PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Bostock remembered

gregoriop
09-18-2008, 01:12 PM
This was on the front page of espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bostock

I had never heard of him before, but what an incredibly sad story. He seemed like a great person and I definitely would have rooted for the local boy had I been alive at the time.

Sox4ever77
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I remember Lyman being a great hitter and always hurting the Sox during the 77 season. If Lyman hadn't been killed he would have won 5-6 batting championships like Weaver predicted. Don Baylor devoted an entire chapter on Lyman in his autobiography.

Zisk77
09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
I remember as a kid lsiening to my Grandfather talk about Bostock during his last game against the sox and then hearing a little later he was shot in Gary, Indiana. if i Had known what the word surreal meant at the time, I would have thought it was that. I still have a baseball card of Lyman with the twins.

PatK
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Sad story

Hitmen77
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I remember this happening when I was a kid.

Bostock was a familiar name to me as a MLB player. I remember turning on the Sox game on what must have been the day after this happened and saw that they were running a tribute to him and they said he was shot to death the night before. What a shame.

SOX LA Mikey
09-19-2008, 03:04 AM
But five days after Bostock was killed, Pope John Paul died of a heart attack following a mere 33 days as pontiff, news that seemed to wipe Bostock's name from print. By the time, less than a year later, New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson died in a plane crash, Bostock was an afterthought, reduced to little more than a notch in Gary's ever-mounting homicide rate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended both of Bostock's last games in Chicago, as a teenager we used to hang out at the dugout after the game and get whatever we could including
the lineup card from the manager or whoever was cleaning up the dugout.
So I have the Angels lineup card from LB's final game, As fate would have it, I also have the White Sox lineup card from Thurman Munson's final game too. which was played at Old Comiskey.

DumpJerry
09-19-2008, 08:08 AM
During the recent series with the Angels, I found myself thinking of him and how it felt when I heard the news. I was 16 years old at the time and thought baseball players were immortal. A very sad memory.

spawn
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Boy, does this bring back memories. I was just getting into watching baseball in '77, and my brother would tell me "Watch this Lyman Bostock guy. He's going to be pretty good". As a 9 year old, professional sports athletes were like gods to me. When I saw he was murdered, I couldn't believe it. Reading this article is so surreal. I was too old to really understand what was going on. So sad.

chaerulez
09-22-2008, 03:02 AM
I didn't know who Lyman Bostock was until I read this Jeff Pearlman article on ESPN.com, I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share it:

gregoriop
09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I didn't know who Lyman Bostock was until I read this Jeff Pearlman article on ESPN.com, I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share it:

This is the link from the first post

???

doublem23
09-22-2008, 04:41 PM
This is the link from the first post

???

Probably started unwittingly started a new thread and someone merged the two together.

09-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I attended a game in that series, one game before Bostock's last one. And I still remember the shock of hearing news of his murder on the radio.

Yikes ... how sad that his killer served so little time and is free and still living in Gary.

Sox83Kid
09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
My Dad told me this story growing up. I have relatives who have lived in Gary--not far from where Bostock was shot--and I've always felt bad for all the good citizens that have had to put up with the violence there over the years. However, I did not realize that the killer got off on a legal technicality, by one of the "premier" defense attorneys in NW Indiana. I've run into people whose parents actually wanted their kids to be the "next" Nick Thiros! :o:

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
. However, I did not realize that the killer got off on a legal technicality, by one of the "premier" defense attorneys in NW Indiana. I've run into people whose parents actually wanted their kids to be the "next" Nick Thiros! :o:

What Bill Hicks used to say about advertising execs? Apply three-fold to Nick Thiroses of the world. I wonder how some of those guys live with themselves.

Woofer
09-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm in the same boat with alot of you guys here, being a kid of about 7-8 years old at the time. I also remember this being talked about during the Sox game, and also have memories of the Pope dying. I had no idea that these things happened so close to each other. Somewhere, I think I have one of his baseball cards. Time does fly.

chaerulez
09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Sorry, didn't see the other thread.

To say our legal system is flawed, is an understatement.

These lawyers that have no problem getting criminals off the crimes they commit are a joke.

Sox4ever77
09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I reread Don Baylor's autobiography over the weekend and can't help think of what if? Bostock and Al Hrabosky got into a brawl, in KC, before the Chicago series. What if Bostock got hurt in the brawl and/or suspended? He may have missed the Chicago series and may never have been in Gary.

tick53
09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
But five days after Bostock was killed, Pope John Paul died of a heart attack following a mere 33 days as pontiff, news that seemed to wipe Bostock's name from print. By the time, less than a year later, New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson died in a plane crash, Bostock was an afterthought, reduced to little more than a notch in Gary's ever-mounting homicide rate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attended both of Bostock's last games in Chicago, as a teenager we used to hang out at the dugout after the game and get whatever we could including
the lineup card from the manager or whoever was cleaning up the dugout.
So I have the Angels lineup card from LB's final game, As fate would have it, I also have the White Sox lineup card from Thurman Munson's final game too. which was played at Old Comiskey.

Believe me or not, I witnessed the final games at Old Comiskey of both Bostock and Munson myself. Sad.

skobabe8
09-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I had never heard this story until I saw it on espn this week.

That defense attorney smirked when he was told the prosecutor's quote about "he got away with murder." I havent seen sleeze like that in a long time.