PDA

View Full Version : I have this feeling

BigP50
09-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I have this feeling that if we make the playoffs then we will win the WS.

I mean right now I'm just feelin' it.

Who else is on board

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Right now, I have a feeling that I will get an ulcer if we don't widen this lead and take it BEFORE next weekend.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
24 hours ago you started the "I'm nervous" thread.

Find your happy place, man.

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM

He's circling, waiting to land...........

BigP50
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM

I was nervous because we struggle in KC.

I said if we make the playoffs I have a good feeling

pczarapa
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM

I was just thinking the same thing :cool:

alohafri
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Who else is on board

If you can bottle what you are drinking, I'll have some! :bandance:

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm looking forward to the thread he starts tomorrow:

"The Prozac has kicked in, I'm in a happy place now."

Jpgr91
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Well then its clear what you have to do...Sell all of your possessions. Fly to Vegas. Bet it all on the Sox. Go go go go go go. Good luck.

BigP50
09-19-2008, 10:40 PM
no thread tomorrow

i'm stickin with this one

Tragg
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I'd like to see TCQ back in action to give these feelings a reasonable shot at becoming reality.

Dub25
09-19-2008, 10:44 PM

Who else is on board

I like your thinking, I'm not sure where it is heading but I like your thinking.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 10:44 PM
no thread tomorrow

i'm stickin with this one

Unless they lose, of course. :wink:

BigP50
09-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Unless they lose, of course. :wink:

here's the thing, were not gonna lose

I have a feeling :bandance:

sox1970
09-19-2008, 10:49 PM
here's the thing, were not gonna lose

I have a feeling :bandance:

It's gonna happen!

kittle42
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
The mood swings around here are quite amazing. Has anyone ever followed a 162-game season before?

jabrch
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
The mood swings around here are quite amazing. Has anyone ever followed a 162-game season before?

No kidding. It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

asindc
the mood swings around here are quite amazing. Has anyone ever followed a 162-game season before?

lol!

Adele_H

O' fa' sho' you be temptin' baseball gods now, shorty. :angry:

Cease and desist, please.

*attempts to reverse curse*

doublem23
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM

The 2008 White Sox have had their exceptional highs and lows, to be fair.

I don't remember the '05 or '00 versions ever bouncing around quite like this. I mean, they looked terrible yesterday. Today, they looked like world beaters. I know the opponents have a lot to do with it, but this team is nuts.

alohafri
09-19-2008, 11:00 PM

This is quite true! I think most of us are as bipolar as the team we support!

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
The 2008 White Sox have had their exceptional highs and lows, to be fair.What does that have to do with anything? The lunatics around here act like every game is the entire season every year.

soxinem1
09-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Right now, I have a feeling that I will get an ulcer if we don't widen this lead and take it BEFORE next weekend.

Ditto. The Dome works in mysterious ways..........

Actually, playing a little better would help too.

jabrch
09-19-2008, 11:07 PM
What does that have to do with anything? The lunatics around here act like every game is the entire season every year.

Was it this bad pre-2005? I know we had our share of dumb, but I just don't remember the same level of idiocy.

Adele_H
09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
What does that have to do with anything? The lunatics around here act like every game is the entire season every year.

I know I could never understand those bipolar crazies; such curious breed...

Then again, baseball IS life & death, so at the end of the day, it's hard to judge them.

I think.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Was it this bad pre-2005? I know we had our share of dumb, but I just don't remember the same level of idiocy.

Um. Watch it. Call our membership (of which, I am included) a pack of idiots again, and you can have the luxury of not dealing with us until November.

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Was it this bad pre-2005? I know we had our share of dumb, but I just don't remember the same level of idiocy.Yes, it's been this bad for years.

Um. Watch it. Call our membership (of which, I am included) a pack of idiots again, and you can have the luxury of not dealing with us until November.If the foo ****s...

doublem23
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM

:scratch:

It has everything to do with everything. This team's ups and downs are amazing. Yesterday, I was totally down in the dumps, tonight I feel like a million bucks. This team is so agonizingly inconsistent that its hard to remove every game from the 162-game marathon and keep it in the proper context.

Plus, this is the first true 2-month long pennant race the Sox have been in since 1993, at least. Most of us are not used to this kind of daily grind. I know I'm not. I'm 25, been a Sox fan for as long as I can remember, and I don't ever remember a season as stressful as this.

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm 25, been a Sox fan for as long as I can remember, and I don't ever remember a season as stressful as this.That's irrelevant. Most people around here act like this every year. The season is over after the first loss in April. :D:

Hell, Lip's quit in spring training before. :redneck

Save McCuddy's
09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I know I could never understand those bipolar crazies; such curious breed...

Then again, baseball IS life & death, so at the end of the day, it's hard to judge them.

I think.

Whatever you do, stay away from the game threads. There are posts and posts that slay away at the guys who got us here every time they strike out or pop up over the course of 550 some odd plate appearances.

jabrch
09-19-2008, 11:27 PM
That's irrelevant. Most people around here act like this every year. The season is over after the first loss in April. :D:

Hell, Lip's quit in spring training before. :redneck

and it is then over another 70+ times every year - regardless of what is actually happening on the field...

Save McCuddy's
09-19-2008, 11:32 PM
:scratch:

It has everything to do with everything. This team's ups and downs are amazing. Yesterday, I was totally down in the dumps, tonight I feel like a million bucks. This team is so agonizingly inconsistent that its hard to remove every game from the 162-game marathon and keep it in the proper context.

Plus, this is the first true 2-month long pennant race the Sox have been in since 1993, at least. Most of us are not used to this kind of daily grind. I know I'm not. I'm 25, been a Sox fan for as long as I can remember, and I don't ever remember a season as stressful as this.

Double -- this has undeniably been a roller coaster ride of a season. However, despite the ups and downs of the past 60 some odd days, one thing has remained consistent: when in trouble, we catch a break -- win a game or the Twins drop one. In addition, the same can be said for what happens each time we have a chance to blow this thing open -- we don't. I have taken the tack that our squad answers the bell. There isn't a better attribute than that.

Adele_H
09-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Whatever you do, stay away from the game threads. There are posts and posts that slay away at the guys who got us here every time they strike out or pop up over the course of 550 some odd plate appearances.

Now that you mentioneth it, I don't think I've ever posted in a game threads.

(I know in some of Soxtalk's legendary game threads, people were alternately committing hari kari & ascending into ecstasy spaceships headed toward the dark side of the moon. It was surrealescent, definately turned me off game threads in general. But I digress.)

Tragg
09-19-2008, 11:42 PM

on a micro level, the Sox have been inconsistent. A lot of injuries, a lot of players coming in and out of the bullpen.
On a macro level, the Sox have been remarkably consistent. We've never been behind by more than 2.5 games all year; we've either lead or been within 1 game of the lead since mid May. The Sox have had only 1 losing streak 6 games or more; and only 3 winning streaks 6 games or more. On the field, this has been a consistent team.

Lundind1
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
on a micro level, the Sox have been inconsistent. A lot of injuries, a lot of players coming in and out of the bullpen.
On a macro level, the Sox have been remarkably consistent. We've never been behind by more than 2.5 games all year; we've either lead or been within 1 game of the lead since mid May. The Sox have had only 1 losing streak 6 games or more; and only 3 winning streaks 6 games or more. On the field, this has been a consistent team.

Very nice use of the large and small scale. Maybe we should have you run our economy.

On the actual context, I will agree. Someone very "baseball smart" told me never to get too high or low on a team at any given time. Even the best teams win just about .600 most of the time. We should be fortunate, this season could have gone the way of last year and an official rebuilding process would have begun. We managed to win more than we lost, and in the grand baseball scheme of things might be just enough to make the post-season, mini-disasters and all.

Hey, how many of you wanted to dump these guys when we got swept at the Blue Hole this year. Undoubtedly that place was the site of the beginning of the end in 2007 when McDougal gave that game away. Never over.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
The mood swings around here are quite amazing. Has anyone ever followed a 162-game season before?All of them. And a lot of 154-game seasons too.

doublem23
09-20-2008, 12:28 AM

But our consistency on the large scale has more to do with the Twins being equally consistently inconsistent, IMO. The Sox have had multiple chances in the past weeks to open up some breathing room and they simply haven't capitalized. Bully for us, the Twins have failed to capitalize on the numerous chances they've had to close the gap and pass us.

This has just been an unusually stressful season; every other time the Sox were mathematically alive in September, it was always a sort of dream scenario that needed to unfold. Now, their fates are in their hands and its hard to keep saying, "Just believe!" and watch them get pounded by the Yankees. Then its hard not to be excited when you win an game big and watch the Twins get creamed.

Maybe it's not the roller coaster as much as it is the tightness of the race. The Twins have been nipping at our heels for such a long time, its starting to wear down everyone.

hawkjt
09-20-2008, 01:31 AM
2005 was stressful in a different way....the way where the opponent is charging like hell the whole second half chipping away at your lead. This is more of a grinding stress where the expectations have never gotten as high as with the incredible first half 05 team. That year was scarier as the largest blown lead almost ever was down to 1.5 games after 153 games. Humiliation loomed. What is kind of amazing is that after all this, the 08 Sox have a bigger lead than the 05 team did after 153 games. That season featured some great baseball. This season,not as much.
This year, the sox are the little engine that could and they keep chugging along up a mountain..be nice to get there for sitting thru some of the tough games..Just do it sox.

JB98
09-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Maybe it's not the roller coaster as much as it is the tightness of the race. The Twins have been nipping at our heels for such a long time, its starting to wear down everyone.

Without getting too much into this argument, I'm glad the finish line is now in sight. Eight days from now, we're gonna know whether we're in the playoffs one way or the other.

Every game feels like life and death to me right now. Yeah, my mood swings with each win and each loss. So shoot me. I really, really want the White Sox in the playoffs this year.

If the Sox are in it, I can ignore Cubbie Fever and ignore the crappy Bears and just root for my favorite baseball team.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Every game feels like life and death to me right now. Yeah, my mood swings with each win and each loss. So shoot me. I really, really want the White Sox in the playoffs this year.
I hear you on that. I've been in a real pissy mood lately for a reason I'm not discussing. Our Sox truly aren't helping matters. But, at least they're back up by 2.5 games.

If they sweep KC, and the Twins lose their next 2, we'll only need 2 wins in the Baggie Dome to clinch there.

Madscout
09-20-2008, 10:08 AM
You know the funny thing about that, my first was '05. Just couldn't believe it when I would go to the site and see records like 21-7 and such. Especially because it always seemed that when I would follow them before casually, they would always be 5 or 6 games behind the Twins.

Frankfan4life
09-20-2008, 11:08 AM

I don't remember the '05 or '00 versions ever bouncing around quite like this. I mean, they looked terrible yesterday. Today, they looked like world beaters. I know the opponents have a lot to do with it, but this team is nuts.I've said it before, this is the most baffling Sox team I've ever witnessed.

We saw good pitching during the first couple of months but hardly any offense, then the offense picked up during the next couple of months but the pitching went south, during the last two months we've had shaky pitching and offense. Maybe now we're due for some sustained good pitching and offense. (Good defense would be a huge plus!)

Lukin13
09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I was nervous because we struggle in KC.

I said if we make the playoffs I have a good feeling

So you don't like our chances vs KC, Minn and Cle.

BUT

You like our chances vs TB, Bos, ANA

hmmm....

eastchicagosoxfan
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I think this team responds when its back is against the wall. If it goes into the playoffs with that attitude in game one, the team will play well.

Frankfan4life
09-20-2008, 12:59 PM
I think this team responds when its back is against the wall. If it goes into the playoffs with that attitude in game one, the team will play well.I think being in this situation before (2005) has helped.

Frontman
09-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I'm worried the Sox will be the "one and done" team for this playoff. They have not fared well against the Angels nor the Rays this season. Yes, anything can happen in October; but I'm not counting on stars aligning/something out of nowhere to happen.

If the Sox make it in, the team HAS to play at a level they were playing at in the first half.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I'm worried the Sox will be the "one and done" team for this playoff. They have not fared well against the Angels nor the Rays this season. Yes, anything can happen in October; but I'm not counting on stars aligning/something out of nowhere to happen.

If the Sox make it in, the team HAS to play at a level they were playing at in the first half.
Our Sox actually finished 5-5 against the Angels, and I'd like a potential ALCS match-up with them. As much as I'd hate for the Cubs to be there, I could possibly see an all-Chicago/LA "final four."