PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Floyd has found a home in Chicago

Whitesoxfan23
09-18-2008, 02:30 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809173497737

Pretty good interview. I had the pleasure of meeting Gavin in KC earlier in the year. He seems to be a really nice guy. In all honesty, in a big game situation, I feel most comfortable with Gavin on the mound. Him and Danks have been really great this year.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 02:55 AM
He's definitely a class-act and a down-to-earth player. Before the season, I thought he was our #4 or #5 starter. Look how far he's come. His composure on the mound is remarkable. I too wouldn't want anyone other than him on the mound in a must-win big-game situation.

jabrch
09-18-2008, 05:00 AM
There are 29 other teams that would want Gavin Floyd.

Bucky F. Dent
09-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Gavin has made extraordinary strides this summer.

The one difficulty that he still has, IMHO, is pitching with men on base. It has a significant effect on his control. I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing, or a mechanical thing, but it's definitely something he needs to work on in the offseason

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
The one difficulty that he still has, IMHO, is pitching with men on base. It has a significant effect on his control. I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing, or a mechanical thing, but it's definitely something he needs to work on in the offseason

I would surmise that it is a psychological thing. It is like trying to watch a movie with a crying child in the row behind you, it is tough to bear.

FielderJones
09-18-2008, 10:20 AM

He had pretty good control against Giambroid on Tuesday with the bases loaded. :yup: I think he's over that hump.

jabrch
09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
He had pretty good control against Giambroid on Tuesday with the bases loaded. :yup: I think he's over that hump.

While 1 instance is a small sample size, it sure looked good.

I would like to know how much worse he is with men on than the average starter with a 3.75-4.00 ERA is in those situations. Then factor in the other less accurately quantifiable effects - I don't know...

Floyd has a sub 4 ERA in a hitters park despite a 6.44 ERA with RISP. I'm really encouraged by his development both for this year, and for the future.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I need to give some credit where I feel it is due here. Floyd is great, but I think that we are overlooking on key component: Don Cooper. He is one of the greatest pitching coaches when it comes to his starters. He has worked with the two kids: Danks and Floyd, only to make them two of the most viable young starters in the ML's. I am so glad he is here.

oeo
09-18-2008, 10:47 AM

I think that the biggest strides came over the last month/month and a half. I was really worried about how he was going to respond down the stretch because he was still easily shaken for most of the year...but wow has he proven me wrong. His confidence is at an all-time high right now.

He's been good for us all year, but I think it's the last month and a half that's proven he has completely turned his career around and will be a mainstay in the Sox rotation.

I need to give some credit where I feel it is due here. Floyd is great, but I think that we are overlooking on key component: Don Cooper. He is one of the greatest pitching coaches when it comes to his starters. He has worked with the two kids: Danks and Floyd, only to make them two of the most viable young starters in the ML's. I am so glad he is here.

Not to mention Ozzie. Those two (Ozzie and Coop) just have a way with self-confidence. Say what you want about Ozzie (and he has his weaknesses), but he's instilled confidence in quite a few pitchers that were sorely lacking it, in just his short time here.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM

He has 16 wins. Somewhere along the line he clamped down. It only makes sense. Lately I have seen amazing outings from him so I don't know how far back you are going but I believe that stage is done.

btrain929
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Sweet shirt, Gavin.

JermaineDye05
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I just thought it was funny that with all the videos they have of Floyd highlights, 2 of them are Cliff Floyd highlights :D:.

Good story though, Gavin really has come far. To think of how lost he looked last year on the mound. Now the only people that look lost when Gavin's on the mound are the batters when they see that 12-6 curve drop in on the corner :cool:.

fram40
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Don't forget the strikeout of Abreu two batters earlier Call me crazy - but Gavin is my #1 starter

kjhanson
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM
There are 29 other teams that would want Gavin Floyd.

Hah! No one's taking that bait on that one anymore, sadly.

You and I were the only ones vehemently defending Gavin here this spring. Glad to see he's lived up to the high expectations I had of him.

JB98
09-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm stunned by how good Floyd has been this season. I knew Danks would take a big step forward, but I never saw this level of excellence coming from Gavin Floyd.