PDA

View Full Version : 8 Teams One Champion - 2008 edition

Fenway
09-17-2008, 01:14 PM
As we come to the end of the 2008 regular season where do we stand.

The AL is almost set

IN Anaheim, Boston, Tampa

CLOSE White Sox

IN TROUBLE Twins

White Sox pretty much control their own fate now. They need at least one more in NY, 2 in KC, at least 1 in Minneapolis and finish with 2 at home against Cleveland...that should be enough as that would mean 3 other losses by the Twins would seal the deal. The White Sox just have to treat the Royals games as being as important as the games in Minneapolis.

Twins have to deal with Tampa on the road for 4 which will be tough and Minnesota could easily lose 2 or 3 there as Tampa fighting to win the East.

NL
IN Cubs
CLOSE Dodgers

MUSICAL CHAIRS Mets, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Houston

Brewers maybe in the worst shape as even CC couldn't get a win last night and they have 5 more with the Cubs. The NL is simply too close to call.

soxpride724
09-17-2008, 01:23 PM
In the N.L I don't see Milwaukee getting in.

ode to veeck
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
The Cubs could start resting key roster players once they clinch though, enabling cheap wins for opponents in the stretch

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
The Cubs could start resting key roster players once they clinch though, enabling cheap wins for opponents in the stretch
Milwaukee still has to play the Cubs the last weekend of the year, which doesn't bode well for them, since they seem to always choke against the Cubs.

White City
09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Milwaukee still has to play the Cubs the last weekend of the year, which doesn't bode well for them, since they seem to always choke against the Cubs.

It will pose an interesting dilemma for the Cubs:

1) Do they let Milwaukee win those games, to ensure that the Cubs face the Dodgers and not one of the NL East teams -- and hope that Milwaukee somehow wins the NLDS to ensure an easy NLCS for the Cubs?
2) Do they try to kill off Milwaukee, opting to get whoever chokes the most in the NL East and let the allegedly hot teams (Dodgers, NL East winner) smack each other around for a 5-game series?

Could be interesting for Sweet Lou.

DSpivack
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
In the N.L I don't see Milwaukee getting in.

Both the Mets and Brewers are choking, the Astros got one hit on two days and if they're distracted by bigger issues that's understandable. Question is, down the stretch who steps up?

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the Phillies might win the East with the Mets hanging on to win the Wild Card. No way do the Brewers make it at this point. They are fading fast and don't show any signs of slowing their free fall.

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 02:13 PM
The Brewers:
http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I know that it has been mentioned before but Houston really really got screwed.

RockJock07
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, at this point in the NL it's really about who wants it. The Mets seem like they are fading faster then I expected. The question is does anyone wanna win the Wild Card? The Mets, Astros, and Brewers all lost Tuesday and all are struggling.

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
The Brewers:
http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

Ned Toast.

kittle42
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Ned Toast.

:)

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Ned Toast.
Witty.

getonbckthr
09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
I know that it has been mentioned before but Houston really really got screwed.
Ya they got screwed but you know what playoff teams find ways to battle through adversity. ALso where was this Astro team 6 weeks ago?

whitesox901
09-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Twins are in trouble, they got Lee tonight, maybe if we really cross our fingers Richard wont get lit up like he's wearing a gasoline shirt and we can win and extend our lead to 3.5!!!!!!

Fenway
09-19-2008, 12:40 AM
I sadly was correct in thinking the series in The Bronx would be a disaster for the White Sox and the Twins gutsy win in Tampa just complicates things more.

The White Sox have to focus on the Royals now and win at least 2 and hopefully sweep.

I am in an awkward situation as Twins wins in Tampa can help the Red Sox. I am shocked that the Chisox looked so lifeless tonight in NY.

Watching and hoping.