PDA

View Full Version : *** Official *** The White Sox win.. Theeeee White Sox wiiiiiin Post-game Thread

doublem23
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Suck it, New York.

Dub25
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice Win. Pivotal point was Floyd k'ing steroid boy Giambi.

MCHSoxFan
YES!!! Good all around. Twins losing as of now by 1.

Marqhead
G
a
v
i
n
!

JB98
Things are better when only Thornton and Jenks are used out of the bullpen. Solid outing by Floyd, and I'm glad the offense tacked on a couple runs later in the game.

SOXfnNlansing
09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
What a great TEAM win!!!!!!!:bandance:

chisoxfan83
thank god they needed that come on toons! :bandance:

sox1970
Good team win.

cws05champ
much needed win....nice team effort tonight.

BTW; Jerry Owens sucks.

PushinWeight
Very nice pitching tonight. Now we need the tribe to pull one out. It is an 8-8 tie in Cleveland right now in the 8th inning.

MCHSoxFan
Nice Win. Pivotal point was Floyd k'ing steroid boy Giambi.

Oh for sure! Twins losing by 1 as of now. After today, magic # is 11, right?

rdwj
That one made me feel G-O-O-D GOOD!

munchman33
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
C'mon toons, hold on

rdwj
Oh for sure! Twins losing by 1 as of now. After today, magic # is 11, right?

Could be 10

PushinWeight

BTW; Jerry Owens sucks.

Oh, and I second that.

hawkjt
Now if the tribe can come back in their game:whiner:
it could be a big nite in the season.

Pettite is not the same....hang it up Andy.
Hughes tomorrow nite...we have seen him ,right?
Then we have a chance.

Dub25
09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Now if the tribe can come back in their game:whiner:
it could be a big nite in the season.

Pettite is not the same....hang it up Andy.
Hughes tomorrow nite...we have seen him ,right?
Then we have a chance.

If the Tribe can't comeback, as they are down 1 now, hopefully Cliff Lee can stick it up Minnesota's @$$!

itsnotrequired
thread title, lol

MCHSoxFan
Could be 10

Thanks.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
thread title, lol

omg, i no

:cool:

PicktoCLick72
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Who's going for us tomorrow?

BadBobbyJenks
09-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I would have preferred a win for the game I was in attendance for, but whatever.

Gavin The Great Floyd. That about does it for the post game wrap up.

And Jerry Owens should become a jockey.

sox1970
09-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Who's going for us tomorrow?

Probably Lance Broadway vs Phil Hughes.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Probably Lance Broadway vs Phil Hughes.

At least our ****ty starter will go up against their ****ty starter.

ChiSox89
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
great win, needed that win. floyd with another great game. lets go indians

Konerko05
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Great game tonight. Many positives to point out.

Gavin Floyd once again battles his ass off. The man has grown up completely. That 13 pitch strike out of Giambi was impressive. He really worked hard that inning. Our offense didn't give him much of a break the next inning, but he still went out there and retired them 1-2-3.

Konerko comes back and looks as if he hasn't missed a beat. Hit the ball hard his first two plate appearances.

Defense was outstanding. Mainly Cabrera and Uribe. Cabrera made a huge run- saving play.

Uribe swung the bat extemely well. He had a couple huge hits.

BA had the big walk to start the 4th and a key RBI double in the 7th.

Bullpen comes in and actually does it's job. Then again, Thornton and Jenks are the only two guys I actually trust.

The only negative was Owens. What an awful day. Not only was he overmatched in his first two at bats, his "assets" created two outs the 7th. Maybe this is actually a positive if it prompts Guillen to never start him again.

stl_sox_fan
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Very nice win. Bullpen did their job.

A lot of backwards K's tonight...Owens I'm looking at you. Just going to say he didn't have it tonight.

Go Tribe!!!

And...nice thread title....

BleacherBandit
09-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Now if only the Indians wouldn't blow a 7 run lead....god they suck...

Rdy2PlayBall
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Great win! Floyd had his stuff and so did the offence!

-----------------------------------
Look at this wierd comment. This announcer doesn't know Uribe! xD Click the one where Jeter gets his big hit.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809163488172&c_id=cws
"known more as a hitter than a fielder"

kitekrazy
09-16-2008, 09:30 PM

The Sox are known to make those guys look like Cy Youngers.

hawkjt
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
If the tribe could come back, with the rays winning...good nite.

I really think Juanie was the player of the game along with Gavin.
Clutchness by Juanie lately.

munchman33
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM

I'd rather throw their ****ty starter.

veeter
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Gavin was great. Great infield defense all around the horn. And I think Brian's rbi double was the big hit. Mark it down, Lance wins tomorrow.

tstrike2000
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Awesome win. Gavin was awesome and Thornton and Jenks did their jobs. Good to see no Dotel, Ramirez, Carrasco, Logan or Wasserman for a night. Plus, note to Ozzie: Please keep Jerry Owens on the bench from here on out unless we're up by 15 runs.

Tragg
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Suck it, New York.

Love the thread title, doublem

Jerry Owens should follow Olney Guillen.

Gavin Floyd's been really, really good this year.

doublem23

That gives me more confidence in Broadway.

kingpin_rcs
In CLE, bottom 9, 9-9 tie.

sox1970
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Rongey is saying Richard is starting tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice title, doub!!!

Gavin Floyd is your Game 1 starter...PERIOD!!! He's always showing why he is Mr. Dominant. Gutsy performance, especially in King Steroid Boy.

Sockinchisox
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Per Cowley, Richard going tomorrow.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 09:49 PM

BTW; Jerry Owens sucks.

Hopefully, Oswaldo will take notice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
A very good win. At worst they hold the lead with still another day off the slate.

Given the choice I'd rather have Broadway go on Broadway tomorrow. Let's hope his show doesn't close early if he does get the call.

I don't have a lot of faith in Richard. As someone else said a few days ago, he'll be great for three innings then get torched.

Lip

Noneck
09-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Hopefully, Oswaldo will take notice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
That is the point. I am sure Owens is doing the best he can but is put in a situation he should not be put in.

october23sp
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
This was a big win for so many reasons...the Bullpen finally had a good night and we beat the Yankees which are a team you will always have to beat to go anywhere lets take the next two and Go Indians.

sox1970
09-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Wednesday: Richard (Danks in the pen)
Thursday: Vazquez
Friday: Buehrle
Saturday: Floyd
Sunday: Danks

Vazquez, Buehrle, and Floyd will pitch on 3 days rest.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Rongey is saying Richard is starting tomorrow.

That's ****ing brutal. I like the potential of Dick, but he sucks at this point. I'll admit that Broadway blows too, but then we go back to why we didn't put a claim on Bryd. Kenneth was probably too focused on drafting his kid too early......

Noneck

Is that a fact?

october23sp

That makes me very nervous.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Science has become so advanced these days. Isn't there a way they can clone Contreras so that we can still use his services this season?

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Champaign:

I asked Mark Gonzales the same question and he said the Indians flat out would not deal him to a divisional rival. The only way they'd even consider it would be for the Sox to absolutely overpay highly to get him.

Just for what that's worth to you.

Lip

tstrike2000
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
:twinslose

soltrain21
09-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Today was a big turn of events.

It has to be in Nathan's head at this point. Good for us.

Jaffar
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM

:bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

doublem23
09-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Champaign:

I asked Mark Gonzales the same question and he said the Indians flat out would not deal him to a divisional rival. The only way they'd even consider it would be for the Sox to absolutely overpay highly to get him.

Just for what that's worth to you.

Lip

No, Lip... Obviously Kenny is just being an idiot for not grabbing a washed up starter.

PicktoCLick72
09-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I could see the Indians scoring one for Lee tomorrow and losing 2-1, but having them win more then 1 game is much more than I could have asked for.

hawkjt
09-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Indians made nathan throw strikes and then hit him hard.
Sox take note....do not chase his low pitches..make him get it up and we too can score off of nathan.

Sox need to keep the pressure on by winning tomorrow...and hope Cliff Lee is still unhittable. I so much want to go to minny with some cushion. And I do not want that Indian series at home to mean anything ...indians playing tough right now.

turners56
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Not much went wrong tonight. Big win considering Richard goes tommorow. We need at least a split.

Zisk77
09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh, I'm so Happy!:tongue: Welome back Bonerko. Gavin was Awesome, wow!
Nice game for BA and Uribe as well. Jr. looking more and more dangerous and Thome with a day off.

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Very nice win. Bullpen did their job.

A lot of backwards K's tonight...Owens I'm looking at you. Just going to say he didn't have it tonight.

Go Tribe!!!

And...nice thread title....

Only real reason I can think of to play Owens tonight is Ozzie didn't want to risk putting Wise in a funk by playing him against a tough LH pitcher. Swish needed the night off anyway, that left Owens to take one for the team.

Still, in the end it works out as almost everyone else contributes offensively.

Oh an anyone and everyone who talked **** about Gavin Floyd prior to the start of this season needs to take a step back and reevaluate their own super expert stud talent evaluator skills. They ain't that mad and you don't get any props... Even if you have to mumble to keep your ego from blowing up your tiny little brains, you need to say out loud, "Maybe KW does know what he's doing..."

:winner

:twinslose:

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

:)

:moonwalk:

turners56
09-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Nice thread title btw. That crazy Yankees announcer is hilarious.

Bill Naharodny
09-16-2008, 10:44 PM

I heard the same thing. Richard going tomorrow is one thing. But the rest of it only makes sense if they're worried about giving Danks lots of time off (6 days rest under this scenario). Otherwise, Vazquez could go on 3 days rest and everyone else would get 4. Strange.

GlassSox
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow, how about that Tribe hanging tough and getting the win. Sox were solid tonight and it was a good win.

sox1970
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I heard the same thing. Richard going tomorrow is one thing. But the rest of it only makes sense if they're worried about giving Danks lots of time off (6 days rest under this scenario). Otherwise, Vazquez could go on 3 days rest and everyone else would get 4. Strange.

I think it's all about setting up the rotation the way they want it the rest of the way.

They are forced to use a 5th starter tomorrow.

They want their three best options for Minnesota--Vazquez, Buehrle, and Floyd.

..and they want Vazquez and Buehrle to pitch the last two games against Cleveland, if needed.

I like it.

mccoydp
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM

'Nuff said.

Vernam
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice Win. Pivotal point was Floyd k'ing steroid boy Giambi.I don't want to say that's up there with El Duque in Boston during Game 3 of the ALDS, but damn, what a ballsy sequence by Gavin. :worship: In front of a packed house at Yankee Stadium with the bases loaded, that should erase a lot of doubt about his mental toughness. (Maybe even his own lingering doubt, as if the preceding 149 games weren't enough . . .)

Nice to see the balanced offense with timely hitting. REALLY nice to see Konerko bounce back. And BA with a big RBI.

All combined with another Nathan meltdown, and :bandance::bandance:.

Vernam

Bill Naharodny
09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I think it's all about setting up the rotation the way they want it the rest of the way.

They are forced to use a 5th starter tomorrow.

They want their three best options for Minnesota--Vazquez, Buehrle, and Floyd.

..and they want Vazquez and Buehrle to pitch the last two games against Cleveland, if needed.

I like it.

Yeah, I've got no problem with starting Richard or Broadway tomorrow. I see why they'd do that. But then they're needlessly putting these guys on 3 days rest after that. You shouldn't juggle your starters to do that.

And for me, in any event, I'd take Danks in any important game over Vazquez -- anywhere, anytime. But I know that others may have a different view on that one.

FielderJones
09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I've got no problem with starting Richard or Broadway tomorrow. I see why they'd do that. But then they're needlessly putting these guys on 3 days rest after that. You shouldn't juggle your starters to do that.

And for me, in any event, I'd take Danks in any important game over Vazquez -- anywhere, anytime. But I know that others may have a different view on that one.

I'll take Vazquez, because it's more likely I'm going to get 7 innings out of him, and I don't have to use crap out of the bullpen. You can give Danks a 7 run lead, but if you need 3 innings of bullpen even that is in jeopardy.

I trust Coop and Ozzie to put the team in the best position to win this.

Bill Naharodny
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I'll take Vazquez, because it's more likely I'm going to get 7 innings out of him, and I don't have to use crap out of the bullpen. You can give Danks a 7 run lead, but if you need 3 innings of bullpen even that is in jeopardy.

Good point as to how late they go in games, but -- if I had one game to win -- I'd take my chance with Danks. Javy usually gets nicked up somewhere along the line. I know that's hardly scientific, and that John has been dicey in the last month or so, but I just feel that Javy makes mistakes here and there that costs you games. Just my two cents.

jabrch
09-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh an anyone and everyone who talked **** about Gavin Floyd prior to the start of this season needs to take a step back and reevaluate their own super expert stud talent evaluator skills. They ain't that mad and you don't get any props... Even if you have to mumble to keep your ego from blowing up your tiny little brains, you need to say out loud, "Maybe KW does know what he's doing..."

Fat ****ing chance...

cheezheadsoxfan
09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice to come home from work to such good news. My second job won't let me go on the Internet (the nerve) so I just got the news. Sounds like Gavin is becoming a real ace. Freddy who???:cool:

october23sp
09-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Lets hope Cliff Lee can get it done tommorow and the Sox win and take a 3.5 game lead into our KC series and the Twins into their Rays series.

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Carasco has only pitched to 4 batters or something in the last week. He'll be available to go 3+ innings tomorrow. If Broadway can give us 4. Then they can hand it to DJ for the next 3 and close as usual. If Broadway melts down, they can hand it to Richard and let him mop up and worry about Thursday.

Someone is going to have to go on 3 days rest on Thursday, either Danks or Vazquez unless they want to hand the ball to Richard - something I don't see happening. I don't see them tweaking much else beyond that though until they absolutely have to. Buehrle to close the Twinkie series and possibly the division crown on normal rest sounds like a real nice plan to me.

Next weekend doesn't worry me nearly as much as because the offense will be healthier and we will be at home. Yeah, guys would probably go on short rest if needed, but it might come down to needing one win in a three game set. I'd definitely toss a rookie out there to keep things on pace and not tax the arms going into the playoffs in that case and rely on my studs to get it done on normal rest. Push comes to shove you've got Gavin going on normal rest for the makeup game and then Buehrle on normal rest at home in the one game playoff.

I'll take those odds...

munchman33
09-16-2008, 11:15 PM

While I'm very happy to be wrong about Gavin, he's pitching with stuff like he did prior to arriving here. What he brought to the table physically last year and this year are night and day.

I said before the season the only way you'd be right and we'd win the division was if the pipe dream scenerio of Gavin, Danks, and Contreras all having average to good seasons coupled with complete meltdowns by both the Indians and the Tigers. I don't mind at all that ridiculously unlikely scenerio coming to fruition. And now with the Twins behind and facing Lee tomorrow, I'd even say that it's very likely we'll pull it out! :D:

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 11:17 PM
While I'm very happy to be wrong about Gavin, he's pitching with stuff like he did prior to arriving here. What he brought to the table physically last year and this year are night and day.

I said before the season the only way you'd be right and we'd win the division was if the pipe dream scenerio of Gavin, Danks, and Contreras all having average to good seasons coupled with complete meltdowns by both the Indians and the Tigers. I don't mind at all that ridiculously unlikely scenerio coming to fruition. And now with the Twins behind and facing Lee tomorrow, I'd even say that it's very likely we'll pull it out! :D:

:KW:
*cough cough*

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Remember how back in February/March we looked at the schedule and saw four games in Yankee Stadium in the September of its last season and thought "oh ****, they'll be in the thick of a division race with the Red Sox and the Twins will be getting ready to play the 100 loss Tampa Bay Rays!"?

Glad we actually play these games!

guillensdisciple
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Man I am not yet ready to say anything about this years team but the team the Sox will have next year will be a beast. We have 4 quality pithcers and I assume Kenny will fill that fifth. Two of them are young with much more potential, Beurhle is proven and a leader, and Javy can just shut people out/

The hitting will be there especially since I expect a better 1 and 2 hitter. The bullpen will be fine since Thornton, Jenks, and Linebrink will be back.

Damn this team is scary.

Oh and for those of you that think the sox don;t match up with playoff team, just look at how dangerous we really are.

SBSoxFan
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Only real reason I can think of to play Owens tonight is Ozzie didn't want to risk putting Wise in a funk by playing him against a tough LH pitcher. Swish needed the night off anyway, that left Owens to take one for the team.

Still, in the end it works out as almost everyone else contributes offensively.

:twinslose:

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

:)

:moonwalk:

"There are 29 other teams in major league baseball who would like to have Gavin Floyd." :D:

cards press box
09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
In a thread titled "Ozzie Says Floyd Looks Great!," I posted this (post #43):

Floyd does have an excellent curve. To succeed, Floyd has to have command of the curve. Floyd also has to be aggressive and attack hitters. Of course, the same thing could be said about all pitchers. But the point is this -- Floyd just turned 25. Jim Bunning (and, no I'm not saying that Floyd = Bunning) didn't hit his stride with the Tigers until he turned 25 and Bunning is in the Hall of Fame. Curt Schilling also had his breakout season at 25. And Sandy Koufax wasn't Sandy Koufax until he turned 26. I'm not saying that Floyd will turn into any of these pitchers. I am saying that some posters are writing this guy off way too early.

O.K., I'm happy to say that I didn't write off Gavin Floyd and waited to see how he developed. Like Bunning and Schilling, Floyd apparently had his breakout season at 25.

munchman33
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
:KW:
*cough cough*

Oh, and you're pretty good at what you do. Nick Swisher aside.

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Remember how back in February/March we looked at the schedule and saw four games in Yankee Stadium in the September of its last season and thought "oh ****, they'll be in the thick of a division race with the Red Sox and the Twins will be getting ready to play the 100 loss Tampa Bay Rays!"?

Glad we actually play these games!I don't know how many people expected the Sox to be in contention at this point, but nobody expected the Twins to be here after losing Hunter and Santana. Then again, that was before the legend of Denard Span and other fluke performances.

voodoochile
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh, and you're pretty good at what you do. Nick Swisher aside.

:?: :o: :moonwalk: :thud:

slavko
09-16-2008, 11:30 PM
That is the point. I am sure Owens is doing the best he can but is put in a situation he should not be put in.

Are you referring to Major League Baseball?

Nice to come home from work to such good news. My second job won't let me go on the Internet (the nerve) so I just got the news. Sounds like Gavin is becoming a real ace. Freddy who???:cool:

Of the 4 starters who have been called ace by someone this year, Gavin is the closest to a real ace. I don't think he is an ace, just the closest.

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't know how many people expected the Sox to be in contention at this point, but nobody expected the Twins to be here after losing Hunter and Santana. Then again, that was before the legend of Denard Span and other fluke performances.
Ok, I took poetic license with the part about the Twins. But some of us expected the Sox to be competitive with the powerhouse Indians and Tigers.

Vernam
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
BBTN lists Broadway as our probable tomorrow, fwiw.

Vernam

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Glad we actually play these games!
Maybe YOU did; but, I have had confidence in the Sox since before Day 1. :wink::cool:

Noneck
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Are you referring to Major League Baseball?

Sure at this point with September callups as a pinch runner only. Next year I am referring to MLB.

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Ok, I took poetic license with the part about the Twins. But some of us expected the Sox to be competitive with the powerhouse Indians and Tigers.Oh, I thought the Sox would be good, too. I am not going to say I had their magic number at 10 with a week and a half left, but I thought they would be competetive. The Twins... notsomuch.

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh, I thought the Sox would be good, too. I am not going to say I had their magic number at 10 with a week and a half left, but I thought they would be competetive. The Twins... notsomuch.
Yeah, most of us had the Twins in 4th ahead of the Royals after they "lost" Hunter and Johan in the off season.

We should have listened to Kenny when he said the Big Trade (Cabrera and Wills) made the Tigers able to compete with the Sox.

johnnyg83
09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
16 wins from Gavin Floyd. 16?

WHo had him down for six? We've found two stud pitchers (with sub 4 eras) that we didn't have this time last year. Bravo Kenny!

For virtually nuthin! See Carlos Silva.

Boondock Saint
09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Lets hope Cliff Lee can get it done tommorow and the Sox win and take a 3.5 game lead into our KC series and the Twins into their Rays series.

That would be absolutely huge for us. We'd have the lead, the momentum and all the confidence in the world. The Twins, on the other hand would be down both statistically and spiritually, and they'd be looking at one hell of an uphill battle.

I don't want to get too far ahead here, but things might just be taking a turn for the Sox.

DeadMoney
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Gavin Floyd is 16-7! And, the team had some huge 2-out hits late in tonight's game!

I'm definitely feeling real good about the Sox chances of playing past September 28.

For memories sake, take a look at the 'same day' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250920104) of the 2005 season (the second to last Tuesday night of the season, that is) ... things definitely turned the corner on that night too.

Harry Potter
09-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Gavin Floyd is 16-7! And, the team had some huge 2-out hits late in tonight's game!

I'm definitely feeling real good about the Sox chances of playing past September 28.

For memories sake, take a look at the 'same day' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250920104) of the 2005 season (the second to last Tuesday night of the season, that is) ... things definitely turned the corner on that night too.

I love when you analyze, DM

#1swisher
09-17-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't want to say that's up there with El Duque in Boston during Game 3 of the ALDS, but damn, what a ballsy sequence by Gavin. :worship: In front of a packed house at Yankee Stadium with the bases loaded, that should erase a lot of doubt about his mental toughness. (Maybe even his own lingering doubt, as if the preceding 149 games weren't enough . . .)

Vernam

Your powerful,vivid comparison to El Duque has given me an even greater appreciation of Gavin Floyd.

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Great win, with the composure Floyd continues to show, I would have 0 problem with starting him on the road in the playoffs.

Hate to complain about something in a good win, but Owens? What the hell? ...

SoxandtheCityTee
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
A big, big night.

The strike out of Pornstache McSteroids was indeed huge. Another moment for me was in the 7th when Ozzie went out there after what's-his-face stole third. Hawk announced that Ozzie was making the change and then instead Ozzie talks to Gavin, who says he's fine, and leaves him in. I think Hawk might've got a bit choked up at this. So then Abreu makes the last out and we are looking to the pen for only six outs, which just looms so large these days.

Our little Gavin, all growed up. I can't stand it!

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:46 AM
A big, big night.

The strike out of Pornstache McSteroids was indeed huge. Another moment for me was in the 7th when Ozzie went out there after what's-his-face stole third. Hawk announced that Ozzie was making the change and then instead Ozzie talks to Gavin, who says he's fine, and leaves him in. I think Hawk might've got a bit choked up at this. So then Abreu makes the last out and we are looking to the pen for only six outs, which just looms so large these days.

I think Gavin was thinking, in the back of his head, "Hell no, you're not taking me out with THOSE guys in the bullpen!" Gavin has shrewd pitching tactics. He's a winner.

hawkjt
09-17-2008, 01:56 AM
A big, big night.

Yea, I caught that... Hawk clammed up there ,interesting.
Gavin is a tremendous bonus this year. We are 18 over and he is 9 over. He is 6-2 in his last 8. Down the stretch..this is winning time and he has really responded. His confidence is high and it shows.

TDog
09-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I think Gavin was thinking, in the back of his head, "Hell no, you're not taking me out with THOSE guys in the bullpen!" Gavin has shrewd pitching tactics. He's a winner.

All starting pitchers should want to stay in the game.

Floyd pitched a great game tonight. I was happy to see him come out for the seventh. I was happy to see him left in to finish the seventh. I was most happy to see him finish it successfully.

The bullpen is so much better when it doesn't have to come out until the eighth.

I didn't doubt Floyd before this season. I didn't doubt the White Sox.

delben91
09-17-2008, 06:37 AM
All starting pitchers should want to stay in the game.

Floyd pitched a great game tonight. I was happy to see him come out for the seventh. I was happy to see him left in to finish the seventh. I was most happy to see him finish it successfully.

The bullpen is so much better when it doesn't have to come out until the eighth.

I didn't doubt Floyd before this season. I didn't doubt the White Sox.

Gavin Floyd will never be a solid pitcher until they let him go 14 innings each time out, or send him to the minors to pitch 14 innings every time out there! :tongue:

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 06:37 AM
I don't know how many times Floyd has picked up big wins for the Sox this year, but he has been absolutely lights out whenever the Sox needed a win. Just look at the series against the Red Sox. I am pretty sure the majority of people thought the White Sox were dead to rights against them in the last game on the road but Gavin shut the door.

He might be our only consistency on the road. Danks has pitched well in all situations but we seem to lose it whenever he is in= or just not score any runs.

delben91
09-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Kenneth was probably too focused on drafting his kid too early......

Outstanding.

TomBradley72
09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
A big, big night.

Yep. You hate to "overstate" it...but two major developmental moments for Gavin. Striking out Giambi with the bases loaded. Then Ozzie leaves him out there to finish the 7th and he gets Abreu. VERY BIG for Gavin.

I'll also tip my cap to Ozzie. It takes some real stones to leave Floyd in there in the 7th. Most push button managers wouldn't even consider it. But Guillen does. At Yankee Stadium. In late September. With a 1.5 game lead. He's not a perfect manager. But he's a very good one. And his handling of Floyd tonight could pay some nice dividends in the final weeks of the pennant race and (hopefully) in October. And for all the idiots that claim he can't develop young players...please take note.

Zisk77
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
16 wins from Gavin Floyd. 16?

WHo had him down for six? We've found two stud pitchers (with sub 4 eras) that we didn't have this time last year. Bravo Kenny!

For virtually nuthin! See Carlos Silva.

But, But, but Carlos Silva is as Good as Jon Garland!:scratch:*

*I know u didn't say that it was just a thread that people were arguing over the winter.

Zisk77
09-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Yep. You hate to "overstate" it...but two major developmental moments for Gavin. Striking out Giambi with the bases loaded. Then Ozzie leaves him out there to finish the 7th and he gets Abreu. VERY BIG for Gavin.

I'll also tip my cap to Ozzie. It takes some real stones to leave Floyd in there in the 7th. Most push button managers wouldn't even consider it. But Guillen does. At Yankee Stadium. In late September. With a 1.5 game lead. He's not a perfect manager. But he's a very good one. And his handling of Floyd tonight could pay some nice dividends in the final weeks of the pennant race and (hopefully) in October. And for all the idiots that claim he can't develop young players...please take note.

I remember in 2003 ozzie letting Big Jon pitch out of a similar jam in the first week of the season in Yankee stadium. Jon was expecting the Jerry manuel hook, he got out of the inning, sox won, and big jon became Big jon on that day not .500 pitcher he was.

oeo
09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
That's ****ing brutal. I like the potential of Dick, but he sucks at this point. I'll admit that Broadway blows too, but then we go back to why we didn't put a claim on Bryd. Kenneth was probably too focused on drafting his kid too early......

Your jokes are ****ing brutal. You must be a riot to be around.

palehozenychicty
09-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I dig the Sterling hate. If any of you think that Farmio or Hawk is bad, then the Sterling/Waldman crew take it to a new level. The errors are astounding.

Oh, and Gavin is a battler. He doesn't make it pretty, but he gets it done.

palehozenychicty
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM

That's what I'm saying. Hughes has been awful this year, but his upside is far more than Broadway. If we had him, he'd be marketed as an ace.

asindc
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
That's what I'm saying. Hughes has been awful this year, but his upside is far more than Broadway. If we had him, he'd be marketed as an ace.

Well, the NYY were marketing him as an ace starting with his debut last year, so no difference there.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Way to get the job done. Magic number is at 10. Keep it up.

Railsplitter
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
:bandance:

I believe the Yankees' "Tragic Number" is lower than our Magic Number.

Chicken Dinner
09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Dear Ozzie,

Please do not start Jerry Owens anymore. He should only be used for late inning pinch running. You obviously felt that he was not good enough to be on this team all year long so why would he be good enough to start in September during a Divisional race? Also please limit your use of Boone Logan and Erin Wassermann to blow outs.

Thanks,

The Fans

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Well, the NYY were marketing him as an ace starting with his debut last year, so no difference there.
I think you guys are forgetting Broadway was a first round draft pick and if he locates the guy has great stuff to throw at hitters. He can't overpower hitters but he can beat them because of all the movement he puts on his pitches. Kind of like Greg Maddux--- well not really but you guys know what I am getting at.

asindc
09-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I think you guys are forgetting Broadway was a first round draft pick and if he locates the guy has great stuff to throw at hitters. He can't overpower hitters but he can beat them because of all the movement he puts on his pitches. Kind of like Greg Maddux--- well not really but you guys know what I am getting at.

I was only responding to the comment about Hughes probably being marketed as an ace if he played for the Sox. The Yanks have been marketing him that way since the beginning, so I see no difference in that regard.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
:bandance:

I believe the Yankees' "Tragic Number" is lower than our Magic Number.
If we win the next 2 games, the Yankees will be officially eliminated.

palehozenychicty
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM

True. I still think that he can be a good pitcher, but it may not happen with the Yankees. I was responding to the sentiment that he's a hapless pitcher, when he's all of 22 years old and had freak injuries to his body.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Boone Logan = Streaky, funny....don't know what you are going to get any given night.

JungleJimR
09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't want to say that's up there with El Duque in Boston during Game 3 of the ALDS, but damn, what a ballsy sequence by Gavin. :worship: In front of a packed house at Yankee Stadium with the bases loaded, that should erase a lot of doubt about his mental toughness. (Maybe even his own lingering doubt, as if the preceding 149 games weren't enough . . .)

:bandance::bandance:.

Vernam

Did the radio/tv announcers mention how since there were 2 outs and Gavin was in full wind up, all 3 Yankee runners had huge running "lead offs" ? - ARod, who was on 1st, would actually tag 3rd just as Giambi hit his many fouls. All three runs would have easily scored on just a single.

Floyd was frozen in the moment. And the place was going nuts. I said to my friend that this moment was the game. Floyd literally wore Giambi out!

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Did the radio/tv announcers mention how since there were 2 outs and Gavin was in full wind up, all 3 Yankee runners had huge running "lead offs" ? - ARod, who was on 1st, would actually tag 3rd just as Giambi hit his many fouls. All three runs would have easily scored on just a single.

Floyd was frozen in the moment. And the place was going nuts. I said to my friend that this moment was the game. Floyd literally wore Giambi out!
Hawk and DJ mentioned it; but, the cameras didn't show it to that much detail. That's wild. Thankfully Gavin muscled Steroid Boy and the Yankees to the side.

thedudeabides
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Yep, this is the guy they refused to part with to get Johan. I'm not saying he still can't be a good pitcher, but I bet they'd like to have that one back.