PDA

View Full Version : Panic time in Flushing Meadow

Fenway
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
The Mets seem to be headed for another epic collapse as they lose 1-0 in DC tonight. While it won't be as bad as last year if the Mets blow the playoffs again you have to assume the GM is gone.

Ownership was hoping for a nice playoff run and having New York all to itself in October but that now looks iffy. 2 years ago they choked in the NLCS against St Louis, last year a collapse for the ages and now this.

2 weeks ago I thought they had the best chance to knock off the Cubs but now All bets are off.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't worry the Phillies or Brewers will still do it when it counts.

Lip

Chisox353014
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
The Brewers are providing a nice little parachute for the Mets in the Wild Card. What a complete disaster this would be for Milwaukee if they don't make the playoffs. In related news, the National League is a joke.

Viva Medias B's
09-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Is something like...

:firejerry

...popping up on Met message boards?

NLaloosh
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Lip

Brewers? Did you say Brewers?????????????????????

No team ****s their pants more than the Brewers. They couldn't beat the flubs to save their lives.

I hate to say it but nobody is stopping the flubs UNTIL the World Series.

doublem23
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM

I'm sure you saw the Cardinals coming out of the NL in 2006. Anything can happen in October. The Cubs, like everyone else, aren't immune to a bad few games.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Both the Phillies and Dodgers are extremely capable of taking out the Cubs.

Blueprint1
09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
The Cubs are clearly the best team in the National league. Does that mean they are going to win the NL? Most likely they will but there is no guarantee. The 2004 Cardinals are the last #1 seed to make it to the World Series in the NL. You have to go back to 1999 to find the next one. Both of these teams lost in the World Series. If I had to put money on who Win's the NL I would have to play the Cubs.

RockJock07
09-17-2008, 01:14 PM

You couldn't be more right. Some of my Cub fan friends are scared as hell to face Manny in tight spots. If Ryan Howard can keep his current pace up through the playoffs, the Phillies could get the world series. Once the playoffs start, all bets are off.

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
The Cubs do not have a cakewalk to the World Series. Their offense is too streaky to be 100% reliable. Look at their performance only one week or so ago.

mccoydp
09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm sure you saw the Cardinals coming out of the NL in 2006. Anything can happen in October. The Cubs, like everyone else, aren't immune to a bad few games.

Yup. How about those 2000 Seattle Mariners?

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Personally, I LOVE seeing the scrubs and their "fans having such high expectations. It really makes it that much more enjoyable to watch when they find a way to blow it.

I hope that they do make it to the World Series and that a certain South Side team knocks them off. Even though I was very much against a All-Chicago World Series in the popular thread a few weeks ago. I guess that I am a hypocrite. Oh well.

getonbckthr
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
The biggest thing for the Cubs is the Dbacks missing the playoffs. Mets don't have thepen, neither does Milwaukee. Philly like last season could max out just to get there. The Dodgers ehh there pitching is to up and down.

whitesox901
09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I feal bad for the Brewers and the Mets, both having back to back seasons of pants ****ting, and Its more tword the Mets because theyre my back-up team to the White Sox.

thedudeabides
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I love seeing any NY team squirm. If they blow this, I'd imagine Jerry and Omar are out. Watching Met fans panick will be fun again.

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I think the Mets will still get in but maybe as a wild card. I think their bullpen will prevent them from going very far though. Losing Wagner made their fragile bullpen even worse. Having Jerry Manuel manage you in a tight pennant race also doesn't help as we learned all too well.

The Phillies might be the biggest threat to the Cubs in the playoffs (if they get in). Their offense seems to be firing on all cylinders and if they steal one at Wrigley, they are pretty tough to beat at their home park.

turners56
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Mets fans were very fond of Jerry Manual months ago. I wonder what their opinion on him is now. :rolleyes:

I told them that he was a bad manager, but they didn't listen.

turners56
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I think the Mets will still get in but maybe as a wild card. I think their bullpen will prevent them from going very far though. Losing Wagner made their fragile bullpen even worse. Having Jerry Manuel manage you in a tight pennant race also doesn't help as we learned all too well.

The Phillies might be the biggest threat to the Cubs in the playoffs (if they get in). Their offense seems to be firing on all cylinders and if they steal one at Wrigley, they are pretty tough to beat at their home park.

I think the Dodgers might be the Cubs' biggest obstacle. Philadelphia would be a close second.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the Dodgers might be the Cubs' biggest obstacle. Philadelphia would be a close second.
I agree. And, as much as I loathe him, Manny going into that clubhouse has turned it around 180-degrees. Great acquisition, and I might actually have to CHEER for him. :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM

Manuel had our guys believing all his nonsense for not less than 3 seasons before the inmates began running the asylum. He has only managed the Mets a few months so he might surprise us by doing well... but he'll turn into a pumpkin soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

:jerry
"It's a long season so it's important to keep your 25th guy hot until time for the Columbus Day parade!"

MarySwiss
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I can sort of get into the whole idea of the Mets eliminating the Cubs from the postseason, though! :smile:

StillMissOzzie
09-18-2008, 09:45 PM

You couldn't be more right. Some of my Cub fan friends are scared as hell to face Manny in tight spots. If Ryan Howard can keep his current pace up through the playoffs, the Phillies could get the world series. Once the playoffs start, all bets are off.

I would be greatly amused to see Manny Ramirez tattoo that Budweiser house on the other side of Waveland Avenue. Let the Cubs fans know what the AL has known for quite some time.

SMO
:gulp:

DeadMoney
09-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I can sort of get into the whole idea of the Mets eliminating the Cubs from the postseason, though! :smile:

You mean Lou Pinella vs. Jerry Manuel Part II? Unfortunately, most of us still have bad memories about Part I (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2000_ALDS2.shtml).

Personally, I like the idea of anyone eliminating the Cubs from the postseason. :redneck

SoxandtheCityTee
09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Manuel had our guys believing all his nonsense for not less than 3 seasons before the inmates began running the asylum. He has only managed the Mets a few months so he might surprise us by doing well... but he'll turn into a pumpkin soon enough. It's only a matter of time.

"It's a long season so it's important to keep your 25th guy hot until time for the Columbus Day parade!"

LOL, and :happybday

guillensdisciple
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I have been saying this to my cub fan parents for the past two months- if the Cubs don't make the world series this year they will never make the world series. This team is build for a deep playoff run and as much as it hurts to say it, that team has some scary stuff going for it.

However someone said the phillies and Dodgers are capable of taking them out and I completely agree. The NLCS should provide the cubs most difficult challenge prior to the World Series if they make it.

If the cubs don't win the NLCS I expect many a Cub fan to revert to the old "we are cursed" saying.

WSox597
09-19-2008, 09:46 AM

From your lips, to God's ear, as the saying goes.

Go Phillies, Go Dodgers.

Here's to a second 100 years.

And even if they do get past the playoffs and into the Series, they'll get smoked by whatever team exits the AL.

palehozenychicty
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Honestly, if the Mets sneak in, they could be dangerous if Maine has anything left and they plug him in the pen. He's a lot like Danks in that he has trouble going deep into games, but when he's on, he's good. They do have enough starters with Santana, Perez, and Pelfrey. Note that I didn't put Pedro in there because he's done. Thank you.

Fenway
09-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Irony now is the Mets need help from the Cubs who for some reason appear to want to play the Dodgers instead of Philadelphia.

If indeed the Mets miss again and it certainly appears to be the case the last game ever to be played at Shea will have a toxic atmosphere.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2008, 01:51 AM
It all comes down to tomorrow for the Mets and Brewers.
Oliver Perez will go against Scott Olsen for the Mets-Marlins and CC Sabathia will go on 3 days rest, again, against Angel Guzman.
Since both managers have been riding their aces all the way to the end, it will be interesting to see what happens if there is a playoff game.

soltrain21
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Mets are about to go out. On TBS if you are interested.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2008, 03:55 PM
The Mets season...
http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/emulation/recom/ff5.gif

turners56
09-28-2008, 04:05 PM
And Church just missed that one. Congrats to the Brewers.

DSpivack
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Mets lost on the last day of the season, at home, to the same team two years in a row to knock themselves out of the playoffs. Umm, wow.

turners56
09-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Mets lost on the last day of the season, at home, to the same team two years in a row to knock themselves out of the playoffs. Umm, wow.

Talk about choking...wow.

The Mets might rank up there with the Cubs now in that category.

Foulke You
09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Manuel completes another September choke job. I think this seals the deal that the Mets find another manager next year. I feel bad for the Mets fans. It has to be brutal going down 2 years straight like that on the last day. Not to mention having the last game at Shea Stadium end that way for them. The Mets bullpen has been every bit as bad as ours down the stretch this year except they don't even have a closer. At least we have that as well as Thornton.

thomas35forever
09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
How does it feel, New York? No playoff teams while Chicago may have two? Not the Second City in baseball this year!:smile:

Oh yeah, and LA already has two.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
How does it feel, New York? No playoff teams while Chicago may have two? Not the Second City in baseball this year!:smile:

Oh yeah, and LA already has two.
Chicago currently has no teams in the playoffs. If we make it, Chicago will have one.

areilly
09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Chicago currently has no teams in the playoffs. If we make it, Chicago will have one.

Teal?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing Jerry Manuel didn't get his 25th man into enough games?
:wink:

"This is the inevitable result of Argenis Reyes only getting 110 AB's!"

forte
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM

I don't get it

whitesoxwilkes
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't get it

Someone's taking their case of Cubsession a little too far and denying that they exist.

C-Dawg
09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
If indeed the Mets miss again and it certainly appears to be the case the last game ever to be played at Shea will have a toxic atmosphere.

Yep you can bet that was one really unhappy crowd going home today from Shea Stadium.

StillMissOzzie
09-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Lip
Ooops!

Unless by "do it when it counts" means win a few clutch games in the stretch drive to send the Mets home...AGAIN.

2008 post-season baseball is 100% New York-free! Gotta love it!

SMO

whitesox901
09-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Poor Mets :(:

My distant second team, for the second year.

doublem23
09-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Poor Mets :(:

My distant second team, for the second year.

Here's hoping your first team makes up for them.

doublem23
09-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Someone's taking their case of Cubsession a little too far and denying that they exist.

Don't try telling her, however, that the only good hockey team in Chicago plays in Rosemont.

http://www.forumspile.com/Misc-OhSnap.jpg

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Don't try telling her, however, that the only good hockey team in Chicago plays in Rosemont.
Where's the "This Post Sucks!" icon??? :scratch:

doublem23
09-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Where's the "This Post Sucks!" icon??? :scratch:

:neener:

palehozenychicty
09-29-2008, 08:27 AM
The Mets falling apart was hardly on Manuel. Hell, if they kept Willie, they'd probably only win 75-80 games. They don't have a bullpen at all. Their pen blew 29 games. 29 games! If I'm Kenny, I'd see what they want for Heilman. His time there is done, and he could be a great fifth starter or another solid reliever coming out. He's also a ND alum, which doesn't hurt. :D:

It also ain't Manuel's fault that Reyes and Wright have disappeared three years in a row for important contests. Beltran also rarely shows up then. Delgado got cold at the wrong time, and the injuries to Church were too much. Even if they got in, they'd be lucky to win one game. Manuel had his blunders in Chicago, but his managing isn't why they're not playing tonight.