PDA

View Full Version : Happy 25th Anniversary of Winnin' Ugly

MeteorsSox4367
09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Mods: My apologies if thread is started elsewhere, but on the drive home tonight, Mac, Jurko and Harry mentioned that today (9-17) was the 25th anniversary of the Sox clinching the AL West against Seattle at Comiskey.

I was there because it was ComEd Employee Night and my Dad bought six tickets earlier that summer. We were in the upper deck down the right-field line, but at least we were there to see the Sox make history. They also held a raffle for ComEd employees and my Dad won an autographed ball signed by the team that I still proudly have.

Twenty-five years seems like forever. We all know what happened in the playoffs that season, but damn, I loved that team. The mention of it on the radio brought back a lot of good memories.

sox1970
09-17-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/

Lip Man 1
09-18-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2321

Numerous 'let me hear it!' links for your enjoyment.

Lip

chisoxmike
09-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Holy crap! Look at Hawk's sweater!!!

DumpJerry
09-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Holy crap! Look at Hawk's sweater!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I hope he burned it afterwards.

"LaRussa sends in the signals to Leyland." What a pair.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2008, 12:47 AM
It was a Saturday night and I was doing the sports at KNOE-TV... because of the rain delay the game was going into the last of the 9th about 10:15 CST and I had to go into the studio for my show.

Thank God WGN got permission from SportsVision to air the 9th inning and the postgame. We got them on the cable in Louisiana. I had the tapes rolling and enjoyed the scene when I got back to my office. (Yes I still have the tapes!)

Then I proceeded to go to a local bar and get hammered to the point where our weather guy had to do the sports Sunday morning. Yes we actually had an 11AM Sunday morning show.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
09-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Great video link! Thanks for posting it!

Isn't it amazing that we are now more removed (25 years) from the 1983 Winnin' Ugly Sox than 1983 was removed from 1959 (24 years)!

Moses_Scurry
09-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I was there for the clincher! :bandance:
My best experience at a Sox game in my life. I was 10 years old. My Dad bought tickets in APRIL to go to a game for his birthday, which happens to be Sept 17. I had gone to my first Sox game the year before, but I was a year younger and didn't pay attention to the game as much as the scoreboard. In 1983, I was all about watching the game. Harold's homerun was my first firework experience at Comiskey as there were no homeruns the year before. I sat next to a drunk woman who was hillarious in the upper deck. We stayed to watch the crowd rush the field and sang Na Na Na Na at the top of our lungs all the way down the exit ramps.

Unfortunately, my Dad tried to do the same thing in '84, but it didn't work out so well. :angry:

KnightSox
09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I was at my Grandmas, my Father and Grandfather were upstairs watching it on TV. I was downstairs getting my haircut, I can still remember my Father pounding his fist on the floor!

tacosalbarojas
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Mods: My apologies if thread is started elsewhere, but on the drive home tonight, Mac, Jurko and Harry mentioned that today (9-17) was the 25th anniversary of the Sox clinching the AL West against Seattle at Comiskey.

I was there because it was ComEd Employee Night and my Dad bought six tickets earlier that summer. We were in the upper deck down the right-field line, but at least we were there to see the Sox make history. They also held a raffle for ComEd employees and my Dad won an autographed ball signed by the team that I still proudly have.

Twenty-five years seems like forever. We all know what happened in the playoffs that season, but damn, I loved that team. The mention of it on the radio brought back a lot of good memories.Shame on Mac for thinking that Bob James was on the '83 team. Double shame on Harry for thinking that Gene Nelson was on the '83 team. After those comments, I pushed the button!

whitesox901
09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
I was there for the clincher! :bandance:
My best experience at a Sox game in my life. I was 10 years old. My Dad bought tickets in APRIL to go to a game for his birthday, which happens to be Sept 17. I had gone to my first Sox game the year before, but I was a year younger and didn't pay attention to the game as much as the scoreboard. In 1983, I was all about watching the game. Harold's homerun was my first firework experience at Comiskey as there were no homeruns the year before. I sat next to a drunk woman who was hillarious in the upper deck. We stayed to watch the crowd rush the field and sang Na Na Na Na at the top of our lungs all the way down the exit ramps.

Unfortunately, my Dad tried to do the same thing in '84, but it didn't work out so well. :angry:

Glad you were able to witness such a great time in Sox History. Even though winning ugly was 7 years before I was born, and 21 before I was a Sox fan, I love watching clips, viewing photos and reading about that team. I love the ol' jerseys, I would of loved to go to a game at Old Comiskey in the 1970's or 1980's. Happy anniversary Winnin' Ugly Sox, an lets go SOX! Every team for every season, decade, century and all eternity! This is the greatest franchise ever, for the greatest sport ever (both IMO).

#1swisher
09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for those great vid's. LOL...another nail-biter with the White Sox. :tongue:
Who coined the phrase "Winning Ugly", found it. Thanks Mark Liptak for the 1983 Remembered!

FielderJones
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Who coined the phrase "Winnin' Ugly"

Doug Rader, who was the Texas manager at the time. He said the Sox were winning a lot of ugly ballgames.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for those great vid's. LOL...another nail-biter with the White Sox. :tongue:
With the Sox, it can't be any other way.

ode to veeck
09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Doug Rader, who was the Texas manager at the time. He said the Sox were winning a lot of ugly ballgames.

Radar made the comments just as it looked like a race, in late aug or so and the Sox closed out with a vengence and the fans in the stands would chank "Ug-Ly! Ug-Ly!" I still have a "winning Ugly" tshirt somewhere as well as a pennant from that year. Too bad they fade in the playoffs

TomBradley72
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
With Chris Nyman on deck behind Harold Baines....

LongLiveFisk
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I would of loved to go to a game at Old Comiskey in the 1970's or 1980's.

Yeah I think you would have. The teams weren't always contending during that stretch of time but it was still a lot of fun at the ballpark. Great memories! :D:

cnw8052
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Seattle's uniforms were hideous looking IMO. Those 80s Sox uniforms are still my favorites along with the current ones.

By the way, who was announcing the game??? I'm also surprised by the fans storming the field.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
By the way, who was announcing the game??? I'm also surprised by the fans storming the field.

Don Drysdale was calling it by himself because Hawk went down to the locker room to cover the celebration.

Goodness that was an ugly sweater that Hawk was sporting that night. I still haven't seen any video where Reinsdorf and Einhorn refer to Harry and Jimmy as "scum". Anyone know where I would be able to see that?

Anyway, I was only 6 years old so I don't remember that night but my dad made me aware that the Sox had won something.