

Procol Harum
05-16-2002, 10:21 AM
I know that even if they strike they would probably pull me back in--eventually. But, I agree with most folks' sentiments in that this whole business really ticks me off and really takes the lustre off the game. It is truly amazing how stupid and shortsighted both sides of this dispute are and can't seem to see how they're killing the golden goose. Between the two parties, I guess I probably have to blame the greedy, stupid owners for their refusal to work out some sort of a revenue-sharing agreement a tiny bit more than the greedy, stupid players. A plague on both their houses.

Randar68
05-16-2002, 10:52 AM
I would be really upset if it cost them this year's world series.

However, if they get at least 2 or 3 of:
1)contraction
2)more complete revenue sharing
3)salary cap
4) a revised draft structure,

I would come back. However, if not, I would turn my attention and money away. I would definitely be more interested in going to Cougers and Flyers games. I still love baseball, but the lack of competetive balance and all the cry-baby millionaires are ruining this game.

voodoochile
05-16-2002, 11:41 AM
I'd come back, but the key word would be eventually. I would not spend money on baseball in any way for at least 2 years if they cancelled the series. Last time I went a whole year without paying, this time I would stretch it further.

I would also start devoting more of my time to other forms of entertainment - Chicago Rush, Chicago Fire, minor league baseball.

They must get revenue sharing and salary caps in place for the health of the game. If they strike and don't do that, I would spend my money elsewhere for a long long time... Screw the fat cats and their little dog Donald too...

Moses_Scurry
05-16-2002, 12:14 PM
I love baseball and the Sox too much to stay away forever. If the Sox were as great as they were in '95 after the strike, I'd stay away from Comiskey. I wouldn't go back until they had a winning team. I'd probably go to a bunch of Flyers games to get my baseball fix.

Foulke You
05-16-2002, 01:50 PM
It's amazing to me how both the owners and players never learn. Remember how much anger and bad feelings there were after the '94 strike. It took Cal Ripken's streak, McGwire breaking 61, and some exciting seasons to get the fans back into baseball. I fear the game would never recover from another work stoppage. In this post 9/11 world and economic climate that we live in, do you think people are going to be sympathetic to a bunch of multi million dollar owners? How about rich players who make a league MINIMUM of $300,000 per year? A guy working 50 hrs a week at the steel mill for $40,000 a year is really going to feel sorry for these guys?
The warning klaxens should already be going off. Attendance is down all over baseball. Even new ballparks like Miller Park, PNC, and Comerica are all suffering huge downturns in attendance. Do they expect it to go up after a work stoppage?

A sidenote- Wouldn't it be just the Sox luck to be on the cusp of making post season play again and having the playoffs and World Series cancelled again?

FarmerAndy
05-16-2002, 05:04 PM
I can't say for sure, but I might not come back.

I love baseball, but we have to remember (and so do they) that there are other options. At the end of the day, it's the game that I love, and I can go pay less money to see a more pure version of it at any Northern League ballpark. Granted, I love Major League Baseball. You can't deny that it's the best quality of play on the field. You have to admit though, some of the independent minor leagues have a smaller community feel to them. Minor league ballparks have more of that true baseball vibe.

If they strike, they are taking MLB away from the fans, but they can never take the game of baseball away from the true fans of it.
If they strike, I will not renew White Sox season tickets, and I'll get Joliet Jackhammers season tickets (The drive is about the same distance for me.), and I'l probably stay there and follow the Northern League, even after MLB resumes play. I'm sick of this S@#t.

The Joliet Jackhammers and The Schaumburg Flyers are both in the Northern League. One team is from a nice upper middle class suburb, the other is from a small working class city. Sounds like a good rivalry to me.

Daver
05-16-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

The Joliet Jackhammers and The Schaumburg Flyers are both in the Northern League. One team is from a nice upper middle class suburb, the other is from a small working class city. Sounds like a good rivalry to me.

Joliet is not exactly small anymore,it sprawls all the way into Kendall Co.

doublem23
05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

And next year, Gary, IN gets a Northern League team...

Are you taking notes, JR???

:reinsy
Ink costs too much.

charlie browned
05-16-2002, 05:53 PM
The Players Union and the owners are slowly strangling the golden goose which has made the obscenely lucrative industry that is Major League Baseball possible--the Fan. The Fan's willingness to swallow annual ticket price increases quietly, to watch and to listen to broadcast games faithfully and to dutifully buy the beer, cars, Grecian Formula for Men, and whatever else is advertised, or to buy the ridiculously priced "official" paraphernalia, etc. etc., has to reach a breaking point sometime. Charging a fee to listen to Internet broadcasts might be the last straw.

If owners and players are willing, yet again, to essentially say to the fans, "F... you, we're looking out for ourselves," then it will be years before I come back. A good high school game is almost as exciting and alot cheaper.

To stay successful, baseball needs to be perceived as a slice of our carefree youth that never dies. There still has to be at least a little innocence left for it to stay compelling. It's hard to cheer on money-grubbing businessmen.

Baseball is like an alcoholic slowly drinking himself to death--only baseball's poison is money.

A twelve step program involving equitable revenue sharing, salary caps, a firm crackdown on performance- and strength- enhancing substances (DHEA is winked at only by baseball) is sorely needed.

Selig has set MLB back 100 years--to the free-for-all 1890's.

hsc1
05-16-2002, 05:58 PM
what mlb isnt thinking of is the fact that they do have competition in bounds and leaps now.... independent leagues are popping up all over the place, and are becoming quite popular with "family fans".....alot of fans have not come back from the last strike and with this one on the horizion i do seriously believe that most fans will go elsewhere to spend their entertainment dollars.... i do love baseball, its like a drug for me.... but i think if a strike by the players happens this time around ill be spending alot more time with ron kittle at the flyers games...

Paulwny
05-16-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
Charging a fee to listen to Internet broadcasts might be the last straw.

If I remember correctly, MLB wanted the web telecasts to be free, it was the Actor's Union which demanded higher wages for their membership since the web broadcasts are heard by a larger audience then radio wave broadcasts. They demanded and won the charging of web games.

Cheryl
05-16-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

If I remember correctly, MLB wanted the web telecasts to be free, it was the Actor's Union which demanded higher wages for their membership since the web broadcasts are heard by a larger audience then radio wave broadcasts. They demanded and won the charging of web games.

Equity? Equity gets a say on whether or not baseball charges for webcasts?

Paulwny
05-16-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Equity? Equity gets a say on whether or not baseball charges for webcasts?

I'm not sure if it's Equity.
There was a lot of complaining last year about the fee when it was free the year before. Someone posted that the union was able to receive an increase in the $$ paid to the people doing the commercials since they were now heard by a wider audience.
It appears that the union recieves the money from the subscibers to compensate the commercial actors.
I HOPE I HAVE IT CORRECT.

Cheryl
05-16-2002, 06:50 PM
AFTRA then. Fine--don't broadcast the commercials.

You know, if there is a strike, I won't be back. Which is what I said last time, and I lasted all of 15 minutes. Though I am still bitter about that one. So maybe this time I'll hold out longer.

CLR01
05-17-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by hsc1
what mlb isnt thinking of is the fact that they do have competition in bounds and leaps now.... independent leagues are popping up all over the place, and are becoming quite popular with "family fans".....alot of fans have not come back from the last strike and with this one on the horizion i do seriously believe that most fans will go elsewhere to spend their entertainment dollars.... i do love baseball, its like a drug for me.... but i think if a strike by the players happens this time around ill be spending alot more time with ron kittle at the flyers games...

Is Kittle still there??? I thought he stepped down as manager.

FarmerAndy
05-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by daver

Joliet is not exactly small anymore,it sprawls all the way into Kendall Co.

I know it's not really small, I just meant in comparison to Chicago.

I drove by the new ballpark last weekend, it looks really cool next to the old train station.

Cheryl
05-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Is Kittle still there??? I thought he stepped down as manager.

He's been bumped up to something in the office. I don't remember who is the new manager.