PDA

View Full Version : Quentin could be back soon...

wsoxfan
09-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Per sporsline (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/10580394)

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
:praying::praying::praying::praying: :praying:

turners56
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Per sporsline (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/10580394)

I doubt he will play in the regular season. Maybe the playoffs. Just because he can take batting practice doesn't mean he's ready to play again.

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 06:28 PM
The man must not be human.

I am kind of nervous about rushing him back. I'd rather have him heal completely with no long term effects. Then again, I'm sure the Sox are more than cautious about this.

turners56
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM

I am kind of nervous about rushing him back. I'd rather have him heal completely with no long term effects. Then again, I'm sure the Sox are more than cautious about this.

He's on PEDs.

MushMouth
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
I think you play him in the regular season simply to get him some game action, shake off some of the rust... It is TCQ, he might just start crushing homers out of the gate.

Nice to read he's close as least!

Chicken Dinner
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Anything to get Jerry Owens back on the bench is good news.:wooty:

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Im nervous too, hard to believe someone could come back from wrist surgery so soon.

35th and Shields
09-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Me too. Didn't the same thing happen with his shoulder. He came back to soon and was out an even longer period of time.

StepsInSC
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
I love it; I nominate Mr. Knobler for most beautiful man of the year. http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/authors/logo/310738/200

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Joe Cowley from the Sun Times via WSCR just reported the same thing. Q progressing well and will join the team in KC and possibly take BP. He went on to say if that goes well, it wouldn' be out of the question for Q to be back in the regular season.

:bandance:

SALUKIS15
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Some of you may jump down my throat for saying this but part of me doesn't want TCQ to come back. I know what most of you are thinking, what is this guy thinking. Since TCQ went down we have had to rely on players who normally may not be getting the same playing time to step it up, BIG TIME. We are in the middle of a dog fight with the twins and on the verge of coming out on top. I wonder if rushing back TCQ might disrupt the good thing we have going. I hope I don't get ripped a new one, but it's just my opinion. Now granted, if Quentin does come back, I won't be too upset...lol:D:

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Some of you may jump down my throat for saying this but part of me doesn't want TCQ to come back. I know what most of you are thinking, what is this guy thinking. Since TCQ went down we have had to rely on players who normally may not be getting the same playing time to step it up, BIG TIME. We are in the middle of a dog fight with the twins and on the verge of coming out on top. I wonder if rushing back TCQ might disrupt the good thing we have going. I hope I don't get ripped a new one, but it's just my opinion. Now granted, if Quentin does come back, I won't be too upset...lol:D:

I think both Wise and Anderson (and in certain cases even Owens) have stepped up their games and masked the gaping hole left by Quentin. That's a lot easier to do, however, over 16 days than it will be over the month long crunch of the playoffs. I don't want Q back at 50% and very much doubt he will have all his power back til next year, but to say Anderson or Wise are better alternatives than a 85% Quentin is wrong in my opinion.

BleacherBandit
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
What's our record since Quentin has been out?

turners56
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM

Your answer is our record in September minus one loss (the last game Q played in). Let's see...

1-1 against Cleveland
2-1 against Los Angeles
1-3 against Toronto
2-0 against Detroit
1-1 against New York

That's a 7-6.

chaotic8512
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM

We're 7-6.

EDIT: turners just beat me to it... and he showed his work.

white sox bill
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I was thinking Q coming back in the 2nd round of playoffs when we play Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County. IIRC he's from that area anyway

thomas35forever
09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
If he's not entirely sure about his wrist, then keep him on the bench. If he does well in BP at KC and is back next week, then...wow. Just wow.

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I was thinking Q coming back in the 2nd round of playoffs when we play Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County. IIRC he's from that area anyway

He's from San Diego and went to school in Palo Alto. Neither's real close to Anaheim but San Diego isn't too far from Anaheim.

MarySwiss
09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Joe Cowley from the Sun Times via WSCR just reported the same thing. Q progressing well and will join the team in KC and possibly take BP. He went on to say if that goes well, it wouldn' be out of the question for Q to be back in the regular season.

:bandance:

That's scary. IIRC, he isn't right very often.

stevied23
09-17-2008, 08:41 PM
I would rather they keep him on the shelf until they are 100% certain that his wrist is fully healed. If he were to reaggravate that injury, there would certainly be long-term issues with his wrist.

ViPeRx007
09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I have a hard time believing that Carlos will be rushed back. If he's coming back, it'll be because he's ready to go.

Surely they aren't going to be that stupid with him.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I think you play him in the regular season simply to get him some game action, shake off some of the rust... It is TCQ, he might just start crushing homers out of the gate.

Nice to read he's close as least!
Yep. Agreed on that. Even if it's in a pinch-hitting role just to give him a few cuts in a game situation. Having TCQ back for Soxtober would be HUGE!!!

champagne030
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Im nervous too, hard to believe someone could come back from wrist surgery so soon.

I don't know the semantics of the word "surgery", but I wouldn't say he had wrist surgery. I understood that they inserted screws to act as a splint....Much like a "halo" for someone who has broke their neck. At least that's what I heard.....maybe what I heard is bull****, but.....

ViPeRx007
09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't know the semantics of the word "surgery", but I wouldn't say he had wrist surgery. I understood that they inserted screws to act as a splint....Much like a "halo" for someone who has broke their neck. At least that's what I heard.....maybe what I heard is bull****, but.....

It was an outpatient procedure. They didn't even have to put him under anesthesia. It was "surgery" but it didn't sound very invasive.

champagne030
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
It was an outpatient procedure. They didn't even have to put him under anesthesia. It was "surgery" but it didn't sound very invasive.

That's what I heard.....

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
From White Sox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080917&content_id=3497747&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Quentin comes back... I am really liking the Sox to have a good time in the playoffs.

dwalteroo
09-17-2008, 11:58 PM
I am all for Quentin coming back ASAP, but only as long as the following three conditions are met:

1) There is minimal risk of him aggravating or worsening his wrist, that it's healed to the point the docs give him the green light;
2) He can play at a level that exceeds that of where Anderson/Wise are now defensively and otherwise, without risking #1;
and
3) He's ready and able to hit, in that he's had enough practice that the first few games aren't "feelers" for him.

I want TCQ back like nobody's business, but we shouldn't roll the dice with the one young guy we need more than anyone in the next few years. If that means waiting for the playoffs, so be it.

Bucky F. Dent
09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Please don't rush him back.

Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please don't rush him back...

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 10:06 AM
He is going to do some conditioning work with the staff first. Then it is off to take some dry swings. After that I would imagine it is off to the batting cage off the Tee, and then full BP.

Is this going to have an effect on throwing ability though, because he does have a decent cannon?

UofCSoxFan
09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
He is going to do some conditioning work with the staff first. Then it is off to take some dry swings. After that I would imagine it is off to the batting cage off the Tee, and then full BP.

Is this going to have an effect on throwing ability though, because he does have a decent cannon?

I wouldn't be too concerned even if it does....I mean we won a World Series with Scotty Pods in LF and his noodle arm. Now way it would be that bad.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Just a concern of mine. With a guy trying to make home, I'd like to see him throw the ball well.

Law11
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I wonder if rushing back TCQ might disrupt the good thing we have going.

What good thing going.. we are 4-6 in our last 10..

We need :superman: back...

champagne030
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Just a concern of mine. With a guy trying to make home, I'd like to see him throw the ball well.

I'd rather he throw it home left-handed than see Jerry ****ing Owens ever step into a batters box again.

The Immigrant
09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd rather he throw it home left-handed than see Jerry ****ing Owens ever step into a batters box again.

I'd rather see Quentin bat one-handed than see Owens in the batters box. No teal implied.

kevingrt
09-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Dwayne Wise has no cannon either.

A noodle arm of TCQ would be about as good as Jerry or Dwyane's arm in LF.

TDog
09-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned even if it does....I mean we won a World Series with Scotty Pods in LF and his noodle arm. Now way it would be that bad.

You mean with the power of Scott Podsednik in left. You hear all the time these days about how teams that rely on home runs don't fare well in the postseason, but people forget about the White Sox doing some home run damage in 2005. And Podsednik hit two more home runs in the postseason than he did in the regular season.

soxpride724
09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
If he's healthy and has been cleared by the doctors, bring him back this year.

I don't want any of that Terrel Owens BS, trying to play when not completely cleared. TO is lucky he didn't **** up his carreer.

Jurr
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Ask Konerko what a banged up wrist does to your production. He's been fighting it all year.

With the atrophy that comes from immobilization, you have to hope that Carlos has enough strength in the wrist to generate enough bat speed. I guess we'll see.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
T-Dog:

Very true...of course it was the fact that they could do a number of things offensively (unlike say this season) that put them into the postseason in the first place.

Lip

35th&Shields
09-18-2008, 01:26 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. He couldn't even shake hands last week.

voodoochile
09-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Couldn't or wouldn't? Big difference. When recovering from an injury, you don't risk aggravating it. He might have been able to shake hands, but chose not to for the simple reason, why risk a set back?

The Critic
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Maybe he just didn't like you.
:D:

JB98
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
If Quentin can get back to even 80 percent, play him. I have no concerns about him "rushing back." We have a chance to win right now. We're not promised a contending team next year or the year after.

downstairs
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
We can get to the playoffs without him (not easy, but we can).

He'll be back during the playoffs.

Maybe a Kurt Gibson type moment? Hobbles to the plate, holds the bat with one hand, bunts in the final run?

whitesox901
09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Even if he is ready, best let him rest all off-season. Dont need no troubles in his rist from him trying to rush back.

sox1970
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Even if he is ready, best let him rest all off-season. Dont need no troubles in his rist from him trying to rush back.

How about if he's ready, he plays, and if he isn't, he doesn't? :rolleyes:

whitesox901
09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
How about if he's ready, he plays, and if he isn't, he doesn't? :rolleyes:

Good point :tongue:

Dont blame me, im a poster on WSI! :D:

35th&Shields
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Couldn't or wouldn't? Big difference. When recovering from an injury, you don't risk aggravating it. He might have been able to shake hands, but chose not to for the simple reason, why risk a set back?

Couldn't. Shook hands with his left hand. Then again it was wrapped up pretty good and he has the cast off now. This isn't football, so I don't really doubt the doctors' reports, but that is a serious injury that required an internal fixation with surgical hardware. Most people don't bounce back from that 100% ever, let alone in a few weeks.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I am no doctor but I have had a similar fracture to what he had and it only took me 4 weeks to be back with the same strength. It took hard work but the bone healed properly within 2 weeks of the injury. I would have to say that he "could" be close to 100% by the ALCS.

Till then, I just don't know how effective he could be for us.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I am no doctor but I have had a similar fracture to what he had and it only took me 4 weeks to be back with the same strength. It took hard work but the bone healed properly within 2 weeks of the injury. I would have to say that he "could" be close to 100% by the ALCS.

Till then, I just don't know how effective he could be for us.Umm... sorry, but you are no Carlos Quentin! :cool:

Wait... is the ALDS the first series? :?: I have no idea about the playoff sched. I just watched the games in 05'. :tongue:

champagne030
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Couldn't. Shook hands with his left hand. Then again it was wrapped up pretty good and he has the cast off now. This isn't football, so I don't really doubt the doctors' reports, but that is a serious injury that required an internal fixation with surgical hardware. Most people don't bounce back from that 100% ever, let alone in a few weeks.

I think you mean external fixation and most people do bounce back 100%.

Konerko05
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM

You keep saying "couldn't" as if he didn't have the physical strength to shake a hand. I'm sure most people don't shake hands with a cast over their wrists. As Voodoo already mentioned, I'm sure he didn't want to risk aggravating the injury either.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Hawk just said that Quentin took a few swings today and said he felt fine! This is great news! Hopefully there are no setbacks and they'll bring him back at the right time.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Hawk just said that Quentin took a few swings today and said he felt fine! This is great news! Hopefully there are no setbacks and they'll bring him back at the right time.I just wan't him back for the play-offs. I don't really want to see him play until then if we still have a nice lead in the division. It's still great news that comming back to the play-offs has a big chance! :D

manders_01
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Hawk just said that Quentin took a few swings today and said he felt fine! This is great news! Hopefully there are no setbacks and they'll bring him back at the right time.

Sounds like he may have took more than a few swings; rehab is coming along:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080919&content_id=3509382&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Rockabilly
09-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I am praying to GOD that Carlos will be back for the playoffs

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Here's hoping Chicago will have warm enough weather in Soxtober. Hitting in cold weather could be extremely painful for TCQ. A nice Sox/LAD series would be nice.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Either it was just a very small hairline fracture, or an angel came down and touched him on the head. I had a fracture of the carpal navicular (a small bone in the wrist) years ago, and I was in a cast for thirteen weeks, and had to be very careful with it for another couple of months. Either way, I'll be very happy to see him back in the lineup.

Konerko05
09-20-2008, 02:03 AM

Carlos Quentin is God.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Carlos Quentin is God.

Let's not get carried away here, Konerko05. Carlos Quentin is not G-d. He's a very good baseball player but it's kinda, I dunno, far-fetched to annoint him the Father, Son & the Holy Spirit, at this point in time.

YMMV.

Konerko05
09-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Let's not get carried away here, Konerko05. Carlos Quentin is not G-d. He's a very good baseball player but it's kinda, I dunno, far-fetched to annoint him the Father, Son & the Holy Spirit, at this point in time.

YMMV.

Ok, well just tell me when it's the right point in time to annoint him the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is very important to me.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok, well just tell me when it's the right point in time to annoint him the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is very important to me.

Also I'd appreciate it if you said G-d next time. You know, it is one of the 10 Commitments and all.

It's a big pet of mine when people say it in vain.

Konerko05
09-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Also I'd appreciate it if you said G-d next time. You know, it is one of the 10 Commitments and all.

Sorry, I've never been very good at commitments. I think I was looking to Carlos Quentin to fill that void in my life. I may have been premature. I apologize.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Ok who the F' edited my post?

Anyway, is Quentin coming back for the Minnesota series or what? Too much conflicting into.

kittle42
09-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Sorry, I've never been very good at commitments. I think I was looking to Carlos Quentin to fill that void in my life. I may have been premature. I apologize.

I also worship at the lego hair altar. His fracture shall not be in vain!

turners56
09-20-2008, 11:32 AM
So did Q take BP yet?

Gammons Peter
09-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Telling people how to spell god is not allowed

voodoochile
09-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Telling people how to spell god is not allowed

Okay, everyone...

1) Leave the moderating to the mods.

2) Religion like politics is one of those topics that is too volatile for these forums. Please visit the PI forums to continue the discussion. Don't expect to see lots of support when you get there.

3) Thank You...

Nellie_Fox
09-21-2008, 02:11 AM

Anyway, is Quentin coming back for the Minnesota series or what? Too much conflicting into.If you're asking who changed "vein" to "vain," it was me. It bothers you that I changed it from wrong to right? Or was there some hidden humor in your original post that I missed?

Anyway, the only reason I'm not going to whack you for evading the language filter in your post is because you did it so long ago, and the other mods/admins let it go. You know better.

nasox
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM

God, I hate when people hijack threads.

What I want to know is if TCQ has done any actual hitting (not off a tee, but BP stuff). Has he done any?

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
If you're asking who changed "vein" to "vain," it was me. It bothers you that I changed it from wrong to right?

It was bizarre for you to stealthily edit content like that. I thought "fixing" other people posts for no reason was a no-no, but whatever no big deal. For a moment I thought I was hallucinating :redneck

Btw, what language filter evasion are you talking about?

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 04:57 PM

Anyway, is Quentin coming back for the Minnesota series or what? Too much conflicting into.

It was bizarre for you to stealthily edit content like that. I thought "fixing" other people posts for no reason was a no-no, but whatever no big deal. For a moment I thought I was hallucinating :redneck

Btw, what language filter evasion are you talking about?

I highlighted it in red for you.

And no, editing a post is not against the rules should a Mod feel they have a valid reason.

Quoting someone, changing that quote then typing "fixed your post" is against the rules.

JB98
09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
God, I hate when people hijack threads.

What I want to know is if TCQ has done any actual hitting (not off a tee, but BP stuff). Has he done any?

As of yesterday, no. Don't know if there were any additional developments today.

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I can't be more on-the-fence about Quentin coming back.

For every 'pro' there is a 'con', it seems.

I'd rather Sox hitters like Dye, Thome, Swisher, etc not count on him coming back at all, and instead ramp up their production.

doublem23
09-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't be more on-the-fence about Quentin coming back.

For every 'pro' there is a 'con', it seems.

I'd rather Sox hitters like Dye, Thome, Swisher, etc not count on him coming back at all, and instead ramp up their production.

.288/.394/.571

No way that bat would help our lineup.

:rolleyes:

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I highlighted it in red for you.

And no, editing a post is not against the rules should a Mod feel they have a valid reason.

Quoting someone, changing that quote then typing "fixed your post" is against the rules.

I thought the whole point of the letter 'F' was so the entire profane word itself won't have to be used and thus effect is mitigated. It's even less than some people typing f-word and it's not considered filter violation. Mea culpa.

Re: vein vs. vain. What's next, are Mods going to get involved in improper comma usage, or mess with synthax of a post when it's not to their liking? Without bothering to tell the poster? Seriously, it was bizarre, if nothing else.

English is not my native language, and I am not too good with words/typing anyway. Sorry, didn't know it offended Nellie's sensibility.

chisoxjtrain
09-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Re: vein vs. vain. What's next, are Mods going to get involved in improper comma usage, or mess with synthax of a post when it's not to their liking? Without bothering to tell the poster? Seriously, it was bizarre, if nothing else.

Not a good idea to question the mods

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
.288/.394/.571

No way that bat would help our lineup.

:rolleyes:

Common mistake.

You're assuming that Quentin coming back prematurely - and make no mistake about it, if it had occured in May-June, he'd be gone until after the ASB most likely - means he'll be in any condition to put up near 1000 OPS.

Not that dissimilar to the "if only we could get Crede/Linbrink back, all will be well with the world" wishful thinking.

The difference is, of course, if Linerbink/Crede are rushed and are re-injured, I can live with that as the latter is gone anyway and the former is just a glorified middle reliever the way he's pitching since June.... Compromising Quentin's long-term health is a big NO-NO.

Finally..., there is no telling how atrophied his top-hand has become as result of surgery/inactivity. Timing/mechanics can suffer too.

YMMV.

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I thought the whole point of the letter 'F' was so the entire profane word itself won't have to be used and thus effect is mitigated. It's even less than some people typing f-word and it's not considered filter violation. Mea culpa.

English is not my native language, and I am not too good with words/typing anyway. Sorry, didn't know it offended Nellie's sensibility.

The whole point of having a language filter is so that offensive words get starred out automatically and thus people shouldn't try to self-censor. Read the rules at the top of these forums. It's pretty straight forward.

Here's an example:

Who the **** edited my post?

Yes, I typed the word most adults would put where the stars are exactly as it is properly typed.

Basically, when using profanity the rule is, type the word as spelled. If the filter takes it out you are not in trouble. If the filter does not take it out, you are not in trouble. If you self censor yourself and leave parts of the swear word visible, you will be in trouble.

Let the filter do its job...

voodoochile
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Not a good idea to question the mods

Nor to give advice on how to deal with the mods...:rolleyes:

We got this, but thanks...

SoxandtheCityTee
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
What does YMMV mean?

gobears1987
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm a fairly religious Jew and I don't tell others how to spell Hashem's name. I always write G-d, but it doesn't mean that others should have to.

chisoxjtrain
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
What does YMMV mean?

I looked it up and all I found were an acronym for "your mileage may vary" and a radio station.

Adele_H
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM
What does YMMV mean?

Yo Momma something-something.

'Your Mileage May Vary'.

http://www.evangelicalright.com/pulp_fiction_sam.gif

"I been using that **** for years. Never gave much thought to what it meant. Just seemed like some cold-ass **** to say to a mothe****er before I popped a cap in his ass."

09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
You make me vomit.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
You make me vomit.

:o::(:

OK, got it, thanks everybody.

The Immigrant
09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
There goes another thread.

:dtroll:

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2008, 01:54 AM

English is not my native language, and I am not too good with words/typing anyway. Sorry, didn't know it offended Nellie's sensibility.You didn't offend my sensibility. All I did was quietly correct it so you wouldn't look ignorant. I was actually trying to help you out.

Normally, I might have corrected "synthax" to "syntax." From now on, I'll let your posts stand completely on their own merit, and you can deal with any ridicule. Sorry.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 02:06 AM
You didn't offend my sensibility. All I did was quietly correct it so you wouldn't look ignorant.

Too little, too late on that front.

'Ignorance is bliss' - M. Ghandy.

(I am a bit partial to bliss, truth be told. :bandance:)

Chisox353014
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Sooooo, anyway.

Any updates on Quentin? I didn't hear how his batting cage work went in KC.

asindc
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Sooooo, anyway.

Any updates on Quentin? I didn't hear how his batting cage work went in KC.

My thoughts exactly. When I saw this thread title near the top of the forum, I thought there was some recent news on TCQ. I guess not...

Jaffar
09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Somewhere in there Lip reported that he took dry swings with a stick, not a bat but that is all I have heard.

doublem23
09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Carlos+Quentin&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=w&as_mind=15&as_minm=9&as_maxd=22&as_maxm=9&nolr=1

Same old, same old... Took some cuts this weekend, not setting any time tables, Ozzie not counting on him, return in '08 still not out of the question.

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
I personally do not want him to play until Soxtober. Do we really want to risk him possibly re-injuring his wrist over this last week of the season? He should be ready come mid-next week.

oeo
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I personally do not want him to play until Soxtober. Do we really want to risk him possibly re-injuring his wrist over this last week of the season? He should be ready come mid-next week.

Do we really want to risk sticking him into the lineup in the postseason, when he hasn't played in over a month?

Chicago5oooh
09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Do we really want to risk sticking him into the lineup in the postseason, when he hasn't played in over a month?

yes.

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
If he's ready, than why not! Who do you want to replace him? Jerry Owens or a weak arm in the bullpen?

doublem23
09-22-2008, 11:16 AM

The Sox are only 9-9 and averaging less than 4.5 RPG without Carlos, so why not?

ChiSoxFan81
09-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I DEFINITELY don't want to rush Quentin back too soon and risk his career. We've seen players like Thomas and Crede try to come back too soon from injuries, only to be lost again. Q has carried us all year, and it's time for others to step it up. We have to go into this thing like he's not coming back, and if he does, it'll be a huge lift. I'm secretly hoping for a Gibson-like moment in the playoffs.

White City
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm secretly hoping for a Gibson-like moment in the playoffs.

WHOA! I just said the same thing in a different thread at the same time.

Let's all visualize it and make it happen!!!

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Adele:

Wasn't "ignorance is bliss" used by Orwell in 1984 long before Gandhi?

Lip

NLaloosh
09-22-2008, 12:45 PM
He's batting cleanup tomorrow night. Just announced.

Seriously, it would be dumb to risk injuring him when he couldn't possibly produce at his old level in a week or two.

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
He's batting cleanup tomorrow night. Just announced.
What is your source?

kittle42
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
What is your source?

Ugh. Quite obviously sarcastic.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Adele:

Lip

Gandhi? As in, Mahatma Gandhi? I doubt it.

No, I was talking about a buddy of mine, Magnus "Ghandy" Ghunderson. That guy had the gift for the poetic and the profound, but threw it all away.

TDog
09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Adele:

Lip

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was assassinated in 1948. George Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948. The book was published in 1949 before his death in 1950. I have to confess ignorance of origin of "ignorance is bliss," however. I should look it up.

Some years ago, I worked with someone who had a sign on her desk reading, "Ignorance isn't bliss. It's just ignorance." I am often inspired to think about it.

White City
09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
"Ignorance is Bliss" is credited to Thomas Gray, an 18th Century British poet.

http://www.geocities.com/~bblair/1006.htm

And it was in Animal Farm, not 1984, that Orwell recycled this aphorism.

Konerko05
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm starting to lose any bit of hope I had for a healthy Quentin returning for the playoffs. I think this is a case when no news equals bad news. Has anyone heard anything since he took the dry swings in KC?

russ99
09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm starting to lose any bit of hope I had for a healthy Quentin returning for the playoffs. I think this is a case when no news equals bad news. Has anyone heard anything since he took the dry swings in KC?

Patience...

That would be quite the surprise thrown at whoever the opponent would be if the Sox make the playoffs (I ain't jinxing it).

Why show the Sox their hand now?

aryzner
09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not holding my breath. I'd rather he not come back and be healthy for years rather than come back and re-injure it and have him sub-100% for the rest of his career.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
White:

I was thinking "Ignorance Is Strength." My bad.

Lip

soxwon
09-22-2008, 05:53 PM
He's on PEDs.

TCQ has taken lessons from CM PUNK on wrist reveloutions.
you WWE people know what i mean.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 05:55 PM
White:

I was thinking "Ignorance Is Strength." My bad.

Lip

I don't think it's right, Lip. I think you meant 'ignorance is strenght for the wicked for they shall inherit the earth'.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
"Ignorance is Bliss" is credited to Thomas Gray, an 18th Century British poet.

http://www.geocities.com/~bblair/1006.htm

And it was in Animal Farm, not 1984, that Orwell recycled this aphorism.

The complete line (. . . where ignorance is bliss/'Tis folly to be wise") and the full sense of Gray's poem -- once widely anthologized -- rescue him somewhat from the cropped version, if not from other, literary criticisms. Observing school boys at play, the poet (somewhat morosely, apparently full of his own sorrows) muses that they don't know what life and fate have in store for them, and that it's just as well:

Yet ah! why should they know their fate?
Since sorrow never comes too late,
And happiness too swiftly flies.
Thought would destroy their paradise.
No more; where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise.

Two and a half centuries later, people occasionally debate whether it's better to live in the moment or worry about the future. :wink:

btrain929
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Where the hell has this thread gone to? Hopefully nobody bashes me for ending my sentence with a preposition. :D:

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 06:23 PM
The complete line (. . . where ignorance is bliss/'Tis folly to be wise") and the full sense of Gray's poem -- once widely anthologized -- rescue him somewhat from the cropped version, if not from other, literary criticisms. Observing school boys at play, the poet (somewhat morosely, apparently full of his own sorrows) muses that they don't know what life and fate have in store for them, and that it's just as well:

Yet ah! why should they know their fate?
Since sorrow never comes too late,
And happiness too swiftly flies.
Thought would destroy their paradise.
No more; where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise.

Two and a half centuries later, people occasionally debate whether it's better to live in the moment or worry about the future. :wink:

Some r born to sweet delight,
Some r born to endless night.

voodoochile
09-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Some r born to sweet delight,
Some r born to endless night.

And I suppose it depends on how well the Sox play to determine which kind of summer got born that year...

guillen4life13
09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Too little, too late on that front.

'Ignorance is bliss' - M. Ghandy.

(I am a bit partial to bliss, truth be told. :bandance:)

Okay. This is a peeve of mine since this is a man I have looked up to above any other (except, of course, my own father) since I was a child. The name is not spelled Ghandy. It is not Ghandi either. It is Gandhi!

Now, to the actual topic:

Nellie: I don't know how long ago you had your wrist fracture or at what age, but it's hard to assume how long it will take to come back from an injury like that, since a healthy 26 year old generally recovers from injury quicker than even a 35 year old. That said, I really do hope that TCQ is honest about his wrist and does not hide any pain or discomfort in order to get back into the lineup. He could be a liability, and you know pitchers will pitch him inside to try and jam him. I'd rather him sit it out and come back next year at full strength. I know I might catch crap for this, but I think that the Sox making the playoffs would already be a success for this year and frankly, I don't see the Sox advancing past the ALCS. Hell, TBQH, since homefield advantage will not be ours in the ALDS, I have a hard time seeing the Sox beat the Rays or even the Angels in the first round. However, in the unlikely event of the Sox making the World Series, I do think that they will win. Right now I just see the Sox as the weakest of the AL playoff teams. I'm not making predictions since the playoffs can be really wild, but looking at the competition rationally, I see the Sox being outmatched by every opponent and especially the Rays because they will be the likely opponents in the ALDS, and that would mean playing dome baseball for the first two of a best of five series.

BUT... with the way the team is built, I can see next year being very, very special. Ramirez and Quentin will be back and may improve upon their performances from this year, though even if they repeat this year they will be fine. Konerko should have a better 2009 than he had this year, as should Swisher. Bring in either Figgins or a leadoff 2B with Getz/Uribe starting or being the UT infielder. There's a logjam with Thome, Konerko, Swisher and Anderson on the team, but I think it would be reasonable for Anderson and Swisher to fight for the CF job in spring training, considering how both have played so far this year. Konerko stays at 1B and Thome stays at DH. This lineup needs some balance and their '08 playoff success entirely depends on whether or not they are hot when they need to be. Consistency is key here.

Pitching: The pitching is really what worries me about the playoffs. The starting pitching is nothing like 2005, and I have to hope that Danks and Floyd don't run out of juice come crunch time. I like what I've seen from Clayton Richard this year but I worry about having three lefties in the rotation (Danks, Richard and Buehrle). Danks and Floyd really came out this year and I hope they build on their success. I hope that Danks can make the next transformation into a legit ace pitcher next season. I hope that Buehrle can return to that level.

But as far as the '08 playoffs go, we need first half pitching and second half hitting from this team. Both at the same time. This will be tough for them.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Where the hell has this thread gone to? Hopefully nobody bashes me for ending my sentence with a preposition. :D:

I sure won't. That's something I don't get up to. :D:

Is TCQ's injury the navicular bone? I thought that was in mid-hand, not the wrist?

Edit: Appears that what was once called the navicular bone in the hand is now called the scaphoid, and is in the wrist. A friend broke his and what I recall is that the blood supply to the area is naturally kind of poor, slowing some people's recovery.

Adele_H
09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay. This is a peeve of mine since this is a man I have looked up to above any other (except, of course, my own father) since I was a child. The name is not spelled Ghandy. It is not Ghandi either. It is Gandhi!

How dare you desecrate the memory of my friend Magnus so! :angry:

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Nellie: I don't know how long ago you had your wrist fracture or at what age, but it's hard to assume how long it will take to come back from an injury like that, since a healthy 26 year old generally recovers from injury quicker than even a 35 year old.I was 24. However, the navicular (apparently(see SatCT post below) now called the scaphoid; I wonder why they changed the name) is notoriously difficult to heal, poor blood supply as stated. If they are already letting TCQ swing a bat, it wasn't that bone.

Is TCQ's injury the navicular bone? I thought that was in mid-hand, not the wrist?

Edit: Appears that what was once called the navicular bone in the hand is now called the scaphoid, and is in the wrist. A friend broke his and what I recall is that the blood supply to the area is naturally kind of poor, slowing some people's recovery.As I said, I doubt it. My orthopedic physician said I'd have been better off falling on my face than fracturing the navicular. Not only that, but it must have been a hairline type fracture rather than a complete fracture to have healed this fast. The navicular is on the thumb side of the wrist, and TCQ hit the bat with the edge of his wrist on the little finger side.

We have a couple of physicians around; maybe one of them can wade in on this.

Corlose 15
09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I was 24. However, the navicular (apparently(see SatCT post below) now called the scaphoid; I wonder why they changed the name) is notoriously difficult to heal, poor blood supply as stated. If they are already letting TCQ swing a bat, it wasn't that bone.

There is also a navicular bone in your foot. It was probably changed to avoid confusion.

As I said, I doubt it. My orthopedic physician said I'd have been better off falling on my face than fracturing the navicular. Not only that, but it must have been a hairline type fracture rather than a complete fracture to have healed this fast. The navicular is on the thumb side of the wrist, and TCQ hit the bat with the edge of his wrist on the little finger side.

We have a couple of physicians around; maybe one of them can wade in on this.

I'm not a doctor but the issue with the scaphoid is the lack of bloodflow which can not only cause the bone to take longer to heal but if the bloodflow is severely disrupted can cause something called avascular necrosis. In which the bone essentially deteriorates due to a lack of blood supply. Its probably more likely that if Quentin broke something in his hand instead of his wrist it was something like the Hamate or Pisiform.

Sockinchisox
09-23-2008, 10:19 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080923&content_id=3534276&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws