PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Dewayne Wise!

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Outside of TCQ and TCM, Wise has to be key acquisition #3 for KW this year. He seems to come up with big hits (i.e. that grand slam Sunday night) and is at least decent in LF. He's hitting the ball with regularity, seeing pitches very well! We wouldn't be where we are today without Dewayne Wise

He seems like a great impact-type player who would look good on a playoff roster's bench if we're there.

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Outside of TCQ and TCM, Wise has to be key acquisition #3 for KW this year.
Ummmm......nope.

Linebrink, Swisher, Cabrera, to name just three, have made bigger contributions overall.

His granny against Detroit is, so far, the only real game changer hit he's had.

Gavin
09-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Nice to have but hasn't done anything to convince me he's more apt than BA to become the next starting Sox OF...

WhiteSoxBlog
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I think today, he found a way to tell Nick Swisher, "If you're gonna swing for the fences every time you're at bat, THIS is how you do it."

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Nice to have but hasn't done anything to convince me he's more apt than BA to become the next starting Sox OF...You had to figure it wouldn't be long until the FOBA's got here. :nod:

Rdy2PlayBall
Forget TDW ... TDWFS
The D-Wheezy Fo Sheezy! :bandance: He has been doing really well since he has gotten the chance to play, and getting a lot of power in his swing too. :D:

stillz
He's certainly raised his MLB stock. I'm happy for him. He's 30 this season. If we make the playoffs, I hope he makes the roster.

DumpJerry
Nice to have but hasn't done anything to convince me he's more apt than BA to become the next starting Sox OF...
BA is a better defensive CFer.

A. Cavatica
09-19-2008, 10:54 PM
He seems like a great impact-type player who would look good on a playoff roster's bench if we're there.

He's a 30-year-old journeyman who is having the hottest week of his career. Yes, he's an impact-type player this week, but I wouldn't go seeking out his rookie card or anything.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm a big supporter of BA; but, I don't think either is ready to start just yet. I think both can make great contributions from the bench, though.

oeo
09-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Ummmm......nope.

Linebrink, Swisher, Cabrera, to name just three, have made bigger contributions overall.

I'd put Carrasco up ahead of Wise, too.

MarySwiss
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Can we please stop the "who's better, Dewayne Wise or (fill in the blank)" crap now?

This is why baseball is a team sport. The Sox are getting it done as a team. And if they continue to do that, all will be well!

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2008, 11:12 PM

Hit the nail on the head.

Although he is not as effective now, I can name countless outings like the one in Texas (Gavin's awful game) where he saved the White Sox bullpen from really imploading 100%.

Carrasco was a huge pick up IMO.

hawkjt
09-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Wise has impressed me all year at the plate and on the paths.

Every team needs a cool,clutch no-namer like him in the playoffs ...pinch hit..he seems to make contact...often good contact. I could see starting him in left in a playoff game vs Shields or Sonnestine or Jackson if TCQ is not ready(not counting on Carlos til maybe ALCS).

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Although he is not as effective now, I can name countless outings like the one in Texas (Gavin's awful game) where he saved the White Sox bullpen from really imploading 100%.

Carrasco was a huge pick up IMO.
He also came in after Contreras went down in his return from the DL against Boston.

gn2727
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
He sure is having a good week though........:bandance:

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM
He also came in after Contreras went down in his return from the DL against Boston.

Indeed. He had many "pick up the pitching staff" performances like that one.

I actually think Ozzie ended up over-using him a bit and is why he looks burnt out now. But Ozzie had no choice with what became of the pen.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:21 PM
I guess my whole premise of making this initially was wondering why people still like to bash Kenny when he's done a hell of a job. I just didn't explicitly say it.

BigP50
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM
anyone else wanna join me in the D. Wise fan club

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Quite true.

I guess my whole premise of making this initially was wondering why people still like to bash Kenny when he's done a hell of a job. I just didn't explicitly say it.
Who has been bashing KW for Wise?

Tragg
09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure how much he has left, but he stabilized this bullpen (at least to some extent) after all of the injuries.

Wise had a big week in June and he was big last weekend. That's pretty much his story.

slavko
09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
You had to figure it wouldn't be long until the FOBA's got here. :nod:

You can always count on certain things.

Scottiehaswheels
09-19-2008, 11:38 PM
As a replacement for Ozuna, post-2006, he's ok to stick around for awhile in my book. Ringing endorsement I know.

jabrch
09-19-2008, 11:56 PM
When he was first called up, the thread with all the geniuses saying he should never get a single AB over BA was just priceless.

Wise has been a very nice surprise.

jabrch
09-19-2008, 11:58 PM

It's a small group of people - and they are wrong.

Tragg
09-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Who ever criticized Williams for acquiring Wise? He picked him up off of the scrap heap and didn't give up anything for him. I've wondered why Guillen plays him so much....
BA is a better baseball player than Wise and has had more key hits this year. But Wise has been good for a player who should be a bench player.

FarWestChicago
09-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Who ever criticized Williams for acquiring Wise? He picked him up off of the scrap heap and didn't give up anything for him. I've wondered why Guillen plays him so much....
BA is a better baseball player than Wise and has had more key hits this year.It's been a tough week for you and your buddy champagne. :redneck

Dub25
09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
D Wise has been huge this week.

soxinem1
09-20-2008, 12:11 AM
#3????

More like #10.

Not to diminish his exploits this year, but a few HR's against pitchers who will be working at the Dollar Store in two weeks is not enough to make him a great aquisition yet.

Granted, I really like the guy plus the energy and hustle he shows. But this road has been traveled 100 times before in MLB, then next year when the guy makes the team in ST, he hits .140.

Tragg
09-20-2008, 12:15 AM
It's been a tough week for you and your buddy champagne. :redneck
Not in the least.
Unlike others, I never elevate personnel above the Sox. Have my opinions about players and moves, state them because I want to, and always root like hell for the Sox to win.
I'm confident that the Sox are going to win the division and am enjoying the pennant race.

FarWestChicago
09-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Not in the least.
Unlike others, I never elevate personnel above the Sox. Have my opinions about players and moves, state them because I want to, and always root like hell for the Sox to win.
I'm confident that the Sox are going to win the division and am enjoying the pennant race.Then why are you so defensive about Wise? Nailed. :yup:

Tragg
09-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Then why are you so defensive about Wise? Nailed. :yup: So what.... I don't think he's particularly good, but he's had a great week and had one in June and hasn't done much in between....and I've said that several times. People should have gone giddy on him Sunday, when he won 2 games for us with his bat.

Lundind1
09-20-2008, 12:37 AM
This guy can play, that was just the spark that we needed to get over this hump, only time will tell if that was the case. What a player, an after thought becomes a hero.

MISoxfan
09-20-2008, 12:41 AM
So what.... I don't think he's particularly good, but he's had a great week and had one in June and hasn't done much in between....and I've said that several times. People should have gone giddy on him Sunday, when he won 2 games for us with his bat.

I heard repeatedly how he was terrible outside of 2 weeks in June, but the guy is a backup player with limited at bats. He hit .375 in June, .292 in Jul, .250 in Aug, and .296 in Sept. I'll take that from a 4th or 5th outfielder any day.

Brian26
09-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Wise's performance is like Ozzie catching lightning in a bottle. He should ride it as long as he can.

I must admit I enjoy Hawk's continuous pimping of Wise as an everyday player.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 02:04 AM

D-Wizzy is a stone cold pimp.

And by stone cold pimp, I mean a mediocre journeyman utility player whose defense scares both me and Daver.

And by that I mean, I'll take any production I can get from anyone on the Sox roster. Trite but true, woot-woot.:bandance:

oeo
09-20-2008, 02:08 AM
So what.... I don't think he's particularly good, but he's had a great week and had one in June and hasn't done much in between....and I've said that several times. People should have gone giddy on him Sunday, when he won 2 games for us with his bat.

So you pick out the two weeks where he's actually played consistently? Wise has been hitting consistently since he got here. Just because he wasn't playing much between June and now doesn't change that fact.

johnnyg83
09-20-2008, 02:09 AM
WHo is our backup 3b and 2b right now?

oeo
09-20-2008, 02:11 AM
WHo is our backup 3b and 2b right now?

As far as I know (maybe I'm wrong), Fields can still play if he's needed...his surgery will come after the season. Jason Bourgeois is our backup at 2B (or depending on the situation, Uribe moves to 2B). I think Bourgeois can play 3B and the outfield, as well (though not particularly well).

JB98
09-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Wise's performance is like Ozzie catching lightning in a bottle. He should ride it as long as he can.

I must admit I enjoy Hawk's continuous pimping of Wise as an everyday player.

The notion that Wise is an everyday player is just ridiculous.

I like Wise as a fourth or fifth outfielder. He has a good enough left-handed bat to be a pinch-hitter. He has enough speed to pinch-run and steal a bag. He's a serviceable defender in the outfield. He helped us in June when Konerko went down. And he's helped us again during this recent spat of injuries.

If they bring Wise back for 2009 in the exact same role he's in now, I would be all for that. An everyday CF? Um, no, that would be a mistake.

Jaffar
09-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I almost started the exact opposite of this thread a couple weeks ago when he was hitting around .200 for the second half, I figured the magic in his bat from the first half was gone but he is the hot bat right now and Ozzie should right it until it goes cold again.

dickallen15
09-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Wise has been very good off the bench. To think when the Sox sent him down earlier this year any team could have had him for nothing and paid him his near minimum salary, and every team passed.

PaleHoser
09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I like the fact he can bunt and go from first to third on a basehit to the outfield. We need some more guys like that.

asindc
09-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I like the fact he can bunt and go from first to third on a basehit to the outfield. We need some more guys like that.

Amen to that!

turners56
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Tha Wise III!

(Hey Mr. Wise)
Hello
(Tell me where you been?)
You know, Chicago
(They been asking, they been searching, they be wondering why)
Ha, Yeah, I know

Dweezy fo sheezy.

Dan Mega
09-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Ummmm......nope.

I wouldn't say that. Swisher is making Konerko look good at the plate.

LJS1993
09-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Wise is going to be in the league for a long time. I see him as one of those guys who may never be a consistent starter for any team, but a guy who will always be a serviceable fourth outfielder on some good clubs.

turners56
09-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Wise is going to be in the league for a long time. I see him as one of those guys who may never be a consistent starter for any team, but a guy who will always be a serviceable fourth outfielder on some good clubs.

He's been in the minors for like the last 8 years. I don't think he's going to stick around for that many more years. He's already 30.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, to be fair, Konerko's bat has been much livelier in the past month.

LJS1993
09-20-2008, 04:30 PM
He's been in the minors for like the last 8 years. I don't think he's going to stick around for that many more years. He's already 30.

True, very true. Well, if the guy can continue being a good spare part, he could hang for two to three perhaps.

MISoxfan
09-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Konerko is making Konerko look good at the plate.