PDA

View Full Version : Civil Rights Game takes on more importance

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
MLB just announced that the White Sox will again be part of the Civil Rights Game, but this time it will take on greater importance as the game has been moved to June 20th, 2009 where the Sox will take on the Reds in Cincinatti at the Great American Ballpark.

Again the pannel discussion and the Beacon Awards Banquet are the highlights of the game.

I am glad that they did this, because last year the Sox had a hellacious schedule leading up to the season opener in Cleveland. This cuts down on the crazy travel and enables the team to work up till the final day to prepare for the regular season to begin. Remember that they had to take on the Rangers away from Tucson this year and fly to Memphis that night to be a part of the 2 days of things associated with the game.

I am also glad that the Sox are going to be showcased again, it can only help expand our positive image.

illini81887
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Here is the link

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080918&content_id=3501577&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

doublem23
09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
So... This game is going to count?

I hope they have nicer uniforms, maybe even wear Negro League throwbacks.

Dick Allen
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Hopefully the weather will be better.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I actually would have liked to see the game be between the Sox and KC, but both teams would have to be playing and drawing well. In KC would be nice because that was the home of the original Kansas City Monarchs and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. It would be like having a heritage game, with the old throwback uniforms from the respective negro league teams from those cities, ie Monarchs uni's vs Chicago American Giants.

As it is though, I hope that the Sox wear a Chicago Giants uniform and the Reds wear a Cincinnati Tigers uniform. That would be really cool.

I want Mags back
09-18-2008, 09:01 PM
So... This game is going to count?

I hope they have nicer uniforms, maybe even wear Negro League throwbacks.

:?:having the negro league was kinda the opposite of civil rights

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Gee, I'm surprised it is not at Wrigley.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Why would it be at the Urinal?

Dub25
09-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Why would it be at the Urinal?

Because The Police and Jimmy Buffett played there and the Blackhawks will be playing there so why not the Civil Rights game. Not that I agree with any of it especially since the Blackhawks team up with the White Sox but dump them when it is time to schedule an outdoor game. I don't know, I guess since everyone but us thinks Wrigley is a "shrine", why not play a Civil Rights game there. I guess my original comment should've been in teal.

itsnotrequired
09-18-2008, 10:33 PM

It should be at Fenway.

scarsofthumper
09-19-2008, 12:30 AM
I actually would have liked to see the game be between the Sox and KC, but both teams would have to be playing and drawing well. In KC would be nice because that was the home of the original Kansas City Monarchs and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. It would be like having a heritage game, with the old throwback uniforms from the respective negro league teams from those cities, ie Monarchs uni's vs Chicago American Giants.

As it is though, I hope that the Sox wear a Chicago Giants uniform and the Reds wear a Cincinnati Tigers uniform. That would be really cool.Schaumburg Flyers acutally did that against the Kansas City T-Bones earlier this year. They wore the Giants jerseys while KC wore the Monarchs jerseys.

And I think it was moved to June just because of the WBC

esbrechtel
09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Because The Police and Jimmy Buffett played there and the Blackhawks will be playing there so why not the Civil Rights game. Not that I agree with any of it especially since the Blackhawks team up with the White Sox but dump them when it is time to schedule an outdoor game. I don't know, I guess since everyone but us thinks Wrigley is a "shrine", why not play a Civil Rights game there. I guess my original comment should've been in teal.

I don't think the Blackhawks made that decision entirely I'm sure the NHL wanted it at wrigley and that was probably a major selling point. They did not "dump" the sox either, they are scheduling a "white sox" night in march and on CTL last week Rocky Wirtz said he was a sox fan.

I really do not understand why some people find it necessary to complain when something good happens to the sox :dunno:

areilly
09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
It should be at Fenway.

Now THAT was cold.

the gooch
09-19-2008, 09:16 AM
It should be at Fenway.
that is good use of teal not required.

I am not surprised they chose Chicago twice like they did. Cleveland and Chicago were the first two American League teams to break the color barrier, I believe, and Cleveland's name and logo don't go well with the idea of "Civil Rights".

soxfanatlanta
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
:?:having the negro league was kinda the opposite of civil rights

There is a sense of irony there, yes. But I think it would also give some additional validation to the Negro League: those players should have been in MLB.