PDA

View Full Version : Big Z doesn't like Wrigley?

swish
09-16-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-17-cubs-brite-chicagosep17,0,1561611.story

Check it out for yourself...

grv1974
09-16-2008, 11:18 PM
I suddenly have more respect for Zambrano. Notice how all the players throw in that disclaimer of "Well, Wrigley has so much history, etc. etc." even though they really do want a nicer place to play.

oeo
09-16-2008, 11:19 PM
He is a Sox fan.

grv1974
09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Not to hijack, but I absolutely loved Miller Park's giftshop when I was there. It's so spacious!!!

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Hell, if I was a player, I'd hate the place. The fans are rude and crude, the outfield walls have no padding, they play too many day games, the clubhouse (esp. the visitors') is too cramped, there's no parking, there's no video on the scoreboard to replay my great plays, there are no World Series trophies to admire, the food sucks (not that the players use the concession stands).....

jabrch
09-16-2008, 11:52 PM
That's something he should have considered before signing a 5 year contract.

Of course he likes Miller Park better. It has all his home fans there, but isn't a dump. What's not to like?

DSpivack
09-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I like how all the players interviewed sounded as if they want a new park.

twentywontowin
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
If you guys need a good morning laugh, read the comments section.

asindc
09-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Some of those fans are delusional. Don't they realize that the players' facilities have an impact on the potential signing of free agents?

I had always suspected that some of their fans don't want to abandon Wrigley until they win a WS there. It only adds to their reputation.

Iwritecode
09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Some of those fans are delusional. Don't they realize that the players' facilities have an impact on the potential signing of free agents?

I had always suspected that some of their fans don't want to abandon Wrigley until they win a WS there. It only adds to their reputation.

I suspect that they won't win a WS until they abandon Wrigley Field.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-17-2008, 09:37 AM
I suspect that they won't win a WS until they abandon Wrigley Field.

I have a feeling if this IS the year for the Cubs, a new ballpark will follow. It will be an exact brick for brick replica of Wrigley but with modern amenities.

PaleHoser
09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Zambozo probably has hurt feelings because the Cubs haven't erected a bronze statue for him yet. I'm sure the new, retractable dome stadium will have room for one.

What's the over/under for the number of band-aids on the Kerry Wood statue?

asindc
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
zambozo probably has hurt feelings because the cubs haven't erected a bronze statue for him yet. I'm sure the new, retractable dome stadium will have room for one.

what's the over/under for the number of band-aids on the kerry wood statue?

lol!

SaltyPretzel
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Zambozo probably has hurt feelings because the Cubs haven't erected a bronze statue for him yet. I'm sure the new, retractable dome stadium will have room for one.

What's the over/under for the number of band-aids on the Kerry Wood statue?

It would be a statue of him throwing a towel in a simulated game.

grv1974
09-17-2008, 10:00 AM
The funny thing is: if they DO win a World Series, then they'll say they have to keep the stadium cuz it's good luck.

Hitmen77
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
That's something he should have considered before signing a 5 year contract.

Of course he likes Miller Park better. It has all his home fans there, but isn't a dump. What's not to like?

That was exactly my first thought when I read this.

I like how all the players interviewed sounded as if they want a new park.

:sahaf
Lies! Lies! All Lies!!! All players of America's professional baseball league absolutely love adorable, wonderful Wrigley Field. New parks such as U.S. Cellphone Mallpark are a pox on our land! Modern conveniences are for infidels!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Building a parking garage underneath the ballpark???

In the middle of one of the busiest areas in the entire city? Does the poster of that comment realize what a cluster**** that would cause? It would take people a few hours to get out of there if they were parking on the bottom.

minutia
09-17-2008, 11:04 AM

It is funny but they have never won a WS at Wrigley. 100 years ago when they won they were playing at a park near UIC. I think there is a parking structure there now.

Iwritecode
09-17-2008, 11:07 AM
It is funny but they have never won a WS at Wrigley. 100 years ago when they won they were playing at a park near UIC. I think there is a parking structure there now.

What's the difference between the Cubs and the Cardinals?

The Cardinals have won a World Series in their new stadium.

Vestigio
09-17-2008, 11:11 AM

My favorites were the one that said you're a fairweather fan if you want a new park, then a poster said a few posts prior said that he wouldnt be a Cubs fan if a new stadium was created.

I also laughed when one poster questioned if they wanted to pay millions of dollars on a stadium to a group of millionaires. They were more than willing to part with their millions to watch those crappy Cubs teams of the past decade.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a feeling if this IS the year for the Cubs, a new ballpark will follow. It will be an exact brick for brick replica of Wrigley but with modern amenities.I would think they'd want to expand the seating capacity. If they used the space necessary for a modern clubhouse, training facilities, offices, suites and concourse in a "brick for brick replica," they'd lose seating, not gain it.

soxpride724
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Dosen't surprise me that a current Cubs star is ripping that **** hole. What else is new.

And yes the comments section at the bottom was a better read than the actual story,lol!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
I would think they'd want to expand the seating capacity. If they used the space necessary for a modern clubhouse, training facilities, offices, suites and concourse in a "brick for brick replica," they'd lose seating, not gain it.

Good point Nellie - what I think I meant was expand the size of Wrigley's replacement but follow the same design principle. I think the bowels of the stadium are what truly hurts it at this point for the players.

turners56
09-17-2008, 03:00 PM
He is a Sox fan.

He has close ties to Ozzie. He has even said that he would like to play for the White Sox before it's all said and done.