PDA

View Full Version : The Official: I'm getting nervous thread

BigP50
09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Honestly we should sweep the Royals this week. But you never know. We have really struggled in KC this year.

Luckily the Twins are playing the Rays.

we have a 1.5 game lead right now. It would be nice if we could get that up to a 3 game lead going into the Minny series

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
We have been handed opportunity after opportunity and have blown many of them. I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach right now like there is now tomorrow. I just feel aweful.

cards press box
09-18-2008, 10:00 PM
The Sox currently have 84 wins with 10 games left to play, including the 1 game with Detroit. It's probably going to take 89 or 90 wins to take the Central. I think the Sox will do it.

DSpivack
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
The Sox currently have 84 wins with 10 games left to play, including the 1 game with Detroit. It's probably going to take 89 or 90 wins to take the Central. I think the Sox will do it.

Only if necessary. :tongue:

That said, I'm optimistic but not confident that the Sox will take the division. Sure, the Royals are the Royals, but they also have won 7 straight. I'll be very surprised if we take any more than 1 game in Minnesota, thus I'd like to go in with a 2.5 game lead. It'll be a very nervous weekend.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM

I think there is actually 9.

we should be able to. The people that made the schedule it seems like they new this was going to happen and they wanted us to win the division but the Sox are taking the opportunity. Just have to make sure that we take advantage of easy games. Cough Cough KC and Home against the Tribe

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Only if necessary. :tongue:

That said, I'm optimistic but not confident that the Sox will take the division. Sure, the Royals are the Royals, but they also have won 7 straight. I'll be very surprised if we take any more than 1 game in Minnesota, this I'd like to go in with a 2.5 game lead. It'll be a very nervous weekend.

a 3 game would be the best because if we get swept then we would still be tied. but a 2.5 game lead would be great cuz I doubt we get swept.

DSpivack
09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I think there is actually 9.

we should be able to. The people that made the schedule it seems like they new this was going to happen and they wanted us to win the division but the Sox are taking the opportunity. Just have to make sure that we take advantage of easy games. Cough Cough KC and Home against the Tribe

3 @ KC, 3 @ Minnesota, 3 home vs Indians. 1 if necessary vs Detroit. So 9 or 10.

Soxman219
09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
DO NOT TAKE THE ROYALS LIGHTLY! Who cares about the Twins-Rays. If we win our games it won't matter if they win. Until I hear the White Sox are the AL Central Division Champs, I'm on the edge of my seat and eating Tums!

asindc
09-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Honestly we should sweep the Royals this week. But you never know. We have really struggled in KC this year.

we have a 1.5 game lead right now. It would be nice if we could get that up to a 3 game lead going into the Minny series

You didn't honestly think the Twinkees were going to keep losing every time the Sox lost, did you? At some point, they were going to experience an awful bullpen themselves. I understand your anxiety, but I'm glad the Sox are where they are in the standings, squandered opportunities notwithstanding. As long as the Sox lose one game less than the Twinkees between now and Sept. 29, I can deal with the momentary bumps along the way.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
DO NOT TAKE THE ROYALS LIGHTLY! Who cares about the Twins-Rays. If we win our games it won't matter if they win. Until I hear the White Sox are the AL Central Division Champs, I'm on the edge of my seat and eating Tums!

I fasho aint taken them lightly, we probably have a loosing record at there stadium this year.

It's simple, we win were in. But it doesn't hurt to get help from the Rays :D:

doublem23
09-18-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd rather be in our shoes than theres, but they're not making this easy or enjoyable.

D'Sphitz
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
We have been handed opportunity after opportunity and have blown many of them. I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach right now like there is now tomorrow. I just feel aweful.

Well, Twins fans are saying the exact same thing. Both teams have had many opportunities to pull ahead, neither have stepped up. I guess it will come down to who plays the least bad this next week...

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I'd rather be in our shoes than theres, but they're not making this easy or enjoyable.

amen to that.

It seems like when ever we win they win, when we lose they lose, they win we lose. I no it happens but It almost never seems like we win they lose.

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm going to look at it like this. They went to New York with 1 1/2 game lead and left with a 1 1/2 game lead. Now there are fewer games on the schedule. As long as there are no more rain outs we should not have to worry about Javy pitching on 3 days rest. Like a previous poster said, the Sox win, who cares what the Twins do. Am I nervous? Yes. But I think as long as the Sox take 2 out of 3 in K.C. and the Rays take the next 2 out of 3 the Sox will be ok.

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
amen to that.

It seems like when ever we win they win, when we lose they lose, they win we lose. I no it happens but It almost never seems like we win they lose.

It happened just this past Tuesday. :smile:

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:14 PM
it's funny, I have actually been more nervous following the Twins games more then the Sox games

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
it's funny, I have actually been more nervous following the Twins games more then the Sox games

I wasn't tonight but the last three nights I was... about the Twins that is. Maybe I should go back in the bathroom and be nervous when the Twins are on my TV.

BigP50
man I can't wait for tomorrow's game!

BigP50
I wasn't tonight but the last three nights I was... about the Twins that is. Maybe I should go back in the bathroom and be nervous when the Twins are on my TV.

I know but I get the ESPN text alerts and I kept checking those

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:19 PM
man I can't wait for tomorrow's game!

Amen... This is going to be a long 21 hours. However, with that being said, I'm wearing my J Dye jersey with pride to casual Friday work tomorrow. Then I'll come home and have my 16oz. plastic Miller's, yes just like at the Cell, ready to go for a 7:10 first pitch.

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I know but I get the ESPN text alerts and I kept checking those

I have the baseball package and now I have a 2nd tv in the living room to keep an eye on those $%*&** Twins.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Too many people pay attention to the Twins. The White Sox take care of business the Twins don't matter. If they can't win they shouldn't be in the playoffs. Quite simple if you think about it. The sox lose and don't make the playoffs it is their fault and they must look to improving this team next year.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm going to look at it like this. They went to New York with 1 1/2 game lead and left with a 1 1/2 game lead. Now there are fewer games on the schedule.
What a great way of looking at it! All we need is for that lead to remain > 1, and we're in without playing the make-up game.

Another thing to keep in mind: The Twins had the easiest of the four games tonight. Tomorrow, they face Edwin Jackson, and then Saturday and Sunday, they face Kazmir and Sonnanstine, who are both absolutely filthy.

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
What a great way of looking at it! All we need is for that lead to remain > 1, and we're in without playing the make-up game.

Another thing to keep in mind: The Twins had the easiest of the four games tonight. Tomorrow, they face Edwin Jackson, and then Saturday and Sunday, they face Kazmir and Sonnanstine, who are both absolutely filthy.

Yes, I agree. Plus, with the way the Rays play at home, I just can't believe they will give up double digit runs again.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
school is gonna suck tomorrow.

This is all I finna be thinkin' about.

who's pitchin for the Sox?

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Yes, I agree. Plus, with the way the Rays play at home, I just can't believe they will give up double digit runs again.
Look at how they responded after the first game against Boston in both Rays/Carmines series these past two weeks. I think they'll respond well. They WANT that division. They do not want to face the Angels.
school is gonna suck tomorrow.

This is all I finna be thinkin' about.

who's pitchin for the Sox?
Buehrle

itsnotrequired
09-18-2008, 10:28 PM
nervousness is for the weak

Soxman219
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Hell, I wish the game started right now. :smile:

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Brian Bannister going for the Royals tomorrow.

he started the year 4-0 and is now 8-15.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Scouting Report:
White Sox: Buehrle basically made one significant mistake over six innings on Monday at Yankee Stadium, but Xavier Nady's two-run home run and a lack of White Sox offense was enough to leave the left-hander with just his second no-decision in the last 17 starts. Buehrle struck out six and didn't walk a hitter, allowing six hits, before exiting after 101 pitches to keep his count manageable in case he's needed on short rest. Buehrle has a 2-2 record against the Royals this season, including an Aug. 2 shellacking in which he allowed 14 hits and eight runs over 4 1/3 innings at Kauffman Stadium. He has an 18-8 career mark against the Royals and will be pitching on three days' rest to set him up to face Minnesota on regular rest.
Royals: The long, dreary countdown on Bannister finally ended on Sunday. After 13 straight starts without a victory, he pitched six innings and won a blowout over the Indians. After giving up three first-inning runs as eight batters marched to the plate, he retired 15 of 17 hitters in the next five innings to end his drought. Bannister pitched to contact nicely, getting 11 flyouts, five groundouts and just two strikeouts. He's faced the White Sox three times this year, going 0-1 with a 7.56 ERA.

DrCrawdad
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I am not so much nervous as settled in my heart that the Sox are good, but not the best team in the AL this year. That doesn't mean that I'm without hope, it's just that I not going to hurt or shocked should they fall short this season.

I love the Sox, but I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking fan like fans of some other teams. I love the Sox but I'd like to think I'm realistic.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2008, 11:50 PM
The Royals always seem to play the Sox tooth and nail, remember at one point they won five of seven against them. It would be a bad mistake to overlook these guys.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I fasho aint taken them lightly

This is all I finna be thinkin' about.Spare me. The ghettos of Glen Ellyn.

SBSoxFan
09-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Spare me. The ghettos of Glen Ellyn.

Is that language people actually use? I thought it was just really bad typing!

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Is that language people actually use? I thought it was just really bad typing!There was plenty of that, and bad spelling to boot, but those are exactly as he intended them.

nsdjoe
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
umm.. ***? let him talk/type how he wants.:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Thus continuing the dumbing down of America.

oeo
09-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Nerves are for the weak.

JB98
09-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I can't say that I'm nervous. Mostly, I'm just angry. I hate losing.

doublem23
09-19-2008, 01:01 AM

You're free to type how you want, but if you're going to write like an idiot, be prepared for criticism.

Daver
09-19-2008, 01:08 AM

He can go right ahead, and he, like you that doesn't know what the shift key is, will get ignored by a good percentage of the members here. If you can't make the effort to make your posts readable I can't make the effort to read them.

Harry Potter
09-19-2008, 01:10 AM
You're free to type how you want, but if you're going to write like an idiot, be prepared for criticism.

At least he's slowed down his post count. He had something like 150 posts his first day on here.

But back to the thread at hand. Getting nervous? I've been nervous for weeks! :(:

hawkjt
09-19-2008, 01:32 AM
The Royals are playing better than the Sox right now,that is clear.
I figure realistically the Sox will lose 2 of 3 and the twins win 2 of 3 still leaving the Sox one up in the loss column. Not the end of the world. Go into the dome and take 2 of 3 and be right back at 1.5 up. Then win the first 2 vs cleveland while the royals take 1 from the twins and it is over.
This scenario would be wonderful but very stressful. Wish the team was more fun to watch right now.

oeo
09-19-2008, 01:40 AM
The Royals are playing better than the Sox right now,that is clear.

How clear is it, really? The Sox just came off a 4-game set against the Yankees. The Royals just came off one against Seattle. Quite a difference there. :dunno:

white sox bill
09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
I still like our chances here. Even though we are imitating the Chokers quite well. We are not only under the radar, we are totally off the screen.

IF we hold off Minny for Division, and IF we continue to play like we have, I'm sure other playoff teams are drooling to play us. Can't blame them.....

oeo
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
I still like our chances here. Even though we are imitating the Chokers quite well. We are not only under the radar, we are totally off the screen.

I wouldn't really consider this 'choking.' We've been doing the same thing over the past two months. Luckily, the Twins are worse than us.

IF we hold off Minny for Division, and IF we continue to play like we have, I'm sure other playoff teams are drooling to play us. Can't blame them.....

Good starting pitching and a lineup that can take you deep 1-9? Okay, maybe we haven't been able to string a good streak together this year, but this isn't a bad team.

cards press box
09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Good starting pitching and a lineup that can take you deep 1-9? Okay, maybe we haven't been able to string a good streak together this year, but this isn't a bad team.

And don't forget, Carlos Quentin might be back for October. A healthy Quentin would certainly give the White Sox a boost.

And one more thing: the Six would only use a 4 man rotation in the playoffs. If Clayton Richard can come close to matching his performance at Yankee Stadium the other night, he will upgrade the bullpen.

And yet one more thing (I'm starting to remind myself of the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition sketch") -- several key White Six players have experience going deep into the playoffs. That is quite valuable, too.

I know that other teams in the AL have been better during the season. But the White Six have: (a) an elite closer, (b) three shortstops in the infield providing great infield defense, (c) solid starting pitching and (d) power. The Six could make some noise in October.

asindc
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM

I agree 100% with this statement. Took me three turns to realize he meant to type it like that. Fo' sho'.

asindc
09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

The playoffs will be a different dynamic, for all the reasons noted above and because there are multiple days off. This team is tired and banged up, just like Minny, Boston, and TB. That's why I personally want to see them clinch it in Minny as soon as possible to set the rotation and rest some guys.

I think that was one of the keys to the 2005 run. Ozzie had alll weekend to set up things just right. Ask Boston fans about 2005, and they will tell you having to pitch Schilling the last day of the regular season threw everything out of whack for them. The Sox most likely would have beat them anyway, being that they were the better team, but still...

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Dear Chicago White Sox,

Please win the division this year because I'd rather not be forced to watch the Bears this fall....

soxfanatlanta
09-19-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't want to sound like a Pollyana, but I'm just thrilled that KW somehow managed to put together a team far superior to last year. I was hoping for a 500 ball club, but my expectations were exceeded, and now we have a playoff race to boot. I don't expect this team to go deep into October, but hell - I am wrong all the time.

cws05champ
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't want to sound like a Pollyana, but I'm just thrilled that KW somehow managed to put together a team far superior to last year. I was hoping for a 500 ball club, but my expectations were exceeded, and now we have a playoff race to boot. I don't expect this team to go deep into October, but hell - I am wrong all the time.

I completely agree. I went into the season saying " If we are in the hunt in mid Sept I can't ask for much more". Well, guess what, we are 1.5 up with 9 to go. Obviously now I want more, and want them to make the postseason. It's funny how our expectations at the beginning of the season are thrown out the window as the season goes along.

I think the weather (yes the weather) will be a big factor over the next 10 days. The Sox always hit better (especially Alexei) when it is warm, and it is supposed to be a nice warmer weekend in KC....not sure how it will be in Chicago next weekend. Lets hope they pull their **** together and can win 1-2 in the hump dome as well.

russ99
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't overlook the Royals, they're hot, they've won 7 in a row.

But every time the Sox have had a rough stretch, the Royals have been the perfect medicine. Hopefully that's the case this time as well.

I have no gripes with the starting pitching, but the pen has to nut up the rest of the way. Maybe Dotel's garbage time outing last night vs. the Yanks got him a little more straight. That said, I don't want to see Ramirez or Wassermann the rest of the way unless we're up or down by over 6 runs.

There's no excuse for the lack of preparation, execution and the hangdog attitudes at the plate this time of year, injuries or not. It's obvious now that Walker has to go this offseason, whether we make postseason or not.

oeo
09-19-2008, 09:47 AM
And don't forget, Carlos Quentin might be back for October. A healthy Quentin would certainly give the White Sox a boost.

And one more thing: the Six would only use a 4 man rotation in the playoffs. If Clayton Richard can come close to matching his performance at Yankee Stadium the other night, he will upgrade the bullpen.

And yet one more thing (I'm starting to remind myself of the Monty Python "Spanish Inquisition sketch") -- several key White Six players have experience going deep into the playoffs. That is quite valuable, too.

I know that other teams in the AL have been better during the season. But the White Six have: (a) an elite closer, (b) three shortstops in the infield providing great infield defense, (c) solid starting pitching and (d) power. The Six could make some noise in October.

Who are the White Six? :redneck

Don't overlook the Royals, they're hot, they've won 7 in a row.

But every time the Sox have had a rough stretch, the Royals have been the perfect medicine. Hopefully that's the case this time as well.

I have no gripes with the starting pitching, but the pen has to nut up the rest of the way. Maybe Dotel's garbage time outing last night vs. the Yanks got him a little more straight. That said, I don't want to see Ramirez or Wassermann the rest of the way unless we're up or down by over 6 runs.

There's no excuse for the lack of preparation, execution and the hangdog attitudes at the plate this time of year, injuries or not. It's obvious now that Walker has to go this offseason, whether we make postseason or not.

I'd definitely like to see someone that focuses more on fundamental hitting, and stresses it everyday. I hate the Twins love, but they supposedly practice situational hitting every day in batting practice, which is probably why they're so good at it. If everyone is practicing getting the runner over, laying down a bunt, going the other way, etc. every day, chances are things are going to improve.

But at this point, I think we're dreaming. Walker should have been given the boot two years ago.

D. TODD
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm to the point where I'm just hoping that the Twins are worse then the Sox are from here on out. Just stumble into the tournament as the lowest seed in the A.L., and get after the Angels/Red Sox/Rays in a series and see if we can get hot. We are still in good shape to get there, and that is all that matters. Qualify for the tournament then survive and advance!

oeo
09-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm to the point where I'm just hoping that the Twins are worse then the Sox are from here on out. Just stumble into the tournament as the lowest seed in the A.L., and get after the Angels/Red Sox/Rays in a series and see if we can get hot. We are still in good shape to get there, and that is all that matters. Qualify for the tournament then survive and advance!

We won't be the lowest seed (the Wild Card will be), and the Angels are out of the question for the first round.

Bucky F. Dent
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Right there with you, brother.

guillensdisciple
09-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Mark Buerhle is actually the type of pitcher who throws better on short rest. I worry about Danks though on such short rest, I am not sure if he has every experienced it.

getonbckthr
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
We are taking at least 2 of 3 in Minnesota. My reasoning for the past month all we've heard is that Minnesota is saying how if they can be within 3 games going into this series the division is theirs to lose. Thats a cocky attitude to have and one not familar to the Twins. Over confidence will be their downfall.

guillensdisciple
09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
We are taking at least 2 of 3 in Minnesota. My reasoning for the past month all we've heard is that Minnesota is saying how if they can be within 3 games going into this series the division is theirs to lose. Thats a cocky attitude to have and one not familar to the Twins. Over confidence will be their downfall.

I don't think anyone from minnesota has been dumb enough to say this out loud. Perhaps some writer thought that but something tells me Gardenhire would kill the player who said that.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
OEO:

For what it's worth I asked one of the beat writers about this (i.e. situational hitting in BP) when it first came up here at WSI a few months ago.

They kept an eye out and got back to me saying the Sox did it everyday, that the reports of doing nothing but hitting home runs in BP were false.

It just appears that this particular bunch of hitters are terrible at doing things other then hitting home runs.

Lip

09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Who are the White Six? :redneck

Konerko, Thome, Swisher, Buehrle, Toby and BA

D. TODD
09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
We won't be the lowest seed (the Wild Card will be), and the Angels are out of the question for the first round.
I'm aware that the wild card plays the top record, but if seeds were given out we would clearly be the lowest seed (weakest team to qualify), and to get through the A.L. bracket the Angels are a big part of the question. A little October madness once we sneak into the dance is what I'm hoping for.

IronFisk
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Nice attitude. We are better than what we thought at the start. Still, plenty of games should have been ours for the taking.

assrevolution
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't really consider this 'choking.' We've been doing the same thing over the past two months. Luckily, the Twins are worse than us.

Leading the division practically the whole year and blowing it at the end to an inferior team would be choking. I don't know of a better word to describe this scenario.

I hope Bueherle can step it up again tonight and shut them down. I know Hawk has two speeches ready.

1) "Mark was called upon to step it up and he does it. All hail Mark!"
2) "This KC team is relaxed, how else can you explain 15 hits in the first 5 innings."

I don't want to hear his 2nd one. If playing relaxed is such an 'advantage' then ALL 1st place teams should have losing records in September.

JB98
09-19-2008, 12:39 PM

I just wish the White Sox would show a little confidence. It's getting harder for me to have faith in them, when they don't seem to have faith in themselves.

Right now, the club looks like they are waiting for something bad to happen out on the field.

RCWHITESOX
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm right there with you; but if the Sox really want this it's there for the taking. They also need to get on a role to gather some momentum to make it through the playoffs; because if they just back into it they surely won't go far.

oeo
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Leading the division practically the whole year and blowing it at the end to an inferior team would be choking. I don't know of a better word to describe this scenario.

The Twins have had an opportunity to overtake us for two months now, they just haven't done it. It's not like the Sox have been rolling all year, and bam, they lose the division right at the end. They've been mediocre since July.

guillensdisciple
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
If the white sox aren't playing with fire now they don't deserve to be in the playoffs, doesn't matter who we play. They should have beaten every team this month or at least given each one a hell of a fight because they are in the fight of their lives.

The Immigrant
09-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Leading the division practically the whole year and blowing it at the end to an inferior team would be choking.

Not when you consider the Sox lost the leading MVP candidate, their fifth starter, key setup man, and All-Star third baseman for the stretch run.

I'd like to see how many games the Twins would win without Morneau. We're playing .500 without Quention, and that's about what we are without him - a .500 ballclub.

Iwritecode
09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I think the team is just way too tight right now. They aren't playing loose and comfortable, like KC has been the past week or so...

guillensdisciple
09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Not when you consider the Sox lost the leading MVP candidate, their fifth starter, key setup man, and All-Star third baseman for the stretch run.

I'd like to see how many games the Twins would win without Morneau. We're playing .500 without Quention, and that's about what we are without him - a .500 ballclub.

Hate making excuses but that is a very good point. Take out Morneau, one of their five starters, their third basemen, and best set-up man and see where they are.

They would be the worst team in baseball. Luckily for the sox we have some talent on the side so we can actually contend with such a destroyed team.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Hate making excuses but that is a very good point. Take out Morneau, one of their five starters, their third basemen, and best set-up man and see where they are.All of them?

hawkjt
09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
How clear is it, really? The Sox just came off a 4-game set against the Yankees. The Royals just came off one against Seattle. Quite a difference there. :dunno:

KC is 7-0 in the last week.
Sox are 3-4 in the last week.

I maintain that the Royals are playing better than the sox in that period.
I admit I could be wrong.
But just one big hit tonite and the sox could play better in the next week.
That's baseball. Go Sox.

spiffie
09-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Hate making excuses but that is a very good point. Take out Morneau, one of their five starters, their third basemen, and best set-up man and see where they are.

They would be the worst team in baseball. Luckily for the sox we have some talent on the side so we can actually contend with such a destroyed team.

All of them?
Well, they have lost both Crede and Fields to injury, so the plural would be correct here.

kjhanson
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, they have lost both Crede and Fields to injury, so the plural would be correct here.
I'm sure the necessary bandwidth for this site would be cut in half if tony didn't start his "look-at-me" threads, scottyj wasn't in love with Toby Hall, and if nellie stopped over-complaining about grammar.

But since I am on the subject of grammar and Professor Nellie_Fox - anyone else find it ironic that he has a grammatical error in the quote in his signature?

Back to the White Sox. It's no secret that I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to this franchise, but I don't fear the situation we're in at all. Since July 26th the top two teams in the Central have been within 2.5 games of each other. We've been running neck and neck with the Twins for some time, so this is not a new situation for our guys. We're up two games in the loss column, we have that last Detroit game at HOME if we need it, and we have the Twins at HOME if a tie-breaker was necessary. And the best part about it is that we're not going to face the same quality pitching we saw from the A.L. East. That division is out of this world. The five teams in that division all have the highest SOS in the Major leagues (Sox 7th behind Oakland, I believe). We're 16 games over against the Central this year, and 16 overall. So if we're going to win the division, we're going to have to (shocking!!) beat our divisional opponents. If you don't do that, you're not the best team, and you don't go to the playoffs.

Konerko05
09-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Mark Buerhle is actually the type of pitcher who throws better on short rest. I worry about Danks though on such short rest, I am not sure if he has every experienced it.

Danks isn't pitching short rest. Danks is pitching Sunday on 6 days rest. Vazquez, Buehrle, and Floyd are all pitching on 3 days rest once. After the off day on Monday, all three will be pitching in Minnesota on regular rest.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 03:10 PM
But since I am on the subject of grammar and Professor Nellie_Fox - anyone else find it ironic that he has a grammatical error in the quote in his signature?

Please enlighten us.
It's a quote; it's not my sentence.

turners56
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM

I have the same feeling too. It's like I'm afraid the recently-hot Royals will play spoiler and absolutely break our hearts this week.

But then I thought about it and came up with the conclusion that the Royals are the Royals. They've beaten up on Seattle for their last 3 wins. What's so impressive about that? We beat up on them three times too.

kjhanson
09-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Please enlighten us.
It's a quote; it's not my sentence.

1. I'm seeing two independent clauses with an "and" breaking them up. A comma is necessary here.
2. When you correct people on here, you are quoting their words. Why is Whitey Ford not subject to such criticism? I would expect at least a [sic] out of you.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
1. I'm seeing two independent clauses with an "and" breaking them up. A comma is necessary here.You are correct. The coordinating conjunction without the comma makes it a run-on sentence. Since it was a spoken quote, the error goes to whoever first put it in writing, and on me for not catching it.

That having been said, I've never purported to be a professor of English. However, the confusion of singlular and plural in these type of words is becoming an epidemic in the writing of my students. They know the difference between man and men, but not between woman and women, or, as in this case, between third baseman and third basemen. Not being able to identify a comma splice (I'm not saying this is one, by the way) is not the same as not knowing common words. The error in the Ford quote does not change the meaning of the sentence; the error in singular/plural does.

kjhanson
09-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Wrong. Two independent clauses are separated by a semi-colon, not a comma. A comma separates a dependent clause from an independent clause. Whether to use a comma before an "and" is, I believe, a matter of what style manual you are following.

Whoops....left a small but important piece out. When you connect two independent clauses with a conjunction (and), the comma is necessary. In other instances where an "and" is used, use of a comma is optional. As an aside, I'm all for proper spelling and grammar. I told my girlfriend that one of her most attractive qualities was her well formatted text messages (sad, I know).

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Whoops....left a small but important piece out. When you connect two independent clauses with a conjunction (and), the comma is necessary. In other instances where an "and" is used, use of a comma is optional. As an aside, I'm all for proper spelling and grammar. I told my girlfriend that one of her most attractive qualities was her well formatted text messages (sad, I know).Note that I had already corrected myself before you finished your post. :D:

The semi-colon is the proper punctuation to separate the independent clauses absent the conjunction.

AZChiSoxFan
09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
The semi-colon is the proper punctuation to separate the independent clauses absent the conjunction.

That's true, as long as you don't use the predicate nominative in the independent clause and leave the participle dangling. :tongue:

J/k I have no idea what any of that means, but it's Friday afternoon and I'm in a punchy mood. :redneck

kjhanson
09-19-2008, 05:18 PM
The best thing about all this grammar talk is that it deflected attention away from the mood of this thread, which was a lot of whining and bull****. After the Sox win tonight, this thread will be buried, and in its place will be a half-dozen more threads predicting the day we clinch. Such is WSI!