PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Thome PA Countdown Thread

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Thome stands at 547 PAs for the season which gives him 1,083 over the last two seasons. With 1,100 PAs over the two seasons, his $13 million option for 2009 kicks in.

17 PAs to go with 11 (possibly 12) games left. Seems like a lock.

kjhanson
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
He'll be bought out I believe, so it's irrelevant.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 10:15 AM

If he hits the minimum number of PAs, the option is guaranteed. How exactly will the Sox buy him out?

asindc
09-17-2008, 10:16 AM

As far as I understand it, the Sox cannot exercise the buy out once he reaches 1100. The only way they get out of the contract at that point is to negotiate a different buyout with Thome, which makes no sense from Thome's perspective.

RowanDye
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Thome stands at 547 PAs for the season which gives him 1,083 over the last two seasons. With 1,100 PAs over the two seasons, his $13 million option for 2009 kicks in.

17 PAs to go with 11 (possibly 12) games left. Seems like a lock.

Wouldn't postseason PAs go into the total as well?

With Thome, Konerko, Swisher, Fields, and Dye the Sox obviously have some big decisions to make this winter. The problem is that it would be difficult to trade the ageing Thome or Konerko; and we would be selling low on Swisher, Fields, or Konerko.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 10:18 AM
As far as I understand it, the Sox cannot exercise the buy out once he reaches 1100. The only way they get out of the contract at that point is to negotiate a different buyout with Thome, which makes no sense from Thome's perspective.

Exactly. Thome is a nice guy and all but he isn't going to bail on a $13 million guaranteed contract.

cleanwsox
09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
He's had a pretty good 2nd half. I'm glad he'll be around another year.

kjhanson
09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
How exactly will the Sox buy him out?

I heard they will match the amount of food and alcohol you have consumed in your concession tracker.

I was under the impression that they could exercise the option or buy him out. Though given the responses to this thread already, I now believe I am wrong.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I heard they will match the amount of food and alcohol you have consumed in your concession tracker.

I was under the impression that they could exercise the option or buy him out. Though given the responses to this thread already, I now believe I am wrong.

It is a club option. Without the PA milestone clause in the contract, the Sox would do what you are suggesting: buy him out for $3 million and negotiate another deal.

JorgeFabregas
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
If he performs like he did this year, $13 mil. is about the market rate.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-17-2008, 10:35 AM
The ghost of Charlie Comiskey will come back and bench Thome the last week of the season - to save him for the playoffs.

"29 wins, is not 30, Eddie."

NLaloosh
09-17-2008, 10:42 AM
He's had a pretty good 2nd half. I'm glad he'll be around another year.

Thank you.

09-17-2008, 10:55 AM
If he can produce 1 more year of what he has done since he got here than $13 mil is worth it.

areilly
09-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't postseason PAs go into the total as well?

Actually, that's a really good question. Does anyone here know the contract language around that?

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Actually, that's a really good question. Does anyone here know the contract language around that?

Postseason numbers do not count.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:07 AM
He should stick around and collect that money. I think this is another situation of "your damned if you do and damned if you don't". He is still a great ballplayer and can still contribute to this team. Oft times most people overlook the fact that a player also has the ability to lead and be a steadying force in the clubhouse. Let us not overlook that fact.

hawkjt
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
beg the question...if the sox clinch on say...tuesday:D: and Thome was 1 at bat short ...would they sit him the rest of the week?

I hope the situation presents itself but no likely,I know.
If Swish was going good, they could justify having him play first vs a tough lefty with PK at DH but again...swish not going good.
I want him back next year but at about 6-7 million,not 13.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
I need to stick with these guys. The last thing that would want to do is not give Thome PA's just because of a stupid contract thing.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
beg the question...if the sox clinch on say...tuesday:D: and Thome was 1 at bat short ...would they sit him the rest of the week?Short answer: no. If they were going to be devious enough to make sure he doesn't get the PA's, they'd have spread it out over the season under the guise of "keeping him healthy." If they just sat him down now, it would be obvious what they were doing and a PR disaster. He'll get the PA's, and good for him.

btrain929
09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
beg the question...if the sox clinch on say...tuesday:D: and Thome was 1 at bat short ...would they sit him the rest of the week?

If Swish was going good, they could justify having him play first vs a tough lefty with PK at DH but again...swish not going good.

It's been rumored that if his option turns to guaranteed, then Philly would cover part of the '09 salary as well, which would be a-okay with me.

getonbckthr
09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Based on information from MLB4U.com Thome's contract for 2009 is 13 million dollars. We have a 3 million dollar byuout option. If we keep him around Philly gives us 5.5 million. So how I see we have 3 million guarenteed to Thome. Add in the 5.5 from Philadelphia that comes to 8.5 million. That would mean for additional 4.5 million dollars Jim Thome would be our DH. I think thats a pretty good deal.

voodoochile
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Based on information from MLB4U.com Thome's contract for 2009 is 13 million dollars. We have a 3 million dollar byuout option. If we keep him around Philly gives us 5.5 million. So how I see we have 3 million guarenteed to Thome. Add in the 5.5 from Philadelphia that comes to 8.5 million. That would mean for additional 4.5 million dollars Jim Thome would be our DH. I think thats a pretty good deal.

And one more time...

If Jim hits the PA number (and it looks like he will easily), the buyout option no longer exists. Next year's salary becomes guaranteed the moment Thome hits that 1100th PA. The buyout doesn't matter and isn't an option when that happens.

getonbckthr
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
And one more time...

If Jim hits the PA number (and it looks like he will easily), the buyout option no longer exists. Next year's salary becomes guaranteed the moment Thome hits that 1100th PA. The buyout doesn't matter and isn't an option when that happens.
Ya I know I was just looking at in general without the PA's.

chaerulez
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
We get Thome next year for $7.5 million due to the Phillies paying a portion of the contract. That's a pretty good value.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
And one more time...

I think the comment was more about how much the Sox will be out of pocket next year. This debate has been going on forever but no one really knows the financial details of how much (if any) of Thome's option year would be picked up by Philly. Would the Sox on the hook for the full $13 million? Only the option cost minus the buyout value? Did the agreement include Philly sending more money over if the option kicked in? Why is Thome so selfish?

No one other than the front offices really know.

We get Thome next year for $7.5 million due to the Phillies paying a portion of the contract. That's a pretty good value.

Source? And don't you dare link to mlb4u.com...

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 11:08 PM
4 more PAs tonight, 13 to go...

itsnotrequired
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Another four down. Nine to go.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Another four down. Nine to go.
I wish our magic number would drop as quickly.

TomBradley72
09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
I think I'm in the minority, but I would rather not have Thome back next year. He's hitting in the ~.180's for September, he'll be a year older/slower, he's only hitting ~.250 for the year...we can get better production at DH and need the flexibility of moving either PK or Dye into that slot. Looks like he'll be back in 2009....I think we can count on at least 2-3 months of very frustrating ("is he washed up?") level of production.

We've had three consecutive seasons of:
We're a 16" softball team than can't manufacture runs
Our bullpen is killing us despite decent/solid starting pitching
A revolving door in CF with guys playing out of position
Based on the contract situations with our veterans...we're headed towards more of the same.

oeo
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Why do so many people want to screw the guy over? The guy earned it, he's stayed healthy all year long. He's also been nothing but good for this team since he's gotten here. So please, get over it.

I'd actually like to see the guy hit his 600th homerun here.

esbrechtel
09-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Why do so many people want to screw the guy over? The guy earned it, he's stayed healthy all year long. He's also been nothing but good for this team since he's gotten here. So please, get over it.

Me too....I like Big Jim, maybe he will hit 60+ homers next year and get to 600 then :D:

hawkjt
09-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I do not want to screw him over...7 million is decent walking around money. Big Jim has earned what over his career? Maybe 130 million?
I just would like the sox to be able to take the extra 8-9 million and add to the bullpen or leadoff hitter. Now, if Philly is actually picking up half..that goes down much better. I like Thome. But I like to win better.

itsnotrequired
09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
seven to go

Noneck
09-19-2008, 10:04 PM
If his back starting acting up after tonight game, would he tell anyone? I know I wouldn't until I got the required AB's.

itsnotrequired
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Four to go. Assuming he starts tomorrow, simply showing up at the plate near the end of the game will reward Thome with an extra $10 million next year.

:mg:

Rdy2PlayBall
09-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Me too....I like Big Jim, maybe he will hit 60+ homers next year and get to 600 then :D:I think he has at least 2-3 years left in him as long as he can still walk. Any crappy team would take him for a DH over some other crappy players. :tongue: He should get 600 HR's, he's grown on me and I hope he does it with the Sox. :cool:

Gavin
09-19-2008, 11:20 PM

Meh, I'm indifferent. Regardless, I don't want to screw him over but he's getting paid millions of dollars to---at worst---do nothing for a year. GMAB.

pierzynski07
09-20-2008, 09:40 PM
The plate appearence that brings him back next year... how about a game tying blast?

Well it was worth a shot.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, looks like the option has kicked in.

Noneck
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
All speculation on next years club has to now include Thome at DH. No more putting PK or Dye at DH, Thome is cemented there now for next year.

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
All speculation on next years club has to now include Thome at DH. No more putting PK or Dye at DH, Thome is cemented there now for next year.

That's not the end of the world; it only eliminates some possibilities for change in the lineup. But needed change can happen through other moves.

It's not that the Sox have "too much power." There's no such thing. They do not have enough speed and ability to hit for average.

This offseason, Alexei Ramirez should work on his base-stealing technique.

As rumored elsewhere, proposed acquisitions of Chone Figgins and Orlando Hudson would help, too.

Also, I'd use Swisher as the super-sub (RF, CF, LF, 1B) with BA getting the majority of CF starts (and defensive replacement in games he doesn't start). This gives Ozzie the ability to sit Swish against LHP (against whom he sucks); sit BA against select tough RHP who Brian simply can't hit; give Thome some regular rest; and on those days when Thome rests Ozzie can have either TCQ, Dye or Paulie DH.