PDA

View Full Version : Stepping It Up When the Injuries Hit

kjhanson
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
There's been a lot of talk recently about the definition of a playoff team, and how the Sox can't possibly be one because of their inconsistencies. However, one aspect where the Sox have shined brightly this year is their ability to overcome big injuries by having the replacements play effectively, or getting a lift from someone else:

Exhibit A: Jose Contreras and Gavin Floyd
Gavin had been pitching well all year, but he's become the stopper since Contreras went down on July 13 (he did come back for 5 outs on August 9th). The Sox are 9-3 in his 12 starts since then and he has halted 3-game losing streaks twice.

Exhibit B: Joe Crede and Juan Uribe
Juan has picked up the slack twice this year. When Crede was lost between July 22nd and August 24th, Juan proceeded to hit .276 with an un-Uribe like 9 walks, good for a .340 OBP. And of course, he played stellar defense. Crede was lost again September 2nd and all Juan has done is hit .357 with a .967 OPS

Exhibit C: Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko
After sturggling all year to a .236 BA and a .393 SLG%, Paul Konerko has hit .379 with a .759 SLG% in (his) eight games following Quentin's injury.

Exhibit D: Scott Linebrink and D.J. Carrasco
Though he's struggled of late, D.J. Carrasco posted a 1-0 record with a 3.23 ERA in 21 games while Scott Linebrink was out of action. In a crumbling bullpen, Carrasco pitched well in key situations. Though the bullpen is still a mess, Carrasco should be commended for his efforts filling in.

If not for the efforts of these players filling in or stepping up, who knows where we would be.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Good teams have the ability to plug a guy in to make things work. I knew it would be only a matter of time before Konerko got his stroke back. He is not washed up and there is really no evidence of that, just having a rough year at the plate.

I think that for a guy who had a bad year at the plate, we should consider Swisher as a guy who stepped up to get the job done. He also should be cut some slack because he has not been able to work into a grove this year. I think he will come back and do a wonderful job for this club next year.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree about Swisher, too many people in this forum are destroying him. I understand the guy is going through a slump but he can and will help the sox next year.

As for the Sox this year, they have overcome many obstacles to be 2.5 games up this late into the year. We overcame pre-season predictions and a myriad of injuries that you have mentioned. This team it without a doubt one of the toughest teams in the major leagues. It will be tough for the Sox to make the playoffs, and from there on out do well in the playoffs but one thing is guaranteed: this team won't give in.

Even if the Sox were down 7-4 in the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon losing the series I expect the Sox to make it a hell of a show.

Truthfully told I consider the Sox a hell of a shot to win it again, and I am not writing out of a fan's perspective. If everything lines up the way it is supposed to and if the pitching gets it done I believe the sox have a great a shot to win the championship.

Expect a hell of a ride.