PDA

View Full Version : I did some thinking and.................

BigP50
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I was thinking about our chances to get into the postseason and here is what I came up with.

If we go into the Minny series with a 2.5 game lead and only lose one we will have a 3.5 game lead and that means that we will have autmatically won the division.

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and win 2 of 3 we will have 2.5 game lead which means that we would have to get swept and the Twins would have to sweep the Royals for us to not win the divsion.

If we have a .5 game lead and win 2 then we will have a 1.5 game lead going into the last series of the year. we would have to lose 2 of 3 at home to the Indians and the Twins have to win 2 of 3 to win the Central.

If we go in with a 2.5 game lead and lose 2 we will have a 1.5 game lead.

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and lose 2 we will have a .5 game lead

If we go in with a .5 game lead and lose 2 then we will be behind .5 games

If we go in with a 2.5 game lead and lose all three then we will be behind .5 games

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and lose all three then we will be behind 1.5 games

If we go in with a .5 game lead and lose all three then we will behind 2.5 game lead

I figured these would be the most likely scenario's going into the Minny Series.

We get to play the Royals in the next 3 games (still 1 game with Yankees) and they have to play at Tampa the next 4 games. Then we get to play the Indians at HOME in the last series while they play the Royals at home.

There is no reason that we shouldn't win this division!

jcw218
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I was thinking about our chances to get into the postseason and here is what I came up with.

If we go into the Minny series with a 2.5 game lead and only lose one we will have a 3.5 game lead and that means that we will have autmatically won the division.

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and win 2 of 3 we will have 2.5 game lead which means that we would have to get swept and the Twins would have to sweep the Royals for us to not win the divsion.

If we have a .5 game lead and win 2 then we will have a 1.5 game lead going into the last series of the year. we would have to lose 2 of 3 at home to the Indians and the Twins have to win 2 of 3 to win the Central.

If we go in with a 2.5 game lead and lose 2 we will have a 1.5 game lead.

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and lose 2 we will have a .5 game lead

If we go in with a .5 game lead and lose 2 then we will be behind .5 games

If we go in with a 2.5 game lead and lose all three then we will be behind .5 games

If we go in with a 1.5 game lead and lose all three then we will be behind 1.5 games

If we go in with a .5 game lead and lose all three then we will behind 2.5 game lead

I figured these would be the most likely scenario's going into the Minny Series.

We get to play the Royals in the next 3 games (still 1 game with Yankees) and they have to play at Tampa the next 4 games. Then we get to play the Indians at HOME in the last series while they play the Royals at home.

There is no reason that we shouldn't win this division!

That is a false statement. The Sox would still have to win 1 game against the Indians or Detroit to make the post season w/o having to play the Twins in a playoff game. The .5 in the standings is the fact that one of the games against Detroit has been postponed.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
O, so we would have to play that make up game even thought technically we would have the better record because it wouldn't be fair to the Twins. Gottcha

BadBobbyJenks
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I did some thinking and we are playing the royals this weekend while the Twins are going into Tampa. Game Set Match!

Hokiesox
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking it aint over until the mathematics says it is. Take care of our own games and quit worrying about the ****ing twins.

See: Mets, New York

jcw218
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
O, so we would have to play that make up game even thought technically we would have the better record because it wouldn't be fair to the Twins. Gottcha

Only if the final standings are a .5 game differential. The twins would have played 162 while the Sox would have played 161.

How would you feel if the Sox and Twins finished with the same number of losses but the twins were .5 up on the Sox because they played 1 additional game? You'd probably want the Sox to play that extra game for a chance to tie the Twins right? So would the Twins.

FoulTerritory
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I did some thinking and we are playing the royals this weekend while the Twins are going into Tampa. Game Set Match!

Don't jinx it.

EndemicSox
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
...wake me up in two weeks...once the playoffs start, I wont have to watch the trash that is currently on the field. Backing into the playoffs sucks, but I'll take it...

Jurr
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing. This team is so totally ****ed that it doesn't matter. You will spend good money on playoff tickets and watch THIS CRAP? Ewwww.

HBaines03
09-18-2008, 09:08 PM
If this team doesn't wake up and pull it's perverbial head out of it's rump, it won't matter what we do. They haven't deserved to be playing in the playoffs and even if they make it they will likely lose 3 and be done. I cannot figure out how a team can see the scoreboard and know there rival is losing and not get fired up to win a ballgame. Frustrating.............thank god Minnesota is giving it to us.

KingXerxes
09-18-2008, 09:42 PM
If this team doesn't wake up and pull it's perverbial head out of it's rump, it won't matter what we do. They haven't deserved to be playing in the playoffs and even if they make it they will likely lose 3 and be done. I cannot figure out how a team can see the scoreboard and know there rival is losing and not get fired up to win a ballgame. Frustrating.............thank god Minnesota is giving it to us.

If you get into the playoffs, forward, backward or sideways - you have about a 1 in 4 chance to win the pennant, and a 1 in 8 chance of winning the World Series.

Just get there. I still feel 88 wins takes this division.

kitekrazy
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

The Royals have been putting together a nice win streak.

soxpride724
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Dude you think too much.:tongue:

oeo
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. This team is so totally ****ed that it doesn't matter. You will spend good money on playoff tickets and watch THIS CRAP? Ewwww.

Yep.

BTW, your act is getting old fast. You can continue to sit there and be a baby, whining about how much this team sucks. Or, you can enjoy it. I don't care how the Sox get in, as long as they get in. From there, who knows what will happen.

BigP50
09-18-2008, 10:45 PM
we should sweep the Royals this weekend but honestly, this series makes me very nervous

TDog
09-19-2008, 12:26 AM
we should sweep the Royals this weekend but honestly, this series makes me very nervous

The Sox should sweep the Twins next week, for that matter. But there is no telling how a baseball game will come out.

I believe the Sox will win the division, but the bottom line is that a week from Sunday, the Sox will need to have two fewer losses than the Twins. One fewer loss would mean the Sox will have to beat the Tigers on Monday or beat the Twins on Tuesday to go to advance. The same number of losses would mean the Sox have to beat Detroit in Chicago and have to beat the Twins in Chicago to advance.

As the Sox are preparing to play the Royals this weekend, the Sox have two fewer losses than the Twins. But they have to actually play the games.

Do people remember 2003, when petty White Sox fans were upset that their team was better than the Cubs, but didn't go to the postseason because they didn't play in an easy division? When it looked like the Cubs were going to the World Series with that weak team, it really hurt some people. It's five years later, and it's time for the White Sox to get the most out of their current opportunity.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2008, 12:53 AM
If this team doesn't wake up and pull it's perverbial head out of it's rump, it won't matter what we do. :thud:

TDog
09-19-2008, 02:27 AM

As opposed to paying good money for playoff tickets when your team has the best record in the league only to watch them play like crap in the postseason. That's what I did in 2000, when the team that finished it's AL schedule going 3-15 ended up winning the World Series. The only time since I was 2 years old when the White Sox played in the post season and I lived within 1,000 miles of 35th and Shields. I saw two crappy games and collected my huge refund in November.

asindc
09-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Hmm, let's see. The Sox have made the playoffs exactly eight times in its history, and never in consecutive years. I don't know about you, but whether it's by stumbling, crawling, limping, or whatever way, I just like seeing the Sox in the playoffs, because it has happened way to seldom in our lifetimes.