PDA

View Full Version : Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is

doublem23
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
1.5 game lead. 9 games left. Magic Number 9. You know the rest.

The White Sox: In or out this October?

jabrch
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I see no reason to believe they won't be in it right down to the end. :-)

Mr.1Dog
09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
In.

esbrechtel
09-19-2008, 02:31 PM
IN! Let's get it done! :D:

Noneck
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
At this point of season with a 1.5 game lead with 9 to go, Everyone knows they will be in it to the very end but will they do it, that is the question for the non bet hedgers. They will do it.

sox1970
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
In...but it will be 10-11 days of torture.

Chicken Dinner
09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Ask me Sunday night. :D:

D. TODD
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Sneaking in through the back door still gets you to the same place. Once they are in you start off from scratch. Survive and advance baby, survive and advance!

bluestar
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
In.

I think if the Sox can just manage to go 2 - 4 in the next six games, they will win the division. They will be back at home for the remainder of the regular season at the point, and I think they will be fine there.

cards press box
09-19-2008, 02:44 PM
In!

ChiSoxFan7
09-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I just can't come to any other realization but making the playoffs.

we've got the leaders, the youth, and the twins are a failing team in the end.

GO GO GO WHITESOX!:bandance:

Vestigio
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
In, eventhough they don't really deserve it with the way they have been playing.

I want Mags back
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
no. KC will give us fits, we win just one. Twins will get 2 of the next 3 from TB. It's all over with from there

kevingrt
09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
no. KC will give us fits, we win just one. Twins will get 2 of the next 3 from TB. It's all over with from there

You are going to pay for it a week from today.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Make the postseason? Definitely.

Get to the ALCS? Dunno.

Get to the WS? Sorry....I am thinking no. I just don't think there's enough there to completely survive. If hitting fails, pitching can't carry it. We've seen the bullpen implode of late, and you can only hope it's temporary.

I want to be wrong....

jsg-07
09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I have never really considered that they would not make it in, my worry is what they do when they get there. I just want them to win with a little momentum because obviously anything can happen in the post-season. Lets just say if we can put a nice stretch together over the next nine games, winning enough to win the division, but also looking strong while doing it, I will feel much better.

Madvora
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Yes, they will make they playoffs, but they're really not earning their way there. This is the fluke of the century that the Twins haven't just blown by us. If they haven't done it by now, I don't see when they will.
I think they Sox will get murdered in the first round though.

turners56
09-19-2008, 03:19 PM
We have the upper hand in schedule and we have the upper hand in the standings. If this team plays like it's supposed to in the next week, we should be able to take this thing by a game or two.

areilly
09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes, they will make they playoffs, but they're really not earning their way there. This is the fluke of the century that the Twins haven't just blown by us. If they haven't done it by now, I don't see when they will.
I think they Sox will get murdered in the first round though.

Fluke of the century is a pretty bold statement, even though we're only a few years into this one. I concur with the non-earnings and murder parts, though.

Madvora
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Fluke of the century is a pretty bold statement, even though we're only a few years into this one. I concur with the non-earnings and murder parts, though.
What I mean is that the Twins never seem to go on losing streaks and they are playing worse than we are right now. For many, many years, the Twins have been incredibly consistent and this year, if they could have remained consistent, they would have blown right by us.

stevied23
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
It brings me no pleasure to say this but I think they won't make it.

Stagnant offense, the bullpen has completely collapsed, we play a very hot KC team on the road, and we close out at a place where we statistically had little success.

Not to mention the many opportunities they have squandered to put some distance between themselves and the Twins.

Don't hate on me.......just my .02 cents

pmck003
09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I say yes; Sox have done pretty good bouncing back at home after struggling on the road and hopefully 1 in the Twinkedome will do it. Who knows about the playoffs, there's enough veterans who can step up if Danks/Floyd/Buehrle can keep it going. Cabrera has looked impressive during the last two series; Konerko seems to be in form too. Key on if Dye/Thome/AJ (and maybe Griffey or Quentin) and Dotel/Linebrink turn it on.

Edit: thought KC was at home for some reason, hopefully can take two still and apply what I said to the Cleveland series

Frankfan4life
09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Considering where we are at this point, I say in. It's better to be 1.5 up than 1.5 down.

I can't worry about what the Sox might do in the playoffs because I'm doing enough worrying about getting there. :wired::help:

jdm2662
09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
They just haven't done too well against the AL East all season. They have done well within the division. We will see if the trend continues.

voodoochile
09-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Where's the **** YES option!

**** THE TWINKIES!!! (AND THEIR LITTLE DOG TOO...)

:churrosarmy:
"Sweet deep fried cream filled pastries for all my friends..."

doublem23
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Make the postseason? Definitely.

Get to the ALCS? Dunno.

Get to the WS? Sorry....I am thinking no. I just don't think there's enough there to completely survive. If hitting fails, pitching can't carry it. We've seen the bullpen implode of late, and you can only hope it's temporary.

I want to be wrong....

Impossible to determine the post-season now. The only thing any of us should be worrying about is finishing the regular season strong. After that, it's anybody's guess.

Lundind1
09-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I hate backing in. I vote yes. I don't know why....I guess I just have to like our chances at this juncture. Something big is going to happen, but I don't know what and how good or bad.

JB98
09-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll be sorely disappointed if this team fails.

They are better than the Twins. Get it done. Period.

Madscout
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
We have the pitching and schedule. No reason we can't do it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Impossible to determine the post-season now. The only thing any of us should be worrying about is finishing the regular season strong. After that, it's anybody's guess.

You're right....as I said, they're in for the playoffs but I guess selfishness kicks in. If they get in I want them to go all the way, just don't know if they can.

I want Mags back
09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
You are going to pay for it a week from today.

ive never been a very confident person when it comes to this team

LoveYourSuit
09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
In.

We will take 2 of 3 in Minn.

I thought we had 10 games left? :scratch:

Anyway, winning the divsion does not satisfy me when the competition in it has been so bad. Tallest Midget .... yes, I used that old line again.

SoxGirl4Life
09-19-2008, 05:09 PM
In.

We will take 2 of 3 in Minn.

I thought we had 10 games left? :scratch:

Anyway, winning the divsion does not satisfy me when the competition in it has been so bad. Tallest Midget .... yes, I used that old line again.

10 includes that last game against the Tigers if we have to play it to determine the Central. 9 if we can wrap it up before then.

whitesox901
09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes with a 2.5 game lead

jabrch
09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
This is the fluke of the century that the Twins haven't just blown by us.

I think it is more a fluke that they are anywhere close to us. With this pitching staff they have they should be 10 games back.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I think we have 10 dark clouds here. Of course, we're making the playoffs.

voodoochile
09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
I think we have 10 dark clouds here. Of course, we're making the playoffs.

That's just all that's left. The minute the playoffs are over the rest will be back to start reminding us how much smarter they are than the rest of us and how so long as KW and OG are running the show the Sox are totally ****ed.

Right now they are in hiding because the cacophony of cheering visions of jerseys proudly worn and spontaneous high-fiving causes them to break out in hives. It also damages their ego like a stake to Dracula's heart to have to admit they were wrong so they simply disappear and then try to mingle with a new set of Sox fans telling them how they knew it all along.

Come the first off season trade/acquisition that doesn't go the Sox ways, they'll be back, shouting and screeching and in general acting like 2008 never happened or telling us all to stop living in the past, KW clearly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and the last 4 years have been a fluke.

In short, they'll be back to their happy go trollin' ways...

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 11:13 PM
ive never been a very confident person when it comes to this teamBut you have a ****bag, loser team like IU football in your sig? :roflmao:

Adele_H
09-19-2008, 11:14 PM
The White Sox: In or out this October?

In.

By 5+ games. :smile:

FarWestChicago
09-19-2008, 11:14 PM
That's just all that's left. The minute the playoffs are over the rest will be back to start reminding us how much smarter they are than the rest of us and how so long as KW and OG are running the show the Sox are totally ****ed.

Right now they are in hiding because the cacophony of cheering visions of jerseys proudly worn and spontaneous high-fiving causes them to break out in hives. It also damages their ego like a stake to Dracula's heart to have to admit they were wrong so they simply disappear and then try to mingle with a new set of Sox fans telling them how they knew it all along.

Come the first off season trade/acquisition that doesn't go the Sox ways, they'll be back, shouting and screeching and in general acting like 2008 never happened or telling us all to stop living in the past, KW clearly doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and the last 4 years have been a fluke.

In short, they'll be back to their happy go trollin' ways...The Resident WSI Genius GM's in a nutshell. :D:

Cuck the Fubs
09-19-2008, 11:47 PM
In.

See you all at the 2008 banner unveiling.

areilly
09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
In short, they'll be back to their happy go trollin' ways...

Even a team as flawed as this one would have to go out of their way to not make it into the playoffs. Make no mistake, I look forward to pissing off the Pollyannas of this board plenty this winter, but at least allow me to acknowledge the obvious. Or does not putting blind faith in the likes of Nick Swisher waive my right to hope for the best?

voodoochile
09-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Even a team as flawed as this one would have to go out of their way to not make it into the playoffs. Make no mistake, I look forward to pissing off the Pollyannas of this board plenty this winter, but at least allow me to acknowledge the obvious. Or does not putting blind faith in the likes of Nick Swisher waive my right to hope for the best?
welcome aboard, about damned time...:D:

SoxSpeed22
09-20-2008, 01:13 AM
I am strangely optimistic about our chances. If the Twins were going to overtake us, they would have done it a long time ago.
I think we'll get into the playoffs. How far we get is anybody's guess.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Lay faith true in two riders from the West. He who Swishes will arrive loudly, and the other will arrive in quiet. The quiet man will save your band of misfits, young Kenneth, and he will save them when they need it most. You will know him not by name, but by the trail of shattered sticks left in his wake."

Oldie but a funnie, Andrew.

I think it's commendable how you stuck to your guns all along, whether rightly or wrongly.

areilly
09-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Oldie but a funnie, Andrew.

I think it's commendable how you stuck to your guns all along, whether rightly or wrongly.

I'm not sure you're really using that in the right context, dumping a blurb from a thread about how anything happening here is entirely the result of Kenny Williams' "plan" and not a function of the Tigers, Indians, and now the Twins magically disappearing, into a thread about Sox needing an epic disaster to miss the postseason.

But I'll say it again: I still don't think the Sox are that good. I still think it's a long shot (at best) for them to get out of the ALDS. I still think getting Griffey was a desperation move and the closest thing we'll see to an admission of failure on the Swisher trade. I still think the bullpen is shaky. I still think the offense is about as one-dimensional as they come. I still think the defense is suspect. I still think the team they actually built is the antithesis of the one KW and OG talk so much **** about intending to build.

Yes, they're in first place and yes, they're far more likely than not to make the playoffs. Yes, I hope they go all the way and yes, I'll be watching every second of every game.

And yes, anything's possible. Yes, it's October and new season/grinder/grit/2005/four touchdowns in a single game. The Sox are also the winningest team in an extremely weak division and got to that point by brutalizing crappy teams and struggling against good ones, so take it for what it's worth.

You never seem to quote the parts where I say things about wanting them to win. Maybe I don't find it worth my time to come here and write love letters to players for doing what we already knew they could do. But hey, you know, I must have forgotten true fans don't find fault in their favorite teams. How silly of me. Obviously I am an idiot.

:rolleyes:

doublem23
09-20-2008, 09:55 AM
And yes, anything's possible. Yes, it's October and new season/grinder/grit/2005/four touchdowns in a single game. The Sox are also the winningest team in an extremely weak division and got to that point by brutalizing crappy teams and struggling against good ones, so take it for what it's worth.

The Red Sawx, who everyone is anointing as maybe the favorite to come out of the American League, is currently 40-44 against teams .500 or better and 50-19 against sub-.500 teams, so what is your point?

Good teams beat up bad teams and struggle with other good teams? I'm shocked.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure you're really using that in the right context, dumping a blurb from a thread about how anything happening here is entirely the result of Kenny Williams' "plan" and not a function of the Tigers, Indians, and now the Twins magically disappearing, into a thread about Sox needing an epic disaster to miss the postseason.

But I'll say it again: I still don't think the Sox are that good. I still think it's a long shot (at best) for them to get out of the ALDS. I still think getting Griffey was a desperation move and the closest thing we'll see to an admission of failure on the Swisher trade. I still think the bullpen is shaky. I still think the offense is about as one-dimensional as they come. I still think the defense is suspect. I still think the team they actually built is the antithesis of the one KW and OG talk so much **** about intending to build.

Yes, they're in first place and yes, they're far more likely than not to make the playoffs. Yes, I hope they go all the way and yes, I'll be watching every second of every game.

You never seem to quote the parts where I say things about wanting them to win. Maybe I don't find it worth my time to come here and write love letters to players for doing what we already knew they could do. But hey, you know, I must have forgotten true fans don't find fault in their favorite teams. How silly of me. Obviously I am an idiot.

:rolleyes:

No, no - you misunderstooded completely. I thought the quoted passage was genuinely funny in and of itself; and I really do admire your courageous anti-KW stance - as much as I disagree** with it - because it's dangerous to have it on this particular board.

(** - Well, I do agree that Swisher sucks, but that's neither here nor there.)

I am not confident Sox will win the World Series this year, either, to tell you the troov.....but I'll tell you one thing: Sox better show up to play every.single.game.like.it's.their.last.one. I don't want to see a repeat of 2000 when the team we murdered in the regular season out-smarted & out-hussled us 3 straight in October.:mad:

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't want to see a repeat of 2000 when the team we murdered in the regular season out-smarted & out-hussled us 3 straight in October.:mad:
I wouldn't say going 7-5 against someone in the regular season is "murdering" them.

mccoydp
09-20-2008, 04:02 PM
The Sox in the postseason? You betcha.

The Twinkies had so many chances to put the Sox down over the last two months, and they couldn't get them more than 1 game behind them. I see no reason why they will now.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't say going 7-5 against someone in the regular season is "murdering" them.

At Comiskey, Sox slaughtered them. Homefield advantage in ALDS. Do the math.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
At Comiskey, Sox slaughtered them. Homefield advantage in ALDS. Do the math.
They finished 3-2 against them at home. The three wins were pretty huge; but, the fact that they still lost two at home negates that, since it doesn't matter the score, but just if you win.