EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Looks good early, through 4 at Texas, 2 hits, 0 ER, 1 walk, 3 K's, 51 pitches

sox1970
09-17-2008, 08:49 PM
...and extremely sweaty.

JUribe1989
09-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Freddy is looking downright brilliant. I hope he doesn't look like this next year against us.

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
8 pitches gets him through another inning, 3 flyouts

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
His day is done, 5 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 Ks, 59 pitches. Very impressive at Texas

I was only following online though, it'd be interesting to know how he was velocity wise and what his style was

veeter
09-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I love Freddy. My favorite on the 2005 staff. What a horse.

doublem23
09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, very nice outing all things considered. If he can come back to be a dependable starter again, that will have to be one of the best comebacks in baseball history, right?

Best wishes to Freddy... except when he starts against us. :cool:

turners56
09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
What was his velocity?

Rocky Soprano
09-17-2008, 10:09 PM
It really shocks me the Sox did not offer a similar type of deal that the Tigers gave him.

turners56
09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
It really shocks me the Sox did not offer a similar type of deal that the Tigers gave him.

With the way Richard threw tonight, I'm not sure as to why we should have. Freddy is still working his way back.

Oblong
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I only watched a few innings but he was in the 80s most of the pitches I saw. I wasn't looking at every pitch though. He looked comfortable.

Did he have long hair in Philadelphia? Is he going Maggs on us? Is it a rule that former Sox players on the Tigers have to grow it out?

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
With the way Richard threw tonight, I'm not sure as to why we should have. Freddy is still working his way back.
Richard might make me eat my previous words, and I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Foulke You
09-18-2008, 01:20 AM
I only watched a few innings but he was in the 80s most of the pitches I saw. I wasn't looking at every pitch though. He looked comfortable.

Did he have long hair in Philadelphia? Is he going Maggs on us? Is it a rule that former Sox players on the Tigers have to grow it out?
As far as I know, Freddy still had the short hair in Philly. Garcia is one of my favorites. "Big Game Freddy" was a horse when he was here. You'll like him if he stays healthy. He'll drive you nuts by winning a huge game against the Red Sox or a division rival and then get lit up his next outing against the Royals or something but if healthy, he gets up for the big games. He just has a habit of playing down to his competition and he even admits it. I've always worried about the longevity of his career because his delivery is such a violent arm slinging motion that it just seeemed like injury was inevitable.

delben91
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Is Freddy's contract with Detroit just through the end of the season, or is it for next season as well?

Oblong
09-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Is Freddy's contract with Detroit just through the end of the season, or is it for next season as well?

Just this season. Initially we thought it included a kicker that playing in the ML this year triggered a deal for enxt year but Dombrowski said that's not the case.

So it's good that he's done well in game 1 but then again if he does better in game 2 then it'll probably be a bidding situation and then you run into a cost/risk thing. I'd almost prefer he do poorly stat wise but show the team something in his mechanics.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Just this season. Initially we thought it included a kicker that playing in the ML this year triggered a deal for enxt year but Dombrowski said that's not the case.

So it's good that he's done well in game 1 but then again if he does better in game 2 then it'll probably be a bidding situation and then you run into a cost/risk thing. I'd almost prefer he do poorly stat wise but show the team something in his mechanics.
Oblong, what's the news on how Bonderman's progressing? Could they sign Freddy for next year as a back-up plan for Bonderman, see how he does in spring training, and make trades after they make their decision?

Oblong
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Oblong, what's the news on how Bonderman's progressing? Could they sign Freddy for next year as a back-up plan for Bonderman, see how he does in spring training, and make trades after they make their decision?

He had surgery for a circulation problem and is just resting. A blood clot developed in a vein connecting his shoulder to his rib cage, similar to what Kenny Rogers had in the beginning of 2007. Every report since then says they expect him to be ready by spring training. Jim Leyland said he's doing nothing but hanging out at his farm in Washington fishing in a pond with a case of beer next to him.

But the Tigers have 2 other holes on the rotation, considering that both Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis are big question marks next year, and that's assuming that Bonderman's healthy enough to start teh season and that Armando Galarraga is the real deal. I expect them to go after Garcia pretty hard if they like what they see.

WSox597
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
The important question is, how many guys stole second on him? :D:

I'm glad he's pitching again, and wish him well.

illini81887
09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Gives up 3HR tonight to the royals

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Gives up 3HR tonight to the royals

Imagine if we could combine Vazquez with Garcia. Vazquez does great in low pressure situations but craps out in big games. Garcia is the opposite. He sucks against crappy teams but is lights out in the biggest games. Put them together and the hybrid would win 25 games and the Cy Young Award.

whitesox901
09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
But the Tigers have 2 other holes on the rotation, considering that both Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis are big question marks next year, and that's assuming that Bonderman's healthy enough to start teh season and that Armando Galarraga is the real deal. I expect them to go after Garcia pretty hard if they like what they see.

Robertson and D-Train have big contracts with bad years, cant see em being traded. im looking for them to both be in the rotation, from what Im thinking, the seven rotation contenders look to be

Verlander
Galarraga
Robertson
Willis
Minor
Garcia
Bonderman

Im guessing Verlander is a shoe in as is Galarrage, and like I said Robertson and D-Train have big ol' contracts, gonna be hard to eat Willis' agian and let him pitch in the minors most of next season again. Im looking at Bonderman to be the 5th man, but Zach Minor has been pitching okay in the rotation, but my guess is to be back in the pen. And of course, Garcia might be in there too, its a hard decision. They could prob have a decent staff with Verlander, Galarraga, Minor, Garcia and Bonderman. There really gonna have to go get some pitching. Alot of high ERA's and a bullpen that reeks. They cant keep hoping Zumaya and Rodney come back every season willing to go, im not sure what theyre current situations are, but it would probably be best to move on, they might as well wait for Mark Prior while theyre at it.

Ziggy S
09-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Granted, this was against the Rangers, but that's better than Big Game Javy has looked since the ASB. Since Jose won't come back for a while if ever, sign him up for next year Kenny.

Oblong
09-24-2008, 07:30 AM
I was at the game and Garcia pitched better than his line. Yes he gave up 3 HR but he did well otherwise. Enough to make me think after 2 starts he will be back. The Tigers need him and he said he wants to stay.

Nate and Willis will not be handed jobs because of their contracts. Leyland sort of went off on the pitchers yesterday and said outside of Verlander, Galarraga, and Bonderman if he's healthy, nobody's job is secure and they'll all have to earn it. Those who perform will get the slots, regardless of who they are or what their contract is. He challenged them all to work hard this winter and to do what's necessary to come into spring training ready. They want Willis to go to winter ball. He said he's open to it but it depends on how his arm feels. That sort of tells me he doesn't want to do it. Those are refreshing comments but sort of fly in the face of how Leyland's done it in the past. I hope it signals a change in his attitude.

doublem23
09-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Oblong, do you think there's any chance Leyland won't be back next year?

Oblong
09-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Oblong, do you think there's any chance Leyland won't be back next year?

Yes I do think there's a chance he won't be back. Not because of him directly but if the guys upstairs want him to make changes on his coaching staff that he doesn't agree with, then I can see a situation where he's either mutually let go, resigns, or just outright fired.

The staff is mostly made up of his buddies from his Pirate days. Van Slyke, McLendon, Lamont, Rafael Belliard. Don Slaught was the hitting coach in 2006, after he left then McLendon became the hitting coach. Now maybe they're good coaches, I don't know how to judge, but it sure seems coincidental that they all played for or coached with him in the past.

A guy I am high on is Matt Walbeck. He was one of the top minor league managers last year in all of baseball, he may have even won an award for it, and is now the 3B coach in Texas.

Oblong
09-24-2008, 08:49 PM
If there's a makeup game on Monday, Freddy Garcia will pitch for the Tigers.

esbrechtel
09-25-2008, 08:31 AM
If there's a makeup game on Monday, Freddy Garcia will pitch for the Tigers.

It would be good to see sweatty freddy again...however no offense Oblong but I hope their isn't a make up game...

Oblong
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
It would be good to see sweatty freddy again...however no offense Oblong but I hope their isn't a make up game...

eh, it makes no difference to me whether there is one or not. Unless Magglio's still got a shot at the batting title , which looks unlikely. The good news for you guys is Freddy will only go 5 innings or so, regardless of how well he pitches. Then you get the vaunted Tiger bullpen. At that point Ozzie can rest his regulars.