PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf on Chicago Tribune Live

JUribe1989
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
-Described what an owner does as: Just like a CEO, to pick good people to run your company. Let others do their jobs.
-Says that a White Sox-Cubs Series would be great for the city.
-Said that if God came to him and said "You can either face the Cubs in the World Series and lose or not make the playoffs at all," he would pick losing to the Cubs in the World Series.

I totally agree with him. He was great on the show, really personable and defended Jerry Manuel a ton.

Top notch stuff!

white sox bill
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Will they have it on archive soon?

Noneck
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
-
-Said that if God came to him and said "You can either face the Cubs in the World Series and lose or not make the playoffs at all," he would pick losing to the Cubs in the World Series.

Of course, What Ceo would want to lose the revenue generated by something like that.

swish
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Of course, What Ceo would want to lose the revenue generated by something like that.

I thought the same thing, but I still think he is a good guy and I'm not too sure what I would pick, that's a very tough choice...

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I thought the same thing, but I still think he is a good guy and I'm not too sure what I would pick, that's a very tough choice...

Facing the Cubs in the WS means the Sox won the pennant. It isn't like squeaking in as a wild card, going three and out and then having the Cubs win it all.

Noneck
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Facing the Cubs in the WS means the Sox won the pennant. It isn't like squeaking in as a wild card, going three and out and then having the Cubs win it all.

Its a no brainer and if the Sox happen to lose, my reaction to those fans would be " Enjoy, Its a great feeling that I have been enjoying since 05"

BRDSR
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Would rather not make it at all, but only after considering how unbelievably annoying it would be for years...decades...if the Sox lost to the Cubs in the World Series. Obviously in a vacuum I'd rather lose to them in the World Series.

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd pick not making the playoffs at all. 'Don't just be happy to be here, win this thing'. Plus, the reason I hate the Cubs is because of their fans, they'd get obnoxius over taking 1 out of 3 during an interleague series, it'd be unbearable if anything like that happened

SaltyPretzel
09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
The Cubs are 0-1 against us so far in the World Series.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
For making some of the most boneheaded decisions early in his career as a major sports owner, I think that JR has become one of the most respected. He has been by far one of the most successful of them all. He has more major championships than that of all the other teams combined in this city:

Bears: 1 Superbowl (not counting NFL Championships)
Cubs: 2 World Series Titles
Blackhawks: 3 Stanley Cups

JR's teams:
Bulls: 6
White Sox: 3

:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
For making some of the most boneheaded decisions early in his career as a major sports owner, I think that JR has become one of the most respected. He has been by far one of the most successful of them all. He has more major championships than that of all the other teams combined in this city:

JR's teams:

:bandance:
Two of those with the Sox were before Jerry was even BORN, but, yes, I agree with your premise. :tongue:

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Two of those with the Sox were before Jerry was even BORN, but, yes, I agree with your premise. :tongue:

It's one of those 'ah ah ah, you get the pointers' LOL.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2008, 10:53 AM

JR's teams:

:bandance:You can't count WS titles from the early 20th century and then dismiss NFL titles won by the Bears before the Super Bowl came into existence. Today's Super Bowl is no different than the NFL championship except for more teams and more divisions, just like MLB.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
You can't count WS titles from the early 20th century and then dismiss NFL titles won by the Bears before the Super Bowl came into existence. Today's Super Bowl is no different than the NFL championship except for more teams and more divisions, just like MLB.

I just wanted to go only NFC vs. AFC. I think that is when pro football came into their modern era just like baseball did finally incorporating the "inferior" American League into Major League Baseball.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I just wanted to go only NFC vs. AFC. I think that is when pro football came into their modern era just like baseball did finally incorporating the "inferior" American League into Major League Baseball.That's just an opinion. AFC and NFC were created due to expansion created by merger, just like divisions and divisional playoffs came into being because of expansion.

It's a totally arbitrary distinction, particularly when you count baseball championships all the way back to the early 1900's, when the difference between an NFL championship and a Superbowl championship is only in a name. It used to be the winner of the east vs. winner of the west for the NFL championship, now it's NFC winner vs. AFC winner for Superbowl champ. Simply a matter of expansion and creation of divisions. Baseball expanded and created divisions but didn't choose to re-name its championship.

gobears1987
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I got to meet Jerry last month when he was the keynote speaker at AEPi's 95th Anniversary Convention. He's a really great guy and he took everyone's questions. He also had our group go to the Sox-Sawx game that Friday for a very subsidized price.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
That's just an opinion. AFC and NFC were created due to expansion created by merger, just like divisions and divisional playoffs came into being because of expansion.

It's a totally arbitrary distinction, particularly when you count baseball championships all the way back to the early 1900's, when the difference between an NFL championship and a Superbowl championship is only in a name. It used to be the winner of the east vs. winner of the west for the NFL championship, now it's NFC winner vs. AFC winner for Superbowl champ. Simply a matter of expansion and creation of divisions. Baseball expanded and created divisions but didn't choose to re-name its championship.

Ahh yes, I didn't look at it that way. I just figured that you could usher in a modern era with the merger of two rival leagues. That does see right though.

Hey, anyway, JR is still one heck of an owner, even if we didn't agree with things that were done wrong in the past. Even that he has admitted to the fact that he was totally wrong about things before and willing to make them right is just a testiment to the man he really is.